Is hand flapping always linked to autism?

Posted in the Autism Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of22
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Susan

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2007

My husband and I are very concerned about our 2 year old. She has always had this "gesture" she does with her hands when she is excited and I think that it's hand flapping. She holds her hands up to ear/eye level when excited and then her left hand is in a fist and her right hand appears "cupped" and flaps up and down. Usually her mouth opens into an "O" shape while she does this. She's affectionate for the most part, has no problem with changes in routine and seems to play with toys appropriately. On the other hand, she doesn't use 2-3 words together unless she's repeating them, doesn't seem interested in playing with others unless it involves something stimulating to her (e.g., running around, dancing, etc.) and for the most part does not follow directions. We're concerned that she may have autism. We're getting her evaluated but I was interested in your opinions as well.
Aspie Mom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2007

Susan wrote:
My husband and I are very concerned about our 2 year old. She has always had this "gesture" she does with her hands when she is excited and I think that it's hand flapping. She holds her hands up to ear/eye level when excited and then her left hand is in a fist and her right hand appears "cupped" and flaps up and down. Usually her mouth opens into an "O" shape while she does this. She's affectionate for the most part, has no problem with changes in routine and seems to play with toys appropriately. On the other hand, she doesn't use 2-3 words together unless she's repeating them, doesn't seem interested in playing with others unless it involves something stimulating to her (e.g., running around, dancing, etc.) and for the most part does not follow directions. We're concerned that she may have autism. We're getting her evaluated but I was interested in your opinions as well.
My son flaps his hands and he has Asperger's. It is best to get her evaluated by someone who specializes in the area of Autism.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2007

Judged:

My son never hand flapped but still has autism. He has a cousin and when she was younger, did this when she was excitied, all the time. She doesn't have any form of autism. Most stimming behaviors are thought to help the child with autism calm themselves.

There are other medical conditions that can also cause such behaviors, along with the lack of longer sentences and sensory issues. Finding a good Peds. neurologist besides an autism evaultion would be a good idea. It could be autism, it could be something else.
Good Luck
Happybaby

Farmingdale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2011

My daughter will be 19 months and she also flaps her arms in excitement of a tv show. She says words points to pictures when asked to. She tries to feed my newborn. She tries to help with cleaning. She ignores me sometimes. That could get frustrating. I think if you give some time they will catch up. Every child develops at their own pace. They also have different personalities to consider as well.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2011

Judged:

What horrible off topic things to say, to anyone. It was neither productive nor helpful.
Smokersreak

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2011

Judged:

friend wrote:
What horrible off topic things to say, to anyone. It was neither productive nor helpful.
Its realistic, and a warning for these parents to pay attention to the vaccine autism connection. Too many parents believe the lies and their children end up like mine, unable to function and a seizure disorder. These people might have a chance to save their child if they open their eyes NOW! I would call that heplful and hopefully productive. I know you don't care about vaccine injured children, but I do.
Joe Krupinski vs FBomb

Glen Head, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2011

Judged:

Hey, I see you have what you could call a colleague, unless Smokersreak is an alias for YOU, ABombastic. Which is entirely possible, judging from the way you try to hornswaggle people into what you think. Did you ever try civil, honest conversation with these folk who are in the same boat as you? It just might work. But this bullying, overly authoritative stance you maintain is offensive and a virtual turnoff to the dedicated parents and doctors who are forced by the open text to listen to your drivel. By the way, did you HEAR that there is a new sheriff in town?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2011

Judged:

Pay attention to location. It is Winnipeg, Canada playing the game of changing his written name, which he does all the time. This is why I refer to him as Winnipeg, Canada.
Dopey-Joe

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2011

Judged:

I'm the new sheriff in town, blah blah, I'm going to puke, blah blah.
Joe Krupinski v FBomb

Glen Head, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2011

Judged:

FBOMBER wrote:
<quoted text>
Those doctors won't help. They'll recommend meds and tell you to keep vaccinating. Your child is doomed.
Who the hell do you think you are, FBomb, telling not one but two mothers that their child is doomed if they vaccinate. The word doomed is enough to categorize you as a psycho, sociopath and/or nutjob who is incapable of giving anybody any advice at all. How dare you scare people with your doomsday revelations. How dare you use your own freaky agenda to put doubts in the minds of concerned parents. You are one, so worry about your own child without impinging on others' handling of their family situations. Hope a rabid raccoon bites you in the butt, which is what you deserve, lady.
Winnipeg Canada

