Fort Mill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2008

Judged:

Autism is on the rise..could this be the new diagnosis instead of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. Autism Awareness is a hot topic these days...I only hear parents of special needs children using the term "Autistic" and never "Fetal
Alcohol Spectrum Disorder" Both have very similar charateristics. Vaccines are being blamed as a contributing factor for Autism.
I just wonder how many of these Autism cases were caused as a result of the alcohol and other harmful substances injested during pregnancy.
Friend

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2008

Judged:

Well, let me help put that wondering to rest. I'd stick myself out there to suggest the autism rates do not reflect a bunch of drunk mother's. Also, for those children who regressed, this is not the case with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, which affects those children right from birth.
da1nonlydestiny

Ronkonkoma, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2008

Judged:

i believe there is a mixture going on here. Doctors are being forced into diagnosing more and now they are over looking other conditions that have very similar symptoms as Autism. I do not believe all cases of Autism are diagnosed correctly.
Friend

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2008

Judged:

Well, doctors are not forced to diagnose autism and most times it's like pulling teeth to get a doc to acknowledge your kid has anything wrong at all. Prior to my child getting a DX, he had to have other tests done first.

To suggest however Fetal Alcohol Syndrome as being the misdiagnosis is not only ridiculous but insulting to let's say.... a parent like me.
Jen

Jersey Shore, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2008

Judged:

sistersister wrote:
Autism is on the rise..could this be the new diagnosis instead of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. Autism Awareness is a hot topic these days...I only hear parents of special needs children using the term "Autistic" and never "Fetal
Alcohol Spectrum Disorder" Both have very similar charateristics. Vaccines are being blamed as a contributing factor for Autism.
I just wonder how many of these Autism cases were caused as a result of the alcohol and other harmful substances injested during pregnancy.
Not even close. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome occurs in about two out of one thousand births. They have a distinctive pattern of unusual facial characteristics(flattened nose, underdeveloped upper lip and widely spaced eyes) these are three common physical characteristics, poor growth and central nervous system problems. Autism is a condition characterized by a range of severe cognitive deficits and unresponsiveness to other people. The autisitc spectrum is huge. This information was obtained from Child Development, It's Nature and It's Course, which is a child psychology text.
Tracie

Traverse City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

Judged:

As if parents who have a child with Autism aren't already scrutinized and looked at from a magnifying glass-leave it to some uneducated bystander who most likely doesn't have or know parents who have a child with Autism to throw out fetal alcohol syndrome- what an insult... I have met many parents with children who are perfectly normal, who drank to extremes...none of us owe it to you to describe our prenatal or preprenatal lifestyles- but I can assure you I for one have met many a parent with a child who suffers from Autism- myself included., I wanted my child- I already had one healthy child- I attended every Doctors appointment, took my prenatal vitamins, ate healthy foods, walked- and no, I didn't drink- and prior to pregnancy if I did I had one or two and that was it and usually no more than once or twice a week (any Doctor would tell you that was a healthy amount-even good for your heart and blood flow)- I expected a second healthy child, that was not in the cards and it had absolutely nothing to do with alcohol.
If you had any idea what parents with children who have Autism go through, the routines they have to follow, the extrmes of therapies they do to try to help their child- you wouldn't be throwing such stones- shame on you- your comment is as off the wall as saying Autism is caused by T.V., or video games (and I for one know plenty of children who don't have Autism and are addicted to both)- again, SHAME ON YOU...
Tracie

Traverse City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2008

P.S., Although I am not completely sold on the whole Vacine causes Autism debate I will say it warrents all the testing and scrutinizing it gets- have you ever bothered to look up the ingredients that are put into vacines that are injected into our childrens bodies- it is frightening!!! I for one believe vacines should be determined safe for all children, and they should be regulated not matter if they are proven to cause Autism or not!
ASDFASD

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2008

Judged:

