Autism or Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
Nikkilou

Middlesbrough, UK

#41 Apr 11, 2010
friend wrote:
Unlike those who adopted, bio-parents know if they drank during pregnancy or not and FAS would had been ruled out as a cause for symptom's. There is nothing so trendy about an autism diagnosis, not when you're the parent of the child of which is displaying the symptom's.
As for a combo of autism and FAS, the interventions are probably close to the same however there is a certain amount of brain damage with FAS and prgresion may be less for those effected by that.
I have to disagree with you. Biological parents may know that they drank during pregnancy but many are not going to tell social services that they did!! If they have already had a child removed they know that giving this information will almost certainly increase the risk of another being removed. Plus, if they already know a child is going to be removed why should they then tell everyone that they drank alcohol? My adopted daughter's medical notes show nothing about alcohol exposure but it was known by previous foster carers etc that birth mum drank. So all paediatricians we saw had to go on was assumptions. Therefore, FAS was never even suspected until she came to live with us. And autism is becoming a "trendy" diagnosis as I said. It certainly is not cool for parents like us living with it but docs seems to be over diagnosing this condition, which is why I refered to it as a "Trendy" diagnosis in the true sense of the word-a diagnosis that is becoming a trend.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#42 Apr 11, 2010
Nikkilou I was obviously talking about the bio parents who keep their child ("Unlike those who adopted"). I wasn't talking about an adopted child in which the medical history may not be known.
Sara

United States

#43 Aug 2, 2010
My grand-daughter was dx with autism aftet 11 yrs. Her mom drank during the 1st three months of pregnancy, but was not truthful with the doctors. However, she has wide spaced eyes, flat bridge of nose, and undeveloped top lip. So, what you think ab out that? Doctors can't give FASE dx if the mother denies drinking alcohol.
EquiisSavant

Gainesville, FL

#44 Jan 20, 2011
FAS has been documented to cause Autism, http://www.come-over.to/FAS/autism.htm . In addition the CDC's more recent tobacco report documents that smoking causes Autism.

I have the absolute proof my father committed knowing & willful perjury, which was knowingly & willfully suborned by his five CA attorneys and Dr. Jacqueline Singer, Ph.D. court psychologist in SCV-113561, grandparent visitation case, and by Patricia A. Scotlan, Andrea T. Wachter, and Scott Drexel in the CA State Bar Court in MKD, Bar Applicant. The perjury was father's statement he 'only learned my Mom was an alcoholic after his divorce in 1970.' I have a photo showing she was drinking and smoking while pregnant with me. It is dated by the photo developer.

This perjury was not only used to deny my CA bar admission, but also to deliberately mis-diagnose me in order to evade providing me the proper Autism diagnoisis and all the lifetime supports and services to which I was entitled. I have the admissible proof.
EquiisSavant

Gainesville, FL

#45 Jan 20, 2011
One more thing - Scotlan, Wachter, and Drexel's part in suborning the perjury was particularly malicious, because they procured their misdiagnosis through UC Davis, what is now handling the CHARGE studies. My father, his five attorneys, the court psychologist, and Scotlan, Wachter, and Drexel carried this perjury / suborniation of perjury through the federal courts in Day v. Sonoma Co./ California Bar and MKDP v. State of Florida / State of CA, M.D. Fla. 03-cv-1746 SCB MSS.

Wasn't it interesting when my Mom's suicide notes stated she was committing suicide because my father's five attorneys and court psychologist committed this perjury.

Wasn't it doubly interesting the Calif Bar Court Judge wrote my bar admission was denied for "pre-determinism," - i.e., my Autistic genetic cellular makeup (outside the jurisdiction the CA legislature granted), rather than character, and that CA Supreme Court Chief Justice Ronald M. George's acts in instructing his Clerk to tell me 'people with LD, Autism, quadraplegics, without arms or legs' will not be licensed as attorneys in CA, demonstrating he knew and used the perjury which includes my having vaccine induced paralytic polio meningitis, seven damaged Cranial Nerves, and brain stem damage - triggering regressive Autism and TLE.
EquiisSavant

Gainesville, FL

#46 Jan 20, 2011
So when people think it is without consequence that a mother (or father, in my case_ lies, commits false statements on government forms, and/or knowing and willful perjury to hide the mother's smoking and drinking suring pregnancy,

Think again.