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2011

Judged:

Another round of rants from non-contributing friend of you know who and dopey you know who.
Frankie

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

FBOMBER wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like the next round of vaccines will put her into an autism she'll suffer from for life.
This comment is beyond irresponsible. Are you a doctor? There is NO credible link between Autism and vaccines. You should keep your opinions to yourself unless they are informed by the medical profession.
VACCINE NIGHTMARES

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Frankie wrote:
<quoted text>
This comment is beyond irresponsible. Are you a doctor? There is NO credible link between Autism and vaccines. You should keep your opinions to yourself unless they are informed by the medical profession.
Do some research fool. Vaccines maim and kill.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Cars and planes and trains maim and kill. Over the counter products maim and kill. What Winnipeg, Canada can never explain with evidence why millions who have used cars, planes, trains, over the counter products and vaccines are not maimed or dead.
ric99

Scunthorpe, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Also, what the Winnipeg dummy conveniently forgets is that NOT vaccinating can maim and kill.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2013

Judged:

That's is true. 10 infants too young for being fully vaccinated for pertussis died from others sharing their germs who were not vaccinated. There have been 118,794 Vaccine Preventable Illnesses, 1,171 Vaccine Preventable Deaths and 0 Autism Diagnoses Scientifically Linked to Vaccines from June 3, 2007 to July 13, 2013.
Vaccine Caused

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

friend wrote:
That's is true. 10 infants too young for being fully vaccinated for pertussis died from others sharing their germs who were not vaccinated. There have been 118,794 Vaccine Preventable Illnesses, 1,171 Vaccine Preventable Deaths and 0 Autism Diagnoses Scientifically Linked to Vaccines from June 3, 2007 to July 13, 2013.
STOOL sample
ric99

Horncastle, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

The Winnipeg dummy is so dim, that he can't even read or understand what I said in my last post. I said:-

NOT vaccinating CAN maim or kill.

Which of these simple words is too difficult for him to understand.
Vaccines Cause Autism

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Joe Krupinski v FBomb wrote:
<quoted text>
Who the hell do you think you are, FBomb, telling not one but two mothers that their child is doomed if they vaccinate. The word doomed is enough to categorize you as a psycho, sociopath and/or nutjob who is incapable of giving anybody any advice at all. How dare you scare people with your doomsday revelations. How dare you use your own freaky agenda to put doubts in the minds of concerned parents. You are one, so worry about your own child without impinging on others' handling of their family situations. Hope a rabid raccoon bites you in the butt, which is what you deserve, lady.
I wish Krapinski would come back. That yokel was fun even if he was dumb as a bag of carrots.

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

friend wrote:
My son never hand flapped but still has autism. He has a cousin and when she was younger, did this when she was excitied, all the time. She doesn't have any form of autism. Most stimming behaviors are thought to help the child with autism calm themselves.
There are other medical conditions that can also cause such behaviors, along with the lack of longer sentences and sensory issues. Finding a good Peds. neurologist besides an autism evaultion would be a good idea. It could be autism, it could be something else.
Good Luck
Sometimes stimming can occur when the person is doing some very intense thinking.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of22
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Autism Discussions

Search the Autism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Mother of autistic son ready to help others fac... 7 hr VACCINES R DANGEROUS 1
Peter Ventre, an abusive psychiatrist testing d... 10 hr Remember FLH 1
Strong Genetic Influences on Autistic Traits 16 hr MMR DANGEROUS 14
Let Freedom Ring 16 hr MMR DANGEROUS 3
CDC Caught Hiding Data Showing Mercury In Vacci... 16 hr MMR DANGEROUS 3
Rosemount man's autism site offers insights to ... (Nov '08) 16 hr MMR DANGEROUS 16
This week in health: Mandatory vaccines, brutal... 16 hr MMR DANGEROUS 4
•••
•••
•••
•••