Ask Dr K: Complications from hip repl...

Ask Dr K: Complications from hip replacement surgery are unusual

There are 12 comments on the The Gaston Gazette story from Aug 6, 2012, titled Ask Dr K: Complications from hip replacement surgery are unusual. In it, The Gaston Gazette reports that:

DEAR READER: I'm answering your question as both a doctor and a patient, since I had a hip replacement about a decade ago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Gaston Gazette.

Clark

New York, NY

#1 Aug 21, 2012
This may happen when the device is not attached to the bone correctly; the unit is dislocated and misaligned; and the bone around the implant is fractured. Moreover, defective hip devices may deposit pieces of toxic metal into the patient’s bloodstream. The body tissues may also form pseudotumors. Thus, it is vital to have your hip device checked up regularly.

See http://www.depuyhipreplacementlawsuit.com/ for more information.
Micheal

New York, NY

#2 Aug 21, 2012
There are several cases wherein patients experience so much pain after a hip replacement surgery. Other instances require a revision or second surgery. One reason is a defective hip device. In 2010, Johnson&Johnson issued a worldwide recall of two hip replacement devices (manufactured by its subsidiary DePuy Orthopaedics) because of hip replacement problems. These devices are the ASR XL Acetabular System and the ASR Hip Resurfacing System. The company cited early failure of the devices, resulting in approximately one out of eight patients’ requiring a “revision surgery." This surgery is often more difficult and painful than the original hip replacement procedure.

The website http://www.depuyhipreplacementlawsuit.com/ provides a wide-ranging information on this.
bryan treffer

Kansas City, MO

#3 Aug 21, 2012
I'm 4 weeks post THR. I'm wondering how much swelling and pain I should be having at this point. After sitting in a chair for only 2 or 3 hrs my leg is very swollen and feels "hard" in the thigh area. I am also experiencing a constant ache in the thigh muscles on the outside of the thigh. The pain does not go below the knee and is localized in the outer thigh. I have just now been cleared for 100% weight bearing. Are these symptoms normal and if so when should I expect them to diminish.
Susan

West Chicago, IL

#4 Aug 31, 2012
Even after a hip surgery, there are few reports that worsens the condition of patients. Complications are slowly consuming the patient because of a defective device implanted to their body. Check out this website to know more about this issue http://www.depuypinnaclelawsuit.com/hip-repla...
Catherine

Lodz, Poland

#5 Aug 31, 2012
The more unusual complication of a hip replacement implant is the metal poisoning found in the blood and surrounding tissues of the implants. Metallosis or metal poisoning affects the kidney, liver and the cardiovascular system of the patients. Please be advised that the manufacturer of the defective implant DePuy Orthopaedics (a Johnson & Johnson subsidiary) is now facing a number of lawsuits. You may find information at http://www.depuypinnaclelawsuit.com
Cancer 05

Monroe, LA

#6 Sep 6, 2012
Hi I had a partial hip replacement in November 2010, they replaced the ball and put a steel rod in my leg. the hip bone crumbled due to Breast Cancer in Bone. I have done Physical Therapy, pool therapy, walking and exercises and nothing seems to help. I have to use a cane if I go anywhere or a wheelchair if its going to be a long way to walk. My leg doesn't bend normal and is very stiff at times. It hurts my back to do sweeping mopping which I found out I have Osteoarthrites in my lower back and left shoulder. Is there anything I can do to improve my leg? I have come to the conclusion that if this is the way it will be I am fine with it, i am 45 Just praying the Cancer stays away

Thank you for your time
LInda inPain

Gray, GA

#7 Sep 6, 2012
What is recommened after 1 year and the pain seens to be knawing and just getting worse instead of better, my surgery was April 11
Linda Helms

Fort Mill, SC

#8 Jan 13, 2013
hi my husband had a total hip replacementabout 6yrs ago. he is now having a skin sensation of pens sticking in the upper part of his leg and pain to touch his skinin the area that the rod would be in is upper leg he has had a general dray which was. normal he also had an Kris of back which was pretty much.normal. can his symptoms be related to his hip surgery? signed in pain and no answers from his MD. thanks.
DeckerKP

Kansas City, MO

#9 Jan 18, 2013
One of the most frightening complication of hip replacement surgery is metallosis. This can cause necrosis or tissue death in the hip joint, development of pus, inflammation, and loosening of the hip device. For more detailed information, check out http://www.strykerhipreplacementrecall.net/st...
Rosalyn M

San Jose, CA

#10 Feb 15, 2013
LInda inPain wrote:
What is recommened after 1 year and the pain seens to be knawing and just getting worse instead of better, my surgery was April 11
It's best that you consult your surgeon about this. I read from this site called DePuy Hip Recall Information Center that hip implants have the tendency to come loose or cause some metal particles to wear off of the device and be distributed into the bloodstream. You may want to be examined for that or other possible problems related to the implant.
Eliza Winestock

San Jose, CA

#11 Feb 25, 2013
Any surgeon in here?

Just want to pop some questions. For one, I would like to know why DePuy used these metals in the first place.

I think they also have their own research. And to think these also has sent them 10,000 lawsuits. Pretty heavy load.
Hillary

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Apr 5, 2013
The use of metal was supposed to be the best thing to happen in the industry. It was supposed to ensure that hip implants may last very long and thereby benefiting even the younger people. This might really be truly if only proper tests were conducted. Also, it was revealed in the Loren Kransky trial that these failures may be due to interference of business people. Read up on the Kransky case for more information which may be available in depuysettlements .com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 11 hr Lulu 7,236
News Harbor-UCLA Medical Center cited for safety vio... (Oct '11) 13 hr Human 221
Asbestos Cleanse Discovery Needed 20 hr bluebell 1
News Gay men can now donate blood three months after... 20 hr Darby 4
News Discussing making City Park a smoke freea - 20 hr Richy Rich 38
News Many of key players on Trump health care reform... Sun Hoosier Daddy 1
News Number of Americans who die prematurely each ye... Sun Cordwainer Trouts... 6
Nudity at doctor's office (Mar '07) Sat 6yrold 209
More from around the web