If Health Law Is Overturned, What Will Liberals Do?

There are 20 comments on the thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com story from Mar 28, 2012, titled If Health Law Is Overturned, What Will Liberals Do?. In it, thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com reports that:

If the Supreme Court strikes down all or part of President Obama 's health care law , it will have unraveled a legislative compromise that many liberals had viewed with suspicion from the beginning.

In one of the ironies of recent politics, Mr. Obama was a late convert to the merits of the individual mandate that now appears to be in danger of being declared unconstitutional.

But the president’s embrace of the mandate — and his willingness to abandon a so-called public option to get a health care deal — was a hard pill to swallow for many of his Democratic supporters.

The Affordable Care Act promises to provide health insurance to millions who lacked it. But it also stops far short of the idea that health care is a basic right for everyone living in the country. And it embraces the market-based system of private health care delivery that has long existed in America.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3040 Jun 17, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> the Obama Health Care contributes to unemployment. Companys with 50 or more employees have to pay it. So they cut back to less than 50. Those with less than 50 wont expand. Everyone is holding back because this administration,s policy,s are very anti buisness.
Bumya Bush, the first MBA POTUS, took a full-employment economy on track to pay off the NATIONAL DEBT by 2010 and turned it into a job-destroying, debt-laden disaster.

Mutt Romputz was 47th in job creation and 1st in debt creation.

The GOPOX pattern of INCOMPETENCE is perfectly clear. Add in Herbert Hoover and the pattern stretches back very far indeed.

Oh yeah, the stock market does better under DEMOCRATS.

That is the 'free market' LOL talking so shut up and listen junior.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3041 Jun 17, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, but what is happening to SS today? What is happening to Medicare? They are failing. The reason they are failing is because government was afraid to be honest with the contributors. SS and Medicare should have been indexed for inflation and the extended life expectancy long ago. But it wasn't because if they did increase employee contributions, then the populous would have rejected the programs and insisted we go to something else.
ObamaCare isn't even in full swing yet, and already, the CBO calculated that it will cost nearly twice as much as when it was proposed and passed by the Democrats. It's already a problem, and you can't solve problems by solving one and creating ten more in it's place. That's no solution at all.
Health care, you blockhead, is a problem EVERYWHERE in the USA you blithering idiot. It is slated to become 20% of our economy which is ridiculous you insanely uneducated dolt.

Democrats are trying to DO SOMETHING unlike the Republiscum who gleefully watch lives destroyed due to outrageous medical bills. You know nothing whatsoever about this subject you bilious punk.

The depth of your ignorance is astounding which, of course, never stops you from posting your noxious bile taken directly from some fascist source.
spud

United States

#3042 Jun 18, 2012
Get ready because this travesty is about to get overturned by the SC. The party of the "constitutional scholar" is about to get slapped down. Next thing to be overruled will be the "scholars" totalitarian bid to circumvent congress and declare an amnesty. And this guy taught constitutional law? What a joke. Nancy Pelosi, and that relative of hers that interrupted the US Open golf presentation yesterday, are all for this dictatorial approach.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#3043 Jun 18, 2012
spud wrote:
Get ready because this travesty is about to get overturned by the SC. The party of the "constitutional scholar" is about to get slapped down. Next thing to be overruled will be the "scholars" totalitarian bid to circumvent congress and declare an amnesty. And this guy taught constitutional law? What a joke. Nancy Pelosi, and that relative of hers that interrupted the US Open golf presentation yesterday, are all for this dictatorial approach.
I hope your prediction is correct. World wide this Glowbull economic house of cards is beginning to fall. Greece is frst and others are next. The proverbal shit is beginning to hit the fan. It couldnt last forever.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#3045 Jun 18, 2012
wow, even obamas ponytailed ex hippie college professors are turning against him. had to happen, even weirdos know when an idiot is around.
frank

