Australia's Plain Cigarette Packs Cau...

Australia's Plain Cigarette Packs Cause More People To Call Quit-Smoking Hotlines

There are 49 comments on the Medical Daily story from Feb 17, 2014, titled Australia's Plain Cigarette Packs Cause More People To Call Quit-Smoking Hotlines. In it, Medical Daily reports that:

Australia's law making all cigarette packs plain olive-colored has been called radical by some, but it may be working, according to a new study.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Medical Daily.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Free Speech in a Free World ”

Since: May 10

May the Force be with You .

#1 Feb 18, 2014
That is only that one's who can't be caught dead being seen in public with a cigarette packet that is the same colour as bovine shit .

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#2 Feb 18, 2014
We should implement the plain packaging here in the United States as soon as possible. There is no plausible reason for not doing this, especially since it is likely to help some people quit.

#3 Feb 18, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
We should implement the plain packaging here in the United States as soon as possible. There is no plausible reason for not doing this, especially since it is likely to help some people quit.
Why would people quit because the packet is plain ?
Muslim Mom

Fairfield, Australia

#4 Feb 18, 2014
Cigarettes these one cancer substance in society. Other cancer to society as Whites Racists Australians. Please Australian government also can making all Whites Racists Australians wrapped inside plain brown paper packaging!

Location hidden

#5 Feb 18, 2014
Neville Thompson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would people quit because the packet is plain ?
It just works. Look at the number of people calling the hotline (as per the article) or go tp:
http://www.cancervic.org.au/research/behaviou...
and review the links.

Cigarettes in plain paper lose the cool factor.
do as i say

Buffalo, NY

#7 Feb 18, 2014
Isn't it just great we have people out there who want to ban everything because they know whats best for our life and body and we have no say because apparently they own us. At what point did we give control of our life to a bunch of self declared know it alls ?

Location hidden

#8 Feb 18, 2014
do as i say wrote:
Isn't it just great we have people out there who want to ban everything because they know whats best for our life and body and we have no say because apparently they own us. At what point did we give control of our life to a bunch of self declared know it alls ?
Actually, no one gives a f^^^ about your life and body. Die tomorrow and none of us will care. You wonder when you gave up control of your life? It was when you picked up that first cigarette. The issue here is the harm that smokers do to others. Second hand smoke kills non smokers. Smokers have shown that they have no consideration of others and are basically ignorant fools who think that inhaling hot, toxic smoke is actually a good thing. Those of us who are non smokers, the vast majority, are protecting ourselves against the smokers, the vast minority. We are willing to let your addiction kill you, but draw the line at your addiction killing us.
do as i say

Buffalo, NY

#9 Feb 18, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, no one gives a f^^^ about your life and body. Die tomorrow and none of us will care. You wonder when you gave up control of your life? It was when you picked up that first cigarette. The issue here is the harm that smokers do to others. Second hand smoke kills non smokers. Smokers have shown that they have no consideration of others and are basically ignorant fools who think that inhaling hot, toxic smoke is actually a good thing. Those of us who are non smokers, the vast majority, are protecting ourselves against the smokers, the vast minority. We are willing to let your addiction kill you, but draw the line at your addiction killing us.
I don't smoke you f*ckin c*ckhead. So enough with telling us non smokers what we are or not protecting ourselves from. I don't remember when you were declared the voice of all non smokers, I certainly was not informed.

Location hidden

#10 Feb 18, 2014
do as i say wrote:
<quoted text>I don't smoke you f*ckin c*ckhead. So enough with telling us non smokers what we are or not protecting ourselves from. I don't remember when you were declared the voice of all non smokers, I certainly was not informed.
Too bad. The majority no longer wishes to be exposed to ETS,

I win. You lose.

Location hidden

#11 Feb 18, 2014
do as i say wrote:
<quoted text> don't remember when you were declared the voice of all non smokers, I certainly was not informed.
By the way, that was last year. You must have missed the memo.

I win. You lose

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Australia

#12 Feb 18, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Spoken like a typical 'reformed smoker', loudly anxious to reassure himself that he had 'made the right decision', and to HeII with anyone who doesn't want an earful of your needy self-indulgence.