The Autism person this has been done to is the victim. For a lifetime.
EquiisSavant

Gainesville, FL

#47 Jan 20, 2011
suring pregnancy = during pregnancy
hmmm....never drank!

San Diego, CA

#48 Jan 29, 2011
sistersister wrote:
Autism is on the rise..could this be the new diagnosis instead of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. Autism Awareness is a hot topic these days...I only hear parents of special needs children using the term "Autistic" and never "Fetal
Alcohol Spectrum Disorder" Both have very similar charateristics. Vaccines are being blamed as a contributing factor for Autism.
I just wonder how many of these Autism cases were caused as a result of the alcohol and other harmful substances injested during pregnancy.
My son has autism and I never drank. I also currently work with autistic children , and have worked with FAS kids in the past.
Kids with FAS have distinct physical features and symptoms that do not mirror those of autism.
Curiousmind

Winter Garden, FL

#49 Jan 29, 2011
I have a cousin who is now 5. For the past few years I have watched her and have noticed many abnormalities in her beghavior. She was diagnosed with FAS early on, but now at age 5 she has been diagnosed with ADD. Her behaviors include arm flailing (which I know could be nothing more than normal for a child). She still can not form full sentences and only knew a few words at age 3. She an extremely vivid imagination (which in my studies doesnt seem to fit the criteria). But she also seems to be off in another world sometimes. Sitting 2 feet away I can call her name loudly many times and she stares off blankly. Its almost as if she cant hear or pull away from concentrating. This includes when being asked to do a task. Until recently, she has had almost no emotional expressions. The biggest alarm to me is her lack of fear in anything. When misbehaving she may be threatened to be punished she only laughs (but does not run) and trys to play no matter how much frustration or anger is shown. Almost as if she cant recognize it is not a game when scolded. I do not know if this is because she is truly separated from most emotion or not. She is now on meds. for ADD and for the first time since being an infant she can cry again but that is all. It is good to see emotion from her but I worry because the medication is serious for a 5 yr. old to be taking and other than crying she is almost a zombie in comparison to before. I'm just wondering in EVERYONES opinions (especially a doctors) if she may have been misdiagnosed at some point. Or if she could POSSIBLY have autism. If someone believes me ignorant, I will not argue. This is a complicated matter and that is why I want to learn as much as I can before assuming anything.
Motherofasonwith HFA

San Diego, CA

#50 Jan 31, 2011
Curiousmind wrote:
I have a cousin who is now 5. For the past few years I have watched her and have noticed many abnormalities in her beghavior. She was diagnosed with FAS early on, but now at age 5 she has been diagnosed with ADD. Her behaviors include arm flailing (which I know could be nothing more than normal for a child). She still can not form full sentences and only knew a few words at age 3. She an extremely vivid imagination (which in my studies doesnt seem to fit the criteria). But she also seems to be off in another world sometimes. Sitting 2 feet away I can call her name loudly many times and she stares off blankly. Its almost as if she cant hear or pull away from concentrating. This includes when being asked to do a task. Until recently, she has had almost no emotional expressions. The biggest alarm to me is her lack of fear in anything. When misbehaving she may be threatened to be punished she only laughs (but does not run) and trys to play no matter how much frustration or anger is shown. Almost as if she cant recognize it is not a game when scolded. I do not know if this is because she is truly separated from most emotion or not. She is now on meds. for ADD and for the first time since being an infant she can cry again but that is all. It is good to see emotion from her but I worry because the medication is serious for a 5 yr. old to be taking and other than crying she is almost a zombie in comparison to before. I'm just wondering in EVERYONES opinions (especially a doctors) if she may have been misdiagnosed at some point. Or if she could POSSIBLY have autism. If someone believes me ignorant, I will not argue. This is a complicated matter and that is why I want to learn as much as I can before assuming anything.
It is possible to have two disorders at the same time. Why not get her evaluated if you suspect ASD?
Keri

