Mom Says Her Child Was Left Behind

May 3, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WTVC

By Jerry Askin A Dayton parent says her daughter is being mistreated at school by her teacher and the students -- all because she has a mild form of autism.

Comments (Page 7)

Showing posts 121 - 140 of172
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Roger

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#134
May 6, 2013
 

Judged:

6

4

4

Really lady I dnt think a person would lie bout this. Especially on tv come on now. I bet it is so true that how schools in this town is. I believe the lady and dnt know her. When it comes to a kid that can't defend self it is a parents place stand up. That mom did and I give it to her. It just makes me mad bout whole thing. It was so wrong and people need see it.
Really

Dayton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#135
May 6, 2013
 

Judged:

6

4

4

Who would lie about such a thing?? This is not a lie especially when there are similar stories from this particular school!! The school may very well be a good school if you have a kid that doesnt require special attention and care but too may complaints not to be true!! Ive never heard a ruckus such as this over the County special Ed dept.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#136
May 6, 2013
 

Judged:

9

6

6

"Discipline issues, section 504, and the ADA:
Students served under Section 504 and the ADA are treated similarly to students served under the IDEA with regard to discipline. First, these students can definitely be disciplined; rules and standards can be - applied to these students just as they are applied to nondisabled students. The important thing to consider is that students served under Section 504 and the ADA have an equal opportunity to be successful with classroom rules and behavioral regulations. In order to ensure this with some students, a behavior intervention plan may be necessary. Disciplinary procedures for students under Section 504 and the ADA are similar to those under IDEA. Expulsion or suspensions of 10 or more days are considered a change of placement and require the same procedural requirements as the IDEA. Therefore, before a student can be suspended or expelled for more than 10 days, a manifest determination must be made. If a manifest determination shows no relationship between the behavior and disability, then the student can be disciplined as any other student. If a manifest determination shows that there is a relationship between the behavior and disability, then the student cannot be expelled or suspended; the school should consider the appropriateness of the current program and consider appropriate changes."
Curious

Old Fort, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#137
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

8

7

5

That's because most situations like this are handled through the schools... and there is almost always some sort of misunderstanding. I work in a daycare and see it everyday... Parents believe that their children can do no wrong and everything is someone else's fault. People also like to jump on the 'band wagon' without knowing the whole or even the true story... I am not saying for sure its a lie... I am just saying I would like to hear both sides before I jump to this conclusion. I don't believe that the child has been diagnosed in prek... that usually happens in Kindergarten. Also, any child needs to be disciplined, even if they have a disability. We should always try to help them learn right from wrong. My child has add/adhd and ,as I said before, this in no way compares to autism. My heart breaks for people who have children who truly suffer from such diseases. I do know however that I struggle on a daily basis with how to discipline my son, but I know that he needs it or he will get out of control. If this story is true, then I truly feel for the little girl and her mom. All I am saying is let's be fair and balanced and not jump on the 'band wagon' when we certainly do not know all the details. I give my props also to the school. They legally are bound from defending themselves, so they have to sit back and watch while everyone runs them in the ground. Their may be a completely logical situation. And believe it or not... Yes people do lie on a daily basis about such things. She may have a grudge against the school for something completely different... We don't know.
Canadian Mom

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#138
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

5

4

4

Curious wrote:
That's because most situations like this are handled through the schools... and there is almost always some sort of misunderstanding. I work in a daycare and see it everyday... Parents believe that their children can do no wrong and everything is someone else's fault. People also like to jump on the 'band wagon' without knowing the whole or even the true story... I am not saying for sure its a lie... I am just saying I would like to hear both sides before I jump to this conclusion. I don't believe that the child has been diagnosed in prek... that usually happens in Kindergarten. Also, any child needs to be disciplined, even if they have a disability. We should always try to help them learn right from wrong. My child has add/adhd and ,as I said before, this in no way compares to autism. My heart breaks for people who have children who truly suffer from such diseases. I do know however that I struggle on a daily basis with how to discipline my son, but I know that he needs it or he will get out of control. If this story is true, then I truly feel for the little girl and her mom. All I am saying is let's be fair and balanced and not jump on the 'band wagon' when we certainly do not know all the details. I give my props also to the school. They legally are bound from defending themselves, so they have to sit back and watch while everyone runs them in the ground. Their may be a completely logical situation. And believe it or not... Yes people do lie on a daily basis about such things. She may have a grudge against the school for something completely different... We don't know.
I agree. There are always two sides to a story, and parents and school have to work together. Why do people have to be nasty. As we can see, I'm being attacked by two posters who don't know me and seem to have randomly decided to harass me. I realize there are crazies online, but these two are WAY out there.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

8

7

5

Still not fooling anyone, but FYI: These people are seeing this in a totally different forum than the autism forum where I see it, so they have no idea nor realize that every time Winnipeg posts here, it coincides with his posts in the autism forum where he and I see this article. They can also see from the TN forum where they're seeing this, Winnipeg has only made comments on one topic, and so have I, because the bots pinged it to the autism forum as well, or we'd have never seen it. There has only been one Winnipeg posting in 5 years on the autism forum. All anyone has to do is head over to the autism forum to realize Winnipeg changes their name and dominates every article posted there.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#140
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

7

5

5

No matter what the disability, all parents struggle to parent that child. In that manner, there is a comparison. My struggles wouldn't be so different than yours. My child also really doesn't suffer. He's generally a very happy child who just happens to need more help than is same-aged peers. I can think of a whole lot worse things he could be diagnosed with than autism.

