Handling a teenage autistic child and...

Handling a teenage autistic child and PMS

Posted in the Autism Forum

Gail

United States

#1 Jul 5, 2007
Can anyone help me out there? How does one handle PMS with an autistic child?
Nancy

Shelby, NC

#2 Jul 6, 2007
My computer just flipped out on me. I hope you got the rest of what I said in my first e-mail which just magically disappeared into cyberspace. You are only human and you have the right to ask others for help when you need it. Basically what I said was that my husband rescues my son. I have also done other things when he was out of town on business, such as let him "play" ( he does not know how to do that really) at a friend's house who has a kiddo on the spectrum. I return the favor to her. The boys "watch TV" or one plays computer games while the other one plays with his favorite obsession. If that is not possible and no family members can help ( I live in NC and most of them are out of town or live in Ohio) then I send my son to his room to play with toys that I don't care if he destroys. He is a master at destroying toys, but during PMS, I need space more than he needs supervision. I just make sure he is safe and secure. I also try to spend some one on one time with him doing something he likes to do. When he is done with me, I can go into another room to be by myself to read or just relax. He is autistic and he is doing the best that I can. I am not wonderwoman and I am doing the best that I can. Giving him a little time alone won't hurt in the long run. I certainly don't leave him for hours on end, just enough time to calm myself down. If you can't do any of this, I hope you will look into help from the state. Cleveland is a pretty big place. There has to be some sort of support in the metro area. Good luck and don't beat yourself up over this.

“Pay attention, boy!”

Since: Jun 07

Auburn Hills, MI

#3 Jul 8, 2007
Gail wrote:
Can anyone help me out there? How does one handle PMS with an autistic child?
Did you mean you have an autistic daughter who has PMS?

Just clarifying the question
Gail

United States

#4 Jul 10, 2007
Foghorn Leghorn wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you mean you have an autistic daughter who has PMS?
Just clarifying the question
I'm sorry, yes it is she that has the pms not I. She is 16 years old and can't control her emotions when this time comes up. I've been logging it for some time now and notice a total change in her. Does anyone have a teenager daughter that is autistic?

“Pay attention, boy!”

Since: Jun 07

Auburn Hills, MI

#5 Jul 10, 2007
Gail wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, yes it is she that has the pms not I. She is 16 years old and can't control her emotions when this time comes up. I've been logging it for some time now and notice a total change in her. Does anyone have a teenager daughter that is autistic?
Has she seen a doctor about this? Women of all ages can have mood swings and be over emotional around their period. There are treatments available.

P.S. I'm not a doctor, just a woman who has been there!
Deb

Dudley, UK

#6 Jul 10, 2007
I have a 14 year old daughter who is autistic who also struggles with PMS ,we could find no advice on the subject either ,we have spoken to her Paed but he is reluctant to place her on the contraceptive pill ,but her mood swings are getting worse one minute sobbing next minute okay next minute in a total rage but i will be going back to her Paed and demanding her try something no one can live with her when she is that way ans seeing as her PMS starts about 2 weeks before her actual period life is getting increasingly difficult
Gail

United States

#7 Jul 11, 2007
Deb wrote:
I have a 14 year old daughter who is autistic who also struggles with PMS ,we could find no advice on the subject either ,we have spoken to her Paed but he is reluctant to place her on the contraceptive pill ,but her mood swings are getting worse one minute sobbing next minute okay next minute in a total rage but i will be going back to her Paed and demanding her try something no one can live with her when she is that way ans seeing as her PMS starts about 2 weeks before her actual period life is getting increasingly difficult
I just see her struggling with her emotions. She cannot express what she is feeling so this makes it so difficult to guess. I know there is something out there but I too haven't found it. She is being re-evaluated soon and if I learn anything, I will be sure to let you know.
Cheryl Vernon

Pensacola, FL

#8 Jul 12, 2007
My daughter is moderate autistic and started her period at 10 which she handled very well because I prepared her. Last year she started having PMS with her period at 13 and started her on Depo shot every 3 months...worked along with 20mg prozac no more crying and tantrums with period... I am impressed and she feels alot better... and no period..hers was really heavy
Gail