Camp Hill, PA

#51 Feb 6, 2011
I am 31 years old, had my son when I was 20 and never drank any alcohol before or after my pregnancy and my son has autism. I would look at genetics before you blame it on fetal alcohol syndrome. If people would be honest about their mental health issues (anxiety, depression, adhd, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, obsessive compulsive disorder) etc. they would realize the relationship between each parents mental health or family history of mental health problems and the fact that they now have an autistic child. An autistic child exhibits symptoms of a lot of mental health disorders so you could say that autism is like having every mental health disorder all in one or at least most of them. Sometimes an autistic child exhibits a few symptoms of each disorder. It really depends on the child. Not all autistic children are the same. Some are verbal, make eye contact, like to socialize and have an imagination, others may not. You may also want to look at the levels of testosterone in pre and post natal women. This could determine the reason and level of aggression in your autistic child. Even though your child may be autistic, the symptoms that are associated with autism can still be related to an actual medical problem. This is the reason why I am never giving my son medication for his autism, along with the fact that understanding why he exhibits the behaviors that he does can help in finding different techniques to control those behaviors and allow the child to be able to act appropriately in situations instead of inappropriately. Do yourself a favor and allow your child to be able to become overstimulated. This would enable him/her to develop ways of controlling their behaviors and they will be able to deal with the world in which they live in. Expose them to changes of routine, crowds of people, scholarly activities, recreational activities, classical music, etc. etc. Autistic children need to be able to develop ways to deal with the world around them that is magnified 1000%. How else are they going to be able to exist as adults if they aren't able to adapt to their surroundings? People want to blame Autism on everything when in reality the explanation and reason is right under their noses. I think this is funny because it is not a disability, it is a blessing and if I had the chance to experience the world as an autistic child does I would do it in a heartbeat. They are so much more appreciative of the things we take for granted and they see the world with all of their senses instead of just one or two. Amazing!
true

Jonesville, VA

#52 Feb 27, 2011
[QUOTE who="hmmm....never drank!"]<quoted text>
My son has autism and I never drank. I also currently work with autistic children , and have worked with FAS kids in the past.
Kids with FAS have distinct physical features and symptoms that do not mirror those of autism.[/QUOTE]This is true. My son and I have autism/aspergers...I never drank alcohol before or during pregnacy. I'm not a drinker. I have several people in my family with autism and autistic traits. When I was growing up they didn't have these dx. and I think they are being over and underused. I think many ARE getting the wrong dx. But this is the fault of the MD's and psychologist. I researched and finally found out what was going on with my child. His DR. asked my son how old he was and what was his teachers name and then told me he wouldn't know that if he had aspergers but he probably has ADHD. I told him I would be taking him to a doctor who was able to recognize the sx because he met all the criteria for the dx. The school psychologist who later come to find out had his liscense revoked several years earlier for abusing and having sex with patients,among other things said my son had ODD and there was nothing wrong with him that a firm hand would not take care of. This was after spending less than 30 minutes with him doing his psychological and IQ testing. He said that if I continued to push for special education services he would see my child in the Step program. The Step program is where they put children with severe behavior and mental issues most of them are high schoolers,my son was six. I told him my son would never be in step. His teachers and principal sided with me and he got special education services. He told me his dx would be "severly mentally disturbed" I told him that my child was not severly mentally disturbed and was not taking that dx and that he was the one who was severly mentally disturbed and they put the dx as developmentally delayed and told him I had already had him evaluated by another and it took over 4 hours not thirty minutes and we'll see what they have to say. Well at the next meeting a couple of months later his evaluation was back and the school psychologist had a fit. My son had Aspergers,ODD,and ADHD. The school has gave us nothing but problems and other bad things until the last year and a half. I had to get a lawyer. It's been miserable. I would home school him if he didn't need the socialization with kids his age and everything else. He is 9 now. I could write a book on the trials my child and family has been through. I'll post a couple of newspaper bits about his school. This system only has about 3,400 students but it is messed up.
true

Jonesville, VA

#53 Feb 27, 2011
www.timesnews.net/article.php... This is about the psychologist
true

Jonesville, VA

#54 Feb 27, 2011
www.timesnews.net/article.php... This is about one of my sons teachers and his principal.
Autism Doc

