Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome
Posted in the Allergy Forum
#1 May 3, 2011
Im in my early 30s and for over the last 10+ years have I been suffering bouts of fatigue, depression and muscular aches.
These bouts are triggered by an orgasm (which is somewhat embarrassing to admit).
It takes me about 5-7 days to recover from one, during which I feel tired or achy and miserable. The second and third day after an orgasm is the worst, where often I can feel ill or sometimes get a migraine. A week or two after one I feel good again.
Ive tried many different medications.
Abstinence is still the only preventative for me.
My symptoms seem identical to what is called ‘Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome’
POIS was first described in 2002 by Dr.Marcel Waldinger a professor of sexual psychopharmacology at Utrecht University in Holland.
Finally at start of 2011, Dr.Waldinger’s long-awaited study into POIS was published.It pointed to a semen allergy being the cause.
From press reports of the study:
For these studies, Waldinger and colleagues analyzed 45 Dutch men who were diagnosed with the illness.
33 of them agreed to undergo a standard skin-prick allergy test using a diluted form of their own semen. Of those, 29, or 88 percent, had a positive skin reaction indicating an auto-immune response, or allergic reaction.
[i]In a second study in the same journal, Waldinger’s team decided to try treating two of the volunteers with hyposensitization therapy—a well-known technique for treating allergies, also called allergen immunotherapy, which repeatedly exposes the body to small but gradually increasing amounts of the allergen over several years. the men were given skin injections containing their own semen, at first in an extremely dilute form, and then in gradually less diluted forms. The study’s results showed that after one and three years respectively, the men showed a significant reduction in their POIS symptoms.[/i]
some of the POIS sufferers on the POIS forum have already tested positive to the Skin Prick test.
Women, of course, who are allergic to their partner’s semen, have been treated with immunotherapy for years this way.
One of the leading doctors on semen allergies, Dr. Jonathan Bernstein University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, has taken interest in this study and condition. He agrees men can be allergic to their own semen as semen is a foreign substance that can cause an immune system response in either the man's or woman's body.
He is not sure about the reliability of the skinprick test, he instead does a bloodtest to find which specific proteins his patients are allergic to, and produces a serum based on the specific protein. For women, he has had 90% success with a one-day desensitization treatment of 30 injections.
With his first male POIS patient, they are currently waiting results of a comprehensive test of the patient's human immune system including all mediators - IgE, IgM, IgG, and T-Cells
to see if theres a semen link, with the plans to have the one-day injection treatment done on the patient.
I am looking to find an open, willing allergist to discuss my options,(but theres no semen allergy experts in UK that I am aware of.)
1) Simply, do you know how much a "comprehensive test of the patient's human immune system including all mediators - IgE, IgM, IgG, and T-Cells" costs in UK? It costs $2000 in america appararently
2) Is it possible to simply get this "comprehensive test" done and then getting going Sublingual Immunotherapy for ALL the proteins/allergens you prove to be allergic to? i.e can you get "SLIT" for multi-allergens?
This was an idea I had, sounds good to me, a UK doctor might not be able tell which is related to semen and which isnt, so surely dealing with them all is the best idea, assuming I am allergic to multi proteins. Even if Im not allergic to my semen then surely doing this would still boost my immune system, prehaps enough so the POIS will fade?
Sublingual therapy would be alot cheaper and practical for me
3) any ideas/thoughts what avenue i should go..
#2 May 5, 2011
Hang in there man. I've had POIS for about 4 years now and it is tough. I've been going on the POIS forums and have learned about some treatments that are giving me some relief such as fenugreek and garlic.
#3 Jul 25, 2011
i think iam suffering from the same symptoms but how exactly fenugreek and garlic to be used
#4 Aug 5, 2011
I have been facing almost the same symptoms for last 4 years now. To aadition to symptoms mentioned above, I see my hair falling fast in those 4-6 days and I have now started looking overaged than what I should look like at 27. Also I feel dry mouth and skin.
Can anyone highlight Dos and Donts and any specific cure, treatment or prevention to POIS.
#5 May 6, 2013
Here are some of the symptoms that i m experience:
Severe depression and fatigue
Intense heat in head and Achy body
No or Low energy and Sluggishness
Diarrhoea, Restless, Agitation
Anxiety/Nervousness and reduced ability to focus
#6 Apr 13, 2014
A bit late, but anyway, I hope someone will find it interesting.
