Rosemount man's autism site offers in...

Rosemount man's autism site offers insights to other caregivers

There are 16 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 8, 2008, titled Rosemount man's autism site offers insights to other caregivers. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Parents, experts and kids themselves share what works at Web 'Hangout' By Nick Ferraro [email protected] Article Last Updated: 11/08/2008 09:28:48 PM CST Craig Evans surfed the Web to find the latest ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Robin H Morris

Roslyn, NY

#1 Nov 9, 2008
Kudos to autismhangout.com ! What a pro-active endeavor. I agree with the effort and will visit the site. Given that I have a 21 year old son with autism, I have shared the wealth of our experience (both trials and tribulations) traveling the journey of autism.
http://www.revolutionhealth.com/blogs/resilie...
Regards,
Robin H. Morris
Craig Evans

Savage, MN

#2 Nov 9, 2008
Hi Robin. Thanks for your kind words. I just visited your site and am pleased to find so much thought! I would be very pleased (and honored) to have your input as a community member of Autism Hangout! Craig Evans
Heather O

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Nov 9, 2008
Great site, I have a 7 year old boy with ASD and have found new challenges as he grows.

I was puzzeled and honestly a bit offended by this line in the article:

"The site — at autismhangout. com — is not a place to argue "tired" issues such as whether vaccines cause autism, Evans said"

Maybe I just don't understand. The GFCF diet is one of the first biomedical treatments used for vaccine injury in autism. My son has been on it for over 3 years and we've had more success with that diet than any of the other treatments. I thought the advice the site gave on the GFCF diet was very good.
Craig Evans

Savage, MN

#4 Nov 9, 2008
Heather. Regarding the vaccine argument, no offense was intended. While that issue is being sorted out, I wanted to build a site where daily challenges and wisdom for "how best to live with the autism" can be the focus of discussions. The Feature Program series you mentioned, the one recommending GFCF products and brands is one such example. If you've had good (or bad) luck with a product, please stop by and leave your experience for others who will find it helpful. Thanks for your interest! Craig Evans
Heather O

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Nov 9, 2008
Craig - thank you for your reply. I do understand how controversial the vaccine-autism topic is and how heated it gets. There are plenty of websites and resources dedicated to the topic where I can spend time if I so choose.

Your website has very talented people! I've bookmarked it and will visit often. Thanks so much for your work.
Reenilou

Hopkins, MN

#6 Nov 10, 2008
Bravo! This is a wonderful idea: Instead of talking around people with autism spectrum disorders, why not talk TO them? And encourage them to learn from each other and talk to US? Many brilliant and talented people are smacked with limitations because of their disorders, the most frustrating of which are imposed by the rest of us when they don't fit into a neat, easy-to-open package. Kudos to all involved. One caution to the Pioneer Press: Your story contains references to Christianity and church, and while these may have been factors that drew the site's founders together, they are not germane to the site's content, and it would be sad if non-Christians did not feel welcome there. It's an amazing site full of useful information for everyone whose life is touched by autism.
Craig Evans

Savage, MN

#7 Nov 10, 2008
Reenilou. Thank you for your kind words! Yes, the site was founded by Christians. In addition to autism, it was faith that drew us together. But just as autism knows no demographic or religious boundaries, neither does Autism Hangout. We are drawn together to focus on how we can best provide our loved ones with full, rewarding life experiences. I hope you stop by and share some of your first-hand insights (of what has worked and what hasn't) for the benefit of all! Craig Evans
Deborah

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Nov 10, 2008
I'm so glad the PP carried this article. My 17yo son has Asperger's. I can't wait to show him this site. I'll be checking out the articles, too. I was thrilled to see a link to a site for MN aAspie parents with info on support groups. This is what I have been longing for. I'm learning to live in a "new normal" since my son's diagnosis a little over a year ago and I'd like to talk to more people who live there.
ld-technokids

Canada

#9 Nov 11, 2008
Autism and Hangout is a truly awesome website & resource!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!
Vicki

