Accutane Side Effects Exposed: Side Effects of the Miracle Drug...

Full story: Buzzle.com 2,553
If you suffer from severe case of acne that has failed to respond to conventional treatments such as antibiotics, then your dermatologist may recommend the use of the popular Accutane or Isotretinoin. Full Story
B cuz

Brentwood, CA

#2701 Jul 26, 2012
so 22 years old im on my 2nd day. no side effects but im waiten. im sure they will come .. my acne is mild on my face but bad on my back.... my question is did any1 els have bumps on their face that is my main problem yea i break out but the bumps jus stay their an keep getting worse ... does this medication help for that problem??
Richard

Sarasota, FL

#2702 Aug 2, 2012
I took Accutane on May 2009. On a 80 mg per day dose for 5 months.

It cleared up my acne.

However, I have suffered from horrible hairloss, I'm almost bald.
Doctors says I have a diffuse hairloss pattern.

I have also been diagnosed with a bulged disc on my spine.

And I feel weak and tired almost everyday.
Vpac

Rochdale, UK

#2704 Aug 3, 2012
Dis Abled wrote:
Please stay away from acutane. It is an incredibly harsh drug that is almost always overkill for treating acne.
I took acutane when I was 13 and after only two months on the drug I developed severe and permanent side affects. The whole list would take too long to write down but the important ones were:
-Severe Depression (to the point of suicidal)
-Damaged Joints and Muscles (I wound up in physical therapy for half a year just to be able to walk down stairs again)
-Undiagnosable gastrointestinal issues (to the tune of hospitalization and 30+ pounds of weight lost. Rinse and repeat every five or so years)
Please stay away from this drug, I am 25 now and still dealing with all of these issues. As much as I try to look on the bright side two months on this drug has effectively ruined my life.
No wonder you had all these sides - you took the drug at 13!! What in the world were you thinking ... I'm guessing you weren't and your dermatologist wasn't either! Everyone gets acne at ages 13-18 and the drug should be banned for anyone under 18 years old because you most don't have the common sense to take care of themselves whilst on this drug. I'm not saying this is your fault but your parents and derm should have known better how the hell does someone get prescribed accutane at 13 when you are supposed to be given creams, gels, antibiotics first which should be taken for at least 2 years.
Christopher MacAlister

Germany

#2706 Aug 19, 2012
I've tried both original brand and generic accutane. I prefer generic accutane - There is no difference in effectiveness as far as I can tell between the brand and generic versions. The real difference is price, no comparison. And this suppliers seem honest and reliable. On the site http://z-isotretinoin.info I've just placed my 3rd order.
Joseph

Atlanta, GA

#2707 Aug 24, 2012
This drug is awful and should be banned! I was only on it for 30 days at 60mg per day dose. I've been off it for a month and these horrendous side effects have only gotten worse since.

Before I went on it I was fine and healthy. I had a lot of energy, ate well, and could think clearly. Ever since I've been off it I've suffered from: feeling weak and tired, headaches, poor concentration, hair loss, anxiety, and strange panic attacks that come and go throughout the day.

The doctor said the only thing to worry about is dry skin and he's never had to pull any of his patients off the drug. What a bunch of bullshit! I had to find out the hard way that drug is an absolute nightmare. I also learned the hard way that doctors aren't looking out for what's in your best interest. You can only trust yourself.

I can only hope that these frightening side effects don't get any worse and there's still a chance I'll be normal again.

Jenny

Canada

#2708 Aug 30, 2012
Hi , I had chapped lips and dry skin while taking accutane . My doctor said a solution for this was drinking a lot of Water ,I did and It truly made a diference . I took about 3 -4 ltrs of water a day and I had no chapped lips or dry skin . I recommend you do the same.
Phoebe

Manila, Philippines

#2709 Sep 19, 2012
Liz wrote:
I'm starting my third month and I am still experiencing some acne too. I'd hang in there, each month should get better. I am having severe joint pains and I'm wondering if it is due to the meds or something else. Anyone else having ankle and elbow issues (sounds weird, but it hurts)?
Its accutane, it causes uric acid as well. It makes your bones and joints hurt. Im 39, took it for 4months. Im suffering from severe dry lips with blisters. Im at a tropical country
2016 The Movie

Canton, GA

#2710 Sep 20, 2012
Greg wrote:
I took accutane as a teenager and it changed my life for the better...I've had none of these side effects that are sometimes reported. My nephew and best friend also took accutane and couldn't be any happier with the results...I'm not depressed, I don't have joint pains or headaches or whatever else is being reported...I've been off it for over 8 years and don't feel any different than i did before taking the treatment. These side effects represent a very small percentage of accutane users and maybe one should consider that these statistics coincide with a regular sample of the human population i.e. they would be depressed, have headaches, joint pain regardless.
I took accutane when I was about 25. I had the worst acne you can imagine, painful huge cist on my throat and all down my back. I was made fun of all during high school because of the disfiguring bumps.

