Pill may help you stop drinking, smoking

There are 47 comments on the AM New York story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Pill may help you stop drinking, smoking. In it, AM New York reports that:

The urge for booze may soon be dissolved by a new pill that has already helped free smokers of the urge to puff.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at AM New York.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
amNewYork

Chicago, IL

#1 Jul 10, 2007
Is the 'anti-addiction' pill something you'd use?

“The Truth...COME ON DOWN!”

Since: Apr 07

Yourtown, USA

#2 Jul 11, 2007
Yeah for smoking but not for weed smoking
Joan

Ridgewood, NY

#3 Jul 11, 2007
This new pill chantix, to help you stop smoking and deter drinking, is nothing new to my two friends and I. We all stop smoking and drinking,by using Zyban. We were so happy. We were all laughing and saying, we killed two birds with one storn.
Scott

New York, NY

#4 Jul 11, 2007
I started using Chantix 2 weeks ago, and I have to say that it really works, I don"t have any cravings for a smoke. I used to smoke 2 packs a day for 15 years.
just candid

AOL

#5 Jul 11, 2007
Scott wrote:
I started using Chantix 2 weeks ago, and I have to say that it really works, I don"t have any cravings for a smoke. I used to smoke 2 packs a day for 15 years.
Sounds Great! Do you have side effects or see any downside to its use? Also do you have any idea how long you will need to use it?
MRC

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Jul 11, 2007
I have finished the 12 weeks of Chantix and have not smoked in over 100 days.
This pill works. I smoked a pack a day for almost 20 years.
Nemo827

Vincentown, NJ

#7 Jul 16, 2007
amNewYork wrote:
Is the 'anti-addiction' pill something you'd use?
Yes I use CHANTIX I quit smoking within 4 days I have been a smoker for over 20 years... Now the great part of this drug is I also stopped drinking I was a heavy drinker for over ten years and stopped... I feel great two habits gone for the price of one...
I have even been to a wedding and didn't want to drink or smoke.!!!
grimmee

Beverly, MA

#8 Aug 13, 2007
Nemo827 - Thank you for that confirmation. My cousin and her husband stopped smoking with Chantix eariler in the spring. My husband has picked up his prescription of Chantix and has chosen 8-25 as his quit date. He is also a heavy (12 pk a night) beer drinker and was hoping that the Chantix would take care of that addiction also. An answer to both of our prayers.

“God Always Looks The Other Way”

Since: Aug 07

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Aug 14, 2007
Don Pardo wrote:
Yeah for smoking but not for weed smoking
Why would you want to stop smoking weed?
Jen123

United States

#11 Sep 26, 2007
I was wondering how long it took on Chantix for the alcohol cravings to subside. I started taking it two days ago. I really would like to slow down on the drinking along with quitting smoking.
Jen123

United States

#12 Sep 26, 2007
oops double post
drew

Pottstown, PA

#13 Oct 23, 2007
i used chantix 10 months ago and have been smoke free ever since. It also has helped me with my drinking , i used to drink rather large quantities of alcohol roughly 10-12 shots of vodka or such per night, now i find myself having problems even trying to just sit down and have 1 or 2 drinks.It really has just become unenjoyable
John

Lubbock, TX

#14 Oct 26, 2007
I have been taking chantix since 9/1/07. Stopped smoking on the 8th day and have not wanted one since. Also I would like to add that I was to have major surgery this week, but when the doctor learned that I consume about 2 liters of wine daily, she said noway until you are off alcohol for two weeks. I stopped 3 days ago and do not even want a drink. Thanks Chantix. John in New Mexico...

Showing posts 1 - 1 of 1
Robyn

Dayton, OH

#15 Nov 7, 2007
I have lupus and autoimmune heptitis (liver) I am on alot of meds for these and I want to stop drinking all together and have found it difficult at times. Not an everyday drinker but still have the urge to do so on a regular basis. Does anyone know what the side effects or drug interactions are to antabuse?
The Hornet

Glasgow, KY

#16 Nov 7, 2007
what a sh8tty pill
OneHundredTon

Sandersville, GA

#17 Nov 7, 2007
TastyPaper wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you want to stop smoking weed?
Hehe, exactly.

I say screw the pill. Marijuana can help take away the urges for alcohol and cigarettes, too!
Tina C

Lakeland, FL

#19 Nov 8, 2007
Chantix did the same for DH and I- no urge to smoke or drink. We had to get off after 6 weeks though because of the side effects.

“Just Say No to Smoking Bans”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#20 Nov 8, 2007
Tina C wrote:
Chantix did the same for DH and I- no urge to smoke or drink. We had to get off after 6 weeks though because of the side effects.
What were the side effects?

“Just Say No to Smoking Bans”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#22 Nov 9, 2007
black_talk_kansas wrote:
I have asthma and I smoke about a pack and a half a day. I just received my first Chantix starter kit today. As I were reading the side effects of it. Their not all that bad. The most common side effects are:(nausea 30%),(trouble sleeping),(changes in dreaming),(constipation),(gas) ,(and/or vomiting).
Good luck to you!! Those side effects are preferable
to asthma, so I wish you the very best.
Corey

Oakland Gardens, NY

#23 Nov 9, 2007
How much does it cost and how long did it start to take effect? Any age limitations or health restrictions? Who is the manufacturer?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alcoholism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Urine tests for alcohol on probation (Jan '11) 1 hr concerned civilian 1,431
News Topamax Reduces Number Of Monthly Migraine Days... (Aug '06) 9 hr Stella johnson 256
SAMHSA Warning on the etg/ets alcohol test Tue R fuller 4
False positives on etg for alcohol (Jul '13) Mon R fuller 20
Help with surviving alcohol addiction. Apr 28 ronaldgeller 1
News Winehouse family criticizes 'misleading' movie ... Apr 27 indict JIM INHOFE 1
News Battle stress may lead to misconduct (Jul '07) Apr 21 VictorF 19
More from around the web