Vitamin D deficiency-- autism link?

Posted in the Autism Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mimi

United States

#1 Jan 9, 2008
I recently saw an interesting article about a possible autism-vitamin D deficiency link in the Vitamin D Council website. It was really quite convincing--at least to me. Autism rates started to climb about the same time as people were advised to put on sunscreen when they went out in the sun. However, our government did not advise people to take more vitamin D at the same time, to make up for it. Since then, the rate for rickets has been climbing; so much so, that the Canadian Pediatric Society recently recommended that infants recieve 400 IU Vitamin D daily, and above the 55th parallel, 800 IU daily in the winter. It also recommends that pregnant and nursing mothers ask their doctors about taking 2,000 IU daily. This theory seems to explain why autism is more common in the children of well-educated parents. These are exactly the same parents that are probably more likely to follow the advice to use sunscreen and to breastfeed. Breast milk has very little vitamin D, expecially if the mother is deficient, while formulas do contain vitamin D. Another study showed that supplementing with vitamin D reduces the incidence of juvenile diabetes. Vitamin D deficiency is also linked to other autoimmune diseases, such as multiple sclerosis. A friend of mine has an autistic child, and she has always used sunscreen when going outside. I don't know any others with autism in the family, but I think it would be interesting to find out what percent of mothers of autistic children used sunscreen or stayed out of the sun. I hope someone does a study in Canada in several years to see if the recommendation for infants and pregnant women to take more vitamin D results in the decrease of autism. For more information about the possible autism-vitamin D deficiency link, see:
www.vitamindcouncil.com/health/autism
Ivar T

Stavanger, Norway

#2 Jan 10, 2008
I think it is important that you are inform that most people shouldn't need to take things like this seriously, cuz if they were to take all stuff like this seriously they wouldn't afford it all.

I've a blunt personality, ;)
friend

AOL

#3 Jan 10, 2008
all articles can be convincing. there's about 100 plus theories out there- and most of them do not require spending money on studies.

the ozone layer also is not the same as when our grandparents spent the whole day outside. there are many factors to this beyond the idea it may be a factor to autism.

many had/ have autism within the family history, it just wasn't diagnosed or misdiagnosed. and when a child today is diagnosed, the simple shock of it pretty much prevents thinking about past family members.
Robin M

Stockton, CA

#4 Feb 26, 2008
I viewed the Vitamin D Council's website as well, and found it all very compelling. It just seems to make more sense to me thatn other theories in terms of the timeline correllation between the sunscreen campaign and autism rates increase. I would really like to see more research, and for now, I will get twenty minutes of sunshine a day!(I am pregnant...)
Parent of Aspergers kid

AOL

#5 Feb 28, 2008
Today at my son's psych eval, I explained to the psychologist that this is the hardest time of year for us. It seems every February, his behaviors and his focusng problems peak. I was told he might have a Vit. D deficiency. This made a lot of sense to me. I've been racking my brain for the last week, what is it... our heating system, different foods, change in schedule, etc. Without going into the logistics of it, everything on my list was ruled out. It never occurred to me...lack of sun. We live in the cold northeast. Now if I could only get my @#$%# pediatrician's office to call me back and tell me if a Vit. D supplement is safe and how much to give him.
Will

United States

#6 May 28, 2008
1000 IU of vit. D per day is recommeded. It is very difficult to consume too much vit. D. However, sun light is needed to convert vit D to a biologically active form. So dietary vit. D plus sun light are required to avoid a deficiency.
diehlclan

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#7 Jun 26, 2008
I am the mother of 2 autistic boys. I recently found the article you mention. Interestingly, when I did further research, I found a link between Graves Autoimmune thyroid disease and Vit. D deficiency in mothers and neonates. I was diagnosed with Graves disease after my first autistic son was 8 months. But, I had all symptoms prior. I have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer...another link now exists with bc and vit D deficiency. All of this makes my head spin considering I looked into this not due to cancer, autism or Graves, but constant debilitating joint pain, muscle weakness and fatigue that my PCP cannot diagnose. Turns out that Vit D deficiencies cause these symptoms and my related diseases. I'm headed to doc on Monday to check calcium and D levels. I'll keep you posted on results.
diehlclan

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#8 Jun 26, 2008
Parent of Aspergers kid wrote:
Today at my son's psych eval, I explained to the psychologist that this is the hardest time of year for us. It seems every February, his behaviors and his focusng problems peak. I was told he might have a Vit. D deficiency. This made a lot of sense to me. I've been racking my brain for the last week, what is it... our heating system, different foods, change in schedule, etc. Without going into the logistics of it, everything on my list was ruled out. It never occurred to me...lack of sun. We live in the cold northeast. Now if I could only get my @#$%# pediatrician's office to call me back and tell me if a Vit. D supplement is safe and how much to give him.
What did you find out? Did he have a deficiency?
Kate

Nottingham, MD

#9 Jul 27, 2008
WHen I was growing up, two boys on my street were "retared". I don't know if they could have been autistic or not. I remember my mom saying their mother never took them outside. Maybe the vitamin d thing, lack of sunshine is correct.Then my sister had a autistic child and then my niece also. My niece never goes outside. She just plays on the computer and watches soaps. So I know she never took her son outside.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#10 Jul 27, 2008
Not taking kids out due to mental retardation would have then been pre- going outside, having nothing to do with the sun. I'm sure health-wise not going out due to this couldn't be all that great. But the MR obviously was there prior to the choice of never going outside. As for the niece, not going outside may have to do with autism, but yet again, that would have not had anything to do with being in the sun or not. Hard to say.
My kid has autism, can hardly keep him in the house at all and his levels of anything and everything are just right where they should be. I have a nephew who never went outside since his mom worked. Only time he did was going to school. No adverse effects on him.
Kate

