School studied for environmental causes of autism

Full story: Newsday

A researcher says teachers at a Bergen County school that serves autistic children are giving birth to an unusually high number of autistic children themselves.
Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Dec 30, 2007
zeegoman

Hailsham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

You Americans take the biscuit!
anyone

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

wonder if they've checked the mercury levels of those kids.

things that make you go hmmm..
TheProbe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

Why would they check the mercury levels, since it has been proven that there is no link between Autism and Thimerosal? This sounds like the cluster in Silicon Valley.

And, Diedre Imus is absolutely wrong, and a danger to the health of children, by her antics. I would rather listen to her husband, even though he is utterly distasteful.
Teresa

Elmwood Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

TheProbe wrote:
Why would they check the mercury levels, since it has been proven that there is no link between Autism and Thimerosal? This sounds like the cluster in Silicon Valley.
And, Diedre Imus is absolutely wrong, and a danger to the health of children, by her antics. I would rather listen to her husband, even though he is utterly distasteful.
Well, Dr. Rosen did not mention Thimerosal but it is definitely a "suspect" since many pregnant women are told to get flu shots and 90% of them do contain Thimerosal. This is also similar in some ways to the Brick Township NJ cluster in 1998. The conclusion is similar to what this poster is doing...deny, confabulate, distort, change the topic,etc, to stop any type of environmental/vaccine related investigation. Check out this youtube on Northvale and autism-
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
GrammaKnows

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

TheProbe wrote:
Your posting may have been reflective of what has been currently reported (or should I say MIS-reported), however, there is new information out, as of November, which refutes the primary study quoted when that statement is made. The new study is published in the Journal of Child Neurology, Volume 2, Number 11, Nov 2007. Title of the article: "Blood Levels of Mercury Are Related to Diagnosis of Autism: A Reevaluation of an Important Data Set". It is a reanalysis of the original data and finds an aggregious error in the statistcal evaluation of the Ip, et al, study. The error has been acknowledged by the original study authors....the correct statistical analysis, having been applied by the authors of THIS study, DeSoto & Hitlan, arrives at the exact opposite conclusion of the earlier publication.

So, instead of "dissing" Dr Imus, you should be congratulating her for her diligence in actually being current on the science, unlike those who continue to claim there is no link, but refuse to keep their training up-to-speed on current developments in the field.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

TheProbe wrote:
Why would they check the mercury levels, since it has been proven that there is no link between Autism and Thimerosal?

There is not one study that proves this. And even the CDC is now backing away from stating that there is not a link. Anyone who believes that there clearly is OR is not a link is believing propaganda. The science is, thus far, inconclusive.
friend

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

environmental causes doesn't mean Thimerosal, and mercury levels can be caused by other things, like an actual mercury spill, or I believe New Jersey has coal mines...... why would they check the mercury levels of the kids since that's not the topic at all? it's the possible 'environmental causes' which could result in very interesting findings. "The initial study included interviews with 24 current or former school employees who had children either while they worked at the school or since then. Their 42 offspring included 24 with developmental disorders - 10 with autism." well if that doesn't peak an eye brow. more than half the children born to 24 people have developmental disorder's.
this is not a vaccine topic- article. The Probe was half right. why would they test mercury levels and then relate it to vaccines? and actually, Thimerosal has not been proven to cause autism, nor has it been proven it doesn't.
Dave

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2007

friend wrote:
environmental causes doesn't mean Thimerosal, and mercury levels can be caused by other things, like an actual mercury spill, or I believe New Jersey has coal mines...... why would they check the mercury levels of the kids since that's not the topic at all? it's the possible 'environmental causes' which could result in very interesting findings. "The initial study included interviews with 24 current or former school employees who had children either while they worked at the school or since then. Their 42 offspring included 24 with developmental disorders - 10 with autism." well if that doesn't peak an eye brow. more than half the children born to 24 people have developmental disorder's.
this is not a vaccine topic- article. The Probe was half right. why would they test mercury levels and then relate it to vaccines? and actually, Thimerosal has not been proven to cause autism, nor has it been proven it doesn't.
Well, the environment in and around the school should be tested but also factors outside of the schoool should be investigated. This can very easily lead back to vaccines. Maybe all of them are going to pediatricians that recieve their shots from the same product batch. Maybe they are go to pediatricians that suggest the same vaccine schedule or suggest the flu shot on the mother while she was pregnent. I think we are all looking at this from different angles and they are need to be investigated.
Talt

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2007

TheProbe wrote:
Because a link has not been proven does not mean there is no link. Looks like you could use a logic course.
friend