I am now 53. At the age of 36 I started having problems after ejaculation. All I can say is that I have a mild form of POTS, it lasts exactly one day. I am good in research. So, I can confirm it must be either related to the immune system, to the brain, to hormones or a combination of all of them. When I once travelled to Paris, I had to move my suitcase and that of my girl friend to another track. I did it and 12 minutes after the train departed I thought I was going to die. My breathing was very short for 3 hours, I was pale and I though I was going to die. Most probably my blood pressure skyrocketed. However, I was very quiet, since I was extremely weak. Three hours later, all was back to normal. The day before that happend I had sex with my girl friend. I always sleep very badly the night I have had sex. The cardiologist could not find anything abnormal. So, the next day after sex, I should not make any efforts, it is dangerous. After many years triying to find out a solution, I have discovered that "cortisol, dopamine and metatanephrine" are high after sex. Actually dopamine should fall. This means the CNS is affected by orgasm. And this comes from the immune system. I have improved my situation through hard personal research and testing. Conclusion: I onced went to the allergologist and told him "I am allergic to wheat". How do you know, he said. Because I do not have a symtom after orgasm that I always had. I had quit eating bread for 2 months and the problem was gone. And it was true. However, there was another culprit: yogourth. Bifidus Bacterium in the yogourth had turn my gut very nervous over the past 17 years. After removing it from the diet, everything improved. After all, our gut contains more neurones than our brain. Just protect and handle your gut well. Therefore, everybody should check for allergies, intolerances and perform tests eliminating some foods the days they have sex. They may notice an improvement, because this way their immune system may be quieter. If a food is eaten frequently, simply remove it for quite a few days or even weeks. Good luck!!
#8 Sep 30, 2014
Hi I have POIS and have tried many alternatives that haven't really worked. Recently though a good friend of mine told me about something called Jamaican roots tonic. He told me about it and said it gives him nut power. Which Is what we call regaining our sperm count/sanity after not ejaculating and feeling strong and confident and not weak. I get it from a company called Roots Man and it contains a lot of different herb roots that aren't common to America. I tried it right before sex and it lessened my symptoms of POIS drastically and also drank it after. The best it to make it on your own though. It includes Sarsaparilla, strong back root, chaney root, search mi heart root, medina, cherry bark, man back root, blood wisp root. There are a few more too. Just look up Jamaican roots tonic recipes, or order it bottled. Try it, and if it dosen't work then at least you know you tried. It works wonders for me as well as calms my nerves down and helps me sleep better.
#9 Mar 10, 2015
POIS NATURAL HEALING:
I was lucky that I suffered from Post Orgasm Illness Syndrome for only 6 months until I found a natural way to heal myself on my own. I have searched everywhere online and have heard that POIS is not curable at the moment and that the only solution so far is to inject people with their own semen because doctors think that we are allergic to our own semen (I dont think that is the case or at least not in my case).
I AM NOT A DOCTOR so please do not rely on my advice 100%. Many of my statements probably arent 100% accurate but roughly I think they are correct and they did cure me from POIS. I have only been POIS free for the past 20 days (but I had orgasm every night and worked in my office 6 days a week, 11 hours a day - pretty tough on a body and yet NO POIS SYMPTOMS) so Im still not 100% sure that all of these things that Im naming here below work but I just really want to hurry and not wait longer and help people out there who still suffer. In case I do discover some more relevant knowledge about beating the POIS I will write back here or on some other blog UNDER MY BLOG NAME "DUKE0KNIGHT."
From what I have learned after trying for months to cure myself is that all my troubles originated in my stomach and my Adrenal Glands. The CURE was to REDUCE the amount of CORTISOL AND ADRENALIN in my body throughout the day and especially in the seconds immediately after my orgasm:
- too much stress raises the levels of cortisol and adrenalin
- if you are stressed all day long your levels of cortisol and adrenalin are high and your Adrenal Glands keep producing cortisol and adrenalin even during night (because they are used to producing it and just cant stop producing it that easily) so that is why many of us cant sleep well during night. I had NO IDEA that I had stress and I never believed in it. It just sound stupid to me but I learned that STRESS is very present in our lives and really damages our bodies.
