Mike Argento: Adoptee seeks stem cell...

Mike Argento: Adoptee seeks stem cells from birth mother

There are 21 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Jan 6, 2010, titled Mike Argento: Adoptee seeks stem cells from birth mother. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

It was about three years ago when Shahonna Grove's joints began aching. Thirty years old seemed kind of young to be developing arthritis, she thought, so she went to the doctor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Working in Health Care

York, PA

#1 Jan 6, 2010
Wow! Your article touched me. I truly hope Ms. Grove's birth mother steps forward so she can give Ms. Grove a second chance to live. After this article, the birth mother's son may place two and two together and realize the brave and unselfish act his mother did by giving birth to Ms. Grove and placing her for adoption so she can have a better life. I pray for both Ms. Grove and her birth mother.
A Birth mother myself

York, PA

#2 Jan 6, 2010
What an awesome story! I gave a child up for adoption over 50 years ago and was lucky enough to meet her. When I did, it brought a lot of tears, but she quickly became part of my family. Hopefully, with this girl being so sick her mother will tell her family. I think Ms. Grove deserves all the support she can get. After all. this is not the time to shut her out, or make her feel like she's not deserving enough to know her mother's husband or children.

SO TO THE BIRTH MOTHER- DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!
DARK STAR

Mount Wolf, PA

#3 Jan 7, 2010
Yes, do the right thing. The hell with what the family thinks.
A Birth mother myself

York, PA

#4 Jan 7, 2010
DARK STAR wrote:
Yes, do the right thing. The hell with what the family thinks.
I hope the birth mother does the right thing and doesn't turn her back. I would love to here from Ms. Grove to see how this turns out. Maybe she should have her own blog on here. Something just tells me that since the birth mother is so secretive, in the end, she won't help. I guess time will tell.
FuaxClaud

New Windsor, NY

#5 Jan 7, 2010
I know this will sound mean and cruel, and I don't wish anything bad upon anyone:
After reading the story, the bit about the first reunion, "At that time, she had no reason to stay in touch with her birth mother. She met her, and that was enough, then.." I can't help but to think that maybe her mother would feel a bit better about offering up herself up again of she was seen as more than a brood mare and cell producer. Birthmothers are human too.. not just baby making machines. I know.. I am one. And while I would NEVER be able to deny my own child anything; I can imagine that she is hurt by Grove's attituide. Maybe she doesn't want anything more from her mother but her cells, but maybe her mother deserves more than that.
Just a thought.
Claudia Corrigan D'arcy
www.musingsofthelame.com
a little insight

Toms River, NJ

#6 Jan 7, 2010
Ms. Grove is being more than fair about this situation, her mother could not continue seeing her without her other children and most importantly her husband finding out. There are a few details not mentioned in the article and noone seemed to wonder where is her father and maybe her mother should tell her who he is so that he can be given the chance to know that Ms. Grove even exists, and just maybe he would donate the stem cells.
The mother has total control, I doubt the father even knows he has a daughter.
Barb Holtzinger

Red Lion, PA

#7 Jan 7, 2010
I'm the mother of four children, and I would do anything I could to save one of their lives if I had the power and resources to do so! Caring people give kidneys to complete strangers, but this mother won't help her own flesh and blood to save her life? What a selfish attitude. I personally know Shahanna and am privileged to be her friend, and I can't imagine her mother refusing to help her! Shahanna is studying to be a cardiologist and is also the mother of a daughter, so she has everything to live for. How dare her mother deny her this necessity!
Another Friend

York, PA

#9 Jan 7, 2010
I too am friends with Ms. Grove, and I can tell you I know the entire story. Ms. Grove has been through hell,with her treatments. She had to be sent back to the hospital after her last treatment for physical therapy and all her hair has fallen out from the treatment. And after all the hell she has been throiugh she stillshe insisted her mother's name be kept out of the article. Ms.Grove could have easily been vengeful, put her name in the paper and then the entire world, including her husband and kids would know. And don't worry, I seriously doubt her mother is going to help her. She talked to her once, and hasn't bothered to return any of Grove's phone calls since. If I was Shahonna I would have told the world who she is. And as far as Shahonna not staying in touch with her after her first meeting, she didn't purposely not stay in touch, she ignored shahonna's plea to get a test to see if she was a match a year and a half ago. IT WAS HER MOTHER WHO STOPPED COMMUNICATING! HEAVEN FORBID IF SHE WOULD TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR HER ACTIONS AND JUST TELL HER FAMILY AND SAVE HER DAUGGHTER'S LIFE!!!!!
A CLASSMATE

York, PA

#10 Jan 7, 2010
(FUAX CLOUD)-THIS WOMAN IS NUTS!!! SHAHONNA IS AN AWESOME PERSON. i GO TO SCHOOL WITH HER AND i HAVE WITNESSED HER COME TO CLASS AFTER SITTING THROUGH A 5 HOUR TRANSFUSIONS. i HAVE SEEN HER SHOW UP WEARING A MASK BECAUSE HER IMMUNE SYSTEM IS SO LOW AND SHE IS SO WEAK THE ONLY PLACE SHE SHOULD BE IS HOME IN BED! BUT SHE IS ALWAYS SMILING AND HAS THE MOST POSITIVE ATTITUDE EVER. SHE STILL COMES TO CLASS NO MATTER WHAT HELL SHE WENT THROUGH EARLIER IN THE DAY AND MAKES US ALL LAUGH AND I AGREE WITH MS. HOLTZINGER. WE ARE ALL PRIVELEGED TO KNOW HER. SHE IS ONE OF THE MOST DRIVEN AND DETERMINED PERSON YOU COULD EVER MEET. HER MOTHER NEEDS TO HANG OUT WITH SHAHONNA MORE. SHAHONNA COULD TEACH HER, LIKE SHE'S TAUGHT THE REST OF US, A LESSON IN STRENGH AND DETERMINATION.
concerned mom

