Rate of Autism Disorders Climbs to 1 Percent Among 8-Year-Olds

Dec 23, 2009 Full story: Health News Digest 26

Newswise - Autism and related development disorders are becoming more common, with a prevalence rate approaching 1 percent among American 8-year-olds, according to new data from researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention .

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
raymond

Longueuil, Canada

#1 Dec 23, 2009
I am not surprised, even though the numbers will climb due to lack of research into environmental causes (Vaccines included) by public health agencies, CDC and AAP.
Oblama

Huntsville, AL

#2 Dec 25, 2009
Just people trying to cash in on "disability"

Since: Sep 07

La Quinta, CA

#3 Dec 28, 2009
raymond wrote:
I am not surprised, even though the numbers will climb due to lack of research into environmental causes (Vaccines included) by public health agencies, CDC and AAP.
So, let's see. In the last year and a half, as a result of wild ass unfounded claims, FEWER PARENTS have had their kids vaccinated.

And yet the autism rate ROSE.

Over that same period of time, parents who failed to have their kids vaccinated deal with roughly 54,000 unneccesary sickness and 500!!! deaths.

Awesome work
Tbird19482

AOL

#4 Jan 2, 2010
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
So, let's see. In the last year and a half, as a result of wild ass unfounded claims, FEWER PARENTS have had their kids vaccinated.
And yet the autism rate ROSE.
Over that same period of time, parents who failed to have their kids vaccinated deal with roughly 54,000 unneccesary sickness and 500!!! deaths.
Awesome work
Is there some place we can go to get these figures?
I have not read anywhere that more parents arn't getting their children vaccinated, and if this is so I am sure people out here would like to see it from someone like the CDC of FDA.

have a nice day

Since: Sep 07

La Quinta, CA

#5 Jan 2, 2010
Tbird19482 wrote:
<quoted text>Is there some place we can go to get these figures?
I have not read anywhere that more parents arn't getting their children vaccinated, and if this is so I am sure people out here would like to see it from someone like the CDC of FDA.
have a nice day
I want to be more clear about my post. When I talk about vaccination rates decreasing, I'm specifically talking about MMR (the vaccine which people have falsely accused of causing autism). Overall vaccination rates for other things (flu, tetnis, hep) have stayed relatively stable - or even increases slightly.

However, while only 1% of children have had absolutely no vaccines, 8% have skipped the MMR vaccine (MMR stands for Measles Mumps Rubella) and as a result we've seen outbreaks of these diseases in recent years which until recently were completely gone from the US.

Here's a paragraph and the link from which it comes:
"
According to the survey, less than 1 percent of children had received no vaccines by age 19-35 months. However, almost 8 percent of children in this age group had not received measles, mumps and rubella, or MMR, vaccine and remained susceptible to measles, which in recent years has resurged in some areas of the country."

http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/publicatio...

The only cause for the decrease in MMR has been the anti-vaccination claims from the autism crowd.

However, they fail to explain how this vaccine supposedly causes autism (or for that matter cures retardation at the same rate it causes autism). And, they've failed to answer this simple question:

Even if the vaccine caused autism (which it doesn't) is having an autistic child better or worse than having a child that dies from the measles?

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#6 Jan 2, 2010
Raymond is randomly starting these threads, of course with nothing to back up his claim. He's started about 5 of these. Although the MMR vaccine has been debunked for causing autism, I myself started a thread about a study that finds having that vaccine may prevent autism. Aside from that, if anyone watches the news or even scrolls around, you'll see the parents who choose not to vaccinate has risen overall since the 1990's. You'll see the 2000 parents on the east coast who refused vaccines or getting a waiver so their kids could enter school. You'll also see in the news how parents choose not to vaccinate due to media coverage about autism and vaccines, Nightly News carried 'Avoiding vaccines is a shot in the dark' about a parent who did not vaccinate due to this very media coverage. Her child contracted something that was vaccine preventable, was hospitalized and almost died. The thing any child can ask, and I ask that of my own mother, why would you put a child through that when you knew there was a way to prevent that suffering and or possible death? Those numbers are out there, all you have to do is look.
Let's go with a better article
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34480829/
"The increase may be due in part to better diagnosis and changes in how well records of it were kept in the study sites, said Catherine Rice, a CDC behavioral scientist who worked on the new report.
“At this point its impossible to say how much is a true increase and how much is identification,” she said, in a Friday news conference. " End quote.

You can not base cause of autism on school records to obtain autism rates. Period. There is yet to be any evidence that confirms vaccines cause autism, and since vaccines have been around for a very long time, we'd have seen autism rates many years ago. But vaccines is your choice, don't vaccinate if one chooses.