Australia

#13 Feb 18, 2014
do as i say wrote:
There's a proverb that supports your stance.

"Fear the man who would enslave you. Fear more the man who proclaims that it is 'for your own good'... for he has no incentive to stop."

There is another principle at stake here ...

If you or I pay our honestly earned cash to buy goods that are legally on sale, then what right has any government to step in uninvited to *vandalize* those legal goods before we can possess them?

(cue spluttering rage from the control freaks among us .....)

Since: Jan 12

Where The Wild Things Grow

#15 Feb 19, 2014
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
"Fear the man who would enslave you. Fear more the man who proclaims that it is 'for your own good'... for he has no incentive to stop."
If you or I pay our honestly earned cash to buy goods that are legally on sale, then what right has any government to step in uninvited to *vandalize* those legal goods before we can possess them?
Quite true - according to the health experts, 2 out of three Australians are obese, if this is true, considering the health risks arising from obesity, why aren't the 'experts' calling for plain packaging of chocolates and assorted 'goodies'? As for people claiming the risks of passive smoking - where does this happen - smokers are extremely limited as to where they can smoke - as a non-smoker I am bothered far more by traffic fumes than by smoke from cigarettes.

Location hidden

#16 Feb 19, 2014
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite true - according to the health experts, 2 out of three Australians are obese, if this is true, considering the health risks arising from obesity, why aren't the 'experts' calling for plain packaging of chocolates and assorted 'goodies'? As for people claiming the risks of passive smoking - where does this happen - smokers are extremely limited as to where they can smoke - as a non-smoker I am bothered far more by traffic fumes than by smoke from cigarettes.
Ever heard of second hand chocolate?

Neither have I,

I win. You lose.

Location hidden

#17 Feb 19, 2014
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Spoken like a typical 'reformed smoker', loudly anxious to reassure himself that he had 'made the right decision', and to HeII with anyone who doesn't want an earful of your needy self-indulgence.
Smoking bans are here to stay as are plain paper wrappers.

I win. You lose.

Australia

#18 Feb 19, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Smoking bans are here to stay as are plain paper wrappers.
I win. You lose.
If wishful thinking were banned you would be plunged into crisis.:)

Location hidden

#19 Feb 19, 2014
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
If wishful thinking were banned you would be plunged into crisis.:)
Wishful thinking did not get the bans that started in 2006 in Australia, nor did wishful thinking get the plain paper packaging. Action got those.

I win. You lose.

Australia

#20 Feb 19, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Wishful thinking did not get the bans that started in 2006 in Australia.
People can still smoke. All that has been addressed are a few petty territorial disputes.
bud_schmones wrote:
nor did wishful thinking get the plain paper packaging.
Typical Prohibitionist mentality ...'plain' dishonest. Think about it.
bud_schmones wrote:
I win. You lose.
As I said ... wishful thinking.

I notice you scuttle away like a cockroach from other issues I raised.

#22 Feb 19, 2014
Muslim Mom wrote:
Cigarettes these one cancer substance in society. Other cancer to society as Whites Racists Australians. Please Australian government also can making all Whites Racists Australians wrapped inside plain brown paper packaging!
Thanks for your rant I now got my sense of humour back, lol.

#23 Feb 19, 2014
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
And what right do governments spend tax payers money on quit programs in the media when governments are investing in the product and taxing us excise and GST from the farm to the end user at the same time disrespecting us by treating us Australian's who pay their wages to manage our affairs not ruin our lives for a buck .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Governor signs bill making Oregon first to offe... 4 hr spytheweb 1
News Church accused of offering to 'cure homosexuali... 6 hr Charles P 5
Morgellons - What I believe it really is (Oct '12) 8 hr Whysoserious 295
News Harbor-UCLA Medical Center cited for safety vio... (Oct '11) 9 hr Human 236
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 16 hr Angela 7,244
News Do You Have a Psychiatrist or a Therapist or BOTH? 22 hr Humanspirit 1
News 3D Dental Scanners Market - Top Segments and Co... Tue yasmine zazi 1
Nudity at doctor's office (Mar '07) Aug 12 2nd Time is a charm 211
More from around the web