Revision of Mental Illness Guide Stir...

Revision of Mental Illness Guide Stirs Debate

There are 11 comments on the Voice of America story from May 22, 2013, titled Revision of Mental Illness Guide Stirs Debate. In it, Voice of America reports that:

A long-anticipated revision of an official diagnostic guide to mental illness, known as the DSM-5, was released this week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Voice of America.

HumanSpirit

La Crosse, FL

#1 May 23, 2013
There is no debate .

The DSM represents a political entrapment of lies from an industry without science. No medical model. No evidence based medicine and no test or IMAGING DEVICE for any type of mental illness or disease. The industry is based on hearsay and is a threat to the health and welfare of any society.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#2 May 23, 2013
Way back in them olden days, mental illness was considered supernatural and religious leaders often turned to versions of exorcism to treat mental disorders often utilizing cruel and barbaric methods.
I wonder just what political 'entrapment' was going on in the 1800's??? Or on the 1950's when the DSM was first formed? I suppose instead of obtaining a diagnoses, we could all just go back to exorcism's of those who have bi-polar, schizophrenia, autism and so on which all have nothing to do with hearsay. There's no doubt those people who have those diagnosis actually do have those illnesses. I would hate to see so many 'entrapped' in some political agenda! Why not just let those people suffer instead??
Also, you don't need the DSM for that "no evidence based medicine". Some people here (from Canada) admits trying out every unfounded method under the sun on their child and none of it had anything to do with the APA at all.
HumanSpirit

La Crosse, FL

#3 May 23, 2013
friend wrote:
Way back in them olden days, mental illness was considered supernatural and religious leaders often turned to versions of exorcism to treat mental disorders often utilizing cruel and barbaric methods.
I wonder just what political 'entrapment' was going on in the 1800's??? Or on the 1950's when the DSM was first formed? I suppose instead of obtaining a diagnoses, we could all just go back to exorcism's of those who have bi-polar, schizophrenia, autism and so on which all have nothing to do with hearsay. There's no doubt those people who have those diagnosis actually do have those illnesses. I would hate to see so many 'entrapped' in some political agenda! Why not just let those people suffer instead??
Also, you don't need the DSM for that "no evidence based medicine". Some people here (from Canada) admits trying out every unfounded method under the sun on their child and none of it had anything to do with the APA at all.
As I stated, I believe the practice of medicine is predicated on something called the "medical model" which doctors learn in medical school and has a set of procedures by which they practice medicine. Psychiatry, Psychologist, psychotherapist" (psycho - the - rapist) and the 101 other titles of importance, if any, in the field of psychiatry /psychology I lump into one broad category: "The mental health worker" for convenience.

To me, Psychiatry is misplaced in academia and belongs in social medicine. Psychology should be part of anthropology and brains are topics of biology.

Psychiatrist mainly guess as to psychotropic drugs used on many of the made to order mental disease which were voted on by the hand raising exercises of the American Psychiatric Association members, yearly, and listed in the DSM. I think you can see, Psychiatry with it inventive ideology stemming from "phrenology" to electro shock therapy is dealing into the dark science much like one that would practice voodoo or witchcraft or play a game, with a person mind, of Tarot cards.

A quote of Psychotherapy for you:

“Psychotherapy may be known in the future as the greatest hoax of the twentieth century.” Dr. Lawrence LeShan, former president of the Association for Humanistic Psychology

As for psychiatrists diagnosing an illness predicated on something like pain & suffering or behavior or conduct is absurd to me and I would discount the diagnoses as much as I would distrust their theories of physical or chemical lobotomies or shock treatment.

Location hidden

#4 May 23, 2013
As Judge Judy would say, no one cares what you believe or what you think or feel. It's the facts anyone cares about (and you have no facts) and the mere mention of chemical lobotomies or shock treatment is an unfounded scare tactic.

Don't like the DSM or APA, no one cares. So don't go to a psych and you wont ever have to worry about those eeeeeeever dreaded lobotomies and shock treatment.
HumanSpirit

La Crosse, FL

#8 May 23, 2013
friend wrote:
As Judge Judy would say, no one cares what you believe or what you think or feel. It's the facts anyone cares about (and you have no facts) and the mere mention of chemical lobotomies or shock treatment is an unfounded scare tactic.
Don't like the DSM or APA, no one cares. So don't go to a psych and you wont ever have to worry about those eeeeeeever dreaded lobotomies and shock treatment.
I was only answering your misinformed post of the olden days above. Its bad manners to answer for other persons with statements like "no one cares" when you don't know what other people feel or care about.

No scare tactic on my part concerning lobotomies and shock treatment. Just facts.

Below is something that I consider scary:

Here is the agenda of the Mental Health in the take over of the Judiciary Branch of government (by state) on the problem the industry caused in the USA.(Drug America) This is a similar takeover to what happen in the Public School System.

Mental Health Courts State Links

Mental Health Court by links

http://www.ncsc.org/topics/problem-solving-co...
HumanSpirit

La Crosse, FL

#9 May 23, 2013
This is interesting to me. Wonder what the Republican ALEC thinks?

