Nikolay Gogol

Nikolay Gogol

There are 424 comments on the BIO story from Mar 19, 2012, titled Nikolay Gogol. In it, BIO reports that:

Russian novelist Nikolay Gogol's best-known work is the 1842 novel Dead Souls . A fanatical priest convinced him to burn the second volume in 1852.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BIO.

“UG X”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#234 Mar 24, 2012
hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>Ukraine to your information means "outskirts" in Russian - hardly a name for a country...Bugt you have not answered my question - maybe not a psychologist, doesn't matter - you claimed doing a research and explaned your presence on this forum by that - so if you write an article in a foreighn or international magazine- are you mentioned in resume there as a British (psychologist, historian, whoever you are) or....?That exactly corresponds to Gogol - how he should be mentioned...
What ever the hell it means in ruSSian, there was no ruSSia when Ukraine was named. And the word means in Ukrainian and RUS'language okraina- kraina- country!!!

“UG X”

Location hidden

#235 Mar 24, 2012
hmmmm wrote:
they say all lectures in mathematics, physics chemistry and biology are in Russian in Kiev Univercity - it is because Ukrainians have not enough words in their language to be able to explain physical phenomena or mathematical abstractions in Ukrainian...but for agreecultural needs Ukrainian language is perfect.
is that what they are telling you in ruSSia? LOL! You poor bastards. you are so primitive and naive, believing such crap. HA HA HA! Not enough words. HA HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

“UG X”

Location hidden

#236 Mar 24, 2012
Annie wrote:
<quoted text>
It's more likely that it is because a high proportion of the population in Kiev is Russian.
Its simply because Kyiv was russified as the Eastern Ukraine

“UG X”

Location hidden

#237 Mar 24, 2012
M_A_X_I_M wrote:
<quoted text>
Your comparision Ukraine with Scotland is irrelevant. Scotland is independent state till 1707. Ukraine never had its independence.
Atty, please don't call serfs cossacks!
It's visibly you forgot that most popular Ukrainian Poet Taras Shevchenko was a serf. His owner was landlord Engelgard Pavel Vasilevich. Freedom gave him Russians Venecianov, Brullov and Zhukovskiy.
that is beside the point. The point is that Ukraine was already on the maps in 15 century, LONG before RuSSia.
Annie

Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK

#238 Mar 24, 2012
ana 8 wrote:
<quoted text>Its simply because Kyiv was russified as the Eastern Ukraine
I thought lots of Russians moved in when it was Soviet and don't want to move back, much in the same way as in Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia?
Annie

Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK

#239 Mar 24, 2012
Anyway I think everyone has now accepted that Gogol was for all intents and purposes Ukrainian.

“UG X”

Location hidden

#240 Mar 24, 2012
M_A_X_I_M wrote:
<quoted text>
Your comparision Ukraine with Scotland is irrelevant. Scotland is independent state till 1707. Ukraine never had its independence.
Atty, please don't call serfs cossacks!
It's visibly you forgot that most popular Ukrainian Poet Taras Shevchenko was a serf. His owner was landlord Engelgard Pavel Vasilevich. Freedom gave him Russians Venecianov, Brullov and Zhukovskiy.
Surely,Ukrainians were forced into serfdom but only physically. Spiritually Ukrainians were always free thats why they never accepted the dominance of Muscovy.
Muscovites , on the other hand, were always slaves spiritually and physically even today. And this is a major genome that sets those two nations apart.
hmmmm

Saint Petersburg, Russia

#241 Mar 24, 2012
Annie wrote:
Anyway I think everyone has now accepted that Gogol was for all intents and purposes Ukrainian.
actually for "intents and purposes" he was a Russian writer as intents and purposes are revealed exactly in the legasy of a person and which ideology he pushed - using contemporary words Gogol was a Russian "federealist", not Ukrainain separatist (for example Shevchenko (another great poet) was a Ukrainian separatist both ideologically and also he wrote in Ukrainian language in contrast to Gogol). Ethnically Gogol was ofcource halpg Polish halph Ukrainain - but "for all intents and purposes" he was a Russian writer.

