Australia's Plain Cigarette Packs Cause More People To Call Quit-Smoking Hotlines

Feb 17, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Medical Daily

Australia's law making all cigarette packs plain olive-colored has been called radical by some, but it may be working, according to a new study.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of49
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
DUH IM A SMOKER

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2014

Judged:

In Canada we had packs with pictures of diseased lungs, cancer sores, mouth cancer and throat holes on front. But we tobacco addicts didn't understand the connection because we are denialists.

Since: Jan 12

Where The Wild Things Grow

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2014

Judged:

bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever heard of second hand chocolate?
Neither have I,
I win. You lose.
That is true, but there are other substances which certainly have a pass-on effect - such as alcohol - how many innocent people die because another has consumed alcohol, how many families are subjected to physical and emotional violence due to another consuming alcohol? Perhaps alcoholic drinks should likewise be in plain-packaging and adorned with photos of car-crashes and bruised women and children - alcohol is responsible for more social misery than cigarettes.
By the way, this is a discussion, not a competition, no one wins, no one loses.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2014

Judged:

The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
People can still smoke. All that has been addressed are a few petty territorial disputes.
<quoted text>
Typical Prohibitionist mentality ...'plain' dishonest. Think about it.
<quoted text>
As I said ... wishful thinking.
I notice you scuttle away like a cockroach from other issues I raised.
You can no longer smoke places where you used to smoke.

I win. You lose.
sid

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2014

Judged:

sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true, but there are other substances which certainly have a pass-on effect - such as alcohol - how many innocent people die because another has consumed alcohol, how many families are subjected to physical and emotional violence due to another consuming alcohol? Perhaps alcoholic drinks should likewise be in plain-packaging and adorned with photos of car-crashes and bruised women and children - alcohol is responsible for more social misery than cigarettes.
Correct, I've never heard of anyone bashing their wife because of having smoked a cigarette, alcohol does more damage in our society than all of the other so called dangerous drugs put together, not that that makes controlled drugs any less harmful.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2014

Judged:

sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
There are laws regarding alcohol including places where you cannot drink, times you cannot buy alcohol and activities that you cannot do while drinking, including driving. Basically, there are numerous ways that alcohol can get someone put in jail.

And yes, there are winners here. We now have a ban. That is a win. We now have plain paper packs. That is a win. Fewer people are smoking. That is a win.

As far as social misery goes, when someone dies because of ETS exposure, that causes misery to their family and friends. We can avoid that and with the laws that are being placed on the books, we are making good progress. Again, a win.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2014

Judged:

DUH IM A SMOKER wrote:
In Canada we had packs with pictures of diseased lungs, cancer sores, mouth cancer and throat holes on front. But we tobacco addicts didn't understand the connection because we are denialists.
I like that unsmiley face the smokers are putting on your posts. It reminds me of a smoker with a mouthful ofshit.
sid

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2014

Judged:

bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
There are laws regarding alcohol including places where you cannot drink, times you cannot buy alcohol and activities that you cannot do while drinking, including driving. Basically, there are numerous ways that alcohol can get someone put in jail.
And yes, there are winners here. We now have a ban. That is a win. We now have plain paper packs. That is a win. Fewer people are smoking. That is a win.
As far as social misery goes, when someone dies because of ETS exposure, that causes misery to their family and friends. We can avoid that and with the laws that are being placed on the books, we are making good progress. Again, a win.
I find it the height of hypocrisy when the government knowing allows the marketing and taxing of known carcinogens and then using the tax to fund hospitals. Tobacco does not offer one positive thing to our society, just ban it, but the government doesn't have the balls to take on the tobacco companies. If I had the money I would initiate legal action against the australian federal government for dereliction of duty and breach of care for allowing the sale of know deadly toxic substances. Plain paper wrapping is nothing more than a token facade designed to make people think the government is doing something and keep the tobacco industry off their backwhen in fact they are doing sweet FA.
Stan Dandyliver

Denpasar, Indonesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2014

Judged:

The solution to the problem of smokers is to round them up, take them to the nearest police station, and forcibly insert their pack of cigarettes into their fundamental orifices. Any second offenders would have lit cigarettes inserted instead.
A similar technique might be effective in keeping handphone addicts
off the streets.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2014

Judged:

sid wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it the height of hypocrisy when the government knowing allows the marketing and taxing of known carcinogens and then using the tax to fund hospitals. Tobacco does not offer one positive thing to our society, just ban it, but the government doesn't have the balls to take on the tobacco companies. If I had the money I would initiate legal action against the australian federal government for dereliction of duty and breach of care for allowing the sale of know deadly toxic substances. Plain paper wrapping is nothing more than a token facade designed to make people think the government is doing something and keep the tobacco industry off their backwhen in fact they are doing sweet FA.
Quite right.:)

I've said it before .... It bears repeating ...

