Robotic Guidance for Knee Surgery

Robotic Guidance for Knee Surgery

There are 11 comments on the TechnologyReview.com story from Mar 31, 2008, titled Robotic Guidance for Knee Surgery. In it, TechnologyReview.com reports that:

Robotic surgery: Surgeons using a robotic guidance system to perform complex partial knee-replacement surgery receive haptic feedback when they try to cut bone outside a predetermined area . via TechnologyReview.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TechnologyReview.com.

Wayne t

AOL

#1 Apr 27, 2008
I am one month out from knee replacement. There is a lot of pain. Worse arrising in the morning My surgeon is gruff and not very helpfull. He limits pain medication Too much even to get helpfull rehab.I make myself walk,climb stairs and all the exersizes they told me to do afterword.They most assuradily seriously downplay the severe pain and how long it lasts.I had no choice prior. I could hardly walk at all.Help is difficult to come by.
Joon

Basildon, UK

#2 Apr 28, 2008
Wayne, Get yourself to another surgeon!!! If you bought a car that caused you to have questions, you'd be back at the dealer in a N.Y. minute. If the person who did your surgery does not give you support, get rid of him! This surgery is too difficult to go through without help! Cheers, Joon
BilateralJohn

Portsmouth, NH

#3 May 1, 2008
Wayne, find a good rehabilitation therapist. One who spends the full hour working one on one with you three times a week. I am on my 5th week post op on a bilateral tkr. I have 125 degrees flexion and -7 extension on both knees. I am told that the extension is the most critical at this point. Joon is right about the surgery being too difficult to go through without help.

Lots of pain and I am useing my last 30 percocet/oxycodone judiciously. My surgeon says it's valium next. The frustrating part is one day I make 30 percent progress and the next I'm down 26% for a small net gain of 4%. I get walking really well and then work at my desk for a half hour and have to battle through some pain to get moving again.

And then what do you know? I can sleep on my side, put on my socks, balance on one leg while putting on my pants (just this morning), get into the car to drive by putting my right let in first, sitting and then lifting my left leg in, or walk up or down the 13 steps to my apartment one foot after another.

Time cures all but beware of 0 degree extension "windows of opportunity" which might close after 8 weeks.

Best of Luck
chetta

AOL

#4 May 2, 2008
can any one let me know if they have had total knee replacemnet using the otis med! Also how is it working out for you.
BilateralJohn

Portsmouth, NH

#5 May 2, 2008
chetta wrote:
can any one let me know if they have had total knee replacemnet using the otis med! Also how is it working out for you.
Yes, I have. 5 weeks ago.

Check out my posts in the "otismed results in early failures" forum. I got into some discussions with some nay sayers from around Philadelphia before my operation.

At the moment just today I'm -2 degrees on both knees extension and 125 degrees flexion.

So far so good. But it is a lot of work. And I am happy I had both knees done at the same time. I don't think there is twice the pain and I get the benefit of exercising both knees at the same time/therapy session.
JointDoc

Burlington, NJ

#6 May 2, 2008
I would not have the Otis med knee. For all the enthusiasm Bilateral John had, his result is actually slightly slower than most patients with a regular knee. Why is it so hard to extend completely? Because the extension gap is too tight. This is one result of the Otis med that I have observed.

I really do hope you do well John...I swear. But for all the talk and hype about this new technology, I would be pretty upset with the slow outcome if I were you.
BilateralJohn

Portsmouth, NH

#7 May 9, 2008
6 weeks post op 0 extension left knee -1 right 135 degrees flexion both knees. Not even the tiniest bit of scab on my scar. Had a pretty intense supervised workout this morning so my muscles are pretty sore. My Physical Therapist has me working on balance by catching a heavy ball while balancing on a rubber half ball gizmo thing. Also am doing a lot of quad and hamstring reps on one of those bench gym type leg weight machines.

So far Otismed been berry berry good to me...contrary to the predictions of the Philadelphia Joint Doc.

Incidentaly there is a good article in the current issue of Business Week on scum bag orthopedic prosthesis companies and the paid/bribed doctors who halk their products. http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/...
Mention of Zimmer Holdings giving 86 million in kickbacks. spine surgeon Dr. Charles D. Rosen seems to be the hero here and it would probably be a good question of your orthopedic surgeon whether or not he has a financial stake in prostheis company he uses.

This article also explains some of the accusations that appear in discussions in topix over different methods of treatment by orthopedic surgeons.

Caveat Emptor
JointDoc

Burlington, NJ

#8 May 10, 2008
Still,

Your results are no better, if not a little slower, than I am used to seeing for a knee replacement.

So your rehab was average, your motion is average, and you are placing your trust that it will last as long as a standard knee replacement.

You made no serious gain by using OtisMed, but now you have this lingering threat of early failure due to malalignment.

I would not make make that decision for myself.
BilateralJohn

Portsmouth, NH

#9 May 10, 2008
JointDoc, have you read any of posts under "post knee replacement pain and "post knee replacement problems"?

I think you are out of touch with the results of your "clasic" methods. Im Rods, soft tissue releases, and "artistic" alignment dependent on the skill of the surgeon all under the goal of seeking an artifical 0 degree mechanical axis has to be reconsidered because your results don't add up to consistent success rates. Of course, all of your boasting is questionable, anyway, since you never identify yourself.

Who are you and have you ever received reimbursments from the companies that you use?

OtisMed so far so good.
joy

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Dec 12, 2008
I had a Otis total knee replacement 10 weeks ago. I could put my full weight on my operated leg without any pain (and no pain medication at any time) the day after surgery. My flex was 90 degrees then. Now, after l0 weeks I am still pain free, again no medication at any time, flex is 125 degrees and have been discharged from therapy.

I have an appointment with my surgeon for my other knee and expect approximately the same result. I give full credit to my surgeon and my physical therapists. Also, I did complete set of exercises every day for a month before my surgery.
Colleen Jennings

Hillsboro, OR

#11 Nov 15, 2013
I think the outcome of the surgery may depend on many factors. However, robotic surgery has been reported to be not as good as it sounds. There are patients who have reported to experienced complications. I suggest that you refer for articles at http://www.davincilawsuit.us/ , that I think may be of great help to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arthritis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Repeal or retain? Election opens final act for ... Aug 22 Hostis Publicus 12
News Foods could make arthritis worse (Sep '06) Aug 8 Sheila johnson 32
News Fury as Noel Edmonds suggest cancer sufferer's ... Jun '16 Ursus123 1
News How to File A Complaint About DIRECTV (Jul '08) May '16 james 249
News Exercise buddies: Make your pooch your fitness ... May '16 City of Poop 1
News Ask Dr. Gott: Woman deals with skin lupus (Aug '09) Apr '16 krossyomind 8
News Natural remedy reignites spark in bedroom (Feb '12) Apr '16 Adam 44
More from around the web