Trial Date for Celebrex Suit Set for June

Full story: Baltimore Sun

A judge set a June 6 trial date for a lawsuit filed by a woman who claims the arthritis medication Celebrex was to blame for a stroke she suffered last year.
Comments
1 - 20 of 57 Comments Last updated Aug 15, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Diane Bell

Toronto, Canada

#1 Mar 6, 2006
How many suits have been filed against Celebrex and its company?
DENISE N- MISSOURI

United States

#2 Mar 7, 2006
I HAVE USED CELEBREX SINCE 1999 WITH NO PROBLEMS BUT NOW I'M HEARING OF NEW STUDIES THAT SHOW I AM 2X'S AS LIKELY TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK...THERE ARE SOME CARDIAC PROBLEMS IN MY FAMILY HISTORY BUT NOT SIGNIFICANT. SHOULD I BE WORRIED? I STOPPED TAKING CELEBREX LAST WEEK & EVEN WITH TYLENOL EXTRA STRENGTH I HAVE PAIN. SOME PEOPLE SWEAR BY OTC SUPPLEMENTS...ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Jennifer Brown CA

AOL

#3 Apr 2, 2006
My mom suffered a major stroke and was given a less the 1% change to survive. As I did more and more studies on her medication I am finding that Celebrex may have been the cause of this. Please anyone reading this get the information and research the studies
Shannan Louisiana

New Orleans, LA

#4 Apr 17, 2006
I am a bit confused on the product as of yet, it works very wonderfully for me and i am 33.

I have seen some with great health besides having RA that went bad using these items, but have also seen many old people who have already had problems try and blame this drug for them already being in bad shape. I makes me wonder who was already on their way and who wasn't.

My husbands family seems wonderfully health and then "boom" stroke and it isn't because of pills. They are over 70 and once you get to that age, your body does decide to take a turn, usually for the worst.

They need more research on people of all ages using this drug.
Lee Wright

Vardaman, MS

#5 Apr 23, 2006
Shannan Louisiana wrote:
I am a bit confused on the product as of yet, it works very wonderfully for me and i am 33.

I have seen some with great health besides having RA that went bad using these items, but have also seen many old people who have already had problems try and blame this drug for them already being in bad shape. I makes me wonder who was already on their way and who wasn't.

My husbands family seems wonderfully health and then "boom" stroke and it isn't because of pills. They are over 70 and once you get to that age, your body does decide to take a turn, usually for the worst.

They need more research on people of all ages using this drug.
My mother was in great shape, she was taking these drugs, vioxx, its been proven that it did cause her hearattack and strokes, if they would have done the research instead of trying to make a fing buck, they would have known the side affects!!!!
stroke at 27

Dover, FL

#6 Apr 23, 2006
well i was 27 and on VIOXX for 18 months, i had a major stroke. i am now blind in my left eye and my left arm is paralyzed. i have an attorney and suit have been filed. my suit is asking for $40 mill. i am now disabled in the state of florida. when i was well i was making $18.00 per hour about $45k per year.. what is my suit worth? any idea? also i had zero health problems before vioxx which i was usuing for a herniated disk in my lower back...
Shannan Louisiana

New Orleans, LA

#7 Apr 26, 2006
Lee Wright wrote:
<quoted text>My mother was in great shape, she was taking these drugs, vioxx, its been proven that it did cause her hearattack and strokes, if they would have done the research instead of trying to make a fing buck, they would have known the side affects!!!!
It may be this way for some, but not for all. I do know that with my inflammation from RA, that it causes heart problems in my 33yr old body without help from drugs and celebrex actually has lowered my heart rate to normal and allows me to breathe better.

Without it, i was told i would possibly have a heart attack as i got older and my heart was weaker.

I also know others with heart attacks that were perfectly fine and then they weren't. No drugs causing their problems.

I just want to be sure that when the drug effects someone and causes this that they have the full body research like your mom does. Too many people today want to make a quick buck by taking everyone to court and for that reason, many drugs that help some may be taken off the market.

Like with Vioxx, some it caused horrible problems too, yet i have a friend who could walk etc. on it. Once it was taken away, she can't do anything on her own anymore, it was the drug that helped.