York, PA

#11 Jan 8, 2010
I think it's a shame how her brother is supposedly a cop in West York Pa,who is supposed to be helping the community, but won't help his sister.
NICE GUY!
birth mother too york pa

Archbald, PA

#12 Jan 8, 2010
i see both sides of the coin,however,this is a no brainer situation of life or death. if my adopted daughter ever tried to contact me for any reason i would jump for joy. hopefully,this situation remedies itself! the father should be involved too. maybe he doesnt know either.theres more to this secret than meets the eye. there are many birth parents who gave up their children for a better life, not because they really wanted to. why not give what you can now?
MANDY

York, PA

#13 Jan 8, 2010
What in the hell is wrong with this woman??? She doesn't want to tell anyone she has a dying child??? Absolutely heartless!
a concerned sister

Etters, PA

#14 Jan 8, 2010
i am shahonnas adoptive sister it was my mom and her ex husband who adopted her trust me this poor girl has been through a hell of alot i have seen it first hand and to have someone to not be there to help u save not only shahonnas life but what about my niece if something happens to her mom she will forever be vengful for noone helping her mother! and she would be heartbroken shahonna is a single parent and she does darn well taking care of my niece going to school and she was trying to work and really tell me if u feel sick what do u want to do? sleep or lay around but she gets up everyday like it is a fresh new day and fights for her life because to her her days are precious! i agree with everyone that her mother needs to step up i have seen her go through this for 3 yrs its a bit ridiculous to think how much longer do i have and did i kiss my child goodnight and did i make the day good incase there is no tomorrow? someone please help!
focus on dad

Toms River, NJ

#15 Jan 9, 2010
Shahonna's father would have had a relationship with a girl named Paula that attended York Catholic. He may not know he fathered this child. If you look at her picture you would guess her father is African-American. Please,anyone that may have any information contact through shahonnagrove@yahoo.com.
test

Archbald, PA

#16 Jan 10, 2010
alot of people have read these blogs. now it is time for someone in the web community of italian or african descent to donate their blood for a match whether or not you are family. its only a blood donation.
Former Friend

York, PA

#17 Jun 6, 2010
I too, know Shahonna personally. Unless this woman has dramatically changed over the past year, beware. She is nothing but a user and abuser. She lies more than anyone I have ever met. She can tell you to your face how much she loves helping people, and even makes feeble attempts, but her two-faced self eventually is undeniable. I know the sister that commented above, but doubt the sister knows what Shahonna says behind her back. The same goes true for her adoptive mother. I truly pity Shahonna's daughter. If I were a mean person, I would have reported Shahonna to CYS long ago. Instead, I pray for her. Yes, as much as I cannot stand Shahonna, I pray for her and her child.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe this medical issue has made her see the light and start treating people right. Maybe it has changed the kind of person she is. If it has, then I am glad. Unfortunately, I just don't see a leopard changing its spots.:(
Mom

Lancaster, PA

#18 Jul 12, 2010
To the person above, We will pray for you too. How sad you must drag my daughter thru the mud.And just for the record, Shahonna is an awesome Mom, I'm truely sorry for your jealousy.
Kristin

Lancaster, PA

#19 Jul 12, 2010
Really "former friend" go read my note on facebook...some ppl just have no life or any respect of life! So sad for you!
Carol

York, PA

#20 Jul 12, 2010
Way to go "former Friend" You just made yourself look like a complete SOB. Your mom must be proud!I would suggest instead of trying to smear Ms. Grove, You should work on yourself! Looks like you need way more help than she does.If she was as bad as you say she is..Why does she refuse to release her mom's name? I gotta tell you, Maybe you need to rethink some things cause Anyone reading this can tell Ms. Grove has more class in her little toe, than you have all together.
somone who knows

Etters, PA

#21 Jul 12, 2010
Hey Sabrina why don't u worry about ur pathetic life! With ur kid who likes to burn down houses and touch little kids! Get a life and all of it boils down to Shahonna living not u so mind ur own I didn't wanna bring up harsh stuff but u started it! If it was u would u want people slandering u if u were dying? I think u need to apologize because u will prolly go to hell! Oh wait ur a self described witch so maybe u believe u will never die!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arthritis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News When You Should (And Shouldn't) See A Chiropractor (Dec '14) Jul 3 digiguy 12
News Nine of nature's most powerful traditional mult... (May '13) Jun 26 Mary Wilcoxon 6
Bee Venom Ointment for Arthritis Jun 9 Julio 1
News A list of potential adverse reactions to the MM... Jun '15 MMR MAIMS KILLS 2
News Many advancements made with knee replacements (Feb '14) May '15 Stan Rusiecki 4
News How to File A Complaint About DIRECTV (Jul '08) May '15 Jsoudercont 233
News Livingston Teen Living with Arthritis Helps to ... May '15 aspirub 1
More from around the web