Living with the long-term consequence...

Living with the long-term consequences of cancer treatment

There are 2 comments on the The Guardian story from Jul 16, 2013, titled Living with the long-term consequences of cancer treatment. In it, The Guardian reports that:

There are 400,000 people alive up to 20 years after diagnosis. But not all return to full health once treatment is over, and they need support 'GPs must be better equipped to monitor and recognise the potential long-term consequences of cancer treatment.'

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Guardian.

Since: Mar 12

#1 Jul 16, 2013
This is so true - cured but at what cost.
Of course, the treatments save lives, but it often does seem the case that people (including GPs) think you should just be grateful for that and don't want to know about how you feel or how it has effected your physical and mental health long-term. Thank you to McMillan and other charities for acknowledging this. Although it would be nice if more of the professional members of the cancer team did so as well.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#2 Jul 17, 2013
those professonals that don't ask?
may be in it for the money, its a business to them,(and Yes there are Some doctors like that)
or it could be they just don't want to get too emotionally involved, they try to think of it as their "job" and they need to think like a professional and not as the patients best friend.

or maybe they just feel the patient needs some space away from all of the "sickness" days of their life, so maybe they are showing some compassion for that patient.

anyway u want to look at it, people in general don't want to talk about any kind of sickness that could possibly bring on a persons death, that's true for Both the patient and those people who know that person. its not that they don't care, its human nature, it makes them think about things that they don't want to think about.
some doctors actually Are human too..

I wouldn't hold it against a doctor who doesn't stay involved after treatments, if that bothered me, I just wouldn't go back to him..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 'generic' version of this popular drug coul... 4 hr Larr 4
Esophagus Spasm - How my mom STOPS her Esophage... (May '12) 4 hr Lillian 236
News UNESCO Is Too Far Gone To Save 4 hr Jew by birth 2
News 6 things you need to know about getting the flu... 5 hr Up Your Flue - Ma... 2
News Flu shot available at doctors' offices, pharmac... 7 hr Could kill u 2 1
Anyone used the sunburst hair series product fo... (Aug '13) 8 hr Gabuyiries 105
News Study: 2 diet drinks a day could double risk of... 8 hr AmeriBev 1
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 23 hr Amber 6,985
More from around the web