Health Groups Urge Hike in Kansas Tob...

Health Groups Urge Hike in Kansas Tobacco Tax

There are 21 comments on the Kansas' CW story from Apr 13, 2010, titled Health Groups Urge Hike in Kansas Tobacco Tax. In it, Kansas' CW reports that:

Anti-smoking groups are trying to pressure Kansas legislators into raising the state's cigarette tax by $1 a pack, to a total $1.79. Half-page ads were running Tuesday in newspapers in seven cities, urging Kansans to contact lawmakers in support of the tax increase.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas' CW.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
John Q

Overland Park, KS

#1 Apr 13, 2010
Just say no.

“Fredneck County Md”

Since: Feb 08

Small Town

#2 Apr 13, 2010
Just say no to taxes.
John Q

Overland Park, KS

#3 Apr 13, 2010
Why not a 5 cent tax on green beans? It would probably raise more money. C'mon, it's for the children!
Rick

Lenexa, KS

#4 Apr 14, 2010
Why not attach a meter to our noses and tax the air we breathe?
EARLPITTSAMURICA N

Parsons, KS

#5 Apr 14, 2010
Rick wrote:
Why not attach a meter to our noses and tax the air we breathe?
That'd work fine today for me. The pollen is so thick my nose is plugged up like concrete.
ClintWayne

Kansas City, MO

#6 Apr 14, 2010
OK So here is the deal from a pure economic observation. "Let's Stop Teenage Smoking." You can't enforce or legislate morals, but you can impact them at the most critical point,"Discretionary Income". Teenagers typically spend their discretionary income on food, drinks, music, gas and socializing. I don't know any teenagers that spend their discretionary on rent, utilities and the like, so if using tobacco is a "Choice" then just tax the hell out of it. Very simple, "Supply and Demand." If the tobacco products are priced out of their "spending range" guess what their "demand" for this product goes down. John Keynes would be proud!!

“Fredneck County Md”

Since: Feb 08

Small Town

#7 Apr 14, 2010
Tax ClintWayne and his snotty ilk to death and voila... no more problem!
just candid

AOL

#8 Apr 14, 2010
~~~~~~~~~~The Hell with the tax man!!~~~~~~~~
Live better & longer, plus smell better along the way.
Just say NO to smoking!!! >:~)
ClintWayne

Kansas City, MO

#9 Apr 14, 2010
Poor old Happy Contented Soul from a "Small Town".
Let me guess, small town, small brain, who in the hell has enough time to craft 11,216 pieces of dialouge?
Nobody I know: If you are employed you are working! I work 3 jobs to make ends meet and I am happy to have a job.
If you are retired you are enjoying your life. Now let me see, if you are sitting home on the couch sucking up a check from the government, well you are not part of a solution you are part of the problem. And...this is NOT about raising taxes. It is about raising prices. If you just raise prices the Multi-layered Tobacco companies now make even more billions! If you raise taxes you get your roads fixed or maybe even you can sit on the couch and suck the teat of the government even longer. I bet money I don't have is that you are probably sitting on the couch smoking a finely crafted tobacco product and MY insurance premiums are to pay for your diabetes II or lung cancer.

On a positive note I do LOVE your "Stars & Bars"
John Q

Overland Park, KS

#10 Apr 15, 2010
ClintWayne wrote:
Poor old Happy Contented Soul from a "Small Town".
Let me guess, small town, small brain, who in the hell has enough time to craft 11,216 pieces of dialouge?
Nobody I know: If you are employed you are working! I work 3 jobs to make ends meet and I am happy to have a job.
If you are retired you are enjoying your life. Now let me see, if you are sitting home on the couch sucking up a check from the government, well you are not part of a solution you are part of the problem. And...this is NOT about raising taxes. It is about raising prices. If you just raise prices the Multi-layered Tobacco companies now make even more billions! If you raise taxes you get your roads fixed or maybe even you can sit on the couch and suck the teat of the government even longer. I bet money I don't have is that you are probably sitting on the couch smoking a finely crafted tobacco product and MY insurance premiums are to pay for your diabetes II or lung cancer.
On a positive note I do LOVE your "Stars & Bars"
You're wrong. It's all about raising millions in taxes. By the comments made by the legislators involved, the secondary purpose is to cut down on numbers of smokers. Your assignment of some fictitious lifestyle for someone who disagrees with you is pretty disgusting. Typical for a control freak. By the way, you're not paying for someone's diabetes or cancer...their premiums go up accordingly. I guess when the insurance is cancelled you'll be paying for it anyway.

By the way...as required by control freaks...here's my status...
non-smoker...non-welfare recipient...
john

Overland Park, KS

#11 Apr 15, 2010
How about electing people that will reduce the size and scope of government.
John Q

Overland Park, KS

#12 Apr 15, 2010
john wrote:
How about electing people that will reduce the size and scope of government.
Good luck with that. Everyone...no exceptions...who has campaigned to reduce the size and scope of government has failed. Perhaps they went in with good intentions, but could not reduce the size of government. Thomas Jefferson was the first to try. He wanted to reduce the size of government that was brought about by Washington and Adams.He doubled the size of the country with the Louisiana Purchase. The size of the government soon followed.

Even Reagan, who campaigned for lower deficit spending and smaller government increased both.

It's something easily said during election years...but hard, if not impossible to implement.
Danny

Seattle, WA

#13 Apr 15, 2010
If you want to do independent research on the health
effects of smoking and tobacco just click on this site:

http://www.forces.org/static_page/who.php

As far as I know it is not financed by politicians, health departments, or the American Tobacco Institute or the pharmaceutical industry.

Here's an excerpt from the above site: