Self testing for Anemia and Iron Levels

Posted in the Anemia Forum

Shelly Smock

London, UK

#1 Jul 28, 2007
Hi.

I have been diagnosed with anemia for a couple of months now. I have tried increasing my iron intake and take supplments given by my docter every day.

I am a female aged 19 and as i understand we need around 14.7mg of iron per day to keep me happy.

Thing is i do increase my intake - but i still feel sluggish / sometimes dizzy and just generally tired.

Is there anyway at home to figure out my iron levels - i heard once of a test including a small drop of blood in a glass of water and the result of the blood floating / sinking or mixing with the water was an indication of the iron levels in the blood.

It would be great to have this reassurance of a test.

Thanks very much

- I think eating 4 bits of wholemeal bread a day would add 4mg to my daily iron intake levels - is this right , seems easy enough to do!

Shelly
Sean

UK

#2 Aug 13, 2009
Shelly

I have heard the same test, but was searching for confirmation as well. Any luck?
Shelly Smock wrote:
Hi.
I have been diagnosed with anemia for a couple of months now. I have tried increasing my iron intake and take supplments given by my docter every day.
I am a female aged 19 and as i understand we need around 14.7mg of iron per day to keep me happy.
Thing is i do increase my intake - but i still feel sluggish / sometimes dizzy and just generally tired.
Is there anyway at home to figure out my iron levels - i heard once of a test including a small drop of blood in a glass of water and the result of the blood floating / sinking or mixing with the water was an indication of the iron levels in the blood.
It would be great to have this reassurance of a test.
Thanks very much
- I think eating 4 bits of wholemeal bread a day would add 4mg to my daily iron intake levels - is this right , seems easy enough to do!
Shelly
Per

Caroga Lake, NY

#3 Jun 21, 2011
To improve Iron consumption, drink cup of orange juice before or during meals. Low acid levels in the stomach will reduce the rate of iron consumption.
Would think that the level of iron in your system could be determined by your relative energy level. Being over weight, could also indicate low iron, activity, and energy level.
Jen

Midland, GA

#5 Jul 26, 2011
It's not water, it's copper sulfate. Probably not something to do at home.
Andrea

UK

#6 Aug 23, 2012
You should also limit your in-take of caffeine as this stops you from absorbing iron.
kristina

Seoul, Korea

#7 Oct 28, 2012
There are these liquid iron supplements called Spatone that come from wales, and are amazing! I've been dealing with anemia for more than 10 years and have tried alot of different supplements. For some reason, even though I eat a fair amount of meat and other iron rich foods, my body does not easily absorb iron. I stumbled upon these when I worked at a natural/whole foods store and they are amazing! I had trouble even with floradix as it made me very naseous, but these packets, you can add to orange juice, water, etc.(but not milk), and they raise your iron levels quite quickly, and it's been recommended especially for pregnant women with low iron.
These are amazing! Saved my life!
bob

United States

#8 Jul 9, 2013
kristina wrote:
There are these liquid iron supplements called Spatone that come from wales, and are amazing! I've been dealing with anemia for more than 10 years and have tried alot of different supplements. For some reason, even though I eat a fair amount of meat and other iron rich foods, my body does not easily absorb iron. I stumbled upon these when I worked at a natural/whole foods store and they are amazing! I had trouble even with floradix as it made me very naseous, but these packets, you can add to orange juice, water, etc.(but not milk), and they raise your iron levels quite quickly, and it's been recommended especially for pregnant women with low iron.
These are amazing! Saved my life!
Comes from "wales" the country or "whales" the animal?
Kelsie

Baltimore, MD

#9 Sep 5, 2013
I have recently been advised my iron level is low and no matter what I try to do it does not come up. I smoke and sometimes drink and anemia is in play. How can I take control and get everything up to where it needs to be?
Lori

United States

#10 Nov 17, 2013
bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Comes from "wales" the country or "whales" the animal?
Wales the country. I use the same supplements. I get them at Walgreen's
Leslie

Norwood, Canada

#11 Jan 20, 2014
I totally understand your frustration on this. I was taking 900mg of supplemental iron and then I changed my diet. For me it turns out that gluten was preventing my absorption. I had gone nearly a week of not taking my iron and was feeling really good. Just something to think about.
Victoria

Ellensburg, WA

#12 May 3, 2014
Vitamin C such as I citrus fruits, kiwis, and strawberries assists in absorption of iron if consumed at the same time. Some things like calcium should not be consumed at the same time because they block absorption of iron.
Gemma

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

#13 May 8, 2014
Nothing has ever helped my anaemia. Liquid supplements, chelated iron supplements... nothing... i suffer with severe hair loss and menstrual irregularities. I have now resorted to prayer. Perhaps God can help me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anemia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Weight and anemia symptoms? (Jul '07) Sat Ajay 25
News 5 Superfoods You Probably Aren't Eating (Oct '13) Mar 12 jhonmax 2
CARAO FRUIT!!!! Anemia Cure? (Oct '07) Feb '15 Maribel 53
Can Iron deficiency be causing all my neurologi... (Aug '11) Feb '15 ricardo 9
type of iron supplement Dec '14 Humprey 1
Any advice for newly on iv iron (Oct '06) Sep '14 laura 78
Low iron but not anemic (Mar '12) Jul '14 rcbux 2
More from around the web