Autism: No Mechanism Has Been Demonst...

Autism: No Mechanism Has Been Demonstrated

Posted in the Autism Forum

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#1 Jul 3, 2013
My entire life has been ruined by the spread of autism awareness. Long story short; I was treated with severe inequality in education just because my speech was odd, and it made people think "Oh he has autism". I was stuck in special education, and despite outperforming even the students in normal classes, was still kept in with mentally challenged kids. At this point I don't think autism even exists.

Here is my video explaining somet things. Yes, it's "ignorant" saying something scientists agree exists doesn't exist, but give discredit where discredit is due. My life is in shambles over a diagnosis that fails to describe a neurological disability; I have zero impairments aside from speech.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#2 Jul 3, 2013
Interesting video, especially at the end.
The abnormalities in people with autism does not prove there is no mechanism can be demonstrated. How it is, is there's abnormalities that are real (for some), but the cause for them are yet to be known. But not all with autism ever show they have abnormalities in the brain and that's not even how autism is diagnosed.
Because there is no known cause, that does not mean autism is not real.

I am sorry how your public education went, but that is not the norm for most. I don't know how old you are or when you went to school, however in the USA the least restrictive environment (LRE) requirements of Part B of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) have been included in the law in their present form since 1975. If you were solely stuck in special ed, then someone wasn't advocating well for you.

Also, an autism diagnosis (severe or high functioning) consists more than impairments of speech. You may very well have been misdiagnosed, however children like mine do have autism (the only speech impairment he has is monotone), and he's not in any special ed classes. He's in inclusion.

As much as you have your opinion as to how 'autism awareness ruined your life', you must also consider the damage you do with your opinion of autism not being real and it's affect on others. And the reality of autism has very little to do with the treatment within public education. Many students are treated poorly no matter what their disability is.

Location hidden

#5 Jul 3, 2013
@ Poster #1
I am 21 at this point. And I was aware of the damage it can cause by saying autism doesn't exist, I just don't think that people are aware of the damage it causes by saying it does exist. My case is rare, bit it was atrocious. Unless the diagnosis criteria is trimmed up to prevent future misdiagnosis, more cases like mine will occur.

@ Poster #2
That's like trying to convert an atheist by saying a bible verse. In contrast to the first response poster, your post is awful.

Location hidden

#7 Jul 3, 2013
Not knowing the age/ year which you were diagnosed (which DSM was used) there had to be more than just a speech impairment. DSM III had six characteristics listed and each of these six symptoms must be present in order for an individual to be diagnosed with infantile autism. DSM IV besides the inclusion of four new subtypes, drastic changes were made to the criteria that needed to be met in order to receive a diagnosis of autistic disorder.

A misdiagnosis more results due to the one who gave the diagnosis than the DSM itself. It was a grueling all day event for my sons diagnosis, and many age developmental tests. There are plenty of doctors out there who will diagnosis upon sight and it takes a mere 20 minute office visit, as per the parental account of Jenny McCarthy of Dr. Sears of CA.

The idea of damage done either if autism exists or doesn't wouldn't matter. No matter what disability a person may have, society doesn't really care nor is educated. Example is my child. He clearly has something. It wouldn't matter what it was called, there will always be some he doesn't get it nor wants to get it. Removing a single diagnosis is never going to change that people do have it, or change how they are treated unless educating and awareness continues and no amount of awareness and education will change an anti vaxxer who assumed the cause of your autism. Back in the 1950's, you and my child would never had been allowed in public schools. Now of your video, I really could not hear any speech impairment and you actually spoke very well and was easy to listen to. It's sad what happened to you in public school, but you really should direct this towards the one who gave you the diagnosis than the diagnosis itself.

And one last thing, genetics have been proven as a mechanism, it just doesn't include all at this time who have autism.