Nottingham, MD

#11 Jul 28, 2008
I wish we had answers. My nephew graduated from high school last year and he is doing great. A very polite sweet kid. He is getting job training now. He is very smart but just has some problems with social interaction. He is interested in finding a girlfriend now.
Park

Orlando, FL

#12 Sep 14, 2008
My son is 16 with autism dx and we live in a sunshine state. We are going to try vit. d supplements but his behavior and aggressions are so sporadic. We are concerned about an underlying dx. May go back to risperodol but hate the side effects. Anyone out there with a son around this age with bi-polar as a secondary dx and what did you do?
Gigi

Newark, NJ

#13 Sep 28, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I have two sons with Autism. I used to think it was due to the vaccines until a friend of mine has a son who is autistic and was never vacinated. My new theory is that it has to do with the hormones given to cows and is in cows milk the IGF-1. This also has been linked to cancer. I recently read an article that countries that consume high dairy are the countries that have high incidents of cancer. Does anyone else feel the milk is tainted and that is what has caused the increase in autism and cancer?
http://www.babywonderland.com
http://www.littlepeanutsbabygifts.com
Takeshi

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Nov 10, 2008
You were initially right.Vaccines are the main cause of Autism.However, a kid whose mother had silver(mercury) fillings in her mouth or was toxic for any other reason would pass on those toxins to the fetus.The treatment for toxicity is the same, whether the toxins came from the mother or from vaccines.Go to GenerationRescue and Find a Defeat Autism Now doctor.I'm trying vitamin D on myself.Vaccines cause severe nutritional deficiencies and vitamin D is probably a piece of the puzzle.
friend

AOL

#15 Nov 10, 2008
Fillings have been in use for a very long time. If a mother was to pass this onto their child, it would had been going on years ago. The fillings is just a money maker for the dentist, so you spend more money of the other more spendy fillings. There is no concrete study to say filling are linked to anything just as there is no evidence that vaccines cause nutritional deficiencies and vitamin D.
Takeshi

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Nov 10, 2008
Environmental toxicity plus the fillings seems to explain the non vaccine autism cases, but non vaccine caused Autism are only a minority of the cases.Their is far more environmental mercury and lead than their ever was before.Once the mom passes mercury/lead to the child, the kids detoxification enzymes are impaired and he accumulates mercury at a much faster rate from the environment.If you think vaccines dont cause Autism/ADD/ADHD then you are either lying or just don't have the ability to think.Mercury suppresses the immune system and then we get bacterial infections over and over that are treated with antibiotics.The antibiotics destroy are intestinal flora and we can't absorb nutrients.This has been proved over and over by real doctors that recover people.Don't cite any fake studies by bigpharma and tell me that's your evidence that their is no link betwee vaccines and Autism/ADHD/ADD.
Reads2much

Bernardsville, NJ

#17 Nov 21, 2008
Will wrote:
1000 IU of vit. D per day is recommeded. It is very difficult to consume too much vit. D. However, sun light is needed to convert vit D to a biologically active form. So dietary vit. D plus sun light are required to avoid a deficiency.
That's incorrect. Sunlight changes 7-dehydrochlolesterol into cholecalciferol, or vitamin D3. This is then changed in the liver into the storage form, 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 or calcidiol. Then, on an as-needed basis, various tissues, mainly the kidney, change the calcidiol into the active form, calcitriol. If you get sun exposure, you don't need any dietary vitamin D. If you get dietary vitamin D3, you don't need sunlight, at least for vitamin D metabolism.

No one gets too much vitamin D from sunlight, but it is possible to get too much vitamin D by mouth. Cholecalciferol is used as rat poison.
Reads2much

Bernardsville, NJ

#18 Nov 21, 2008
Gigi wrote:
Hi Everyone,
My new theory is that it has to do with the hormones given to cows and is in cows milk the IGF-1. This also has been linked to cancer. I recently read an article that countries that consume high dairy are the countries that have high incidents of cancer. Does anyone else feel the milk is tainted and that is what has caused the increase in autism and cancer?
Even natural, organic cow's milk would cause increases in the body's levels of IGF-1, and thus would promote increased cell division, which promotes cancer. The problem isn't the additives and contaminants, it's the cow's milk itself, which is not a normal or natural food for humans of any age. Cow's milk greatly increases the risk of type 1 diabetes, and autoimmune disease in general. But again, the problem is the milk itself, not the contaminants.
justice4vitaminD

Yuma, AZ

#20 Sep 25, 2010
Dr. Cannell, the originator of the Vitamin D Theory of Autism, has recently published a supplemental paper to his original theory.
For those interested:

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/PDFs/cannell-o...
John Cannell MD

San Luis Obispo, CA

#21 Oct 3, 2010
If you have a child with autism, and would like to try vitamin D, I will help you for free.
You must be willing to give high doses of vitamin D, you must be willing to stop all vitamin A, and you must be able and willing to have his blood checked for his vitamin D level.
Just email me at jjcannell@vitamindcouncil.org.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Georgia Family Settles Autism Suit (Mar '08) Aug 11 Pacolito 118
News No protests against Vaxxed screening on Aucklan... Aug 8 Thimerosal 1
News Brooklyn anti-vaxxers are refusing to vaccinate... Aug 2 VACCINES MAIM KILL 1
News Vexxed by Vaxxed | Controversy surrounds upcomi... Aug 2 VACCINES MAIM KILL 1
News Top 6 BOGUS "science-based-medicine" claims fou... Aug 2 VACCINES MAIM KILL 2
News Film 'VaxXed' on vaccines and autism to be show... Jul 26 WAKEFIELD FRAMED 1
my son got some relief Jul '17 Larry 1
More from around the web