Does this sound like an allergy?

Does this sound like an allergy?

Posted in the Allergy Forum

Dora Smith

San Juan, TX

#1 Nov 3, 2011
Could be double post. I just posted it and it didn't appear.

I need to check on this. My doctor now thinks it's allergic dermatitis. No particular reason to think so.

I keep getting a rash on my trunk. ONLY on my trunk. Rarely upper arms and upper thighs. Rarely on my buttocks and groin area. Usually above the waist. Extends to the neck.
Photos at http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/581...

This rash appears if and only if I don't shower for two days, except in hot weather, when it appers if I don't shower atleast once a day. NOT, it only appears when I don't shower for two months. When I don't shower for two days. It clears up the day after I bathe or the next day, temporarily. It's a bigger problem when it's hot, and I sweat heavily. But it's also become a serious problem in cool weather. The photos I've linked to were the result of not showering for three days in cool weather.

This problem began abruptly at menopause and I've never had it before. It originally was only a problem in hot weather.

Here are photos of it at its absolute worst. Purple stripes under breast have been there a long time and several deep red spots are something different that I've had for thirty years. At present it covers a much smaller area of my trunk.

Sometimes many of the dots are colorless, especially in hot weather. They never ooze unless broken and never have puss or anything but clear fluid in them.

Treating it for scabies caused the problem to temporary clearly up, but it came back. Some odd skin problems I had before I treated for scabies went away and never came back. I do have housemates, and if we are passing scabies back and forth the problem will recur until eternity.

Doctor insisted it looked like scabies, but now he insists it's allergies. Probably to an animal.

Only animal in my house is my budgies. They stay in their cage. They don't ride around in my clothes next to my skin, nor sleep with me.

Patch testing with my laundry detergent, shampoo and conditioner didn't cause any reaction.

An allergic reaction to shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion, or laundry detergent should appear after I bathe or put on freshly washed clothes, not selectively appear only when I didn't bathe for two days.

Acne cleanser with salicylic acid and acne cleanser with essential oils both help. That wouldn't make a difference if the problem were allergic. It could make a difference if the problem was any sort of infection, and possibly if it was scabies.

Scabies mites have a life cycle, and their population increases when the eggs hatch. This takes two days from when they were laid. Then it drops. Normally a healthy adult with scabies has ten mites on their body. I think that the allergic element to scabies mites is their poop. Possibly also their saliva. At a certain point young mites have to leave their burrows and move around on the skin looking for mates, so they're vulnerable to being washed off.

Now, I'm just checking. Does this sound like any sort of an allergy?

Yours,
Dora Smith

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allergy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Allergic reaction? (Aug '08) May 11 Lori 6
News Climate change linked to more pollen, allergies... (Jun '13) May 7 Dan 16
News Allergies or sinusitis? (Oct '09) May 7 Dan 15
News Allergies Are Seasonal, and Now is the Season i... (Apr '13) May 7 Dan 4
Weird Allergic Reaction? (Jan '08) May 3 Dan1 75
Allergies after smoking (Aug '06) Mar '17 Mystifies 129
I feel sick after loads of things!!!! (Nov '07) Mar '17 Holly Diem 7
More from around the web