Location hidden

#8 Jul 3, 2013
friend wrote:
Not knowing the age/ year which you were diagnosed (which DSM was used) there had to be more than just a speech impairment. DSM III had six characteristics listed and each of these six symptoms must be present in order for an individual to be diagnosed with infantile autism. DSM IV besides the inclusion of four new subtypes, drastic changes were made to the criteria that needed to be met in order to receive a diagnosis of autistic disorder.
A misdiagnosis more results due to the one who gave the diagnosis than the DSM itself. It was a grueling all day event for my sons diagnosis, and many age developmental tests. There are plenty of doctors out there who will diagnosis upon sight and it takes a mere 20 minute office visit, as per the parental account of Jenny McCarthy of Dr. Sears of CA.
The idea of damage done either if autism exists or doesn't wouldn't matter. No matter what disability a person may have, society doesn't really care nor is educated. Example is my child. He clearly has something. It wouldn't matter what it was called, there will always be some he doesn't get it nor wants to get it. Removing a single diagnosis is never going to change that people do have it, or change how they are treated unless educating and awareness continues and no amount of awareness and education will change an anti vaxxer who assumed the cause of your autism. Back in the 1950's, you and my child would never had been allowed in public schools. Now of your video, I really could not hear any speech impairment and you actually spoke very well and was easy to listen to. It's sad what happened to you in public school, but you really should direct this towards the one who gave you the diagnosis than the diagnosis itself.
And one last thing, genetics have been proven as a mechanism, it just doesn't include all at this time who have autism.
I agree that it matters more whether one has needs/impairments than what they're called. The truth was that I wasn't officially diagnosed young, I was just speculated to have been autistic by the elementary school staff. They certainly did screw up royally by never properly assessing me; they also gave me tests to see where I stood skill-wise in comparison to other students my age and I dominated. The whole thing looked like they were grasping for straws, saying "he just had to have something" and that at the first sign they were willing to segregate me from normal education. Correct me if I'm wrong, but autism doesn't always define someone who has a disability. Instead of autism being based off needs, it was based off of traits, hence my issues. Again, it could've just been terrible staff and not indicative of autism as a improper diagnosis altogether.

When it came to my official diagnosis at a later age, I displayed only 1 trait of autism(odd speech) but my evaluators ignored this. The evaluations seemed as if they were trying to find anything at all wrong with me, these people were not very skilled at their profession. I would prefer if, even if someone had all the traits of autism, to never be diagnosed if they have no needs or impairments, that's where I'm getting at.

Location hidden

#9 Jul 3, 2013
Vaccines Cause Autism wrote:
<quoted text>Just what we need another poster who doesn't know what the phuch he's talkin bout.
Oh look a poster who prefers replying with a "hey u suxx" comment because he didn't agree with what I said. If you say nothing insightful then how am I supposed to know I'm wrong?

Location hidden

#10 Jul 3, 2013
Autism in itself is considered a disability. It's an individual thing as to how debilitating it is for each person. My son may be more affected than you, for instance and he always may be. As for the criteria, some of it may be considered traits, like repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, but much of it is considered and listed as impariments on th DSM IV. A person with COD may have traits, yet it depends on how much of it would debilitate daily living.

It is quite sad your description of school but at the same time, CA doesn't surprise me. They have regional centers and what a mess it's been. What's also sad is my son was held back by me from starting school, even still academically he's behind his peers by 2 years but he's still in classes with general ed students. They just modify his work to his current academic level. Now he is visibly 'different' and there's no hiding that so he doesn't always have peers who are nice to him. They should had allowed you in those inclusion classes too. That said, I think you're misdirecting your efforts. Autism wasn't the problem you had, even if you have autism. It was a poor school system and maybe even poorer 'professionals' that gave that diagnosis. I would have no idea if you'd have autism or not. I only know what the criteria was and is and for some of those 'traits', many people have some of them but do not have autism. May I ask what the extent of your speech impairment is? You have a good speaking voice, at least in front of your own camera.

As for Winnipeg Canada, if you're not 'vaccine injured', or agree that vaccines cause autism, he'll then be rude and attack you. In his world, adults like you cant exists while a parent like me know they do. Just ignore him.

Location hidden

#11 Jul 4, 2013
Well my speech used to be a bit worse but it got better with age.

I think your post has satisfied me enough. It feels good knowing the diagnosis has been properly used with others.

