Newington War Vet Being Evicted For B...

Newington War Vet Being Evicted For Breaking Smoking Rules

There are 17 comments on the The Hartford Courant story from Aug 22, 2013, titled Newington War Vet Being Evicted For Breaking Smoking Rules. In it, The Hartford Courant reports that:

When Andy Nowicki was a combat infantryman fighting the Germans in World War II, the army gave him free cigarettes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Hartford Courant.

CRK

Bethany, CT

#1 Aug 23, 2013
Thank you for your service to the Nation. These rules didn't happen over night .. Rules are Rules. Would this even be a discussion if he were a Banker, plumber......
Cough Cough Hack OMG

Winnipeg, Canada

#3 Aug 25, 2013
CRK wrote:
Thank you for your service to the Nation. These rules didn't happen over night .. Rules are Rules. Would this even be a discussion if he were a Banker, plumber......
So true. Smoking is revolting and society should have put a stop to it a long time ago. If you smoke you are a social outcast like other addicts.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#4 Aug 25, 2013
Cough Cough Hack OMG wrote:
<quoted text> So true. Smoking is revolting and society should have put a stop to it a long time ago. If you smoke you are a social outcast like other addicts.
Why isn't everyone pissed at big tobacco for getting him addicted so bad in the first place?
Gulf War Syndrome

Winnipeg, Canada

#5 Aug 25, 2013
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Why isn't everyone pissed at big tobacco for getting him addicted so bad in the first place?
We tend to expect law enforcement to bust criminals, but corporations are not treated as criminals and when a company like MERCK kills estimates of 50,000 to 250,000 with VIOXX, a drug that they knew would kill based on safety studies, law enforcement allows out of court settlements. That allows the issue to end and owners and employees walk. Fines and compensation are a fraction of profits. Same with Big Tobacco. They should be shut down, but won't be. Only by not smoking can we shut them down.
Rollin One

United States

#6 Nov 7, 2013
Cough Cough Hack OMG wrote:
<quoted text> So true. Smoking is revolting and society should have put a stop to it a long time ago. If you smoke you are a social outcast like other addicts.
If you make comments like that, you're considered a self-righteous, holier-than-thou, rat-on-your-neighbor, offensive Ahole.

Where YOU the one that snitched on the old, patriotic and bothering-no-one veteran?

LOL.

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#7 Nov 7, 2013
I also agree. smoking is not only affect the smokers. it affect the passive smokers those who inhale the cigarettes smoke

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#9 Nov 13, 2013
Rollin One wrote:
<quoted text>
If you make comments like that, you're considered a self-righteous, holier-than-thou, rat-on-your-neighbor, offensive Ahole.
Where YOU the one that snitched on the old, patriotic and bothering-no-one veteran?
LOL.
He was obviously bothering SOMEBODY. Not everyone likes self righteous smoking Aholes like yourself who think that everyone else needs to put up with their stench just so they can ease the cravings of their addiction while they slowly rot their lungs out from inhaling hot, toxic gasses that make the rest of us cough uncontrollably.
ASHTRAY BREATH

Winnipeg, Canada

#11 Nov 20, 2013
War vet, smore vet get out you stinker. Go live on skid row with the other addicts. this is the life YOU chose.
Stinker

United States

#15 Dec 2, 2013
Smokers STINK!!

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#16 Dec 2, 2013
"When Andy Nowicki was a combat infantryman fighting the Germans in World War II, the army gave him free cigarettes.
Now, the habit he picked up 70 years ago, thanks in part to Uncle Sam, might cost him his home."

So this is the governments fault? This guy had 70 years to quit.

""It's like they're going to turn this into a concentration camp," Nowicki said as he enjoyed a smoke in his rolling chair, wheeled the required distance from the building."

A concentration camp? Because you have to smoke outside the building? Talk about dramatic. And this guy has a rolling chair? So really...what is the problem with rolling your ass outside?

"The couple's daughter, Janet Nowicki, said she has no idea where her parents will go if they are forced out of the $714-a-month apartment where they have lived for 20 years...

"You got me," she said. "How fast can I build a ramp on my house?"

The daughter has a house? And she has no idea where her parents will go?

