Are childhood vaccines safe?

Are childhood vaccines safe?

There are 38 comments on the canada.com story from Mar 15, 2013, titled Are childhood vaccines safe?. In it, canada.com reports that:

While health officials tout studies showing no link between thimerosal and autism, critics allege that thimerosal, a mercury-based preservative that is used to prevent bacteria growth in some multi-dose vials of vaccine, dramatically raises the risk of autism, a little understood mental health disorder that limits a person's ability to interact ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at canada.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ray

Candiac, Canada

#23 Mar 17, 2013
friend wrote:
You have two 'bozo's' trying to link this one vaccine to all vaccines (as they always do) even though the majority who had that one vaccine did not end up with narcolepsy and those that did, all carried the narcolepsy gene. 25 percent of European decent carries the gene, which explains why of the 30 million doses given, 800 had narcolepsy. They carried the gene, they're not a victim. They would have had narcolepsy eventually with or without the one vaccine.
If this has anything to do with the 'vaccine autism connection', it's the genetic predisposition. Thanks for pointing that out. It's a mighty thing to admit for an anti vaxxer.
Get your facts straight, first you said 8 cases and then jumped to 800 cases. Hope you could do that to your brain cells if any.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#24 Mar 17, 2013
Thanks for repeating my comment. And I already said the 8 was a typo, as if you've never had any sticky keys. The typo is besides the facts. 8 or 800, all tested carried the narcolepsy gene. Also, the girl in the article had symptom's month later, so who even knows of that case what the trigger was.
I wont go as low as saying you are dumb, however you are lacking evidence for your claims. Anyone can search and see all who had narcolepsy had the gene. The vaccine wasn't the cause. It was the trigger, and even then there's no sure evidence of the vaccine being the trigger and no GSK admitted a thing as you claimed.
Vaccines Triggered

Winnipeg, Canada

#25 Mar 17, 2013
friend wrote:
Thanks for repeating my comment. And I already said the 8 was a typo, as if you've never had any sticky keys. The typo is besides the facts. 8 or 800, all tested carried the narcolepsy gene. Also, the girl in the article had symptom's month later, so who even knows of that case what the trigger was.
I wont go as low as saying you are dumb, however you are lacking evidence for your claims. Anyone can search and see all who had narcolepsy had the gene. The vaccine wasn't the cause. It was the trigger, and even then there's no sure evidence of the vaccine being the trigger and no GSK admitted a thing as you claimed.
And 3 links that claim its true are wrong because you say so? Buh Wah Ha Ha...nice try being smart.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#26 Mar 17, 2013
Tons of web links that state they all had the narcolepsy gene. 'Buh Wah Ha Ha...nice try being smart' more like denial, blame and attempting to make it more than what it actually is. But then that's expected of anti vaxxers.
H1N1 Narcolepsy

Winnipeg, Canada

#27 Mar 18, 2013
friend wrote:
Tons of web links that state they all had the narcolepsy gene.'Buh Wah Ha Ha...nice try being smart' more like denial, blame and attempting to make it more than what it actually is. But then that's expected of anti vaxxers.
If vaccine trigger narcolepsy in those with this gene, that's the cause of it Einstein.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#28 Mar 18, 2013
The gene is the cause, hello! Without the gene they'd never acquire narcolepsy,'Einstein'.
Vaccines Cause Narcolepsy

Winnipeg, Canada

#29 Mar 18, 2013
friend wrote:
The gene is the cause, hello! Without the gene they'd never acquire narcolepsy,'Einstein'.
DUH Einstein no trigger NO NARCOLEPSY.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#30 Mar 18, 2013
Wrong again. So far there is no evidence the vaccine triggered it, however, there are many triggers. Influenza infection itself is a trigger. All that acquired narcolepsy were at high risk of it manifesting, vaccine or no vaccine, solely due to having the gene. Onset for narcolepsy is the ages of those as well. "duh".

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#33 Mar 19, 2013
Nice language. Typical anti vaxxer behavior. Don't like the facts, just name-call and swear.
I could care less who get's the flu vaccine, pal. I haven't promoted it in the least. That's not even the issue. The issue is what caused narcolepsy after that vaccine, after 30 million doses were given, why only a fraction ended up with narcolepsy. Shows how much you know about scientific findings. Of course the gene isn't called
"narcolepsy". Hello. Would you like to know the actual name of the gene?? But 25 percent of European decent carries the gene. Wouldn't had matter if they tested for the gene prior to vaccination, either. Contracting the influenza infection itself is a trigger for those who have the gene. Don't get the flu vaccine does not prevent the onset of narcolepsy. The statistical rates of narcolepsy also surpasses the amount of flu vaccines given in any year. You have no evidence that the European formula has a adjuvant that overwhelms the immune system. The biggest flaw you have is that narcolepsy is not an immune disorder. Hello.