The accutane changed everything, I'm 52 this week and have been acne free since taking accutane.

As far as I'm concerned it was worth the risk of side effects, I'm married and have grown children now.

It was a miracle drug for me.
Heyo

Chicago, IL

#2711 Sep 25, 2012
Has anyone experienced consistent green stools while on accutane. I've only been on it for 5 days and did some research but did not find many people have experienced this side effect. Is this serious?
kate

Freeport, NY

#2714 Oct 31, 2012
silverado wrote:
<quoted text>
As a note. Psoriasis is a fungus.
The more you dry skin permanently with accutane the worse your psoriasis will get.
I was googling around and this was brought up on my computer. Usually I would except that their are these type of people out their, but this got to me.
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease. The body falsely identifies glands that produce skin as a pathogen and attack, causing the glands to go into skin production overload.
Isotretinoin is a retinoid. Retinoids have many functions- including regulation of cell proliferation and differentiation and immune function.
And yes during the time you are taking the drug you will have dryness as your body goes through changes. As your sebum glands shrink (less oil) it may feel like you psoriasis is worse than usual. But trust me, If you do a combined treatment of the drug and phototherapy- you won't regret it.
Melissa

Brookfield, WI

#2715 Nov 10, 2012
This drug worked wonders for me. The only side affect I had was the dry skin/hair/lips. My brother on the other hand had body soreness so badly that he had to stop taking it.

I took it ten years ago and haven't suffered any problems. Good luck to those who suffer from terrible acne. It is such a painful experience.
Alexa

Marietta, GA

#2717 Nov 13, 2012
I just started about a week ago and im already very dry. Also, my lower back has been hurting a lot. Is that a normal side effect?
Drew

Miami, FL

#2722 Nov 28, 2012
I am on my 5th month of accutane (Currently on 2 doses of 40mg a day) and I couldn't be happier with the results I am seeing on my face. The first four months were incredibly turbulent, being filled with many moments of crushed optimism, but now I can say with confidence that it is nearly gone. That being said, let's go to the side effects.

INCREDIBLY DRY LIPS. Not the to the point where it hurts, but to the point where I am constantly applying some sort of chap stick (Aquaphor being my personal favorite).

A sore lower back. While this is a side effect that has been reported to be long term in some cases, I am not too concerned at the moment.

Itchy, dry spots everywhere. Arms, legs, ankles, you name it. While this can be helped with moisturizer and lotion, it is still annoying.

Now to address some personal thoughts:

I have not experienced any bit of depression while on Accutane. On the contrary, I was incredibly depressed before, this being possibly attributed to my acne. At the moment, I am the happiest I have been in years. Note: I was aware of this side effect beforehand, so I made a promise to myself not to get depressed. I don't know if this helped, but I have kept my promise.

Hair loss? Not at all for me. My hair is just as long, just as thick, just the same as before.

One thing that I would like to note, however, is that my most recent blood test registered higher glucose levels than prior ones so I am getting retested this upcoming week.

Hope this helped!
maria

Billericay, UK

#2723 Dec 2, 2012
I took the drug 10 years ago and it cleared my skin up. my mum died while i was on the treatment so i put my deperessed feelings down to her death. 10 years on, i am now a mental health nurse as i constantly strived to find out WHY i felt the way i did, for no reason. the only thing i can pinpoint in my life to make me feel, to this day, is this medication!! my immune system shut down as soon as i stated taking it, i had constant kidney infections which continued for years but the depression was always there!! even when i was at my happiest, there was always an under lying depression!! i would have constant feelings of guilt and negitive thoughts. even ten years later, i would still have thoughts of life not worth living and even though they are only fleeting thoughts and i would never act on them, they are still very scarey!!!i would say to anyone who is considering taking this drug, try any/every other alternative before this. YES, it is a wonder drug in the short term, but long term,its hard to say what damage is being done!! please be careful!!!!!!!
Christopher Oldridge

Germany

#2724 Dec 3, 2012
i wrote:
I've tried both original brand and generic accutane. I prefer generic accutane - There is no difference in effectiveness as far as I can tell between the brand and generic versions. The real difference is price, no comparison. And this suppliers seem honest and reliable. On the site http://g-isotretinoin.info I've just placed my 3rd order.
Thanks for that address. http://g-isotretinoin.info has my pills within a week at my door. They perfectly work! I have found them very good value for money. My special discount coupon 1VQY12ZPi3
Orders under $150 are granted a 5% discount; orders above $151 are granted a 10% discount.
You can save your money.
Dr Chris

