Erica

Mississauga, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2006

What is the pain like after surgery? How long does it last. My brother had his appendix out yesteday morning, and 31 hours later he is still in excrutiating pain. Is this normal
Jessica

Clinton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2006

I didn't feel an ounce of pain after my surgery.
Perhaps I was blessed?
Brenda

Sharon, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2006

Judged:

I had an open appendectomy 12 days ago and I am still in a lot of pain. The pain on my right side is excruciating at times. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow for post-op removal of staples. I'll definately be asking a lot a questions at that time. I'll update after the visit.
Melissa

Oneida, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2006

My brother just had an appendectomy 3 days ago. He now has an infection thats growing my the day. Should we worry? And what is it from?
mike

Sylvan Lake, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2006

take him to the hospital immediately if he isnt already. infections are common after surgery and it is not good.

Since: Dec 06

The Pas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2006

Judged:

I will tell you my story if you want to hear it. And I hope your brother got that infection taken car off.
I had my appendix removed. My was folded and tucked up under my bowel which made my surgery more difficult than others. Mine was not acute, it was cholicy. But they wanted it out before it became accute.
After the surgery I was in alot of pain. By the third or forth day it was starting to go away and T2's were almost enough for the pain.
Although I strongly urge anyone who has their appendix out....ASK YOUR DR FOR ANTIBIOTICS!!!! I cannot stress that enough. I got an infection in mine and because the skin was not red or "infected looking" (for lack of a better term) I thought I was just over doing it. But then I had fevers, chills and the shakes. Turns out I had a huge abcess that they had to drain. That involved a second surgery. Minor, of course, but OMG was it..... Lets put it this way, I would rather have taken a few days worth of antibiotics "just in case" then to go through that again. If they do not put you on antibiotics. If anything feels wrong, go to your doctor immediatly.
The surgeon told me that 50% of appendectomies end up infected. Simple reason is your appendix is already infected when you go for surgery. If the appendix so much as touch the tiniest part of the open tissue an infection will form.
I hope you all are feeling better. As for me, I had my out on July 17, 2006. I still have pain once in awhile. Kind of a pulling feeling. When I over do it it will hurt...almost like a cramping. But other then that, give your self atleast 3 months before you start going back to your everyday life before surgery. It takes time for all of your muscles to heal. Also, my aunt that RN told me you still have a chance of rupturing the incision line because muscle takes a lot longer to fully heal then skin does.
Lori

Westby, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2007

I am a female that had gall bladder surgery at the age of 28 and I am now 44. I have about a 10 inch scar where my gall bladder was removed. Since the surgery, I have had a burning stabbing pain where the scar is when I do sit ups, bend over and stand up or lift things from the floor. The doctor at that time said it would take time to heal but now I am 44 and I still have the burning stabbing pain.(I had two children with natural childbirth about 4-6 years before the surgery). Is that normal? What can I do to get this resolved to be pain free?
amanda

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2007

february 6, my brother just had surgery on his knee because he hurt his knee in soccer and he toor a ligament and he is in a lot of pain!! i was crying cause he kept screaming and crying because it hurt so bad and i feel bad 4 him. I had surgery before 2 times because I had a hip disease and i did the same thing so if something bad is happening to someone in your family then its **OK** to cry!
Kat

Granger, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2007

I had my appendix out and it was a major surgery to say the least and lost alot of blood. Almost 3 weeks later it is still infected and still running fevers and still hurting to the point I need pain meds. I would check with your doctor. If he had a laproscopic surgery I don't know if this is normal, but an open surgery I would say yes. Hope he feels better soon.
Erica wrote:
What is the pain like after surgery? How long does it last. My brother had his appendix out yesteday morning, and 31 hours later he is still in excrutiating pain. Is this normal
Jill

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2007

I had my surgery on Feb 14th. I am down to just an occasional pain pill. The day of the surgery - yuck. It hurt, the pain pills didn't seems to cut it. The anesthesia makes you throw up and the gas they pump into you make you hurt and gassy. The next day - much better. By Feb 16th, I was mainly sleeping and reading, taking regular pain pills but not feeling too overwhelmed by pain. Today - Feb 20th - my biggest complaint is constipation, continued gassiness and occasional pain. After reading other posts, I think I am typical of those who have had the laproscopic surgery. Hope that helps.
Jenny

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2007

My son is 6 years old and just had his appendix out on Feb. 20. He was in very little pain after surgery and came home with no complications. He was given antibiotics to take for a week, but once they were done he developed the runs and now has a fever. Wondering if anyone out there has had the same symptoms. Got an appointment in two days for another ultra sound but wondering is this an infection.
carol