Oakland, CA

#3046 Jun 18, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Then your system has significant differences between that and ObamaCare. In this bill, the federal government forces insurance companies to payout at least 80% of their collected premiums on bills for their customers. In other words, ObamaCare was designed to eventually wipeout private insurance.
You say that there are already role models. Well we have them too. It's called Medicare and Medicaid. No financial system is sound when you have less coming in than you payout.
It's a good thing not all of us are such f-ing doom and gloom naysayers, why don't just jump over a cliff? As for your 'role-model' it is not Medicare or Medicaid it is the VA Healthcare System, a model of efficiency! The Department of Veteran Affairs medical care is actually an excellent example of how the Gov’t is leading on health care quality and cost. But, no doubt, you will find a way to piss all over it as you have on the rest of US Gov’t – at least you’re consistent!
frank

Oakland, CA

#3047 Jun 18, 2012
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>I agree, but the Democrats created the Health Insurance problem 70 years ago too with the McCarran–Ferguson Act in response to the SCOTUS case of United States v. South-Eastern Underwriters Association and the Insurance Industry has benefited greatly to its advantage.
McCarran–Ferguson Act
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarran%E2%80%9...
United States v. South-Eastern Underwriters Association
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v....
Not exactly, National Healthcare was originally a conservative idea, including the “individual mandate,” requiring all Americans to obtain health insurance or pay a fine, was the brainchild of conservative economists and embraced by some of the nation's most prominent Republicans for nearly two decades. The first President to support something resembling Universal Healthcare was TR! Quote: "The supreme duty of the Nation is the conservation of human resources through an enlightened measure of social and industrial justice,"

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#3048 Jun 18, 2012
frank wrote:
<quoted text>
Not exactly, National Healthcare was originally a conservative idea, including the “individual mandate,” requiring all Americans to obtain health insurance or pay a fine, was the brainchild of conservative economists and embraced by some of the nation's most prominent Republicans for nearly two decades. The first President to support something resembling Universal Healthcare was TR! Quote: "The supreme duty of the Nation is the conservation of human resources through an enlightened measure of social and industrial justice,"
no it was FDR's Idea it was Called the 2nd Bill of Rights.

FDR Second Bill of Rights Speech Footage

frank

Oakland, CA

#3049 Jun 18, 2012
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>no it was FDR's Idea it was Called the 2nd Bill of Rights.
FDR Second Bill of Rights Speech Footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =3EZ5bx9AyI4XX
Don't be a knuckle-head, it's not only easily documented but a very interesting history of universal healthcare in the US
HTS

Englewood, CO

#3050 Jun 18, 2012
frank wrote:
<quoted text>
Not exactly, National Healthcare was originally a conservative idea, including the “individual mandate,” requiring all Americans to obtain health insurance or pay a fine, was the brainchild of conservative economists and embraced by some of the nation's most prominent Republicans for nearly two decades. The first President to support something resembling Universal Healthcare was TR! Quote: "The supreme duty of the Nation is the conservation of human resources through an enlightened measure of social and industrial justice,"
Give it up, Frank. No one is interested in your mindless left wing BS. National healthcare is Marxism, pure and simple.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#3051 Jun 18, 2012
frank wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be a knuckle-head, it's not only easily documented but a very interesting history of universal healthcare in the US
but that was FDR's intent but FDR was one that created the Health Insurance mess with signing into law the Stabilization Act of 1942 and issuing Executive Order 9250 Establishing the Office of Economic Stabilization & Executive Order 9328 on Prices and Wages.

Executive Order 9250 Establishing the Office of Economic Stabilization

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php...

Executive Order 9328 on Prices and Wages

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/...

One consequence of the wage stabilization under the Act was that employers, unable to provide higher salaries to attract or retain employees, began to offer insurance plans, including health care packages, as a fringe benefit, thereby beginning the practice of employer-sponsored health insurance.

