Allergy to nickel?

Since: Mar 11

New York

#1 Apr 22, 2011
Anyone here allergic to nickel?

Taguig, Philippines

#2 Jan 27, 2012
Allergy to nickel is a phenomenon which has assumed growing importance in recent years, largely because of the introduction of cheap fancy jewellery in which the underlying metal layer consists of nickel. 10 to 12% of the female population and 6% of the male population are estimated to be allergic to nickel. In fact the allergy is not caused by nickel itself but by the nickel salts which are formed under the effect of perspiration in contact with the piece of jewellery piece or watch. This phenomenon is always accompanied by corrosion of the object.(reference)
Nickel allergy on the lobe due to contact with nickel

degree of allergy varies. Some people develop dermatitis (also called eczema) from even brief contact with nickel-containing items, while others break out only after many years of skin contact with nickel. Some people develop intermittent or persistent eczema on their hands and feet. It is usually a blistering type of eczema, known as pompholyx. Sometimes it is due to contact with metal items containing nickel, but often there is no obvious reason for it. It has been suggested that in some, dyshidrotic hand dermatitis is due to nickel in the diet. Unfortunately it is not possible to avoid ingesting nickel as it is present in most foodstuffs. A low-nickel diet is only rarely helpful.

If you suffer from this type of allergy you should avoid contact with nickel-containing metals. Test your metal items to see if they contain nickel. Obtain a nickel-testing kit from your dermatologist or pharmacist. The kit consists of two small bottles of clear fluid. One contains dimethylglyoxime and the other ammonium hydroxide. When mixed together in the presence of nickel, a pink color results. Apply a drop from each bottle on to the metal item to be tested, first try it on a 10 cent coin. Use a cotton bud to rub gently - observe the color on the bud. If it remains clear, the item has no free nickel and will not cause dermatitis. If it is pink it contains nickel and may cause problems if the metal touches your skin. The chemicals will not harm your jewelry.

Ticonderoga, NY

#4 Dec 25, 2013
there is nickel in things more then just metal. foods is a big one. chocolate and nuts gets me all the time. my eyes break out with bad eczema.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allergy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Weird Allergic Reaction? (Jan '08) Mar 29 Vmmoeller 73
Allergies after smoking (Aug '06) Mar 29 Mystifies 129
I feel sick after loads of things!!!! (Nov '07) Mar 28 Holly Diem 7
List of histamine-rich foods/substances (Oct '15) Mar 28 Holly Diem 4
Strange Food Allergies? (Aug '08) Mar 28 Holly Diem 8
Alcohol and Histamine Intolerance (Sep '15) Mar 28 Holly Diem 6
Food Allergy (Sep '14) Mar 28 Holly Diem 13
More from around the web