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2007

maybe the reason they're looking at the school is because they already did a preliminary study and found the vaccines was not a factor in these people. maybe it's because it's close to a refinery, maybe because it was built on an old garbage dump. maybe there's a natural magnetic field right there.
a lot of maybe's. I myself am very pleased to see some are expanding there studies outside of the vaccines
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the environment in and around the school should be tested but also factors outside of the schoool should be investigated. This can very easily lead back to vaccines. Maybe all of them are going to pediatricians that recieve their shots from the same product batch. Maybe they are go to pediatricians that suggest the same vaccine schedule or suggest the flu shot on the mother while she was pregnent. I think we are all looking at this from different angles and they are need to be investigated.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2007

friend wrote:
maybe the reason they're looking at the school is because they already did a preliminary study and found the vaccines was not a factor in these people. maybe it's because it's close to a refinery, maybe because it was built on an old garbage dump. maybe there's a natural magnetic field right there.
a lot of maybe's. I myself am very pleased to see some are expanding there studies outside of the vaccines <quoted text>

There seems to be a lot of things that "cause" autism, but it starts with a genetic predisposition. It is certainly important to research different angles and to keep an open mind. Better understanding of cause MIGHT led us to better prevention and treatment. Certainly that is what we all hope for.
friend

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2007

Isn't that what I said? LOL
Happy Holidays to you and your family
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
There seems to be a lot of things that "cause" autism, but it starts with a genetic predisposition. It is certainly important to research different angles and to keep an open mind. Better understanding of cause MIGHT led us to better prevention and treatment. Certainly that is what we all hope for.
RM Nixon

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2007

Otisse
Èn årtike di Wikipedia.
Potchî a: naiviaedje, cweri
Ên otisse, c' est èn efant ki n' sait viker e societé pask' i n' oize atôtchî les ôtes, et dmorer resseré so lu-minme.

Ci n' est nén ene maladeye del tiesse, mins on tourmint do diswalpaedje. C' est ene målåjhmince di l' atôtchance, nén ene maladeye d' aprindaedje a cåzer.

Gn åreut èn efant so 150 ki sereut otisse.

Les cis k' c' est leu mestî polèt dedja ricnoxhe l' otisse a 18 moes. Mins, po-z esse seur, i fåt conter 3 ans. Adon, l' efant otisse ni rwaite nén les grandès djins dins les ouys cwand on lyi cåze. I pout piker ene crijhe di colere.

Gn a bråmint des medcéns ki n' kinoxhnut nén assez cisse maladeye la, et rtårdjî l' moumint k' on va ataker al médyî sicolodjicmint.

Po des linwincieusès racsegnes sol mot "otisse", alez s' vey e splitchant motî.

[candjî] Médiaedje des efants otisses
C' est des djins d' mestî ki dvèt scoler les efants otisses. Ene boune rexhowe, c' est des classes esprès, dins les scoles ordinaires. Mins i fåt cåzu èn acsegnant po tchaeke efant.

Ene des terapeyes, c' est li tchvå-terapeye, fé monter les efants otisses so des tchvås.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2007

friend wrote:
Isn't that what I said? LOL
Happy Holidays to you and your family
<quoted text>

Um..... well,... yes.

I was simply agreeing with you in my own, turgid logorrheic, sophomoric sort of way.

"MERRY NEW YEAR!!!"
- William (Billy - Ray) Valentine (Eddie Murphy) in "Trading Places".
Director SMH

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2007

The school building environment should be checked for signs of (old or new) water damage, dampness and mold. Please visit www.schoolmoldhelp.org for information about autism and mold, damp buildings and health. Several studies and the reports by many with mold-illness indicate dampness and mold may be implicated in the development of autism. Mold and bacteria in damp buildings produce potent organic toxins.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Autism Discussions

Search the Autism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Autism Risks Determined Most By Genetic Variant... 17 hr friend 21
Largest study to date shows majority of autism ... Wed Yea We Know 4
Past coming back to haunt students Jul 21 Vaccines Cause Mutations 3
Robert Kennedy's Dangerous Anti-Vaccine Activism Jul 21 Vaccines Cause Mutations 1
What is Aspergers Syndrome? (Sep '11) Jul 20 PLOPAGANDA FEAR MONGERING 195
Doctors see fewer kids getting shots Jul 20 PLOPAGANDA FEAR MONGERING 1
Can the decision to refuse vaccination be truly... Jul 20 PLOPAGANDA FEAR MONGERING 1
•••
•••