Any of you have gas pains after surge...

Any of you have gas pains after surgery??

Posted in the Appendicitis Forum

First Prev
of 22
Next Last
Nick - 26 years old

Michigan City, IN

#1 Apr 9, 2007
The nurses and doctors informed that during the appendectomy I was filled up with air (CO2) so the instruments could easily maneuver within my tissue. Now, I have pains in my right jaw and mostly my right shoulder. The nurses explained to me that it is typical for gas to get trapped in these areas following surgery.
Do/Did any of you have/had similar problems? If so, how long until the gas pains went away? How long until you passed gas regularely? How long before regular bowel movements?
I couldn't believe it when they told me it was gas pains, then again that's why they went to med school.
Please any of inform me if you had similar post-operative issues.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Brenda

United States

#2 May 11, 2007
I had mine taken Sunday A.M.Today is Friday, I still have major gas pains keeping me awake and very uncomfortable. One now seems to be under my rib cage. OUCH! I've been experiencing these gas pains in places I didn't know could hurt soo bad. I was in hosp for 6 days and had lots of meds. Infection was pretty bad I guess, but the incision sites feel great compared to the gas pressure sites. It too shall pass (I Pray).
Jason

Tampa, FL

#3 Aug 21, 2007
Yes I too have the gas pains from a gallbladder removal which I recently had.

It's been 7 days and I can still feel the gas up under my ribs and it moves all around. I'm a smaller waisted individual so they said they required lots of air. I get tightness in my chest and such and I know it's from this trapped CO2. Each day gets a little better...the shoulder pain and the first 48 hours were miserable.
5 years and going

Longview, WA

#4 Sep 12, 2007
I had my tubes tied after lm 5 year old was born and I still have severe gas pains that are between my shoulder blades and my chest, Dr said this is normal, gee Iwonder what is normal to my DR..anyways I found it to be releiveing taking to Gas X maximum strength and a ice cold pepsi drank really really fast, it makes me burp and if I catch it in time within an hour I feel better..thank you
sharon ross

Jamaica, NY

#5 Feb 2, 2008
i just had a major surgery removal of appendix and cervix and uterus and i am dying with gas pains
Jason

Nanty Glo, PA

#6 Apr 13, 2008
Had an appendectomy 3 weeks ago and my surgen and regular Doctor both warned me about potential gas. It wasn't until I really started to get up and movie around and get back to work that I've had a problem "passing gas." Now it's constant and I'd really can't wait to get back to normal. The only time there is pain though is when I try and hold it in, other than that it's just a lot of trips to the rest room.
Kris

La Porte, IN

#7 May 22, 2008
Nick - 26 years old wrote:
The nurses and doctors informed that during the appendectomy I was filled up with air (CO2) so the instruments could easily maneuver within my tissue. Now, I have pains in my right jaw and mostly my right shoulder. The nurses explained to me that it is typical for gas to get trapped in these areas following surgery.
Do/Did any of you have/had similar problems? If so, how long until the gas pains went away? How long until you passed gas regularely? How long before regular bowel movements?
I couldn't believe it when they told me it was gas pains, then again that's why they went to med school.
I just came out of surgery and have terrible shoulder pain the following day. When the nurse called to see how I was I told her about this terrible shoulder pain. She said it was gas. I just want a way to get it out of me quicker.
Carol

Milpitas, CA

#8 May 30, 2008
- had mine taken out two months ago and still experiencing issues in my gut. I have now developed a strange patchy rash on my torso. Anyone experience this
Carol

Milpitas, CA

#9 May 30, 2008
- had mine taken out two months ago and still experiencing issues in my gut. I have now developed a strange patchy rash on my torso. Anyone experience this
NYer

Springfield Gardens, NY

#10 Jul 2, 2008
Carol-
I have Crohns/Colitis/Psoriasis. They are all one related disorder. I just had my appendix out 6 weeks ago and I'm still having pains. Sometimes the symptoms of the disease mimic appendicitis. You should probably visit a gastro to rule this out (and a derm!).
Good luck.
Terry