And since this smokestack has been living in subsidized housing for 20 years you'd think the least he could do is just follow the rules instead of thinking he's so entitled.

""Personally, I couldn't sleep at night evicting a 90-year-old war hero from government-subsidized housing," Doyle said. "It's just totally incredible to me that we can't find an exception to the rules. I think common sense should prevail and let Mr. Nowicki live out his life because of what he did for all of us.""

Really? So rules shouldn't apply to people who went to war? And what if there are other veterans there who DON'T want to breathe Andy's second-hand smoke or have it reeking up their apartments?

"There's got to be some way to compromise so that he won't have to leave the home where he's been for 20 years."

Yeah, here's a solution...Andy can roll his chair to 10 feet beyond the building and smoke all he wants.

What a bunch of self-entitles whiners.
Willy Maher

Hagerstown, MD

#17 Dec 3, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
"When Andy Nowicki was a combat infantryman fighting the Germans in World War II, the army gave him free cigarettes.
Now, the habit he picked up 70 years ago, thanks in part to Uncle Sam, might cost him his home."
So this is the governments fault? This guy had 70 years to quit.
""It's like they're going to turn this into a concentration camp," Nowicki said as he enjoyed a smoke in his rolling chair, wheeled the required distance from the building."
A concentration camp? Because you have to smoke outside the building? Talk about dramatic. And this guy has a rolling chair? So really...what is the problem with rolling your ass outside?
"The couple's daughter, Janet Nowicki, said she has no idea where her parents will go if they are forced out of the $714-a-month apartment where they have lived for 20 years...
"You got me," she said. "How fast can I build a ramp on my house?"
The daughter has a house? And she has no idea where her parents will go?
And since this smokestack has been living in subsidized housing for 20 years you'd think the least he could do is just follow the rules instead of thinking he's so entitled.
""Personally, I couldn't sleep at night evicting a 90-year-old war hero from government-subsidized housing," Doyle said. "It's just totally incredible to me that we can't find an exception to the rules. I think common sense should prevail and let Mr. Nowicki live out his life because of what he did for all of us.""
Really? So rules shouldn't apply to people who went to war? And what if there are other veterans there who DON'T want to breathe Andy's second-hand smoke or have it reeking up their apartments?
"There's got to be some way to compromise so that he won't have to leave the home where he's been for 20 years."
Yeah, here's a solution...Andy can roll his chair to 10 feet beyond the building and smoke all he wants.
What a bunch of self-entitles whiners.
Bowels run non-stop in your family, eh?

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#18 Dec 4, 2013
Willy Maher wrote:
<quoted text>Bowels run non-stop in your family, eh?
Wow. You're a deep thinker....yawn.
A DUH MOMENT

Winnipeg, Canada

#19 Dec 7, 2013
Government should consider allowing some buildings to have smokers ONLY. For pathetic cases like this one. Call it assisted suicide.
A DUH MOMENT

Winnipeg, Canada

#20 Dec 7, 2013
Willy Wanker wrote:
<quoted text>Bowels run non-stop in my family, smell that eh?
EW!!!

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#21 Dec 7, 2013
LMAO!!
Willy Maher

Hagerstown, MD

#22 Dec 8, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
LMAO!!
Then put it up on the hat rack and crawl around topless.
HAGERSCLOWN

Winnipeg, Canada

#23 Dec 8, 2013
Willy Maher wrote:
<quoted text>Then put it up on the hat rack and crawl around topless.
the clown is back. On parole AGAIN???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News COLUMN-Latest Republican assault on healthcare ... 7 hr Pat Robertson s F... 1
News Republican Sossa-Paquette to challenge McGovern... 9 hr family guy reference 2
News Harbor-UCLA Medical Center cited for safety vio... (Oct '11) Wed Nature 251
News As some in Congress look to move past the Obama... Wed Prosperity Fundie... 10
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) Wed Trayzaf 7,264
school spanking (Jan '17) Wed AbbeyLee 3
Planning to get dental crown- will it be painful? (Jul '15) Wed laurajkey 4
watching wife get pregnant by another man (Jan '17) Sep 17 Reginald 16
More from around the web