Reaction to certain type of plastic bags

Posted in the Allergy Forum

Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Aug 11, 2012
Joe Cap

Hamburg, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
May 1, 2007
 
I have finally realized that my ongoing negative reaction is undoubtedly from the certain type of plastic bag I was given after surgery (blue vomit bags) that I have lying on my bedside table. I first thought that I was just experiencing a strange odor sensitivity that might have been triggered by anesthetic used in surgery. It was really driving me crazy and I've suddenly realized that it was NOT an actual odor (real or imagined) but a problem that was affecting something to do with my breathing and even the taste in my mouth and on my lips - all without my even touching the plastic bags!!! Yikes. Good bye bags! Now I even have this reaction to the plastic trash bags that I use under the sink in the kitchen!!! What is this?
Monique Attinger

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
May 21, 2007
 
Don't know what the reaction is, but I do know a product that you can use for your household garbage that is made without plastic. I use these myself: they are called Biobags, and you can check out their website at www.biobag.ca . They are made using GMO-free cornstarch.(Crazy but true...)
Maggi

Pooler, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
May 23, 2007
 
Hi,
My 4yo son developed itchy eyes (much more right than left) watery nose, throat itchy and irritation and facial swelling after being a child's fair last week. He had just arrived and was playing on those large inflatable-type moon bounce rides. He thinks maybe his eye rubbed up against something when running through the inflatable obstacle course.

We got him an epipen and inhaler, saw the ped and allergist, tested RAST for some foods and latex, latex glove challenge, nothing so far.

Any ideas what else it could be? He has played with inflatable toys before and since.

We would like to figure it out since the reaction was so sudden and strong. His doc is hesitant to do skin testing due to reaction.
thanks
Joan

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 11, 2007
 
Maggi - I'm about to take my daughter to an allergist because on two occasions she's had facial swelling and blotchiness after going on a moon bounce. It's been a scary reaction both times. It's puzzling - I've never heard of anyone else's child reacting to a moon bounce! I'm not even sure what to ask the allergist to test for. I'm glad though to know she's not the only one. Maybe it's not crazy to think the moon bounce is to blame.
Maggi wrote:
Hi,
My 4yo son developed itchy eyes (much more right than left) watery nose, throat itchy and irritation and facial swelling after being a child's fair last week. He had just arrived and was playing on those large inflatable-type moon bounce rides. He thinks maybe his eye rubbed up against something when running through the inflatable obstacle course.
We got him an epipen and inhaler, saw the ped and allergist, tested RAST for some foods and latex, latex glove challenge, nothing so far.
Any ideas what else it could be? He has played with inflatable toys before and since.
We would like to figure it out since the reaction was so sudden and strong. His doc is hesitant to do skin testing due to reaction.
thanks
Sandy

Towson, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 27, 2008
 
My daughter had an allergic reation shortly after being on a moon bouch. This was the next morning, her face swole, eyes were also swollen and she had hives all over. Itching and hot we rushed her to the hospital.

I can't believe this either, no other reaction to plactics.
Kara

Webster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 12, 2008
 
My daughter also had a reaction to a bounce house. She has been a horrible spiral since we bought her a "nonallergenic" latex bed supposedly with all proteins stripped out of it. I am also wondering if her crocs exacerbated things as she got extremely itchy and swollen feet. Is there such a thing as a rubber allergy?
squeak smith NC

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
May 25, 2009
 
I've been having strange reactions to food items stored/wrapped in certain plastic bags, i.e. bread, cookies, etc. Does anyone have any info on possible causes...latex?....my lips tingle and are numb after eating fresh bread stored in the plastic bags they are sold in, I notice it more after the bread is a few days old...I noticed similar reaction from home made cookies stored in plastic 'baggie' type storage bags purchased at a 'discount' store, not 'name brand' bags like zip-lock, or glad. I think there is a transfer of some chemical from the plastic to the food and my lips are sensitive to that chemical....suggestions?
Maryann

Sterling, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 5, 2009
 
My son had a reaction after playing on a moon bounce on July 4th. He had hives on his face and what looked like a heat rash on the back of his neck. He must have had hives on his head too because he was scratching his head like crazy and he said it hurt. I took him inside and once he cooled off in the air conditioning he was fine and everything went away. He's been on moon bounces before without having this kind of reaction. I wonder if it is because of the type of cleanser used to clean it out. It is so hard to protect your kids from unsafe chemicals, which seem to be everywhere!
stef

Mountain View, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Oct 11, 2009
 
Kara wrote:
My daughter also had a reaction to a bounce house. She has been a horrible spiral since we bought her a "nonallergenic" latex bed supposedly with all proteins stripped out of it. I am also wondering if her crocs exacerbated things as she got extremely itchy and swollen feet. Is there such a thing as a rubber allergy?
This is a year later that I'm reading your post, but I wasn't clear if you know that Latex allergies exist. Please talk with your doctor about this.
Lyn

Bellville, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Dec 11, 2009
 
I am getting welts from plastic bags from the supermarket if it touches my skin, what is in the plastic that can cause this and I wonder if all plastic has the same reaction quite concerning considering how much plastic we have in our homes
Lyn - South Africa
Hayley - UK

Leicester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 20, 2010
 
Omg ppl. This is a global epidemic .... so I am not alone! So sorry for your children, it is bad enough for me as an adult. Anyway, I am no medic but I have been researching allergies for some time and been on elimination diets. I am definitely allergic to latex and I believe I am allergic to plastic - off to seek medical advice. Yes, it's a nightmare ... we live in a plastic world! Plastic and latex are everywhere, even in products we could never imagine. Below is a link to an interesting and informative website and includes info on products and medical advice such as blood tests instead of potentially dangerous pin-prick tests.

Whilst, apparently, plastic and latex are not related the following might surprise you. I recently had flu and the guy on the market tried giving me kiwi (supposedly very good for you) unless, of course, you are allergic! In short, he then informed me that if you are allergic to latex you are likely to be allergic to kiwi and pineapple. How all 3 are connected is unknown to me and I don't know if this info is correct but I do know that it is true in my case.

OMG please, please, please see following link, I have just gone back to it ... the 2nd paragraph has answered so many of my questions. I beg you, please investigate!

Anyway, good luck to all. Here is link: http://www.theallergysite.co.uk/latexplastic....
Hayley - UK

Leicester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 20, 2010
 
Here's another link specifically relating to plastic allergy: http://yourallergycenter.com/allergysymptoms/...
Hayley - UK

Leicester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 20, 2010
 
Ok yet another link, this time to plastic moulding! Yes, they coat the plastic with latex and/or other materials. So if latex is your problem this might explain why some plastics irritate and others seem ok. I am also trying to ascertain whether solid plastics are ok/better rather than flimsy materials which I guess have more air-bourne particles.

Anyway, this is just 1 link to a plastic dip moulding company there are more on google.

http://swlatex.com/
Hayley - UK

Leicester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 20, 2010
 
Finally ... I think! lol. If latex is your prob then you might want to think about the proteins (as outlined in para 2 ... important link I posted). similar proteins are found in an ever increasing number of plants ... these plants are not only in the food we eat and in our gardens but also in the clothes we wear! Beware of polyester -as the name suggests, it is poly esters! Also you may want to avoid lycra/spandex and don't forget your knicker elastic! THIS IS ADVICE ONLY - PURE SPECULATION - I AM NO MEDIC
Kristina

Crofton, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
May 2, 2012
 
Did you ever find out if it was the moon bounce that your daughter was allergic to?
Sandy wrote:
My daughter had an allergic reation shortly after being on a moon bouch. This was the next morning, her face swole, eyes were also swollen and she had hives all over. Itching and hot we rushed her to the hospital.
I can't believe this either, no other reaction to plactics.
Jeanne Tobin

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Aug 11, 2012
 
Check out my post fron yesterday.You probably have a latex and silicone allergy, which can be deadly. The history of the rubber tree and how they make different platics may explain. The website A.L.E.R.T. is a good start.
Joe Cap wrote:
I have finally realized that my ongoing negative reaction is undoubtedly from the certain type of plastic bag I was given after surgery (blue vomit bags) that I have lying on my bedside table. I first thought that I was just experiencing a strange odor sensitivity that might have been triggered by anesthetic used in surgery. It was really driving me crazy and I've suddenly realized that it was NOT an actual odor (real or imagined) but a problem that was affecting something to do with my breathing and even the taste in my mouth and on my lips - all without my even touching the plastic bags!!! Yikes. Good bye bags! Now I even have this reaction to the plastic trash bags that I use under the sink in the kitchen!!! What is this?
Jeanne Tobin

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Aug 11, 2012
 
The immune system is screwy due to latex allergies. Testing is not accurate. My blood test was neg. for latex and patch test was positive.Children are more vulnerable than our generation. Even some experts have not heard of latex food syndrome,so everyone gets diagnosed with asthma, Latex allergies bring on asthma attacks.A.L.E.R.T. website can help.
Maggi wrote:
Hi,
My 4yo son developed itchy eyes (much more right than left) watery nose, throat itchy and irritation and facial swelling after being a child's fair last week. He had just arrived and was playing on those large inflatable-type moon bounce rides. He thinks maybe his eye rubbed up against something when running through the inflatable obstacle course.
We got him an epipen and inhaler, saw the ped and allergist, tested RAST for some foods and latex, latex glove challenge, nothing so far.
Any ideas what else it could be? He has played with inflatable toys before and since.
We would like to figure it out since the reaction was so sudden and strong. His doc is hesitant to do skin testing due to reaction.
thanks
Jeanne Tobin

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Aug 11, 2012
 
Joan wrote:
Maggi - I'm about to take my daughter to an allergist because on two occasions she's had facial swelling and blotchiness after going on a moon bounce. It's been a scary reaction both times. It's puzzling - I've never heard of anyone else's child reacting to a moon bounce! I'm not even sure what to ask the allergist to test for. I'm glad though to know she's not the only one. Maybe it's not crazy to think the moon bounce is to blame.
<quoted text>
Facial swelling is so dangerous. That meant my brain was swelling. I am 52 yrs.old and am the poster child for latex allergies, because I have spina bifida. No one could diagnose me. My sister who has been a nurse for over 35 yrs. was able to diagnose me with latex food syndrome, thank God. I wish I had all the money that I spent trying to find my issue. I hope no one waits for the experts opinions, because they did not get warnings from the FDA or niosha. Check out all the latex info. on those websites. It is time for us all to be pro=active.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Allergy Discussions

Search the Allergy Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Vanderbilt Allergist Offers Tips for Coping wit... (Nov '13) Jul 21 Sylvia 3
Allergy sufferers seek alternatives Jul 17 Chiropractor from Chicago 12
cancer cure Jul 15 cancer cure is here 1
Stearic Acid (Jan '10) Jul 8 Bidisha 43
Weird Allergic Reaction? (Jan '08) Jun '14 Marian 51
Allergies or sinusitis? (Oct '09) Jun '14 JamieHarris 11
Allergic to Horses Anyone????? (Mar '07) Jun '14 Anonymous 88
•••
•••