What is Osteopenia?

What is Osteopenia?

There are 7 comments on the Drkoop.com story from Mar 17, 2011, titled What is Osteopenia?. In it, Drkoop.com reports that:

In 1992, the World Health Organization defined the term osteopenia. Before this time, this medical term did not exist and many people confused this with osteoporosis even though osteopenia is not a disease like osteoporosis.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Drkoop.com.

Radioactive Strontium

Toronto, Canada

#1 Apr 13, 2011

Since: Aug 10

Guilin, China

#2 Apr 14, 2011
Osteopenia is a condition of less bone density or bone mass than would be normally expected if you compare a woman to a woman or population of women her age. Osteopenia is the bone loss that, as it continues, can lead to osteoporosis, which is when you've lost so much bone that your risk for fractures is significantly higher.
TCM discovery Net will providing more health information..
Ana M

Anonymous Proxy

#3 Jul 15, 2011
I believe Ostopenia is the condition wherein there is decreased bone density and decrease in the bone's mass secondary to disease condition or insufficient minerals needed for bone strengthening. http://www.hiprecalllaw.com
Melvin

Miami, FL

#6 Aug 23, 2012
It is best when we are still young to be aware of the potential risk of developing osteopenia which is a factor that may lead to osteoporosis. Learned about it at www.fritzbailey.blogspot.com
Gerald

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Oct 10, 2012
Osteopenia is a precursor to osteoporosis. It helps a person gauge his or her risk of developing porous bones or chances of experiencing fractures. Although some medical experts note that unlike osteoporosis, osteopenia is not a disease, but rather a means of knowing where you stand against bone-related diseases. Unless your doctor determines that you have multiple osteoporosis risk factors, he or she may actually encourage natural prevention through exercise, calcium, vitamin D, or phosphate-rich nutrition, and healthy lifestyle. For people with greater risk than others though, bisphosphonates like Fosamax may be prescribed. While medications are mostly beneficial, they are also known to cause side effects. I've read from this website, http://www.fosamax-lawsuit.net/ the benefits and potentially serious side effects of Fosamax.
Ben

United States

#8 Oct 11, 2012
Osteopenia is a condition where bone mineral density is lower than normal. It is considered by many doctors to be a precursor to osteoporosis. However, not every person diagnosed with osteopenia will develop osteoporosis. More specifically, osteopenia is defined as a bone mineral density T-score between -1.0 and 02.5. Fosamax was intended to prevent and treat certain types of bone loss and bone density. However, medical professional have been scrutinizing the problems associated with the drug. It has been linked to a rare jawbone disorder, esophageal cancer, chronic irregular heartbeat and unusual bone fractures. There are a number of lawsuits filed against Fosamax maker, which is Merck. You may also refer at http://www.fosamaxfemurfracturelawsuit.com for more information.
Hamlet

San Jose, CA

#9 Feb 16, 2013
Low bone density (osteopenia) is when your bone density is lower than normal, but not low enough to be considered osteoporosis. It may mean that you have a greater chance of getting osteoporosis if you lose bone in the future because you have less bone to lose. People with this kind of bone problem resort to taking bisphosphonate drugs, such as Fosamax, not knowing the this drug may potentially do more harm than good. There are helpful informations the I have read at the Fosamax Injury Lawsuit Center.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fluoridation and GMOs: Interview with ConnFACT ... 5 min Get rid of it 1
News Study Links Fluoridation of Water To Hypothyroi... 8 min Get rid of it 1
News USA - Fluoridation may open Asheville to litiga... 14 min Get rid of it 1
News What is ICSI infertility treatment? 1 hr jameskenny2015 2
News Vaccine Didn't Cause Girl's 'Autism-Like' Illness 2 hr arcanaknight 16
News Water fluoridation debate reignites in Western ... 2 hr Get rid of it 1
News Why I take my daughter with me to the gynecologist (Dec '14) 3 hr thenose 128
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 20 hr shannon 6,431
More from around the web