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Mar 31, 2011
Yes, a place where children on the Autism Spectrum, as well as their parents can glean info is very helpful and very needed. Children with Asperger's and High-functioning autism need to have a sense of belonging in the community as well; to that end, I have started a Game Club for children 10 - 14. Check out my site at meetup.com/Minnesota Aspergers Game Club. Or [email protected] We have xbox, chess, SET, mini trampoline and more...our mission is: To promote the socialization of children with Asperger's/High Functioning Autism; to educate the family and the community with regards to Asperger's/High Functioning Autism; and to provide a forum for discussion and support for Parents/Guardians of these extraordinary children. A parent support group and snacks are included. Cost is $48 per family or $8 per child. Game Club starts April 14, 2011.
Vicki

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Mar 31, 2011
Clarification on cost of Minnesota Aspergers/High Function Autism Game Club:$48 per family for six weeks or $8 for one time....sorry about that...hope you check out meetup.com/Minnesota Aspergers Game Club or contact me at [email protected] Game club is in West St. Paul
FBOMBER

Canada

#12 Apr 5, 2011
Great idea. Don't care for the "touched by autism" stuff. My son's victimization doesn't put me in a forgiving mood. That will never stp the slaughter vaccines are perpetrating on children.
FBOMBER

Canada

#13 Apr 5, 2011
Craig Evans wrote:
Heather. Regarding the vaccine argument, no offense was intended. While that issue is being sorted out, I wanted to build a site where daily challenges and wisdom for "how best to live with the autism" can be the focus of discussions. The Feature Program series you mentioned, the one recommending GFCF products and brands is one such example. If you've had good (or bad) luck with a product, please stop by and leave your experience for others who will find it helpful. Thanks for your interest! Craig Evans
Craig, you're a good man. I'll visit too, and as long as we move forward "in all ways" we can stop others from becoming autistic. Treating them afterwards should never be an acceptable first choice, but as a second choice it works.
sunflower

Overland Park, KS

#14 Mar 20, 2014
Hey, just moved to MN. My son is 3 and autistic. He was getting preschool 5 days a week with regular peers thru school system in another state; he was making great progress. Now we have moved here to MN and we have had two school districts in suburbs tell us that they will only put him in preschool with kids with other disabilities or a totally autistic classroom. This sounds more restrictive to me! What are other's views with services they are getting in local school districts here in MN? Why can't the school system put him in regular preschool classroom with typically developing peers and provide the speech services in that setting?

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Mar 24, 2014
Reenilou wrote:
Bravo! This is a wonderful idea: Instead of talking around people with autism spectrum disorders, why not talk TO them? And encourage them to learn from each other and talk to US? Many brilliant and talented people are smacked with limitations because of their disorders, the most frustrating of which are imposed by the rest of us when they don't fit into a neat, easy-to-open package. Kudos to all involved. One caution to the Pioneer Press: Your story contains references to Christianity and church, and while these may have been factors that drew the site's founders together, they are not germane to the site's content, and it would be sad if non-Christians did not feel welcome there. It's an amazing site full of useful information for everyone whose life is touched by autism.
Some of us who are on the spectrum even post here on Topix.
Thing is, some folks assume that they know us better than we know ourselves. They are the ones likely to brand us all into one group as autists.
MMR DANGEROUS

Winnipeg, Canada

#17 Apr 19, 2014
Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of us who are on the spectrum even post here on Topix.
Thing is, some folks assume that they know us better than we know ourselves. They are the ones likely to brand us all into one group as autists.
wrong as usual

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vaccines contain DNA fragments from aborted hum... Jun 28 Rugilerar 8
News Mokena couple fight to keep fence they say prot... (Aug '12) Jun 25 Robert Balcom 108
News Anti-vaccination program offered to gifted chil... Jun 25 John 1
Would you date someone who has Asperger's Syndr... (Nov '12) Jun 20 aussie213 15
News This autistic boy's poem will surprise you Jun 17 friend 2
News GABA system dysfunction in autism and related d... Jun 13 CDC Rep 1
News 7 things about vaccines and autism that the mov... Jun 13 Anonymous 11
More from around the web