Location hidden

#12 Jul 4, 2013
My son was non verbal until about the age of 5 and when he started talking, he had a horrible stutter. With the help of good speech therapists and his hard work, he lost the stutter at about age 10. He still has delays and issues with expressive and receptive language, plus he is a severe literal thinker. That literal thinking does interfere with academics and daily living.

Maybe you could focus your energy on educational laws and advocating to prevent what happened to you happening to others. You probably shouldn't had been in all self contained classes, and they failed if they never transitioned you to inclusion. The good thing is, I'd think you'd be out of school and you can just put all that behind you and move forward. I wish you the best.
ric99

Lincoln, UK

#14 Jul 6, 2013
To the Winnipeg dummy, 'truth and reality' means conspiracy theories with no scientific evidence to back them up.
Ray

Sherbrooke, Canada

#15 Jul 6, 2013
there is no mechanism because the research is made that way for more confusion. autism has a few subtypes, and of different causes. when a research is performed all autism is pooled in it so no real data and cause and mechanism can be determined.
I am not against vaccination but the only thing which is solid and constant is parents reporting of regressive autism after vaccination and antibiotic use.
dont forget the pharma like GSK have big pockets and are in news organization. Add to that that they pay and train the future researchers and doctorrs, you have a genocide of autism on normal families.
ric99

Lincoln, UK

#16 Jul 6, 2013
Brossard Ray would have a valid point if rates of any type of autism were higher among vaccinated kids than among unvaccinated kids. However, this is not the case, as a study published by the New England Journal of Medicine (which I have referred to many times) was a study of 537,303 children, of whom 440,655 (82.0 percent) had received the MMR vaccine. The percentage of vaccinated kids diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorders was compared with the percentage of unvaccinated kids diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorders. It was found that ASD diagnoses among vaccinated kids were actually 8% LOWER than among unvaccinated kids.

Just because the average age of autism diagnosis happens to be just a bit older than kids receive vaccinations (such as MMR), it does not mean that vaccinations caused the autism. You might as well say that autism is usually diagnosed shortly after breast-feeding ends, so therefore autism is caused by switching to baby formula and solid foods. Neither theory is scientifically logical.
ric99

Grimsby, UK

#18 Jul 7, 2013
Where is the scientific evidence that the New England Journal of Medicine published study is "bad"? The Winnipeg dummy has none.

Where are the "many studies" showing that autism rates among vaccinated kids are higher than among unvaccinated kids? There are none.

All that the Winnipeg dummy has is insults.
UK LUZZER Patrol

Winnipeg, Canada

#21 Jul 7, 2013
ric99 wrote:
Where is the scientific evidence that the New England Journal of Medicine published study is "bad"? The Winnipeg dummy has none.
Where are the "many studies" showing that autism rates among vaccinated kids are higher than among unvaccinated kids? There are none.
All that the Winnipeg dummy has is insults.
Here's one of those luzzers now.
ric99

Grimsby, UK

#22 Jul 8, 2013
Anyone reading the Winnipeg dummy's response to my questions will see that he has no scientific evidence, only insults.
friend says DUH

Winnipeg, Canada

#24 Jul 16, 2013
ric99 wrote:
Anyone reading the Winnipeg dummy's response to my questions will see that he has no scientific evidence, only insults.
Look kids, a UK luzzer

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Talk looks at history of autism Feb 17 Old Lamp Lighter 7
News Baby brain scans may reveal autism risk: study Feb 17 Wakefield was RIGHT 1
News Actor joins Robert Kennedy Jr. on panel discuss... Feb 17 Wakefield was RIGHT 1
News Aluminum, Fluoride and Glyphosate - A Toxic Tri... Feb 13 SUPPORTS WAKEFIEL... 1
Looking for Similar Mothers of children w/ Auti... (Jul '08) Feb 9 Amber 125
News Should we treat anti-vaxxers with more respect? Feb 8 freedomOFchoice 1
News Hundreds Of Health Groups Plead With Trump To L... Feb 8 freedomOFchoice 1
More from around the web