clothing/sensory sensitivity
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
barb marko

Elmwood, MA

#64 Oct 24, 2010
what is everyone doing for winter coats? Seems to be hard to find-does anyone have any ideas?Please send me answer at [email protected]
Thanks
Pam

Bridgeport, CT

#65 Oct 30, 2010
My son is 5 and is on the autism spectrum and has sensory issues. He is in a Kindergarten special ed program in our school district and has to wear a school uniform. He does not tolerate the traditional uniform pants and does not have the hand strength and dexterity to zip and button his pants. In the past I have had to buy cargo pants with elastic waist, cut off the cargo pockets (not in dress code) and hem them up. Trouble is, my son has gained a lot of weight over the past year and it is hard finding elastic waisted khaki pants in his waist size. He is being tested for Prader Willi syndrome to see if that is part of his extreme weight gain. For the time being he is using a pair of soft cotton khaki pants that I made from a pajama pattern. They aren't the greatest but they are the only thing he will wear right now. I am not the best seamstress in the world and I don't have a serger to do all the stretchy stuff. Paul's favorite pants are sweatpants with out elastic at the ankles, but he can't wear them for school. Found a place with great pants, but my son is bigger than their largest size. Anyone with ideas or information? I work full time and don't have a lot of time to sew between my other kids, Special Olympics, swim lessons, etc.
Pam

Bridgeport, CT

#66 Oct 30, 2010
Also, my son wants everything to be the same. He will not even wear his new shoes because they look different from his old ones. The last 3 pairs we were able to get the same style, but it has been discontinued. He has a wide foot and wears only New Balance. Thinking about finding grey and black shoe dye and trying to make them look more like the others, but I don't want to expose him to more chemicals.
Jennifer

Wichita Falls, TX

#67 Mar 1, 2011
My son was born with Hydrocephalus and I see a lot of the same traits as with autism. He was hypersensitive on his face and oral also. I found a t-shirt with spandex - no tags or seams and this has made a huge change in him. He can now focus for longer periods and is much quieter and calmer. Wish there were more shirts like this.
Janet

Thorneside, Australia

#68 Apr 17, 2011
I'm so happy I found this thread.My almost 5yr old daughter is like so many other kids out there! It's such a relief to know she's normal.For her singlets are out, she'll wear seamless knickers with a protest, socks must be turned inside out and have no patterns fluff etc, nothing fitted over her back. She runs off crying and yelling "Buggie" if what she wearing is not right. But our biggest problem is the car seat, she can not wear clothing while in it (we have insisted on knickers). It drives me nuts having to undress and then re-dress her whenever we go out. We took her to the GP, he said its attention seeking behaviour and prescribed Torfanil. I think she's very sensitive, she can smell things that others can't and she describes tastes differently to most.
Betty Boop

Canada

#69 Apr 19, 2011
http://www.freeyurko.bizland.com/vacgen.html

Just read this. Saw it on another topic.
Frustrasted

Berlin, NH

#70 Oct 1, 2011
I feel your pain! My daughter is 6 with all the same issues. It is very expensive and discouraging. I also noticed it with her as an infant. I started noticing on car rides she would scream until I took her coat or dress off then she was fine. This year has been very difficult. She wants to wear the same thing to school everyday. It has to be very soft thing t-shirts and shorts. Change of season is very frustrating.
Sharon wrote:
Thank God for you Jessica
My daughter is seven now (this disorder has been since infancy and worsening every year) and although she is not autistic her sensitivity to clothing matches the hyper-sensitivity that is seen in autism. She is now insisting on wearing only three very soft thin fabric shirts (an emblem on the shirt or backing makes her crazy) no pants a few skorts, no night clothes (she insist on wearing the same cut off fitted legging and one of her three day shirts). Her clothing has to be soft pretty and no tag no seam. Underwear is two sizes to small and one brand with one cartoon character and help us all if they stop making her socks one brand seamless socks. Shoe shopping means going to every store to find ones where she can't feel the arch and the backs don't touch her ankles. The change of seasons is dreaded because we are having difficulty finding pants she will wear or a coat. This child disorder is expensive and frustrating for her as well as us.
FBOMBER

Winnipeg, Canada

#71 Oct 1, 2011
Its sad how vaccines do this to them.
Stephanie

Waterford, MI

#72 Nov 22, 2011
CPearl wrote:
My daughter is eight and we have had morning battles over clothing since she was three. I'll be the first to admit I have almost zero patience with this issue. Every time I try to choose her clothes carefully with all of her particulars noted, there ends up being at least one little thing wrong with each item. SO, she ends up each season with a closet full of lovely clothes, only wearing the same couple of items over and over until they're worn through. I am sure her teachers and classmates believe we do not have the necessary resources to clothe our child!
At any rate, here are her particulars:
No tags (of course)Even those screen printings now used in place of tags should be eliminated, as they too can easily annoy this little wearer.
Everything must be stretchy and soft.
No wide waistbands (this is a nightmare since all you can seem to find are wide bands right now)
Everything must be loose, to the point of falling off!
No seams in socks. Actually no seams in ANYTHING if she had her way.
No fleece-- it is too thick, too hot.
When it comes to dresses:
No Empire waist. This kind of dress LOOKs comfy, but she finds the seam at the chest very annoying.
No collars, no buttons, no appliques, no tie-backs!
If my daughter could wear a napsack made of t-shirt material with no seams and three gaping holes for her arms and head, and NOTHING else, she would!
There are days I'm at my wit's end-- I'm tired of handling this with sensitivity all the time-- I just don't care anymore. I just want it to end.:-(
This sounds exactly like my daughter that is 8. She won't wear pants or long socks or long sleeves so living in Michigan has been a major challenge. She is tall for her age so the clothing at softclothing.net no longer fits. Just wondering where you purchase your clothing?
Winnipeg