Actually you are probably quite accurate. At the very least we should be examining the relationship between alcohol and ASD. I am a parent who has a child with both diagnoses, and have been a professional in the field for 40 years.Information is not casting stones, it is increasing awareness.
No known amount of alcohol is safe. Even a single dose of alcohol can create cellular level problems.(Onley) The majority of women in the US drink before they know they are pregnant. The features of FAS are caused in the 19-29th day of gestation. Most children who are effected do not have the features of FAS.Alcohol does cause brain damage.
Lab studies show that rats exposed to alcohol will have offspring with lower rates of vocalization, perseveration, executive functioning problems,and other issues similar to ASD. Metabolic problems are common in FASD and may be why some fetuses have susceptibility and later reactions to immunizations.
There is little research on the relationship but anyone working with both populations is well aware that there is a high rate of comorbidity. The American Academy of pediatrics lists FAS as a common comorbid condition to ASD.10-20% of the students I evaluate for ASD every year are adopted and known or suspected of being prenatally exposed. We never hear of the biological children. The reason that this is important is that there are some possible treatments such as choline. Choline may stop and repair damage during fetal development caused by alcohol. Canada is considering a law that will force alcohol distributors to put choline and folic acid in all alcohol. Stigma is a big issue for those of us who are parenting children who have FASD.
You don't have to be an alcoholic or even have a serious drinking problem to cause damage to a fetus. You just need to have a drink at the wrong time. Surely this is not information that alcohol lobbies want known.
sistersister wrote:
MAJOR Mal

Eastwood, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

to ASDFASD "other issues similar to ASD"

like mercury poisoning...
Prymond

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

Judged:

Ok!!! I see very smart(Ohmmm!) people on this site...

Fetal alcohol syndrome causing autism, that is a great one... We found the cause of autism. Lets go after the alcohol manufacturing facilities.

Wow!! it does not take long to think if alcohol had anything to do with autism even 1 %, wouldn't we have be seeing huge autism number of today this 40-50 years ago.

Why there is epidemic proportion of autism now.
One reason, failure of AAP, CDC, FDA, HCFBI.

All these organisations who were trusted by the public. They have failed their duties of that of protecting children.
sistersister

Fort Mill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

Do some research on ASD and FASD and you will find that doctors find similar characteristics in both syndromes...lack of eye contact, social issues, delayed speech, stimming, etc.
I know of three women that have autistic children.
These women drank early in their pregnancy, and also smoked cigarettes. Not one of them will admit that quite possibly, alcohol played a factor in their child's neurological condition.
Doctors also mention the fact some mothers are not truthful about alcohol consumption during pregnancy, so if the affected child does not exhibit physical characteristic traits of FASD, the child is likey to be diagionised with ASD.
truth teller

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Judged:

This IS true. My neice was diagnosed with autism because she doesn't display the physical traits of FAS. However FAE (Fetal Alcohol Effects) is very similar to autism. I believe true autism and FAE are being clumped together for sure. Many mothers are relieved by this diagnosis because they don't want the finger pointed at them while true autism becomes an ever bigger mystery. No level of alcohol is safe and finger pointing is not the issue. It's awareness.
Kathy Page

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2008

Thank you so much for your comment. I think the next mountain for us to climb (in the neurodevelopmental field) is the one that examines the effects of prenatal alcohol exposure--coolly and dispassionately--at the same time as we honor the experiences of parents who really don't want to think about connecting prenatal alcohol with their kids' problems.
ASDFASD wrote:
Actually you are probably quite accurate. At the very least we should be examining the relationship between alcohol and ASD. I am a parent who has a child with both diagnoses, and have been a professional in the field for 40 years.Information is not casting stones, it is increasing awareness.
No known amount of alcohol is safe. Even a single dose of alcohol can create cellular level problems.(Onley) The majority of women in the US drink before they know they are pregnant. The features of FAS are caused in the 19-29th day of gestation. Most children who are effected do not have the features of FAS.Alcohol does cause brain damage.
Lab studies show that rats exposed to alcohol will have offspring with lower rates of vocalization, perseveration, executive functioning problems,and other issues similar to ASD. Metabolic problems are common in FASD and may be why some fetuses have susceptibility and later reactions to immunizations.
There is little research on the relationship but anyone working with both populations is well aware that there is a high rate of comorbidity. The American Academy of pediatrics lists FAS as a common comorbid condition to ASD.10-20% of the students I evaluate for ASD every year are adopted and known or suspected of being prenatally exposed. We never hear of the biological children. The reason that this is important is that there are some possible treatments such as choline. Choline may stop and repair damage during fetal development caused by alcohol. Canada is considering a law that will force alcohol distributors to put choline and folic acid in all alcohol. Stigma is a big issue for those of us who are parenting children who have FASD.
You don't have to be an alcoholic or even have a serious drinking problem to cause damage to a fetus. You just need to have a drink at the wrong time. Surely this is not information that alcohol lobbies want known.
<quoted text>
Payman