My disease, without celebrex, doesn't allow me to even bend over and pick up something off the floor, i can go shopping with this drug.

It's a loose loose situation.

I do wish your mother well and if this did cause it, i hope she gets a nice settlemnt from the hearing as she deserves it.

The difference in celebrex and vioxx is most know using celebrex that it caused heart problems, this may be why they won't win a court hearing. Vioxx blinded their users and didn't tell them.
laura8732

Phoenix, AZ

#8 Apr 26, 2006
How has it been proven that it caused your mothers heart attack and stroke. With so many common risk factors the only way it can be proven to have definately been the cause of the heart attack is to receive a jury verdict in your mothers favor. I have disengaged over 30,000 cases from clients who "know for a fact" vioxx caused their HA and strokes. When in reality only about 6 percent of the cases warrant even mere consideration. Until a jury makes a determinative finding it is mere speculation!
Lee Wright wrote:
<quoted text>My mother was in great shape, she was taking these drugs, vioxx, its been proven that it did cause her hearattack and strokes, if they would have done the research instead of trying to make a fing buck, they would have known the side affects!!!!
Gerry Friel

UK

#9 Jun 11, 2006
I had a HA, at 43 yrs old, in July 2003, for no apparent reason other than the fact that I had been taking Celebrex for osteoarthritis for 15months previously. I was shocked, as the diagnosis was most unexpected. As soon as I was examined by the Cardiac Consultant, he took me off the drug. I complained about future pain, but he basically said use something else or have another heart attack! The 'Information for the Patient' leaflet of the time states that there was a 'very rare side effect of heart attack', i.e. 1/10,000 chance. I must have been that one!
However, most recent studies, that weren't commissioned by the drug company, state that it is just as bad as Vioxx and Bextra, which have both been taken off the market. Celebrex is the last of these three Cox II inhibitors left on the market. Perhaps when they find the 'right mix', that will not cause HA's and Strokes, they'll finally decide that this potion is too dangerous and defective, remove it from the public realm and replace it with a safer alternative that can still be of pain-relief benefit to many, many sufferers of arthritic conditions.
I now just live in dread of another HA or worse.
If you have had similar experiences with this drug, sue the swine!
(see: New Zealand study report). I live in Belfast, N.Ireland and feel totally isolated with this news.
Gerry Friel

UK

#10 Jun 11, 2006
Diane Bell wrote:
How many suits have been filed against Celebrex and its company?
see: http://vioxx.elliottback.com/vioxx-archives/2... for latest info.
Gerry F.
Shannon

New Orleans, LA

#11 Jun 13, 2006
New studies are saying celebrex is actually better than ibuprofen and naproxen. In fact, the ibuprofen and naproxen are both the same as Vioxx for how an increase of heart failure is.

Odd thing is that you have a much high rate of heart attack if you don't take celebrex.

something to think about.
Fred

Peoria, IL

#12 Jun 22, 2006
I just started taking Celabrex 3 days ago and cannot believe the relief of pain from my arthritus. I'm not going to worry about any side affects. I'm just glad to be pain free after so many years. I plan on taking it regulary.
Wanda

Winston Salem, NC

#13 Jun 22, 2006
I have used this drug in the past and I had no problems with it but I can't say that another person wouldn't. I hope they try to find better drugs that don't have as many side effects and harm other people. If you did have a love on to pass on this drug may the, LORD be with you and your family.
loveit

New Orleans, LA

#14 Jun 25, 2006
I am on celebrex for months now and love it. I have read that with the new studies that iburprofen, naproxen and not using anything at all are worse on your heart than taking celebrex.

I believe it. My inflammation is around my heart and it is gone only when i use celebrex. Mtx doesn't take it away, prednisone doesn't etc.