Since: Sep 07

La Quinta, CA

#7 Jan 2, 2010
friend wrote:
R
"The increase may be due in part to better diagnosis and changes in how well records of it were kept in the study sites, said Catherine Rice, a CDC behavioral scientist who worked on the new report.
“At this point its impossible to say how much is a true increase and how much is identification,” she said, in a Friday news conference. " End quote.
Yeah, at one point they reclassified a whole host of mental disorders (learning disabilities, mild retardation, anti-social behavior, etc) to all be part of the umbrella autism diagnosis.

As a result autism numbers shot up (at the same rate that the other things fell).

Some people got a hold of this and made it a media story. With more media coverage comes more awareness. Doctors who would otherwise have just said "He's a quiet kid" are now saying "He has mild autism".

None of that actually reflects an increase in rates.

Or, if they anti-vac community wants to conclude that it does, they need to explain why the MMR vaccine apparently suddenly cures retardation since retardation rates have fallen so dramatically.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#8 Jan 2, 2010
Then you have states like where I live, in which can term an IEP autism without a medical diagnosis and made this state one of the highest rates of autism. When one looks at the rates which comes from the public school system, that rate does not tell you which have medical diagnosis and had vaccines. The numbers in which this study comes from, it's generated not of all states, but of a sample and then they produce a statisical number. There is no way we'll ever have acurate autism rates. I have met many people whose children had a Speech IEP when it should had been autism; those children for years were never in that autism rate, and once they were added, walla it adds to that great big huge autism rate as if over night these rates increased. Back in the 1970's there was an epidemic of ADHD in schools (right around the beginning of when schools started to have budget issues), you hardly seen coverage on that and more than likely those children were misdiagnosed and really had autism.
Also, the controversy these days is that every one and any one is classified under that autism umbrella.
Don't under estimate other causes like drinking water and baby bottles and sippy cups. Both have been in the media. Lets also not discard Agent Orange and the off spring of those who were exposed to it. Vaccines are not for everyone, but we all know autism happens regardless if you vaccinate or not.

Since: Sep 07

La Quinta, CA

#9 Jan 2, 2010
friend wrote:
Then you have states like where I live, in which can term an IEP autism without a medical diagnosis and made this state one of the highest rates of autism. When one looks at the rates which comes from the public school system, that rate does not tell you which have medical diagnosis and had vaccines.
This reminds me of when I was in high school. Once a year we had a government survey at the school which took numbers on ethnicity.

One year, one of the homerooms mistook "Native American" to mean an American Citizen.

So we went from having 15 Native Americans in a school of 1000 to having 65.

Then the next year we were down to 12.

Huge hub bub over our town severe Native American drop out rate!

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#10 Jan 2, 2010
For as much as many of us who have to fight the public school system for our kids, why in the world would we rely on their statistics for autism rates? And besides that, any autism rates, it's a great big leap to accuse cause of autism. The anti-vac community (which Raymond obviously is a part of) contributes to the most inaccurate info of all and inflates and deflates any info it offers, putting many families at risk if one was to fall into that camp. No one should make vaccine choice off of autism rates when as of today, no one knows what causes it. People really should be advocating for better diagnostic criteria to be more standard, IEP's of any state shouldn't be allowed to be termed anything without a medical diagnosis and we should all be advocating for a better way to diagnose autism than just observing behaviors. If it was related to vaccines at all, that blood test should be the easiest to produce. Autism is a little more complicated than that, isn't.
raymond

Longueuil, Canada

#11 Jan 20, 2010
Autism caused by environmental factor. This is much accepted by all. The number has increased incredibly. No junk theory of better diagnosis, loose labels can explain this autism increase.

If you are not a donkey like Friend here, you will accept these facts or go back to learn your ABCs.

Vaccine is still a big ? mark. It has not been exonerated from being the single autism trigger. The research has been delayed so that vaccination rates dont drop. But it is too late for that. Just look at the H1N1 vaccines. Did you see how many people did opt out of H1N1 vaccine. What does that tell you? Canada had 40% of population refusing a free life saving vaccine. Samething with USA and europe. Ignorance era is finished. So is era of people like FRiend and their dictatorship tactics of falsifying the truth about research into real triggers of autism

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#12 Jan 20, 2010
If anything ever was dictatorship, it's that of the above and what goes along with dictatorship is the name-calling and considering everyone but yourself to be ignorant. That's how you can tell just who the dictator is, those who communicate poorly and force their opinions unto others. Maybe one day you can push your opinion without the use of using me and my ID.