Trois-rivières, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2008

Judged:

Alcohol has nothing to do with autism. It happens when and if mothers drink excessively during pregnancy. Autism happens most often to educated people. Enginneers are high above the mark. These people know much better not to drink and take better care of the children than regular Joe Black who has elementary school education and has neurotypicals.

Ignorance is a bliss, do not give up...
MAJOR Mal

Blackburn, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2008

In my experience one can fool most of the people most of the time.

For as long as parents are not willing to consider that they may be in the most of the people boat, the ASD industry will grow.
CA Alamo Joe

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2008

Judged:

In my opinion alcohol consumption initiates and/or exacerbates gestational sleep apnea. The reduced blood oxygen levels injures the fetal brain, at least that is the way I see it.

During pregnancy, Mom's sleep apnea injures the brain, but in regresive autism the child has sleep apnea which injures the brain.
comeback

Traverse City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2008

Say the woman did not drink but the male "donor" drank heavily- in your theory could this play a part as well? In this day and asg most "want to be" pregnant woman take excellent care of themselves to prepare; this isn't always true for their partner though.
Unless the above theory play out I really think you are off base in your theory only because of the great prenatal care and education women receive today-it just doesn't make sence.
FASD mom from 29

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2008

Judged:

My son has FASD from me drinking before I knew I was pregnant, that has nothing to do with me being uneducated because as soon as I found out I was pregnant I stopped drinking. When I was drinking I had know signs of being pregnant I didn't even miss my 1st period but my son still got FASD. If you where so educated payman you would know that FASD occurs within the first trimester of a pregnancy and some women don't even know they are pregnant until the middle of the first trimester. so maybe you should do more research before you call people stupid before thay made a mistake they didn't even know they were making, as if we don't regret making the mistake of drinking as it is because believe me having a son with FASD is no cake walk. I am not saying anything about autism I don't know enough about it to comment but I do know about FASD. I know ALOT of educated people who drink so how can you say there kids don't have FASD. Personnaly I think alot of ADD/ADHD(bi-polar)kids are getting miss diagnosed because that is what my son was diagnosed with to begin with until I did more research about FAS after seeing a special on TV about it and realised I need to get my son tested for that instead and they diagnosed him after 3 days of testing. I am not saying all kids diagnosed with ADD/ADHD(Bi-Polar) are miss diagnosed but I bet there are some that have FASD instead.
Margita

Cambridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2008

Judged:

Payman wrote:
Alcohol has nothing to do with autism. It happens when and if mothers drink excessively during pregnancy. Autism happens most often to educated people. Enginneers are high above the mark. These people know much better not to drink and take better care of the children than regular Joe Black who has elementary school education and has neurotypicals.
Ignorance is a bliss, do not give up...
Well, that's nice and elitist. I'm a PhD student and my DH is a prof - what the hell does that have to do with our risk of alcohol consumption? Alcoholism and social drinking (both of which can cause brain damage in a fetus) span the full socioeconomic spectrum, dearie. Just beacuse you don't see your engineer friends drunk on the sidewalk doesn't mean a woman of such status can't harm her baby by drinking.
ASDFASD

Ashland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2008

Judged:

If you do the research you will find that there is an increase in alcohol use the higher the education. To the Yucca Valley mother, thanks for putting yourself out there. It takes courage to get beat up while you try and educate "educated people."

I agree. When I see Bipolar and ADD I wonder if it is FASD.I just saw a study today that showed 6 out of 22 kids in a survey with FAS had Bipolar.Another 4 had depression. I know women who have children with Autism Spectrum who did not drink and I know those who did. I don't think there is on etiology for ASD but many and i think prenatal exposure to alcohol is one.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of64
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••