Does Mady Gosselin Need Discipline, o...

Does Mady Gosselin Need Discipline, or a Diagnosis?

There are 215 comments on the specialchildren.about.com story from Mar 5, 2009, titled Does Mady Gosselin Need Discipline, or a Diagnosis?. In it, specialchildren.about.com reports that:

My daughter's been watching a lot of Jon & Kate Plus 8 on TLC lately, and one kid who's caught my eye is Mady, one of twin big sisters to a group of sextuplets.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at specialchildren.about.com.

Grace

Victoria, TX

#189 Oct 11, 2009
I can't believe people are saying, "She's just a kid, that's what they do!". Its things like this make me wonder if my nieces and nephews are just exceptionally well behaved or if Mady and the kids I see in grocery stores and the mall are just little monsters with lazy parents. In no way is it acceptable for a child over the age of 3 or 4 to be throwing tantrums. I have 9 nieces and nephews between the ages of 2 and 13 and I don't know how we'd even react to seeing a 9 year old cry and whine and stomp around like a toddler. Also, Cara is going through the same things as Mady and she generally acts her age. So what's Mady's excuse?
Fran

Muswellbrook, Australia

#190 Oct 28, 2009
Mady is a brat.
No more spoilt then the others, but wants attention. Always refers to the family of 4
That is because Mady is more dominant in personality then Cara and can be the centre of attention. Mady wants to be the centre of the attention all of the time. That just can't happen. It would make no difference if Kate had brought home 1 child or 6. Mady just doesn't like to share things.
Maggie

Bronx, NY

#191 Nov 13, 2009
I may be a little late in responding as I just found this board.
Mady is an awful human being-end of story. I don't care what her age is...true kindness and compassion shows itself when present and under no uncertain terms do they appear to be qualities in this person. She is spiteful, mean-spirited and hateful. Not to mention sneaky (Think of the episodes the camera crew caught her hitting and/or pushing the little kids).
What's so sad to me is poor Cara having to deal with a psychotic sister..and I'm scared for the little ones if this behavior from Mady is allowed to be continued. Someone is going to get seriously hurt by the hand of this kid. Her age should not be used as the rationalization for her behavior...and if thats what her parents are hiding behind, I ask them what age do you start modifying the behavior? It won't work if at 15 years of age you try to instill some values. It shouldve started years ago.
I'm not sure if this kid needs her ass kicked or a parole officer...but I do know she needs SOMETHING...and quick for the safety of her siblings.
Long time Utican

Manlius, NY

#192 Nov 13, 2009
Mady should have been taught years ago that she is part of a family of 8 - not just her.

I brought up 4 children on my own, and have helped my own daughter who is a Single Parent bring up her 4 children. We have stressed "helping out" and being considerate towards one another and the importance of "family". When you instill these thoughts to children at an early age, they grow up liking and loving each other - not hating each other. Mady thinks and acts that HER wishes and wants & needs are more important than anyone elses are - she is dead wrong.

More families should do this.

“I miss you lil bro”

Since: Apr 09

Vegas baby

#193 Nov 13, 2009
I have seen kids act worse than Mady could ever be,shocking I know but parents today give in for fear of their spoiled brats calling cps claiming parental abuse.
Nicki_

Spring, TX

#194 Nov 14, 2009
calibrat wrote:
I have seen kids act worse than Mady could ever be,shocking I know but parents today give in for fear of their spoiled brats calling cps claiming parental abuse.
It actually happened to a mom I knew. Someone turned her in or her kids went to school and wrote things in journals such that the school was forced to call CPS. They came to her home repeatedly.
Then they just abruptly up and moved out of state. If kids go to school and talk to a teacher or other staff about things going on at home, they are required to report to CPS. Maybe K8's kids are too dull to figure out that is an option or they are afraid they would be like the Little Match Girl if they went against mommy.

I did read in a Christian book that if you use the rod/spank even with your hand, you should do it in private and that they don't consider it abuse. They consider it discipline. Apparently, her childhood has come back to roost and she is raising her kids as she was raised even though she doesn't agree with her parents or let them in their kids' lives. Maybe she thinks she is Angelina Jolie or Jennifer Anniston or Tori Spelling, all of whom have had issues with their parents or have been estranged.