New Hyde Park, NY

#73 Nov 22, 2011
FBOMBER wrote:
Its sad how vaccines do this to them.
I'm desperately sorry, don't know what got into me. Mothers with children of special needs are carrying on with gratitude their common problems with their kids' clothing. Having a real dialogue.
And I go butting in. It's a bad habit of mine. I'm seeing a therapist, but it is a slow process.
Jaime Dubey

Westport, MA

#74 Feb 12, 2012
Jessica Ralli wrote:
This was one of the first places I posted my idea about Soft, and 3 years later--we finally made it happen! Thanks to yours and many parents ideas and encouragement along the way. To recap:
I am a special education teacher and just launched a clothing company for kids with sensory clothing issues. So far the feedback has been great from parents and kids. You can find us at www.softclothing.net . Also, we have resources on our blog and social network to help find therapeutic methods to help with sensory sensitivity.
I continue to hear from hundreds of parents weekly who struggle with this issue and for whom mornings are especially challenging--hopefully we can help!
Hi my daughter has been diagnosed with high functioning Autism along with Sensory issues behavior problems anxiety and panic disorder plus OCD. Ok I could go on all night with everything they have told me. My question is: Your clothing line was actually suggested to me because she will only wear 1 pair of socks 2 pairs of strechy pants and 2 shirts. I really must look like a bad mother when she wears the same things day in and day out. She is very sensitive to all clothing, so bad that last year I would drive her to school naked and when we got there I told her if she didnt put her clothes on she would go in naked. It was always still a fight but I got the clothes on her a few times with the help of a teacher. I am a single stay at home mother, she has way to many appointments for me to even look for a job in this economy. They dont want someone that has to take lots of time off. I am trying to find out if there is a way her health insurance will pay for the clothing where a doctor recommended it. Please help me out!! Thanks
Maria C

United States

#75 Jul 10, 2012
I bought softclothing.net and my son loved the shirts. He is now 13 and I cannot find anything that will fit him. Does anyone know where I can find clothing for a teenager with sensory issues???
Jessica

Okeechobee, FL

#76 Aug 23, 2012
My daughter is almost 6 and for the last 2 yrs her sensativity to clothing has gotten worse and she was finally diagnose yesterday. Her pediatrician said it was a phase when I showed concern my child would not wear panties. Well the phase went on and still is for over 2 yrs now. Every morning when she wakes up she is fine until the clothes have to go on then she flips out rips or tries to get to scissors to cut her clothes up and has to hear the elastic on her clothes rip. I have spent so much money on clothes that she liked when trying on at the store and then once its time to wear the clothes at home its a nightmare of her ruining them. I thought she was bipolar or something and it started to affect my mental life. Now that an occupational therapist has finally diagnosed her I am hoping to have better mornings without meltdowns.
Rene

London, UK

#77 Jul 8, 2013
Hi

Just an observation
I am 50 (male)and have suffered with sensitivity to certain clothes and fabrics all of my life, without any personality disorder related to it (most websites immediately seem to indicate the person is likely to suffer ADHD or other disorders on the autism spectrum).
I am simply intolerant and allergic to certain fabrics and products. Wool is the worst, any materials containing this or nylon I completely stay away from.
I agree the main problem is that most clothing lines use either of the above and are often finished with sharp nylon tags which I always cut out of my clothing.
I'd love nothing better than all clothing to be made from soft cotton but have in he past found silk to be equally ideal.(tracksuits are lovely but look awfull most of the time!)
I used to also suffer in early years with Eczema which may be related and I'm also allergic to latex, not sure if this is related but worth looking out for too.
My advise is to let a child (or adult) feel the material before purchase and often second hand is more comfortable, worn or frequently washed clothing is softer and thus more suitable. A looser fit often helps too.

I hope this puts into perspective that especially in children, the above symptoms don't always indicate another type of disorder.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Yale study warns of vaccine dangers, links immu... (Mar '17) Dec 13 AUTISM LITE 12
News Georgia Family Settles Autism Suit (Mar '08) Dec 13 VACCINES CAUSE AU... 119
News DNA Scan Uncovers 18 Genes Newly Associated Wit... (Mar '17) Dec 13 VACCINES CAUSE AU... 13
News Vaccination and autism Dec 10 UNAVOIDABLY UNSAFE 1
News Autism, mercury, aluminum and vaccine-induced e... Dec 10 UNAVOIDABLY UNSAFE 1
News Q: Are Vaccines Safe? Dec 10 UNAVOIDABLY UNSAFE 2
Do you hate autistic 'people'? Read this. Dec 5 A POS 2
More from around the web