“UG X”

Location hidden

#242 Mar 24, 2012
Annie wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought lots of Russians moved in when it was Soviet and don't want to move back, much in the same way as in Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia?
They did. In big numbers but russification policies were set in Ukrainian schools. Many of them were closed or turned into russian. Ukrainian literature were destroyed and ukrainian "prosvitas", were closed. Also Ukrainian church was substituted with russian. Ukrainian catholic church went underground all together.
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#243 Mar 24, 2012
ana 8 wrote:
<quoted text>They did. In big numbers but russification policies were set in Ukrainian schools. Many of them were closed or turned into russian. Ukrainian literature were destroyed and ukrainian "prosvitas", were closed. Also Ukrainian church was substituted with russian. Ukrainian catholic church went underground all together.
One would still say ukrainians were better off under russian rule than estonians or tatars, yes. Russian communist have you important Crimea. What did they left to Estonia? AIDS infested Narva?
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#244 Mar 24, 2012
I meant gave you Crimea. Ukrainians of course formed a big part of the population but Nikita was not forced to give it up. Crimean people were not demanding Nikita to give it to the Ukrainian SSR as far as I know of.
Philip Allchurch

Calgary, Canada

#245 Mar 24, 2012
hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>actually for "intents and purposes" he was a Russian writer as intents and purposes are revealed exactly in the legasy of a person and which ideology he pushed - using contemporary words Gogol was a Russian "federealist", not Ukrainain separatist (for example Shevchenko (another great poet) was a Ukrainian separatist both ideologically and also he wrote in Ukrainian language in contrast to Gogol). Ethnically Gogol was ofcource halpg Polish halph Ukrainain - but "for all intents and purposes" he was a Russian writer.
That is why there is still a statue of Taras Shevchenko, in front of the Hotel Ukraina in Moscow, Russia with the Inscription Taras Shevchenko.... Great Russian - Ukrainian Poet , born in Ukraine. Now is that a seperatist or what ???? Taras Shevchenko, did much of his great works in St Petersberg and also wrote in Russian . The Russkis and Ukies both consider him their poet. As to Gogol.... slavs from Poland , Ukraine and Russia are pretty similar.... they are big hearted emotional people, but they are not disciplined or goal oriented, and not that interested in intellectual pursuits, so they are always historically led and controlled by the more aggressive nations.... by Germans, Jews, and Swedes during the whole history of the Russian Empire.The Slavs just are always in a subordinate position it seems.Whether someone is Ukrainian , Russian , Belarusian or Polish , is a distinction without a difference.It depends on where the boundary line was drawn and a few little accent differences really. The Eastern Slavs are all pretty much the same folks culturally, historically and genetically and are all related historically in any event.The Slavs are really nice, friendly people.... but not in the forefront of history yet, and not very motivated to pursue money , wealth or fame or the common comforts of good housing and sanitation.....The Eastern Slavs should learn to try to cooperate with each other more, and to drink and fight less, and try to create better living conditions for themselves as Ukraine , Russia , Belarus are third world level countries, and are numbers 1,2,3, as the most corrupt countries in Europe according to the IMF and World Bank.So they live in a third world condition with poor housing, sanitation, corrupt officials,, much worse than in the rest of Europe. That is a real problem . The other nutty stuff.... Gogol is a Polak or a Ukie or Russki is a joke and interesting to discuss but quite irrelevant to those countries today. All those three former CIS countries are going down the tube, together it seems.They are all financially broke.

“UG X”

Location hidden

#246 Mar 24, 2012
hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>if you do that and start to write pro-Russian books in Russian language,-it will make you a Russian writer with Ukrainian routes
The nineteenth-century author Nikolai Gogol occupies a key place in the Russian cultural pantheon as an ardent champion of Russian nationalism. Indeed, he created the nation's most famous literary icon: Russia as a rushing carriage, full of elemental energy and limitless potential.

In a pathbreaking book, Edyta Bojanowska topples the foundations of this russocentric myth of the Ukrainian-born writer, a myth that has also dominated his Western image. She reveals Gogol's creative engagement with Ukrainian nationalism and calls attention to the subversive irony and ambiguity in his writings on Russian themes. While in early writings Gogol endowed Ukraine with cultural wholeness and a heroic past, his Russia appears bleak and fractured. Russian readers resented this unflattering contrast and called upon him to produce a brighter vision of Russia. Gogol struggled to satisfy their demands but ultimately failed.