That said, not many people believe everything they read or hear, and they shouldn't. In situations like this, if the child had an IEP this would had been handled under IDEA. It's simply not every day or a common occurrence you even see this sort of thing in the paper and not handled via Due Process and more so when there was a 2 day notice prior to that field trip. Somethings just doesn't sit or seem right with this at all.
Curious wrote:
That's because most situations like this are handled through the schools... and there is almost always some sort of misunderstanding. I work in a daycare and see it everyday... Parents believe that their children can do no wrong and everything is someone else's fault. People also like to jump on the 'band wagon' without knowing the whole or even the true story... I am not saying for sure its a lie... I am just saying I would like to hear both sides before I jump to this conclusion. I don't believe that the child has been diagnosed in prek... that usually happens in Kindergarten. Also, any child needs to be disciplined, even if they have a disability. We should always try to help them learn right from wrong. My child has add/adhd and ,as I said before, this in no way compares to autism. My heart breaks for people who have children who truly suffer from such diseases. I do know however that I struggle on a daily basis with how to discipline my son, but I know that he needs it or he will get out of control. If this story is true, then I truly feel for the little girl and her mom. All I am saying is let's be fair and balanced and not jump on the 'band wagon' when we certainly do not know all the details. I give my props also to the school. They legally are bound from defending themselves, so they have to sit back and watch while everyone runs them in the ground. Their may be a completely logical situation. And believe it or not... Yes people do lie on a daily basis about such things. She may have a grudge against the school for something completely different... We don't know.
Curious

Old Fort, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#141
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

5

4

4

friend wrote:
No matter what the disability, all parents struggle to parent that child. In that manner, there is a comparison. My struggles wouldn't be so different than yours. My child also really doesn't suffer. He's generally a very happy child who just happens to need more help than is same-aged peers. I can think of a whole lot worse things he could be diagnosed with than autism.
That said, not many people believe everything they read or hear, and they shouldn't. In situations like this, if the child had an IEP this would had been handled under IDEA. It's simply not every day or a common occurrence you even see this sort of thing in the paper and not handled via Due Process and more so when there was a 2 day notice prior to that field trip. Somethings just doesn't sit or seem right with this at all.
<quoted text>
I totally agree Friend.. That's the point I am trying to get across. If she could've handled it in a better way don't you think she would've if she is truly a good parent. I don't want my child to even realize the medication he is on is to help him calm down. I don't want him using that as a crutch or excuse as he gets older. Therefore, I definitely wouldn't paste him all over the web, tv, or paper, so that everyone else can label him. These children struggle enough without the extra help. That being said, it makes me wonder if she is not just attacking the school for some other reason. I'm not sayings its not true, but I just have a hunch this mom is not all she's trying to make herself out to be. Sorry just my opinion.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#142
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

7

6

5

I clearly understand your point, and not sure why more don't. A stim is one thing, it may be annoying but you deal with it but at the same time, you have to work with the child to find appropriate times and places for some stims. Not following rules is something different. Every single person has to follow rules, even adults do. My child and many with autism are ritualistic rule followers. My son would and has told on those who weren't following the rules before he'd ever break one, in a structured setting like school. So he had to be taught to let the teachers deal with it, they didn't really need his help on that. He does get tricked by general ed peers however quite often.

My child is well aware he has autism, and has known since he was the age of 3. He knows autism makes him different, but not privileged. Because he is vulnerable, he has to learn what drugs look like before someone offers it to him one day. He has to know not to take an ingestible item from someone who pretends to be a friend. He has to know what sexual gestures are so he wont do them unknowingly. My son has verbal stims and likes to repeat single words or phrases, mainly words starting with a P. he'll often repeat words he doesn't know the meaning of. At the same time as my child has rights, so does his peers. His class setting was chosen appropriately for him with the supports he needed to be successful. Without those supports, no child would make it in public school, Pre K or otherwise. My child has never been in a school setting without the appropriate supports and I have yet to meet a parent who doesn't have the same other than those waiting on the school evaluation for qualifying for special education.

Being in the autism community for as long as I have, and reading stories from all over the world, I have seen parents in the media, but not over something like this in Pre K and a field trip, and never mentioning IDEA or an IEP. The articles you see school related are those in Due Process, and at that point the school can make some comments because it court documented.

