Black dots under thumbs, they are pai...

Black dots under thumbs, they are painful, please help!

Posted in the Health Forum

Sweetheart7

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#1 Oct 7, 2010
Hi,
A couple of days ago I was feeling pains underneath my thumb nails. I looked at them and I noticed small black lines underneath both of them. So I tried cleaning underneath the nails and adding pressure only added more pain. Anyway I kept trying to get the black lines off but they wouldn't go away. Since it was the middle of the night and I was really tired I left them until the morning and by then they were a little bit better. When I tried to get rid of them it was very difficult to budge them. So today I soaked my nails and cut them really short and cleaned under the nails for quite a while. Now there are small black still under there. I kept on trying to take them off with the soap and water and this metal tool that is supposed to clean underneath the nails. Anyways I kept trying for a long time but they are deep in the skin and I don't want to bleed. It also hurts when I try to get rid of them. I got most of it off, soaking and cleaning them really helped but I'm not sure why they are so painful especially when I try to get rid of them and what exactly they are. They are still there because it was difficult for me to remove them since they are deep under the skin and painful. I don't want to go to a dermatologist right away because they seem to be going but if they get worse I will go. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? or does anyone else know what this is? any ideas? please help me, they are painful and deep in the skin. Thank you.
Sweetheart7

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#2 Oct 7, 2010
I just read up on a page about types of melanoma...anyway what I have started out as a dark streak but it went away with me trying to get rid of it. Now it appears as tiny black dots that are painful. It's not really all that bad but some of the dots won't disappear and I tried to get rid of them for a while. Anyway I just read this..."What to remember: Be sure to see a dermatologist as soon as possible if you notice a:

Bruise that does not fade or comes and goes

Nail lifts up or separates from the nail bed

New nail streak not associated with recent trauma

Enlarging nail streak

Wide or very darkly pigmented nail streak

Pigmented mass in the mouth

Nosebleeds and nasal stuffiness"...I did have a nail streak...I also read this "ALM is sometimes referred to as a “hidden melanoma” because these lesions occur on parts of the body not easily examined or not thought necessary to examine. ALM develops on the palms, soles, mucous membranes (such as those that line the mouth, nose, and female genitals), and underneath or near fingernails and toenails.

What it looks like: ALM is often overlooked until it is well advanced because in the early stages, it often looks like a bruise or nail streak. Here is what it usually looks like on each area of the body:

Palm or sole – Melanoma usually begins as an irregularly shaped tan, brown, or black spot. It is often mistakenly attributed to some recent injury — that is, the patient recalls a relatively recent bruise or blow in the general area of the pigmented spot.

Mucous membranes – When melanoma develops on a mucus membrane, it is most likely to develop inside the nose or mouth. Early symptoms include nosebleeds and nasal stuffiness and a pigmented mass inside the mouth. Melanomas also can develop on the mucous membranes of the anus, urinary tract, and female genitalia.

Under a nail - The first sign may be a "nail streak" — a narrow, dark stripe under the nail. ALM usually develops on the thumb or big toe; however, it can occur under any fingernail or toenail. Many individuals, especially dark-skinned people, have fixed nail streaks that are completely benign. A new nail streak not associated with recent trauma, an enlarging nail streak, a wide or very darkly pigmented streak, or a nail that is separating or lifting up from the nail bed should be examined by a dermatologist. A possible indication of advanced ALM is a nail streak with associated pigmentation in the nail fold skin or destruction of the nail plate.

ALM of the fingers or toes also can develop without an obvious nail streak — particularly the non-pigmented variety. ALM may, for example, look very much like a chronic infection of the nail bed." That kind of scares me but I don't really think it is something that bad. Hopefully it is not!

Since: Jan 13

Chicago, IL

#3 Apr 9, 2013
Hello dear,
You have to try aloe vera juice over black dots. If it not works then you have to consult with your doctor they will gives you better treatment.
Heyuy

Lexington, KY

#4 Jun 12, 2013
It could be blood blisters under the skin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay guys in illinois (Jun '16) 1 hr Ajimnez9165 42
News 1st city to ban smoking inside restaurants, Win... 2 hr cough cough 73
News Trump budget director defends social safety net... 3 hr SirPrize 5
NEW Dirty Ki...K (Sep '16) 4 hr johnfire69 21
News Lawmakers revisiting requiring those on Medicai... 4 hr Red Crosse 143
News Republicans already giving Trump's budget a col... 8 hr Stop and Think 24
Sexual Health 8 hr Uncle STan 1
Nudity at doctor's office (Mar '07) May 19 SissyBareFeet 169
More from around the web