The non-smoking public should instead be hailing smokers as heroes! lol!

They are saving the non-smokers money.

If by the wave of some magic wand the sale and consumption of cigarettes and Tobacco were to suddenly cease overnight the Government would be caught embarrassingly short on its Forward Estimates.

It would have to grope around with undignified haste for some replacement impost. Unlike now, that new impost might hit the pockets of non-smokers. Perhaps they should quit squawking while they're ahead and leave smokers to shoulder their tax burden for them in peace.

“Free Speeech in a Free World ”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2014

Judged:

bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
You can no longer smoke places where you used to smoke.
I win. You lose.
I smoke everywhere I have always smoked so that makes you the loser .
What did I win , your disappearance ?
Team BD

Amsterdam, Netherlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2014

Judged:

Neville Thompson wrote:
<quoted text>
And that would be WCs and public urinals while waiting to Bend Over.

Is sid sIndian, the Brisbane Troll, lovey-dovey?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2014

Judged:

bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there are many regulations around the consumption of alcohol but considering its contribution to the national road toll, street violence, domestic violence and resulting costs to the community, such laws are punitive, rather than prohibitive. I am not opposed to restrictions as to where people can smoke - but as the cost to the community arising from alcohol abuse continues to escalate, I wonder why alcohol products are not similarly 'adjusted'? Could it be that drinking is such an entrenched part of our culture that any such attempt would be rejected from the outset? Personally I am not in favour of any such impositions but nor is it right that cigarette smoking is singled out for tortuous attention.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2014

Judged:

sid wrote:
<quoted text>
So true and if the government was serious about wanting people to quit - then the stop-smoking aids would be without cost to the smoker for the first 6 months of treatment. The smoker has already paid for such therapy many times over through the imposition of exorbitant taxes on every packet of cigarettes.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2014

Judged:

Neville Thompson wrote:
<quoted text>
You win the booby prize- CANCER!

Gotta love it- smokers are SO stupid

I win. You lose.
DUH IM sairla

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Judged:

sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
Want to discuss alcohol chose a different forum. This isn't an apples/ oranges issue. Its about a vile habit/ disease/ addiction/. Why people want to say car exhaust is worse that cig smoke etc, stay on topic.
Smoking EW

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Judged:

bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
I like that unsmiley face the smokers are putting on your posts. It reminds me of a smoker with a mouthful ofshit.
Or they just realized their breath smells like a cabbage fart.
Smoking EW

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Judged:

Neville DUH Thompson wrote:
<quoted text>
I smoke everywhere I have always smelled like turd so that makes me a loser .
No you win the world's biggest ashtray award.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Judged:

Smoking EW wrote:
<quoted text> Or they just realized their breath smells like a cabbage fart.
lol
Doris McMorris

Denpasar, Indonesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Judged:

All smokers should be rounded up, taken behind the Police station, and shot, twice, through the head.
Extreme

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Doris McMorris wrote:
All smokers should be rounded up, taken behind the Police station, and shot, twice, through the head.
That's a little extreme. A hoof in the prunes or a tit twister sends a message without going too far. These dipsticks are committing suicide as it is. I'm all for denying them free medical care. If that doesn't smarten them up, who cares? Here's some entertaining websites. Hope they launch.
http://www.mintsnuff.com/gamblingwithyourheal...
http://10steps.sg/inspirations/artworks/50-mo...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of49
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

76 Users are viewing the Health Forum right now

Search the Health Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
N.J. discussing smoking ban at beaches and parks 31 min Josh 24
Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 2 hr helpplease 5,681
Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised vi... 2 hr barefoot2626 60
EEOC lawsuit on behalf of diabetic Walgreen emp... 3 hr Seriously 19
For a good, cheaper cigar, head to Wisconsin; M... 3 hr gen is dumb 61
Help! How do I stop smoking pot? (Oct '12) 3 hr gen is dumb 79
Ohio approves state smoking ban (Nov '06) 3 hr gen is dumb 75,866
•••
•••
•••
•••