Las Vegas, NV

#55 Mar 12, 2011
In response to sistersister, A very good question! A mother who drinks puts her child at risk. At birth,the baby can be tested for drugs and alcohol and it is determined if the baby is FAE or FAS. Talk to your doctor. If the child is either of these, then that is the Primary Disorder! Now... unfortunately...the BAD NEWS... the FAS and the FAE can cause the Secondary Disorder which is AUTISM! So are we on the same page? Now you may have a Fetal Alcohol Syndrome child with Autism. These children may have severe learning problems and oh how they... may....as babies... cry alot!! Thank you to the nurses!!
FBOMBER

Winnipeg, Canada

#56 Apr 3, 2011
If you also over vaccinate an FASD child you're looking at double jeopardy.
mom of 2 beautiful girls

Salt Lake City, UT

#57 Oct 26, 2011
SHAME ON YOU for not having the slightest idea that one or two drinks can damage a fetus and NO NOT HEALTHY FOR YOUR HEART. I am not saying that alcohol is related to autism in any way shape or form, but you are just as ignorant about FAS as the original person who posted was about autism. Alcohol is more damaging than any other substance on a fetus. There is research showing that as little as one to two drinks may permanently damage a person's brain. So before you start posting facts about FAS, please get them right.
FBOMBER

Canada

#58 Oct 27, 2011
Payman wrote:
Alcohol has nothing to do with autism. It happens when and if mothers drink excessively during pregnancy. Autism happens most often to educated people. Enginneers are high above the mark. These people know much better not to drink and take better care of the children than regular Joe Black who has elementary school education and has neurotypicals.
Ignorance is a bliss, do not give up...
Speaking of ignorance you take the cake.
MATL-BCBA

San Diego, CA

#59 Nov 28, 2011
sistersister wrote:
Autism is on the rise..could this be the new diagnosis instead of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. Autism Awareness is a hot topic these days...I only hear parents of special needs children using the term "Autistic" and never "Fetal
Alcohol Spectrum Disorder" Both have very similar charateristics. Vaccines are being blamed as a contributing factor for Autism.
I just wonder how many of these Autism cases were caused as a result of the alcohol and other harmful substances injested during pregnancy.
Fetal alcohol syndrome is extremely different form autism. Both in terms of the physical effects (FAS causes facial change such as the shortening or lack of a filtrum-the depression in under you nose running down to the top of your upper lip) while autism does not have this feature.

Autism also has theory of mind errors as a hallmark trait - regardless of IQ, where as FAS, downs, ADHD, etc do NOT have the theory of mind errors unless the individual in question has an extremely low IQ...
Andrew Harper from Aust

Australia

#61 Jul 16, 2012
Jen wrote:
<quoted text>
Not even close. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome occurs in about two out of one thousand births. They have a distinctive pattern of unusual facial characteristics(flattened nose, underdeveloped upper lip and widely spaced eyes) these are three common physical characteristics, poor growth and central nervous system problems. Autism is a condition characterized by a range of severe cognitive deficits and unresponsiveness to other people. The autisitc spectrum is huge. This information was obtained from Child Development, It's Nature and It's Course, which is a child psychology text.
Jen probably best to not rely on just 1 research source. There are millions of people around the globe who have differing expressions of FASD without the facial characteristics and they may not even know they have FAS, which it has been suggested is on the Autism Spectrum. It is known as the invisible disability. I know because I'm one of them. The facial characteristics occur when alcohol is consumed in the third week of preg. specifically on the 20th & 21st day. Kind Regards.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Film 'VaxXed' on vaccines and autism to be show... Wed WAKEFIELD FRAMED 1
my son got some relief Jul 20 Larry 1
News Podcast: An Interview with Temple Grandin: 'Vis... Jul 19 Joe 1
News Scientific Evidence and the EU Court Jul 6 VAERS NVICP 1
News 'He pinned my arms down and he strangled me' - ... Jun 30 VACCINES CAUSE AU... 1
News Couple 'at breaking point' with challenged youn... Jun 30 whataJOKE 1
News Is there such a thing as an autism gene? Jun 30 whataJOKE 1
More from around the web