Jon claims that the show is scripted and that they had to rehearse lines and responses. Maybe Mady is just doing as she is told. K8 didn't seem worried when the little kids tattled on Mady, so maybe she knew it was staged, like a wrestling match. All fake for the cameras.
Long time Utican

Manlius, NY

#195 Nov 14, 2009
Nicki - you are right about CPS. I had to take Custody of my GD when she was 14 because of her Mom's illness. This GD is named after me and we have always been extremely close - but that didn't stop her from going thru the teenage rebellion years!

I was raised by a Mother from North Carolina who believed in the Southern style of manners - respect and NO talking back. This is also how I raised my children AND my influence on my Grandchildren.

But - my 14 year old GD started the talking back and disobeying MY house rules. I called CPS and they sent over a Supervisor who sat down with me AND my GD. I asked the question "Exactly what is child abuse"? This Supervisor told me it would consist of a broken bone, open wounds (such as a cigarette burn) or bruises left from a beating.

When I asked if "slapping a teenager's mouth for talking back" constituted child abuse - the Supervisor laughed and said "NO"!!!!

Then I looked at my teenager GD and said "See - now start watching that sassy mouth of yours".

From that day on, she never talked back to me again - LOL.

She is now 19 years old, engaged to a wonderful boy who treats her like a Queen, and back home living with her Mom. We still are "Best Friends".

Moral of this story - parents (even those with Custody) need to act like parents - NOT buddies.

“I miss you lil bro”

Since: Apr 09

Vegas baby

#196 Nov 14, 2009
I wonder if the "Supernanny" brats are real or not.
I never watched that show until last night..Man that brat *&^%$#
Shapely_Tex

Spring, TX

#197 Apr 13, 2010
Long time Utican wrote:
Mady should have been taught years ago that she is part of a family of 8 - not just her.
I brought up 4 children on my own, and have helped my own daughter who is a Single Parent bring up her 4 children. We have stressed "helping out" and being considerate towards one another and the importance of "family". When you instill these thoughts to children at an early age, they grow up liking and loving each other - not hating each other. Mady thinks and acts that HER wishes and wants & needs are more important than anyone elses are - she is dead wrong.
More families should do this.
Honestly, I don't think "K" can handle being a mom anymore and is going to let the nannies raise them while she makes a living for them. She's not the only mom out there who is doing this, so it is an observation, not a judgment. How old are the twins now? In the blink of an eye, they'll be off to college or married or on their own and she may wish she had spent more time with them. Then again, maybe she won't. Perhaps she should let Jon "raise" them as long as he has a few nannies to keep him in line. Maybe they should go with Mannies who could double as bodyguards.
K8 is H8ful

Spring, TX

#198 May 21, 2010
MShortt wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither of them disciplines any of the kids other than to say go sit ...But I have noticed that Jon is really rough handling the little kids sometimes. Maybe that's his way of disciplining .
K's way is to buy them more junk like all of those toy cars so that they will go off and leave her alone.
I guess the crooked houses lost their appeal. So will the cars. I'm surprised she hasn't installed
a game room or something like the Duggars have so the kids can play indoors and out. You don't see the Duggar kids acting the way the Gosselins do though, not even when they had to move out of their large home into a smaller one. They also know how to play outside or make up games that don't cost a bunch of bucks like all the junk K thinks her kids have to have.
Stargirl Bucks

Spring, TX

#199 Jun 6, 2010
Carol wrote:
Mady definitely should be seeing a counselor. Anyone who continually "acts out" needs the opportunity to be able to learn how to deal with her feelings. How truly unhappy this little girl must be.
Her continual abuse of the younger children is not acceptable even though she is probably doing what she learned. The whole family should be in some kind of counseling or at least be seen by a social worker or maybe get some support from a church, etc.
33 mom of 3

Fair Oaks, CA

#200 Jun 12, 2010
I think it's pretty obvious that Mady resents the shift of attention away from her and Kara (twins are an anomily and generally get alot of attention)and towards the even bigger anomily of sextuplets..who can compete with that? Her repeated eye-rolling; sarcastic remaks, etc. look like text book sibling rivalry. But this is bigger than most kids deal with..this is "times 6". Her personality would probably struggled with one new baby taking attention away from her...let alone SIX. I think family couseling is in order..not saying it's the parent's fault, but she is obviously struggling to adjust.
33 mom of 3