Nice try. Next time come back when you have some thing plausible
frienDUH

Winnipeg, Canada

#34 Mar 19, 2013
friend wrote:
Nice language. Typical anti vaxxer behavior. Don't like the facts, just name-call and swear.
I could care less who get's the flu vaccine, pal. I haven't promoted it in the least. That's not even the issue. The issue is what caused narcolepsy after that vaccine, after 30 million doses were given, why only a fraction ended up with narcolepsy. Shows how much you know about scientific findings. Of course the gene isn't called
"narcolepsy". Hello. Would you like to know the actual name of the gene?? But 25 percent of European decent carries the gene. Wouldn't had matter if they tested for the gene prior to vaccination, either. Contracting the influenza infection itself is a trigger for those who have the gene. Don't get the flu vaccine does not prevent the onset of narcolepsy. The statistical rates of narcolepsy also surpasses the amount of flu vaccines given in any year. You have no evidence that the European formula has a adjuvant that overwhelms the immune system. The biggest flaw you have is that narcolepsy is not an immune disorder. Hello.
Nice try. Next time come back when you have some thing plausible
DUH. Testing for a problematic gene is where science must go. Now that they are labelling a gene for this and that, its time to categories what illness may be connected to it. Since it has been accepted that a Euro-vaccine actually caused narcolepsy, these children and all with that gene should NEVER be exposed to that formulation EVER. And about evidence, you have no idea what the word means. Here's a study confirming it and you still spew bee ess about anti-vaxxers. What a clown.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#35 Mar 19, 2013
It has not been accepted that the GSK vaccine actually caused narcolepsy. What the link stated from Ray was a soon-to-be-published study in Britain have told Reuters it will show a similar pattern in children there. A pattern is not cause. So it's only your wishful thinking there's anything to confirm a thing. The link also refers to 'the trigger' and 'genetic predisposition'.

You can try to make it into anything you want. You have no evidence. The flu vaccine is an optional vaccine on the childhood schedules anyway. This article doesn't even mention the flu vaccine and anti vaxxers bringing up the H1N1 vaccine of 2009/10 is a lame attempt to link it to all vaccines. It's off topic. Narcolepsy runs in families. Hello. Any parent can have genetic testing done if they choose to. I did with my child. Parents have to sign to have their child given vaccines, so you go tell them they never should had given the flu vaccine to their kids and how could they not know they didn't have that gene. As if GSK would know.
friend is DUMB

Winnipeg, Canada

#36 Mar 19, 2013
friend wrote:
It has not been accepted that the GSK vaccine actually caused narcolepsy. What the link stated from Ray was a soon-to-be-published study in Britain have told Reuters it will show a similar pattern in children there. A pattern is not cause. So it's only your wishful thinking there's anything to confirm a thing. The link also refers to 'the trigger' and 'genetic predisposition'.
You can try to make it into anything you want. You have no evidence. The flu vaccine is an optional vaccine on the childhood schedules anyway. This article doesn't even mention the flu vaccine and anti vaxxers bringing up the H1N1 vaccine of 2009/10 is a lame attempt to link it to all vaccines. It's off topic. Narcolepsy runs in families. Hello. Any parent can have genetic testing done if they choose to. I did with my child. Parents have to sign to have their child given vaccines, so you go tell them they never should had given the flu vaccine to their kids and how could they not know they didn't have that gene. As if GSK would know.
Who cares if its optional? If its faulty it can't be used. It shouldn't be given to anyone who has this gene you say they have. How bout some common sense moron?

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#37 Mar 19, 2013
The vaccine wasn't faulty for 29 million and no vaccine maker is going to know 30 million individual medical histories. How about some common sense. The true problem, if there even is one, is the doctors who didn't recognized narcolepsy or a family history of it. You know 150k go undiagnosed. Narcolepsy is often mistaken for depression, epilepsy, or the side effects of medications. It can also be mistaken for poor sleeping habits, recreational drug use, or laziness. Funny how if they didn't detect the gene (as many medical agencies have stated they had) that any of those 800 were correctly diagnosed with narcolepsy. Common sense.
I guess GSK should of had a crystal ball.
Vaccines Cause Autism

Winnipeg, Canada

#38 Mar 19, 2013
friend wrote:
The vaccine wasn't faulty for 29 million and no vaccine maker is going to know 30 million individual medical histories. How about some common sense. The true problem, if there even is one, is the doctors who didn't recognized narcolepsy or a family history of it. You know 150k go undiagnosed. Narcolepsy is often mistaken for depression, epilepsy, or the side effects of medications. It can also be mistaken for poor sleeping habits, recreational drug use, or laziness. Funny how if they didn't detect the gene (as many medical agencies have stated they had) that any of those 800 were correctly diagnosed with narcolepsy. Common sense.
I guess GSK should of had a crystal ball.
Big surprise the Pharma Troll cares little about the victimization of children.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#39 Mar 19, 2013
Big surprise, more name calling from the anti vaxxer. But your name calling changes nothing, except everyone's opinion of you.
Vaccine Roulette

Winnipeg, Canada

#40 Mar 19, 2013
Ray wrote:
<quoted text>
Get your facts straight, first you said 8 cases and then jumped to 800 cases. Hope you could do that to your brain cells if any.
friend of Pharma has no facts in fact she's facted in the facting head.
ric99

Gainsborough, UK

#42 Mar 20, 2013
Vaccine Roulette wrote:
<quoted text> friend of Pharma has no facts in fact she's facted in the facting head.
Talking about facts, where are your peer reviewed studies showing that vaccines cause autism. Oh dear, you can't find any can you.
1 in 50 USA

Winnipeg, Canada

#43 Mar 20, 2013
ric99 wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking about facts, where are your peer reviewed studies showing that vaccines cause autism. Oh dear, you can't find any can you.
1 in 50 USA. Must be that bad in the UK. If you have children or grandchildren better brace yourself, autism is coming to your family quite soon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vaccine Didn't Cause Girl's 'Autism-Like' Illness 3 hr friend 13
News What happens when a vaccine actually does somet... 6 hr friend 20
Looking for Similar Mothers of children w/ Auti... (Jul '08) Mon NoahsMom 118
News 'Anti-vaccine' course stirs student outcry at U... Mon friend 2
News Researchers seek clues to autism's causes, trea... Sun Friend 2
News Ups and downs of Asperger's Syndrome for Colora... Jul 25 Elise 1
News Study finds autism, ADHD run high in children o... Jul 25 YAWN TRASH SCIENCE 7
More from around the web