Here is the agenda of the Mental Health in the take over of the Judiciary Branch of government (by state) on the problem the industry caused in the USA.(Drug America) This is a similar takeover to what happen in the Public School System.

Mental Health Courts State Links

Mental Health Court by links

http://www.ncsc.org/topics/problem-solving-co...
HumanSpirit

La Crosse, FL

#10 May 23, 2013
Cartoon: Psychiatry / Court/ puppet

http://familyrights.us/images/psychs_shred_ri...

Location hidden

#11 May 24, 2013
You answered nothing, but went off the wall about a whole lot of nonsense and still are. I was not misinformed. No one does care about your scare tactics. Most think you're 'nuts'. Anyone can read what Mental Health Court is, another failed scare tactic. Imagine the idea of someone with a mental illness also being a criminal. Hard to imagine anyone would find jail diversion scary. And nothing of the sort has happened in the public school system. For one, MHC is concerning adults. One can obtain special education without an actual medical diagnosis.

That said, reality is insurance companies often require a diagnosis and progress reports in order for most things to be covered including O.T and S.T. No one forces anyone to obtain a DSM diagnosis but whent they do, they do so of their own free will.

The DSM has it's 5th revision. The 5th. Eventually there will be a 6th, and 7th and on and on.
HumanSpirit

La Crosse, FL

#12 May 25, 2013
APA Admits there is no test for "chemical imbalance"

American Psychiatric Association admitted it lied to the American Public

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp...

Biopsychiatry Illuminated

THE CANDLELIGHT PROJECT by Bob Collier

29 September 2003 Issue 61

This week, a few representative excerpts from an article that I discovered on my internet travels only a matter of days ago, concerning the area in which biopsychiatry has, it seems to me, most comprehensively misled the world at large.

Please go to the website linked to below the excerpts and read the complete article. Then you will not be bamboozled should a doctor, teacher, journalist, ad man, politician, family member, friend, some bloke in your local pub, or whoever, start waffling on at you about 'mental illness' being caused by 'chemical imbalances' in the brain. You will know better!

There Are No "Chemical Imbalances"

"The hypothetical disturbances of neurochemical function that are said to underlie "mental illness" are just that: hypothetical. No experiment has ever shown that anyone has an "imbalance" of any neurotransmitters or any other brain chemicals. Nor could any conceivable experiment demonstrate the existence of a "chemical imbalance," simply because no one, least of all the biopsychiatrists, has the slightest idea what a proper and healthy chemical "balance" would look like."

"...the views and beliefs of biopsychiatry have nothing to do with the answers to scientific questions in any case: the hunt for biological "causes" of "mental illness" is an entirely fallacious enterprise in the first place; the non- existence of data to support its assertions is quite beside the point."

"The latest edition of one pharmacology text has this to say about the status of depression as a disease: "Despite extensive efforts, attempts to document the metabolic changes in human subjects predicted by these [biological] hypotheses have not, on balance, provided consistent or compelling corroboration." This is a long-winded way of admitting that not even a scrap of evidence supports the idea that depression results from a "chemical imbalance." Yet patients are told every day - by their doctors, by the media, and by drug company advertising - that it is a proven scientific fact that depression has a known biochemical origin. It follows directly that millions of Americans are being lied to by their doctors; and people surely can't give informed consent for drug treatment when what they're being "informed" by is a fraud.... To sum up: there is no evidence whatsoever to support the view that "mental illness" is biochemical in origin; in other words, things like "Unipolar Disorder" and "Attention Deficit Disorder" simply do not exist."

Read the complete article, There Are No "Chemical Imbalances" by Eaton T. Fores, at the Eaton T. Fores Research Center:

http://www.etfrc.com/ChemicalImbalances.htm

http://www.adhd-report.com/biopsychiatry/bio_...
HumanSpirit

La Crosse, FL

#13 May 25, 2013
I wonder how long the people will allow the crimes and atrocities of the pharmaceutical / Mental Health Industry to erode the judicial princibles of this nation with false testimony against people and children being jailed and redrugged for side effects of profitable mind drugs and blaming mental illness .

Public cases

Death, violence, erratic behavior and the suicide by mind drugs

http://ssristories.com/index.php

Soldier Cases

http://www.ssristories.com/index.php...
Vaccines Cause Autism

Winnipeg, Canada

#15 May 31, 2013
Human Spirit 1, friend 0

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Book Explores Drinking, Drug Abuse, and Add... Oct 18 Denver NeVaar 1
News Are You an 'Anti-Vaxxer'? Your Friends Are on T... Oct 15 friend 5
News 'The Pathological Optimist' profiles a notoriou... Oct 12 Vaccinfartion 9
News Study claims vaccines-autism link; scientists f... Oct 12 The Wakefield Tre... 1
News Study lights up anti-vaxxers' twitter habits Oct 12 friend lies 3
Looking for Similar Mothers of children w/ Auti... (Jul '08) Oct 7 Bill Chaffee 132
News Autistic characters lead TV's 'Good Doctor' and... Oct 6 Vacines the cause 1
More from around the web