Changes in DSM classifications affect...

Changes in DSM classifications affect families and schools

There are 9 comments on the Examiner.com story from Mar 31, 2013, titled Changes in DSM classifications affect families and schools. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

Revisions to the D iagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders were approved late in 2012.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

PHARMAGEDDON

Winnipeg, Canada

#1 Mar 31, 2013
YEAH, expect any child with any sign of independence to be labelled and schools will insist they go on meds. Its a nightmare scenario concosted between psychiatry and BIG PHARMA $$$$$

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#2 Apr 1, 2013
Schools in the USA may make suggestions or an opinion as a parent. but it's illegal for them to 'insist' on any kind of medication as a public school employee. It's a conflict of interest. So that 'nightmare scenario' is an untrue and unfounded scare tactic.

Back to the real topic. Spring is not a typical time for IEP's. They are year round, depending on when the child first entered special ed. One also doesn't need an actual diagnosis to obtain special ed services, and the newest DSM has nothing to do with each states criteria for IDEA. IDEA doesn't actually have asperger's within that list of disorders anyway. It's autism/ autism spectrum disorders. Nothing should change with the Medicaid reimbursement since IDEA never included autism. The good Dr. David Kupfer isn't very knowledgeable about special education.
Junk Science

Winnipeg, Canada

#3 Apr 1, 2013
friend wrote:
Schools in the USA may make suggestions or an opinion as a parent. but it's illegal for them to 'insist' on any kind of medication as a public school employee. It's a conflict of interest. So that 'nightmare scenario' is an untrue and unfounded scare tactic.
Back to the real topic. Spring is not a typical time for IEP's. They are year round, depending on when the child first entered special ed. One also doesn't need an actual diagnosis to obtain special ed services, and the newest DSM has nothing to do with each states criteria for IDEA. IDEA doesn't actually have asperger's within that list of disorders anyway. It's autism/ autism spectrum disorders. Nothing should change with the Medicaid reimbursement since IDEA never included autism. The good Dr. David Kupfer isn't very knowledgeable about special education.
Needs a REALITY CHECK

Location hidden

#4 Apr 1, 2013
That is the way it is. The only thing I made a typo, nothing should change with Medicaid reimbursement since IDEA never included asperger's as it's own category. And most who have asperger's wouldn't even be getting the service of speech therapy as stated they would in the article. Most with asperger's don't even have an IEP, they have a 504.

And the rest about medication is a scare tactic. If the claim is this will result now in the schools insisting on medication, why would that even change now? They'd had been already doing it. Hello. And although many schools do talk about medication and choices, the schools can not enforce it's use. Against the law. Period.
AUTISM 4 DUMMIES

Winnipeg, Canada

#5 Apr 3, 2013
The DSM changes are meant to further confuse and deny parents truth and a proper recognition that their child is a vaccine victim. Its part of the bogus explanation that numbers represent no real change and are just that we didn't notice autistic children till now. It was all due to a change in definition and now the utterly blind can finally see. What a JOKE!!

Location hidden

#6 Apr 3, 2013
So how then do you explain the DSM changes from DSM I to DSM II?? DSM II to DSM III??? DMS III to DSM IV???
Nice attempt. Failed. It's not that no one noticed, they were diagnosed not with autism and society didn't at the time have any laws to protect or give rights to those who were disabled. And before I child can be deemed vaccined injured/ then caused autism, you'd have to have that tid bit of medical proof. You have nothing but hot air.

Fact still remains, a public school can not give medical advice. Asperger's was never part of IDEA and the DSM does not have the same criteria as an educational label to gain special education. They are 2 very different things.
What A DUMBO

Winnipeg, Canada

#7 Apr 4, 2013
friend wrote:
So how then do you explain the DSM changes from DSM I to DSM II?? DSM II to DSM III??? DMS III to DSM IV???
Nice attempt. Failed. It's not that no one noticed, they were diagnosed not with autism and society didn't at the time have any laws to protect or give rights to those who were disabled. And before I child can be deemed vaccined injured/ then caused autism, you'd have to have that tid bit of medical proof. You have nothing but hot air.
Fact still remains, a public school can not give medical advice. Asperger's was never part of IDEA and the DSM does not have the same criteria as an educational label to gain special education. They are 2 very different things.
I wouldn't explian them because thats OFF TOPIC like the rest of your statement.

Location hidden

#8 Apr 4, 2013
Predictable reply. Hot air and nothing to back up their own statements.
What A Bozo

Winnipeg, Canada

#9 Apr 4, 2013
friend wrote:
Predictable reply. Hot air and nothing to back up their own statements.
JUST LIKE YOU

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Should we be vaccinating our children? 3 hr Twinmomma 11
News Vaccination now scientifically linked to learni... Sep 8 friend 2
News Minnesota officials: Measles outbreak is over; ... Sep 8 friend 8
News In metro area, 90 percent of parents vaccinate ... Sep 8 friend 6
A deeply heartfelt glimpse into the life of a b... Sep 8 Young Peoples Pav... 1
Can we teach kids with autism how and when to c... (Apr '12) Aug '17 Ann 6
News Georgia Family Settles Autism Suit (Mar '08) Aug '17 Pacolito 118
More from around the web