Tongue piercing led to food allergies?

Tongue piercing led to food allergies?

Posted in the Allergy Forum

Beth

Long Eddy, NY

#1 Jul 8, 2008
I'm 18 years old, I've never had any allergies, and neither has anyone in my family. About a month and a half ago, I got my tongue pierced, and the piercing has since healed quite nicely and I haven't had a problem with it.

About two weeks after I got the piercing, I tried a piece of shrimp from an order of chop suey, and within a few minutes my tongue started itching and it swelled up so much it was hard to talk. After taking some Benadryl, my tongue was back to normal, and I assumed that I'd had an allergic reaction to a spice in the chop suey.(I'd had shrimp and other chinese foods many times before, but never chop suey.)

Yesterday, I ordered some popcorn shrimp from Long John Silvers, and had the same type of allergic reaction, so now I can only assume it was shrimp that I had the first reaction to.

The thing is, I never had a problem with eating shrimp before my tongue piercing, and I'm wondering how getting a tongue ring could have led to food allergies, or if it's just coincidental. Has anyone had/heard of a similar experience?
abdullah

Shaoxing, China

#2 Jan 2, 2009
i had the same thing as you today! i got pierced a month ago and i ate some shrimp and my tongue got all itchy and then it swelled up like a balloon! so i gargled with some salt water and it feels better now. but its still swollen. so i guess we should not eat any seafood for about a month more!
sarah

United States

#3 May 17, 2009
I just had a similar incident, I pierced my tongue about a month and a half ago and it healed nicely. I noticed with certain spices my tongue would have a bad taste to it. I just recently ate a mango and my tongue swelled up like a ballon and had a tingling sensation. I never had an allergic reaction to any food my entire life, well I just took some benadryl and I'm hoping it goes down.
paula oakland ms

Pinola, MS

#4 Feb 13, 2010
2-12-2010 i got my tongue periced about 2 weeks ago and i never had promblems eatin shrimps but after gettin my tongue periced it now swells so bad and i dont know what to do
LONDA

Tallahassee, FL

#5 Mar 17, 2011
i have an lip piercing at th bottom on the right side. i had it for a while bt i had lost my lip ring,so i didnt get a lip ring for a lil min so i thought it had closed bt when i got another lip ring a week ago it went throught ecept the back of my lip had closed back up. so i just pushed it through.it didnt hurt. so today i ate some shrimps. Then i started to realise my bottom lip was swelling on the side where its peirced at. After a while it got BIGGER and BIGGER! i thought maybe if i take the ring out it will go down. so i took it out and i just noticed nothing better have happened only worst, my whole right side of my jaw and bottom lip is swollen. UUUUGGGGHHHHHH WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE THE SWELLING GO DOWN? PLEASE HELP!
Lilmommalill

Guelph, Canada

#6 Aug 23, 2011
U ate two cherries- grrr, ive had my tongue done about 2 wks ago ... It got itchy started to burn.. So i did a bong took 2 benedryls 1 arius n 1 qwik release benedryl!!! Wow im freaking out i cant talk well see what happens!!
dr fungus says

Canberra, Australia

#7 Aug 25, 2011
why on earth would anyone want to have self inflicted wund which never heals and harbours dangerous bacteria which can kill it beats me there been some reports tongue piercing can cause brain infection meningitis is one of them
adriana

Chula Vista, CA

#8 Jan 31, 2012
ive had my tounge peirced since i was a freshman and now im a senior and my tounge still swells up wen i eat shrimp or salmon ...so i guess it kinda is not gunna go away ....but if you cant live without shrip and are willing to take out the peircing to eat it you will still haave to wait about a month for it to stop swelling :")after eating so i guess just carry some beadryl wit u at while eating these foods
adriana

Chula Vista, CA

#9 Jan 31, 2012
ooh and also lip peircings too i have snake bites and they swell up to and so beadryl guys :)
Lisa

Overland Park, KS

#10 Nov 7, 2013
Same thing happened to me, I had my tongue piercing about 3 weeks ago. I've never been allergic to shrimp but when I ate one today, the front of my tongue swelled up. Now its really hard to talk and I'm hoping it'll go down soon. I'm really hoping this isn't a permanent food allergy, because I really like seafood.
sophy

Hollywood, FL

#11 Apr 30, 2014
Ive had my lip piercing for two weeks and its een healing just fine but i just ate a mango and its swelling up so bad.i took some asprin and used listerin e,bactine,and i brushed now im going to gargle with salt water.its goin down a little but this has never happened before
Jack

Rabat, Morocco

#12 Aug 26, 2014
Same thing happened to me, I had my tongue piercing about 3 weeks ago. I've never been allergic to shrimp but when I ate one today, the front of my tongue swelled up. Now its really hard to talk and I'm hoping it'll go down soon. I'm really hoping this isn't a permanent food allergy, because I really like seafood.
http://www.myjourneywithallergy.com/allergy-t...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allergy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Makeup causing allergic reaction?? (Apr '07) Wed Suz 73
Allergic to silver Jewellery (Oct '07) Feb 14 Anonymous 27
Weird Allergic Reaction? (Jan '08) Jan '17 Sue 73
Allergies after smoking (Aug '06) Jan '17 hiitssan 127
Histamine intolerance (Sep '14) Jan '17 momof2cute 8
allergy worse when rains??? (Dec '08) Jan '17 Promolyrics 52
When your Dog has an Allergic reaction Dec '16 John 1
More from around the web