I hope they never take it off the market. Without it I was having heart problems and horrible complications, with it i can run a normal life and not worry about dieng in my 30s.
Gerry Friel

UK

#15 Jul 27, 2006
Gerry Friel wrote:
<quoted text>
see: http://vioxx.elliottback.com/vioxx-archives/2... for latest info.
Gerry F.
I believe there are around 11,500 cases pending, though Pfizer Inc. reckon that down to about 5,000 by the time they sort out the viable claims from the no-hopers.
The problem with the drug is weighing up the benefits against the side effects. I'm lucky! I didn't die, but my concern is for the elderly who may be dying of HA/Stroke as a result of this class of drug, but who are being categorised as having died from 'old age'. Not all, but twice as many as should be.
I stopped taking Celebrex after the HA, but recieved physiotherapy and ultrasound treatment for my shoulder pain instead. This has worked just fine. However, my heart was damaged and I have the uncertainty of not knowing whether another HA or a debilitating/fatal stroke is just around the corner as a result. G.F.
carr

AOL

#16 Jul 30, 2006
i believe my father died from celebrex use he was on it for years
Gerry F

UK

#17 Aug 7, 2006
carr wrote:
i believe my father died from celebrex use he was on it for years
Sorry for your loss. If he didn't suffer the pain, he will have had the benefits that the drug is supposed to provide. It's that you're 2.4 times more likely to have a HA, rather than destined to having one, by the drug's side-effects. This is the dilemma they're facing. It (Celebrex) works as an anti-inflamatory giving pain relief but it also has these dreadful, fatal side effects for some users.
judy

United States

#18 Sep 28, 2006
you all are touched in the head if you think celebrex wont hurt you. i was on it i wasn't taking any thing but it. and had two heart attacks and revived 9 times. i would give it to no one. and tell everyone i see to not take it. and will till its takeing off the shelves. i think it has a hurt lot of people . so keep it in mind it maybe a love one of yours next.
Terry R

Chester, MA

#19 Oct 3, 2006
I was diagnosed with RA when I was 30, I am now 42. I have been on methotexate and predisone since then. I had back surgery in 99 for a ruptured disc, now I have 2 other bulging disc and the drs have put me on vicodin for the pain for the past few years. My RA dr has determined that I now have Osteo Arthritis and has taken me off of all steroids and put me on celebrex. I am concerned, I have had chest pain in the past and my main dr has done cadiograms and have not seen a concern. I do have a minor heart murmur. Should I be concerned taking celebrex? I have not started yet because of all the problems I have heard. So I am suffering the meantime, I have an RA, Neuro and primary physicians care and they put me on different things, baclofin and antidepresent for pain management. Please help asap thank you!
Rodd Sidney

Mexico, Mexico

#20 Oct 7, 2006
Gerry Friel wrote:
I had a HA, at 43 yrs old, in July 2003, for no apparent reason other than the fact that I had been taking Celebrex for osteoarthritis for 15months previously. I was shocked, as the diagnosis was most unexpected. As soon as I was examined by the Cardiac Consultant, he took me off the drug. I complained about future pain, but he basically said use something else or have another heart attack! The 'Information for the Patient' leaflet of the time states that there was a 'very rare side effect of heart attack', i.e. 1/10,000 chance. I must have been that one!
However, most recent studies, that weren't commissioned by the drug company, state that it is just as bad as Vioxx and Bextra, which have both been taken off the market. Celebrex is the last of these three Cox II inhibitors left on the market. Perhaps when they find the 'right mix', that will not cause HA's and Strokes, they'll finally decide that this potion is too dangerous and defective, remove it from the public realm and replace it with a safer alternative that can still be of pain-relief benefit to many, many sufferers of arthritic conditions.
I now just live in dread of another HA or worse.
If you have had similar experiences with this drug, sue the swine!
(see: New Zealand study report). I live in Belfast, N.Ireland and feel totally isolated with this news.
THere has been found a NEW Herbal Cox2 inhibitor clically Trialed AS EFFECTIVE As CELEBREX! Its called Zyflamend....Totally SAFE NO SIDE EFFECTS. Check it out on the Net Searches! It Might "SAVE YOUR LIFE"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arthritis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Knee joint replacment surgery Aug 28 Nogods 27
Knee surgery shows no benefit for people with m... Aug 25 words 1
Knee replacement may go poorly for people who t... Aug 25 HumanSpirit 1
Fast Facts About Lupus (Jan '07) Aug 15 corrina 63
Woman suffers from Lyme disease (Aug '08) Aug 14 judy 50
York nun finds freedom with water aerobics Aug 10 lady 1
Ask the Ebay Queen: How do I fight words of eBa... Aug 8 Philip Cohen 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••