United States

#9 Jul 12, 2007
Cheryl Vernon wrote:
My daughter is moderate autistic and started her period at 10 which she handled very well because I prepared her. Last year she started having PMS with her period at 13 and started her on Depo shot every 3 months...worked along with 20mg prozac no more crying and tantrums with period... I am impressed and she feels alot better... and no period..hers was really heavy
I'm not sure I want her on prozac at such a young age. There has to be a natural vitamin to contain PMS and I am still researching this. As for the depo shot....way too may side affects. If a young child is not having her period, I'm not sure how healthy that will be in the long run. Nowadays, doctors immediately feel that an anti-depressent is the way to go for most neurological ailments. Although they do work in different ways as blockers to pain and emotions, it is not always the answer. I am willing to keep researching the possibilities of other options. We can't always medicate our children for the sake of a peace of mind. She is already on medicine for ADHD and high cholesterol.

“Pay attention, boy!”

Since: Jun 07

Auburn Hills, MI

#10 Jul 13, 2007
Gail wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure I want her on prozac at such a young age. There has to be a natural vitamin to contain PMS and I am still researching this. As for the depo shot....way too may side affects. If a young child is not having her period, I'm not sure how healthy that will be in the long run. Nowadays, doctors immediately feel that an anti-depressent is the way to go for most neurological ailments. Although they do work in different ways as blockers to pain and emotions, it is not always the answer. I am willing to keep researching the possibilities of other options. We can't always medicate our children for the sake of a peace of mind. She is already on medicine for ADHD and high cholesterol.
Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what to do. It sounds like she is suffering, can't you just do what's good for her, right now?
Gail

Menlo Park, CA

#11 Jul 18, 2007
All I know how to do is love this child!!!!
She is my gift. I came into her life about 8 months ago when I started seeing her father. There isn't a lot this child needs other than attention and love. Her mother isn't the best at affection so I have become very important to her. One of these days, I will be in her life permanently. I am just learning all about autism on the fly but seem to be handling it very well.
empo

Shippensburg, PA

#12 Nov 12, 2012
Hi,
I know this is an old thread, but if her PMS symptoms are severe, she might actually have PMDD. I am autistic and have very bad depression, irritability, and other symptoms before my period - always have, but it has gotten worse as I have gotten older. I lose all of my energy, can't get myself to do anything, everything seems hopeless and sad and just horrible. I can't focus on anything, can't plan anything, can't make a grocery list, etc. I cry about everything and my autism symptoms become impossible to manage - slight changes that I could usually handle by now (even if I have to talk myself through them) will make me run upstairs to my room and crawl in bed and stay there for the whole day because I can't deal with them.
If anyone else found this thread because they were looking for information on autism and PMS/PMDD (like I did), if your daughter's symptoms are severe (or if you are the autistic one and they're your symptoms),*please* look up information on PMDD and see if that fits. It's like PMS times a million...it interferes with everything, and more importantly, it's so horrible for the person going through it (as hard as it is to be around that person, it's harder to *be* that person). And it's not something that can be willed away, meditated away, self-talked away, etc. It's a biological thing, and it doesn't get fixed with "trying harder."
One of my doctors said she has it and her doctor prescribed one of the three SSRIs that is approved to treat it, and she only takes it during the time of the month that she needs it to reduce her symptoms, so I am going to see if that works for me, too. I usually don't want to be on any medication, but this last month was so bad that I just want these symptoms gone, even if that means taking a pill. Autism is hard enough, so if you think your daughter might have PMDD as well, definitely talk to her doctors (or have her talk to them if she is able to) and see if they can help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Q: Are Vaccines Safe? Nov 18 VACCINES MAIM KILL 1
News Vaccines, Worse Than Opioids - Section #13, CDC... Nov 18 VACCINES MAIM KILL 1
News Autistic child denied transfer to Tishomingo Co... (Mar '09) Nov 13 WhatYouSaid22 17
News Dr. Paul Offit's aluminum deceptions and academ... Nov 10 WAKEFIELD FRAMED 1
News Students face felony for bullying boy with autism (Sep '10) Nov 3 Kalon 251
News Should we be vaccinating our children? Oct 30 VACCINES CAUSE AU... 13
News Why Does Autism Impact Boys More Often Than Girls? Oct 25 VACCINES CAUSE AU... 1
More from around the web