Since: Sep 07

La Quinta, CA

#13 Jan 20, 2010
raymond wrote:
Vaccine is still a big ? mark. It has not been exonerated from being the single autism trigger. The research has been delayed so that vaccination rates dont drop. But it is too late for that. Just look at the H1N1 vaccines. Did you see how many people did opt out of H1N1 vaccine. What does that tell you? Canada had 40% of population refusing a free life saving vaccine. Samething with USA and europe. Ignorance era is finished.
Your conclusion is the opposite of your evidence.

If people are refusing vaccine because they falsely think that it causes autism, then the era of ignorance is just beginning.

The facts are simple:

1) Autism was redefined to include things which previously fell outside of the definition - therefore the number of cases jumped up. If we redefined "New York" as part of "New England" then the population of New England would sky rocket. That doesn't mean that more people had kids, it just means the more people are being counted.

2) The Anti Vacs claimed that thimerisol was the cause of autism. It was removed from the vaccine, rates did not drop.

3) The AVs claimed that the MMR vac itself was the cause. Statistical analysis of those who got / didn't get the MMR show that there is NO DIFFERENCE in autism rates between the two groups.

But facts have never really been the point, have they? The AV crowd is _SELLING_ books. They can say whatever they want knowing that people like you will buy it no matter how shoddy the science.

So, thanks to them, and people like you supporting them, HUNDREDS (if not THOUSANDS) of innocent children have DIED. DIED! Dead! From a disease which we had ALL BUT ERRADICATED! Based ENTIRELY on unfounded claims about a vaccine which has been proven SAFE and EFFECTIVE.

Congrats. Murderer.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#14 Jan 20, 2010
Number 1 is a good analogy (comparison) to the autism rates.
We already know those autism rates are flawed, so there is no way to know as of yet of those rates who had any vaccines, which vaccines, who had Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, which children doctors only look at the symptom's and not at the whole medical picture, which are in residential living (many kids are today). It may very well be vaccines do cause autism for some children, but there is no way to assume it can be the single cause when a doctor slaps on a label without medical background, chromosome testing and MRI's.

In Canada, 157,000 doses of H1N1 was given. 65 million doses of vaccine had been administered in over 16 countries. 14,286 confirmed deaths worldwide. Deaths so never ever can compare to autism, ever. The two topics, deaths and autism, should never ever be combined. The only point proven is deaths.

Since: Sep 07

La Quinta, CA

#15 Jan 20, 2010
friend wrote:
In Canada, 157,000 doses of H1N1 was given. 65 million doses of vaccine had been administered in over 16 countries. 14,286 confirmed deaths worldwide. Deaths so never ever can compare to autism, ever. The two topics, deaths and autism, should never ever be combined. The only point proven is deaths.
Deaths as a RESULT of the vaccine or deaths occurring shortly after the vaccine.

What groups are most likely to get vaccinated? What is the background death rate of those groups?

Here in the states they are advocating for the elderly and immuno-compromised to get H1N1. These two groups have very high mortality rate anyway.

The question is, how many of the people who died post h1n1 would have died whether or not they got the vaccine?

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#16 Jan 20, 2010
The confirmed deaths are just deaths of H1N1 with no relation to the vaccine at all. Most of those deaths (if not the majority) were prior to the release of the vaccine. The statement that 40 percent in Canada rejected that vaccine really means nothing in comparison to that 157,000 doses of H1N1 that was given (NOT opted out) in Canada.

Quite a few children died in the state where I live from H1N1, and they didn't have the vaccine. One child's death is too many however you are very correct when you say "If people are refusing vaccine because they falsely think that it causes autism, then the era of ignorance is just beginning."
raymond

Longueuil, Canada

#17 Jan 22, 2010
Make your own theory. We can not force public to vaccinate ot not. But personnaly I inform public in regards to autism:

1- The autism rate is epidemic.

2- Thousnands of parents have reported autism shortly after vaccination.

3. Vaccines autism link has not been diproven but delayed since studies have been limited so that public do not have fear of immunisation.

4. Unfortunately autism has fallen into a mental disorder that is led by psychologists which in field of autism have been more damagefull that the autism itself.

5. Health agencies have a mandate to gain public trust that has fallen due to vaccine autism link.

There you go.

At the end you can also say vaccines have saved many lives in the past but not all of them in the immunisation schedule of today are necessary.
However, there are those who also have lost lives due to vaccines itself.
raymond

Longueuil, Canada

#18 Jan 22, 2010
Also,

If anyone would be familiar with the way CDC is handling the vaccination policy would be so fearfull of vaccines.

CDC gives vaccines contract to many incompetent manufacturers without any quality and product purity in mind rather just Sales. CDC mandate is to push for public vaccination to obtain herd immunity. But this at what cost. When the manufacturers are short of regulatory compliance prior to their inpsection by FDA, they refer to CDC for back up and push through as a fast track project.

That fast track project englobe vaccines which safety and composition have not been assessed and shoved into poor public like just guinea pigs.

Enjoy your shots. But before you do be smart investigate: Make sure the flu vaccines that you are injecting your arms at least covers the strain of flu spreading in your area. Many areas have a strain that much different from that of flu vaccine recommended by WHO. Poor elders....

Since: Sep 07

La Quinta, CA

#19 Jan 22, 2010
raymond wrote:
Make your own theory. We can not force public to vaccinate ot not. But personnaly I inform public in regards to autism:
1- The autism rate is epidemic.
"Epidemic" implies that autism is contagious. It is not.
2- Thousnands of parents have reported autism shortly after vaccination.
Because autism isn't really detectable in infants who can not yet communicate. You can't evaluate a patient for autism until they reach a certain age. That age happens to coincide with the timing of vaccines.

This is like saying that Christmas causes the flu because they both take place in winter.
3. Vaccines autism link has not been diproven but delayed since studies have been limited so that public do not have fear of immunisation.
Utterly false. It has been shown in MULTIPLE studies looking at PRE-EXISTING data and ONGOING vaccinations that there is NO link between any vaccine and autism.

In the Netherlands, where they have medical records for EVERY citizen, researchers have been able to track autism rates and compare/contrast with vaccine. Guess what? NO DIFFERENCE in rate between vaccinated and un-vaccinated groups.
4. Unfortunately autism has fallen into a mental disorder that is led by psychologists which in field of autism have been more damagefull that the autism itself.
You need to take a mulligan on this sentence and try again. Try using words which actually exist and a sentence structure which wouldn't earn you a D- in English class.
5. Health agencies have a mandate to gain public trust that has fallen due to vaccine autism link.
There is no vaccine autism link. There are people like you who don't have the facts and are spreading misinformation.

You do know that what you are doing is LITERALLY KILLING INNOCENT CHILDREN, right?

There is an ACTUAL BODY COUNT.

Stop for one minute and think about that.

You are spouting off on the internet misinformation because you haven't bothered to keep up with the facts. As a result of this, you are contributing to the death of children.

You should feel very bad. The fact that you probably don't is pretty good evidence that you are a very sick person.
At the end you can also say vaccines have saved many lives in the past but not all of them in the immunisation schedule of today are necessary.
However, there are those who also have lost lives due to vaccines itself.
I want you to tell a woman who's child just died of the measles that the vaccines aren't necessary. You are profoundly evil.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#20 Jan 22, 2010
raymond wrote:
We can not force public to vaccinate ot not.
No one forces any one, it's a choice. 157,000 made that choice in Canada. If you didn't like their choice, too bad. It's their choice to make.

Let's see if you can answer this. You said thousands (McCarthy makes this blank statement all the time as well) report autism directly after a vaccine. You never mentioned yet if you're one of those reporting this for your child. Just how does autism relate to you?

And let's give this some thought. When a child get's get a common cold or flu with a fever, mumps, rubelle or pertussis, they feel lousy, don't want to talk but just sleep, they get very irritable, don't want to play or be social, throw fits when you try to interact with the sick child, they don't answer when you call their name..... I can see where parents could be reporting autism over every illness.

"The CDC contracts incompetent manufacturers without any quality and product purity in mind rather just Sales"??? If that was the case, as you admitted vaccines may had worked for diseases years ago (for some reason you consider them not necessary today) just how do you think that came about? By incompetent manufacturers without any quality and product purity?? Shame on you for being so disrespectful to those parents who had children which died due these now preventable diseases. Those parents begged the CDC to prevent more deaths, you (who knows if you're a parent at all) spit at the CDC and lie about them. You'd be more believable had you ever come up with anything reliable and creditable than to just make stuff up or repeat what some B rated has been says. The Public is much smarter than that and make their medical decisions not based on you. And to prove that, less than a handful ever bother responding to you at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Author of controversial vaccination/autism stud... 10 hr friend 3
Outbreak causes vaccination debate to heat up Thu Vacs maim Kill 1
Wakefield is not a fraud - His study linking MM... Thu friend DUHZ it again 6
Thimerosal, Vaccines and Autism: Let the Scienc... Feb 24 VACCINES MAIM KILL 4
Inside the mind of anti-vaxxers Feb 23 SAFE VACCINES NOW 1
Editorial: Anti-vaxxers selling a dangerous idea Feb 23 SAFE VACCINES NOW 2
The Top 5 Bogus Public Health Scares (Aug '13) Feb 23 karik 12
More from around the web