“UG X”

Location hidden

#247 Mar 24, 2012
Edyta Bojanowska confronts head-on a fundamental anomaly: Nikolai Gogol was a Ukrainian, but he became a great Russian writer. She shows how Gogol, throughout his literary career, was deeply torn between his identity as a Ukrainian and his commitment to be a Russian writer. It was his mission to sear Russian hearts with his message of truth and righteousness and show them the way to purify their souls. But his Ukrainian heart was never really in it; he didn't like Russia or believe in it. This is an illuminating, impressive, and original work by a very talented scholar.
--Hugh McLean, University of California, Berkeley
Pro Ukraine

UK

#248 Mar 24, 2012
hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>actually for "intents and purposes" he was a Russian writer as intents and purposes are revealed exactly in the legasy of a person and which ideology he pushed - using contemporary words Gogol was a Russian "federealist", not Ukrainain separatist (for example Shevchenko (another great poet) was a Ukrainian separatist both ideologically and also he wrote in Ukrainian language in contrast to Gogol). Ethnically Gogol was ofcource halpg Polish halph Ukrainain - but "for all intents and purposes" he was a Russian writer.
Writing in Russian or his political views does not make him a Russian writer, he was Ukrainian.

“UG X”

Location hidden

#250 Mar 24, 2012
Lukashenko is Dr Phil wrote:
I meant gave you Crimea. Ukrainians of course formed a big part of the population but Nikita was not forced to give it up. Crimean people were not demanding Nikita to give it to the Ukrainian SSR as far as I know of.
Crimea wasn't ruSSia's to give. Crimean history didn't begin with ruSSia and didn't end on it.

“UG X”

Location hidden

#251 Mar 24, 2012
hmmmm wrote:
He tried to become a russian writer and miserably failed. Just read what exactly he writes about Russia and then compare it to his writing about Ukraine.
Its as if he despised Russia with all his heart.
When his writing about Ukraine is filled with joy and sweetest memories about ukrainian traditions , songs and people, Russia is a dark place with miserable people and depressing social environment.

“UG X”

Location hidden

#252 Mar 24, 2012
hmmmm wrote:
His whole life was, to a certain extent, a spiritual resistance. One does not have to do a lot of research to discover the manifestations of this resistance — reading his letters to his close friend, Mykhaylo Maksymovych (first president of St Volodymyr’s University in Kyiv — tr.) will immediately reveal many instances of it:“Let’s get the hell out of this Katsapiya (Ukrainian derogatory term for Russia — tr.) and go back to Kyiv… Who are we working for here?”
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#253 Mar 24, 2012
ana 8 wrote:
<quoted text>Crimea wasn't ruSSia's to give. Crimean history didn't begin with ruSSia and didn't end on it.
Well perhaps it was ordinary ukrainians and tatar turks who inhabited it and perhaps Stalin's purges might have russified the place a bit but Nikita still did a favor on Ukraine. He could have just as easily let it stay with Russia. Don't get me wrong. I don't doubt Nikita Kruschev's territorial policies because I would be a hypocrite since he also made concessions to us as well. Man also did a huge favor for Austria. No wonder the russians hate him. Any death he might have caused in his younger years was because he had to murder in order to impress his superiors. He also executed Beria. Beria would have led the country after Stalin had Nikita not been there. The others were far too weak to oppose Beria. Mikoyan for instance could have never led post-Stalin USSR.

“UG X”

Location hidden

#254 Mar 24, 2012
Lukashenko is Dr Phil wrote:
<quoted text>
Well perhaps it was ordinary ukrainians and tatar turks who inhabited it and perhaps Stalin's purges might have russified the place a bit but Nikita still did a favor on Ukraine. He could have just as easily let it stay with Russia. Don't get me wrong. I don't doubt Nikita Kruschev's territorial policies because I would be a hypocrite since he also made concessions to us as well. Man also did a huge favor for Austria. No wonder the russians hate him. Any death he might have caused in his younger years was because he had to murder in order to impress his superiors. He also executed Beria. Beria would have led the country after Stalin had Nikita not been there. The others were far too weak to oppose Beria. Mikoyan for instance could have never led post-Stalin USSR.
Krushchev joined Crimea to Ukraine because Crimea in every way was a natural extension of Ukraine. It was Ukrainians who rebuilt Crimea after the WW2.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: Wendy Davis calls abortion ruling g... 1 hr Far Away 1
abu dhabi romantic massage service 1 hr nicole 4
News Supreme Court strikes down Texas abortion clini... 3 hr Go Blue Forever 22
News Grotesque Anti-Smoking Ads - These Collaged Ima... 6 hr What The F 1
News Susan Sarandon: 'Sex keeps me looking young' 6 hr Ben Gonawhyle 2
News Zika virus not raising concerns in ND 6 hr Zeke the Pinhead 5
News Should bingo parlor allow smoking? Council cons... 6 hr My Solution 1
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 12 hr Studmuffin 6,848
More from around the web