Riverview, Canada

#2725 Dec 6, 2012
silverado wrote:
<quoted text>
As a note. Psoriasis is a fungus.
The more you dry skin permanently with accutane the worse your psoriasis will get.
It thrives in dry skin because the protective acidic oil mantel and any disruption to it is what controls fungus as well as bacterial infection entry such as staph
It will spread because you will have microcracks all over your body and no lotion contains the correct bio makeup/p.h/ fungal, bacterial enzyme inhibitors as your skin oils do to control its overgrowth.
I only had facial acne when I started accutane. By month 8 or so I exploded with over 200 infections body-wide some the size of quarter.
Subsequent dry lung which led to fungal lung pneumonia. Both of these sent me to the emergency room at 3 am and I nearly lost my life because my immune system was obliterated.
One of the side effects of accutane is destruction of neutrophils.
Neutrophils is one of the largest parts of your immune fighting cells and neccessary to keep pathogens of all kinds under control. This is why my immune system collapsed.
All your doing is shutting off your protective sebum oils that keep your skin YOUNG, SMOOTH, SUPPLE AND WRINKLE FREE and destruction of the protective acidic oil mantel and replacing that with a lifetime use of chemical moisturizer this and chemical that.
I now have calcified granuloma, of the right lung, residual thymus, Spine damage, right shoulder joint damage, massive scarring all over.
This internal damage is evident on MRI and was not evident on MRI one month prior to accutane for a routine physical.
You are making a huge mistake and you like others that fail to listen and plow forward thinking this just some kind of inconveinient dryness will learn like me, tom, accupoisened and many, many others that have found out the hard way.
Your no expert to be giving advice here playing down the side effects as just some kind inconvienient dryness that is resolved with a smorgasborg of lotions and chemicals.
Get used to dry skin for the rest of your life and more.
A fungus????
Wow...misinformation galore. It is an inflammatory autoimmune condition with a genetic predisposition, and not a fungus. If its a fungus, how do you explain psoriatic arthritis and its association to HLA-B27 gene? Also explain why a child of 2 parents with psoriasis has a 68% chance of developing this "fungal skin reaction". Also why would topical corticosteroids and systemic immune modulators work if it were an infection? That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. Get your facts straight.
mishguk

Leeds, UK

#2726 Dec 18, 2012
Vpac wrote:
<quoted text>
No wonder you had all these sides - you took the drug at 13!! What in the world were you thinking ... I'm guessing you weren't and your dermatologist wasn't either! Everyone gets acne at ages 13-18 and the drug should be banned for anyone under 18 years old because you most don't have the common sense to take care of themselves whilst on this drug. I'm not saying this is your fault but your parents and derm should have known better how the hell does someone get prescribed accutane at 13 when you are supposed to be given creams, gels, antibiotics first which should be taken for at least 2 years.
Wow... you sound just like my now 18 year old son. He took this drug 2 years ago and now has no life at all as he goes no where at all .
It would be good to hear back from you as you are in the UK. You can mail me on gmgmg1at aoldotcom
Geoffrey

Anonymous Proxy

#2727 Dec 18, 2012
I have ordered many times from http://noacneqx.info without issue and been pleased with their service and prices, very prompt order fulfillment.to deal with.
Madison

Pearland, TX

#2728 Dec 22, 2012
I dont know what to do. Some of my friends have had terrible experiences with accutane and for others its been a miracle drug. I have had severe cystic acne since i was 14,i am now 20 and my condition has worsened. Im scared to take this drug but im going to be starting on it within a few weeks cause i cant take the pain and scarring any longer. Years ago i had taken oral antibiotics for my skin with no results. Except the loss of my eyebrows! They have fallen out almost completely and have barely grown back. I am willing to risk the depression and dry skin side effects,but am not willing to lose my long pretty hair,its the only attractive quality i have left. Please i want feedback,what should i do!? Realistically should i expect to lose a substantial amount of hair?
to your health

Los Angeles, CA

#2729 Dec 22, 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'God has brought me through' 1 hr Truth 37
Smokers in NYC increase to 1 million 1 hr julian 1
Man walks 85 miles for Alzheimer's 3 hr Joe Smo 1
Bill takes aim at NJ beach smokers (Mar '14) 6 hr Joey Clams 9
Obama Plans Major Ebola Offensive 8 hr lnxyw0414 1
Glandular Cystitis Herbal Treatment 8 hr lnxyw0414 1
APNewsBreak: NY bid to halt Alzheimer's drug swap 9 hr Carla 1
Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 19 hr britt_91 5,947
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Health People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••