Castro Valley, CA

#11 Jul 19, 2008
I just had gall bladder surgery....the gas pain in my right shoulder was horrible.....but 3 days after surgery I am doing very well.
Fart freely!
Lena

Modesto, CA

#12 Jul 21, 2008
I just had a lap appy two days ago and I got over the right shoulder pain once the poo passed lol, but my neck and back of my shoulders are killing me now... I will try letting the gas out like some others have... Thanks...
Valerie

Ravenna, OH

#13 Aug 13, 2008
I just had my gallbladder out yesterday. My neck and shoulders are killing me today. Of course my stomach is too. I am going to try GasX and pop.I can her it rolling around in there.
PAIN RELIEF

Millbury, OH

#14 Oct 10, 2008
Hot compresses on shoulders and neck seem to be working some. ALso read drinking hot water or tea with lemom.
PAIN RELIEF

Millbury, OH

#15 Oct 10, 2008
Hot compresses on shoulder and neck or chest seems to help also drink hot water or tea with lemon.
DMF

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Nov 3, 2008
Yes, it is gas. I had it when I had my two children from c-section in my jaw and in my shoulders very painful. try warm teas and laying on your left side it will eventually pass about a day or two for me.
kiwichick52

New Zealand

#17 Nov 9, 2008
I had an open fundoplication (anti-reflux) operation 10 days ago. My wound is healing nicely. My pain is coming from my left shoulder and my side/back which is apparently a build up of co2 gas from the operation. I was taken back to hospital 5 days after leaving due to the severe pain, so bad that I couldn't breathe without the feeling of being electrocuted!!! I have been sleeping on my recliner with heat packs and pain relief. Last night I tried my bed - oohhh big mistake. I managed to go to sleep despite the pain, but I woke up crying out in pain at 4am. Is there any methods of getting rid of the gas that anyone has found successful?
collin

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Dec 16, 2008
I just had an appendectomy yesterday morning, and YES i am having the gas pains in both of my traps!(shoulder neck area) My left trap is fine now, but my right one is just as painful as it was in teh beginning. Hopefully, it will go away soon, it is co2.

IF YOU HAD APPENDICITIS or really anything and were on tons of antibiotics and you have a PATCHY RASH it could be YEAST INFECTION! This is common when you are on lots of antibiotics report it to your doctor!

I HATE CO2
Aching in TX

Dallas, TX

#19 Jan 2, 2009
Yikes.
I'm planning on going into the ER in a few hours when my wife gets home. I think 60% chance I have appendicitis, and 39% chance it's a hernia. I'll leave "other" as 1%.

I already have more gas/belching than most people do and take prilosic for it. Now since last night when I got or noticed this painful lower left area on my tummy, I also have had even more gas than normal and because of the combo, I slept NOTHING tonight. Went to bed at 8:30.... could not ever fall asleep despite being very tired.

So now reading all your comments with the horrific gas, I think I am going to plead with my Dr to go as easy as he can on filling me up with co2.

I wish I could get a whole new stomach/system.
Sheila

Springer, OK

#20 Jan 23, 2009
I had a hystorectomy last Tuesday and just started having gas pains in my shoulder/ribs(Rt.)7 days later...I have never hurt this much when I breathe ever...it hurts so bad just to take a small breath. I am taking gas-x, Mylanta,Rolaids and pain pills and nothing seems to touch the pain. One thing that feels kinda good is a light massage of my rib cage and that is only temporary relief. Doctors can remove all these organs but, no miracle cure for surgical "GAS"...come on...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 22
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Appendicitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Recovery after appendix surgery (Mar '06) Thu NorCal 2,307
Shoulder pain after surgery (Apr '07) Feb 22 Alilacgirl 743
Right abdominal pain after appendix removal Feb 10 Deb H 2
News Remembering Anarcha, Lucy, and Betsey: The Moth... Feb 7 Stinky Pootuhs 1
Pain after surgery questions (Oct '06) Jan 29 Conlew 202
Appendectomy Jan '17 Leng 1
Appendectomy Scar on Wrong Side (Sep '07) Jan '17 Giancarlo 48
More from around the web