Stabilization Act of 1942

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabilization_Ac...
frank

Oakland, CA

#3054 Jun 18, 2012
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>but that was FDR's intent but FDR was one that created the Health Insurance mess with signing into law the Stabilization Act of 1942 and issuing Executive Order 9250 Establishing the Office of Economic Stabilization & Executive Order 9328 on Prices and Wages.
Executive Order 9250 Establishing the Office of Economic Stabilization
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php...
Executive Order 9328 on Prices and Wages
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/...
One consequence of the wage stabilization under the Act was that employers, unable to provide higher salaries to attract or retain employees, began to offer insurance plans, including health care packages, as a fringe benefit, thereby beginning the practice of employer-sponsored health insurance.
Stabilization Act of 1942
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabilization_Ac...
Agreed ...
frank

Oakland, CA

#3055 Jun 18, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Give it up, Frank. No one is interested in your mindless left wing BS. National healthcare is Marxism, pure and simple.
I know man, don't you just hate that liberal marxist bastard TR :-/
After all, he did establish the first National Park in the world and if that is not Marxism in disguise - I don't know what is :-)
HTS

Englewood, CO

#3056 Jun 18, 2012
frank wrote:
<quoted text>
I know man, don't you just hate that liberal marxist bastard TR :-/
After all, he did establish the first National Park in the world and if that is not Marxism in disguise - I don't know what is :-)
What is your point? You compare the national park system to a healthcare takover?
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#3057 Jun 18, 2012
frank wrote:
<quoted text>
I know man, don't you just hate that liberal marxist bastard TR :-/
After all, he did establish the first National Park in the world and if that is not Marxism in disguise - I don't know what is :-)
Even Hitler has a few good ideas and did a few good things.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#3058 Jun 18, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Even Hitler has a few good ideas and did a few good things.
that's true, even Eisenhower thought that too when he traveled in Germany on Hitler's German Autobahn during WW2 which is where he got the Idea for the National Interstate System here in the US.
frank

Oakland, CA

#3059 Jun 18, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Even Hitler has a few good ideas and did a few good things.
Oh I feel so much better now :-/

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3060 Jun 18, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I hope your prediction is correct. World wide this Glowbull economic house of cards is beginning to fall. Greece is frst and others are next. The proverbal shit is beginning to hit the fan. It couldnt last forever.
At least you admit that Republiscums are hoping, praying, salivating for destruction of the worldwide economy.

You are a sick **** Churm but at least you are facing your disease.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3061 Jun 18, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>What is your point? You compare the national park system to a healthcare takover?
Medicare is Marxism according to you?

Bishop Mutt Romputz is promising to eliminate Medicare even for current recipients. I am sure that is going to go over very well with his old, sick, angry, frightened, uneducated, violent supporters.

Truth comes to the GOPOX! Republiscum admit they will eliminate Medicare as Marxism.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#3063 Jun 18, 2012
But Frank & co are right, why is the right on this continual message of doom & gloom and labeling it as Obama's fault. I think the US can be successful under his policies and its the same with almost everyone I know. Yes the Euro thing is a big weight in the saddle bags but on the bright side. China still needs to be feed , they still need resources and that goes for every other developing Nation.
I get personally frustrated when I see the countries who are doing the right thing and succeeding yet the right say thats the formula for failure. Well Canada is right next door, they must be doing something right as they still have AAA credit & a GST tax or VAT. Despite what Hannity says, TAX can also be a driver for investment, if a company faces a high tax bill then it could be offset by expanding business or buying new equipment. So this BS of the Tea party has really been a destructive force in America.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Palin calls Obama `most pro-abortion president' (Nov '10) 46 min Tazo 545
B-12 and Lipotropic Injections for Weight Loss (Jun '06) 2 hr jazzyjas 4,710
News a oeIf you ignore it can spread and it can caus... 3 hr headerstohell 1
News Raleigh Eye Center To Give Away Free LASIK (Apr '13) 4 hr jstrong196 3
Should My Whole Household be Gluten-Free? 4 hr Cooking2Thrive 1
News Knee Replacements with DePuy (Feb '10) 4 hr mark m 97
News House adopts compromise GOP budget targeting 'O... 4 hr goonsquad 20
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) May 2 Cyn 6,282
More from around the web