Fair Oaks, CA

#201 Jun 12, 2010
I worry more about the other twin Kara, who keeps her feelings in...still waters run deep!
Shapelier_

Spring, TX

#203 Jun 19, 2010
Grace wrote:
I can't believe people are saying, "She's just a kid, that's what they do!". Its things like this make me wonder if my nieces and nephews are just exceptionally well behaved or if Mady and the kids I see in grocery stores and the mall are just little monsters with lazy parents. In no way is it acceptable for a child over the age of 3 or 4 to be throwing tantrums. I have 9 nieces and nephews between the ages of 2 and 13 and I don't know how we'd even react to seeing a 9 year old cry and whine and stomp around like a toddler. Also, Cara is going through the same things as Mady and she generally acts her age. So what's Mady's excuse?
http://specialchildren.about.com/b/2009/03/05...

They could take the older girls off and send them to be with their dad when they are filming. No one would care or notice. There are other "stars" like Brandy who refuse to have their child on the show. She just acts like she doesn't have a child which is also kind of bizarre. Not sure about her brother.
I just happened to see them on a few times. I didn't realize her and her brother were in their late 20's or early 30's. K8 makes a big deal out of the twins being at the "top of their class" but what does that mean in a private school? She is paying them. Of course they are going to make it seem like it is worth the 20,000 or so per child the school charges.
MADY and CARA

Durham, NC

#205 Jul 10, 2010
I think the names are so appropriate. Mady is always mad. I call her bratty mady. Cara seems very caring.
Amanda

O Fallon, MO

#206 Jul 23, 2010
I don't think Mady Gosselin's rudeness has anything to do with her being jealous of her siblings because her meltdowns usually have nothing to do with her brothers and sisters. For example,when she threw a fit when she came home from school on her 7th birthday and when she cried when she learned she was getting larger than average puppies. It's one thing if she has some sort of medical disorder but i think she is just an undisciplined very unhappy little girl.The only feel bad for her because of her horrible nationwide reputation. But i guess she earned the reputation herself so she'll have to deal with the negative thoughts and words of people all over the country.
micha

Trenton, NJ

#207 Jul 26, 2010
Mady is just a little Kate....that's all. genetically, one or more of the kids will inherit some of Kate's genes. she does not need therapy... the only thing someone needs to do to help Mady is to make her watch and hear her mom's voice carefully and she will know that its something really despicable and not to take up on. if Mady will not change, few more years she will be as mean and as condescending talker as Kate.
Seven Eleven

Spring, TX

#208 Aug 16, 2010
33 mom of 3 wrote:
I worry more about the other twin Kara, who keeps her feelings in...still waters run deep!
Will K8 give them multiple birthday parties when they turn 10 or however old they are? Will she have a special episode on the day they find blood in their underwear and she goes to a discount store and buys 50 boxes of pads and stores them in the basement? She is an organized hoarder. Is this mental illness from when they were so poor such that now that she has the money, she has to buy everything to last a year. Maybe she's a closet Mormon? j/k I should really find someone else to "follow"...
The real housewives of New Jersey go to Italy. That will be on Bravo. Is it tonight?
Pearl Deana Tullsa OK

Weymouth, MA

#209 Apr 13, 2012
She is an evil little girl. They need to teach her not to hurt kids half her age otherwise she will think it's o.k. to push people around and next thing that girl knows is she pushes the wrong person and they kick her spoiled little ass. That's what happend to my cousin when we were kids and when he was beaten black and blue by some a hood, he was never a rotten little brat again.
Bryan
#210 Sep 24, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

ADHD Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How is Adult ADHD treated with medications? Jun 15 Humanspirit 4
Have Vyvanse 30,40,50, 70mg and dextrostat 5mg ... (Mar '09) Jun 1 secret_Carlsbad_drgs 29
News Commentary: Fidget toys aren't just hype May '17 Guest 1
Synaptol (Jan '07) May '17 Ktomasz 654
News Online mental health assessment for young people May '17 Humanspirit 2
News On my mind: The dilemma of treating ADHD in chi... Apr '17 Humanspirit 1
News Do You Zone Out? Procrastinate? Might Be Adult ... Apr '17 Humanspirit 1
More from around the web