As I said before, I wouldn't had given this article a second thought had the parent maintained privacy. Because they didn't, one has to wonder why not.
hmmm

Signal Mountain, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#143
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

6

4

3

From what I hear this was not even a field trip really. It was around one hour long. They walked to the produce market got a piece of fruit and walked back.

I'm sure the whole truth has not come out.

Did the reporter see proof that the child was in any way disabled? If so had the school been informed?
Canadian Mom

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#144
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

6

4

4

friend wrote:
Still not fooling anyone, but FYI: These people are seeing this in a totally different forum than the autism forum where I see it, so they have no idea nor realize that every time Winnipeg posts here, it coincides with his posts in the autism forum where he and I see this article. They can also see from the TN forum where they're seeing this, Winnipeg has only made comments on one topic, and so have I, because the bots pinged it to the autism forum as well, or we'd have never seen it. There has only been one Winnipeg posting in 5 years on the autism forum. All anyone has to do is head over to the autism forum to realize Winnipeg changes their name and dominates every article posted there.
More harasment and slander from someone called friend. Who needs this friend? What a psycho.
Really

Dayton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#145
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

5

4

4

I agree with you Canadian Mom!! Enough is enough. and people dont believe a word Friend is saying,, its not the truth. They do not arrest someone who has a diagnosis of M.R. IT DOES NOT HAPPEN unless the person doesnt have a support plan in place in which case is the family's fault!!
Really

Dayton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#146
May 7, 2013
 
Curious. you couldnt be MORE WRONG. There is almost always a diagnosis by the time the child is 3-4 IF the parent is attentive and uses common sense that their child is far behind their peers and seeks help accordingly.
yeast

Cleveland, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#147
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

6

4

4

I think friend is a DCS plant.
Really

Dayton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#148
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

6

5

4

yeast wrote:
I think friend is a DCS plant.
I totally agree.. NOT one parent with a special needs child acts this way.. Never in almost 20 years of my experience!!

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

7

5

5

Nice try, been there done that. I had already un-hid my location. Coment # 80 to be exact. Should had been here for it before I reset it to hide my location.
friend wrote:
Many people use the word hello, hello!Let me just show you how foolish you are. Take not I am not hiding my location. I don't live in the town it shows, either. My town is too small for Topix to locate. No, I don't live in that state where this article is from. This is posted in the autism forum, so any one from any country can see it. Yes, I do have a child with autism, not aspergers, not high function. Autism.
So next time before you assume and accuse another of who they are not, think before you embarrass yourself on an open forum.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#150
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

7

5

5

True and untrue. Many times a medical diagnosis is done by the age of 3 for autism. That is not true of asperger's. With asperger's, the medical diagnosis statistically isn't by age 3 or 4, but after the age of 5 and many with asperger's aren't 'behind' their peers, except socially. Those with asperger's don't have cognitive or speech delays, so diagnosing it generally isn't early.
Really wrote:
Curious. you couldnt be MORE WRONG. There is almost always a diagnosis by the time the child is 3-4 IF the parent is attentive and uses common sense that their child is far behind their peers and seeks help accordingly.
Canadian Mom

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#151
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

5

3

3

ric99 wrote:
<quoted text>
So the Winnipeg dummy has now had a sex change, and has become a woman. Before he/she protests that there are a lot of people living in Winnipeg, how many of them with an autistic son will be posting on the topix/autism forum, posting three posts on three different threads in the space of 8 minutes? He/she didn't think of that, did he/she. Not very smart.
Check this poster from the UK calling me a dummy and not even discussing the story. What's wrong with people on here? attack attack, its all they do.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#152
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

9

5

4

That was from 2 pages ago and comment
# 123 (which was Winnepeg's response to post # 120) was deleted.
The autism forum- scroll the whole list, all the recent posts on the first page are all from the same person, all from Winnipeg
http://www.topix.com/forum/health/autism
Curious

Rossville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#153
May 8, 2013
 

Judged:

6

4

4

Friend, am I not right in thinking that IF a diagnosis was done and the child was severely autistic you wouldn't want them in a prek setting where you probably wouldn't have the same access to attendants and such? I know prek in a part of the school but it is also separate from the school in a lot of ways. If the child was diagnosed it would more than likely be severe autism and not high functioning... it typically takes a little longer for a diagnosis with high functioning and aspergers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 121 - 140 of172
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Autism Forum right now

Search the Autism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
is this the autism forum...or the vaccine forum?? 37 min friend wrong again 9
editorial: California must improve vaccination ... Tue Provac Plopaganda 1
Autism risk is linked to pesticides Jul 8 frienDUH 6
Measles, mumps, rubella vaccine isn't linked to... Jul 8 Sheri23 12
The search to find a cure for autism Jul 8 Really 7
Anti-vaccine campaigners: Clueless Jul 7 Lizzie Conner 2
Scientific review affirms no link between vacci... Jul 7 ricBONEHEAD99 12
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••