- YOGA helped me a lot. I go to yoga 3 times a week. At first I didnt want to go to Yoga because its boring but after doing it 5 times I started recognizing how bad my breathing was and how stressed I actually was during the day. I believe that through correct breathing we reduce stress and therefore we REDUCE CORTISOL AND ADRENALIN which are the MAIN REASON FOR POIS. I also did Infra Red Sauna 20 times but I dont think it helped me that much.
- if you think about it the symptoms that you get after an orgasm (or at least thats how I feel) are very similar to the body feeling after a big stressful moment in life and/or very low immunity and/or getting a flu. THIS IS WHAT helped me realize that CORTISOL AND ADRENALIN are the main reasons for my POIS. Cortisol and Adrenalin are being excreted DURING ORGASM.
- the only natural ways of reducing Cortisol and Adrenalin I could google online that worked for me were:
#10 Mar 10, 2015
- A bunch of herbs that REDUCE Cortisol and Adrenalin and INCREASE MELATONIN (Melatonin is very important because it fights agains Cortisol and Adrenalin): HOLY BASIL LEAF, ST JOHS WORT, ASHWAGANDHA, MACA ROOT, KAVA, VALERIAN ROOT, REISHI MUSHROOM.
- make your room PITCH BLACK DARK when you sleep because that helps elevate the levels of MELATONIN. Melatonin is great and you need a lot of it to fight away Cortisol and Adrenalin. The sunlight or indoor light (bulbs, computers, cellphones, etc.) reduces Melatonin in our bodies and that is why we need to keep our bedrooms very dark (cover windows, cover door holes, and take out computers and cellphones or at least put them further away from your bed).
- try having 8-9 hours of sleep and try falling asleep BEFORE 12AM because Melatonin is being produced I think starting at 10pm so you dont want to miss those hours being awake.
- Immediately after orgasm (literally a second after you have an orgasm start doing heavy Yoga style breathing to reduce the excretion of Cortisol and Adrenalin. Try to relax your entire body by breathing and reducing the Cortisol and Adrenalin excretion. During orgasm Cortisol and Adrenalin are being excreted and that is BAD. Im not sure about this breathing thing but I think that it does help me. The thing is that the moment I realized that it is Cortisol and Adrenalin what causes my POIS I hit Cortisol and Adrenalin from all sides with multiple approaches (Yoga, herbs, sleeping on time and for 8-9 hours, breathing after orgasm, etc.) so now I dont know which one of them are actually working and which ones arent that important.
Final thing that I did was get a nutritionist to help me. Im not sure how instrumental she was but she definitely helped me with my stomach issues. Bad stomach issues can also lead to STRESS in your body and we all know now that STRESS EQUALS CORTISOL AND ADRENALIN.
After doing hair mineral test, blood micronutrient test and blood spot test (this is the list of those tests but I think you can do it through any other company that does the same thing: arlok dot com, greatplainslaboratory dot com/home/, spectracell dot com) she has shown me that there were multiple imbalances in my body (for example I had too much copper, aluminum and mercury, lack of zinc, etc.) and taught me how to eat well. Her website is: nourishholisticnutrition dot com but you can also go to any other legit natural healing nutritionist and Im sure they will be helpful.
I REALLY hope that some of you will be cured from POIS by following my advice.
Please, email me at duke0knight AT gmail DOT com if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them.
#11 Jul 4, 2015
I swear i was looking for a comment like this for a hear i am 18and suffered alot of stress and depression and social anexiety i never had these symptoms and then pois came in the way so i didnt know how to deal or never knew the causes thanks i appreciate this very very much sorry for my english
Add your comments below
|Natural Allergy Treatment (May '12)||6 hr||Jack||6|
|Warm weather triggers early allergy season (Mar '12)||Aug 19||kenpaul00||4|
|Strange Food Allergies? (Aug '08)||Aug 15||7even_eleven||4|
|Amish farm kids have lower asthma, allergy risk (Mar '12)||Aug 13||paulmall||7|
|allergy worse when rains??? (Dec '08)||Aug 6||KHM||42|
|I feel sick after loads of things!!!! (Nov '07)||Jul '15||Sarah||5|
|Hypoallergenic pets: An answer for animal lover...||Jul '15||Gus Chiggins||1|
Find what you want!
Search Allergy Forum Now
Copyright © 2015 Topix LLC