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2007

Lori wrote:
I am a female that had gall bladder surgery at the age of 28 and I am now 44. I have about a 10 inch scar where my gall bladder was removed. Since the surgery, I have had a burning stabbing pain where the scar is when I do sit ups, bend over and stand up or lift things from the floor. The doctor at that time said it would take time to heal but now I am 44 and I still have the burning stabbing pain.(I had two children with natural childbirth about 4-6 years before the surgery). Is that normal? What can I do to get this resolved to be pain free?
"carol" maybe they left something inside you?
carol

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2007

Maybe they left something inside you?
Leah

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2007

Wow, reading all this makes me feel really lucky.
Two weeks ago, on Saturday, I had a LOT of abdominal pain and vomiting. Thought it was food poisoning. Next day, went to the ER. They said it was the flu. The next day, I felt a little better, but then it got worse again. Went back to the ER, found out it WAS appendicitis and it HAD burst.
The next day, I had surgery. Laparoscopic surgery, surprisingly; they said they'd try it but they'd probably end up opening me up more, but nope, the scope worked. Of course, because it had burst, I had a lovely infection roaming in my gut. Tomorrow should be my last day of IV antibiotics [I had a PICC line put in at the hospital, I'm at home right now] and I'm starting to feel halfway normal.
My incisions just hurt when I lay on my stomach or bump them on something and, occasionally, when I go to the bathroom, and even when it is painful, from 1-10 on the pain scale, it's only a 4 or below, and it hasn't been long since surgery.
I'm amazed. I wonder what makes the difference?
Eduardo

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2007

my friend is in a bit of pain, he says it's an on-off feeling, but that's it's been getting bad lately, i told hi to go to the doctor, which he says he will do. I told him as well to get the antibiotics, but he wants to know if it's something to worry about, i told him not to risk it, is he doing the right thing by going to the doctors?
Sammy

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2007

i just got my appendix out 9 days ago & im so happy its out. the pain i had before i got it out was crazyyy! im still sore but not in crazy pain like before. im mostly just sore now from the surgery. right after the surgery it hurt the same but as the days went by it got better. i went back to school today for the first time and it was pretty funn. i missed school!
the thing that is bothering me now is that i cant workout for 3 weeks or lift anything.
so im gonna get fat!
haha :]
Sarah

Michigan City, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2007

Are you having any kind of pain in any place other than where your appendix was and where the incisions are?
donna

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2007

when is my stomach going to be flat again?
Diana

Topeka, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2007

In 1976 I had my Gall Bladder removed. At that time the doctor removed my appendix, which I thought he said it was a law to remove it when removing the gall bladder. I know things have changed and the scope is more commonly used these days. Has anyone heard of this before. My friends think I'm nuts.
Carole

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2007

I had rotor cuff surgery at the end of January. I arrived at the hospital at 6:30am and the surgery was at 8:00am. They woke me after surgery and I found my right arm in a huge sling and the arm numb from the neck to my fingertips. By 11:00 am I was home and in my own bed. So far so good. At about 3:00am the next morning I awoke is terrible pain. The numbness was wearing off, the feeling had returned. By 6:00am I was out of my mind in pain. It felt as if I was being branded with a cattle iron. It took until close to 10:00am to reach the surgeon and by that time I had decided I must return to the hospital anyway. I was admitted again as an outpatient emergency and again they had to administer a nerve block to the neck. As the block started to work I finally managed to stop acting as if I was an animal caught in a leg trap. Again I was sent home and this time given enough pain meds to knock out a horse (gee I;m just a little thing) but even those, once the block wore off again, only made the pain more bearable for the next 4 days. I am shocked as this was my first surgery every and I am no spring chicken. I always thought that such strides had been made in pain management. Seems I was mistaken and lots more work needs to be done in that department. As clever as medical science is nowdays what is the point if the patient cannot be kept sedated and comfortable. I opined that my dog got better treatment because the vet kept them overnight and comfortable to avoid the poor thing waking up to pain. Surely we owe ourselves as good as our animals get. A pox on the insurance companies that do not allow overnight monitoring of surgical patients and a pox on the people who are so worried about making drug addicts of patients that require heavy dosage of pain meds.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

11 Users are viewing the Appendicitis Forum right now

Search the Appendicitis Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Recovery after appendix surgery (Mar '06) 8 hr Cindy 2,034
How to tell if i have appendicitis (Oct '07) Mon Leonard 56
Appendectomy Scar on Wrong Side (Sep '07) Aug 17 Kim 35
Gangrene Appendix (Feb '09) Aug 14 Shirley 25
Any of you have gas pains after surgery?? (Apr '07) Aug 8 Jessica 368
The murine appendiceal microbiome is altered in... Jul '14 Terry 1
People don't join cults, cults recruit people (Jun '06) Jul '14 Religious Corruption 151
•••
•••