Tests show no rabies danger to people...

Tests show no rabies danger to people from dog in Seymour that was euthanized

There are 44 comments on the KYTV Springfield story from May 2, 2012, titled Tests show no rabies danger to people from dog in Seymour that was euthanized. In it, KYTV Springfield reports that:

Macy was exposed to a rabid skunk, and rabies can take as long as six months to show up in an animal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KYTV Springfield.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Annoyed by a moron

Burlington, IA

#45 Mar 6, 2013
PoGo wrote:
<quoted text>I think you should learn to spell then teach your brother who is not smart enough to fight this fight.By the way, What happened to his christianity?
I think you should learn proper grammar and punctuation. There should be a comma after "spell". You're missing a space before "By the way...". Also, "What" should not be capitalized because it's not the beginning of a sentence, nor is it a proper word... such as Christianity, which should be capitalized.
Marshfield

Ozark, MO

#46 Apr 7, 2013
Your Dog would never have his head cut off for testing if it has been vaccinated. The dog from Seymour had NO shots. The dog had came in contact with a rabied animal. So there was a choice, have the dog quarantined in a APPROVED vet office or have the dog euthanized and tested. In this case EVERY vet office in Webster county was called and asked to quarantine the dog at the owners expense. They all refused because of the liability of have a potentially rabied dog in human contact. The Seymour pound ordered the dog could not be held there because of the liability. So if no APPROVED LOCATION would quartine the dog then there was no other option but to put the dog down. If the dog had it's shot he could have been held at home and watched but because of it DIDN'T you can't take a risk to the rest of the public because a irresponsible dog owner failed to get his dog shots!!!!
Glad I found this page- wrote:
Marshfield, you are so wrong. My dog has been vaccinated. He picked up a small, dead varmint.(A stiff one that had been dead a long time, not a fresh one.) Anyway, I called the vet to see if he could get sick. Wow, what a mess I created. They contacted the health dept. and told me to call them too. I provided papers of his shots to the Health Department as they asked. He was quarantined for 45 days. On the phone, I was also told they can come in anytime, take the dog, and send in the dogs head for testing, even though we elect to have him quarantined. What a shocking and awful thing to hear from anyone! My attorney said it should be 10 days, not 45! The state disagreed! So who is right?

Since: Dec 11

Bethany Beach, DE

#47 Apr 14, 2013
I see the opinion's on both sides, but it is pathetic this dog was put down. Yes, the owner should have had the dog vaccinated, but he didn't, just like the rest of us he is not 100% perfect..

The dog didn't have any open skin wounds, was not bitten so the transmission of rabies was not an issue with no open wounds.

The state law is 10 days quarantine, this is copied directly off the state website:
"The only species for which the 10-day quarantine is formally recognized are dogs, cats, and
ferrets. Wild animals are never quarantined (they are euthanized and tested, with the
exception of very low-risk species such as lagomorphs and small rodents). Large domestic
animals (cattle, horses, etc.) and captive wild animals (e.g., non-human primates) are
handled on a case-by-case basis."

Here is the link I copied the above info from, so you don't think I am making it up:
http://health.mo.gov/living/healthcondiseases...
I am sure if the owner was given an option of paying for 10 days quarantine, they would have done it for a family pet, but they were not given that option. Being the health department went against state law of 10 days,(not 6 months, where the health department came up with that crap, who knows!) I hope Macy's owner gets a darn good attorney.
Marshfield

Rogersville, MO

#48 Apr 15, 2013
The dog came in contact with a rabbid skunk. Skunk bites are so small that a Vet can't tell on a dog if there could be puncture wounds. So like I said the owner was given a choice to quarantine the dog at a APPROVED facility (Vet office, city pound,) with NO human contact. Every Vet office refused to accept the dog because of liability. The dog could not stay at the owners house because the dog DID NOT have shots. So there was no choice but for the dog to be put down. No one wanted that. I know both the health dept and owner called vet offices to try to quartine but no one would accept the dog. They were given the choice. Those are the facts. Luke needs to accept responsibility and stop blaming others for his inaction. It's a sad thing but if the dog had shots this wouldn't have happened. Those are the facts!!
LiIRebel wrote:
I see the opinion's on both sides, but it is pathetic this dog was put down. Yes, the owner should have had the dog vaccinated, but he didn't, just like the rest of us he is not 100% perfect..
The dog didn't have any open skin wounds, was not bitten so the transmission of rabies was not an issue with no open wounds.
The state law is 10 days quarantine, this is copied directly off the state website:
"The only species for which the 10-day quarantine is formally recognized are dogs, cats, and
ferrets. Wild animals are never quarantined (they are euthanized and tested, with the
exception of very low-risk species such as lagomorphs and small rodents). Large domestic
animals (cattle, horses, etc.) and captive wild animals (e.g., non-human primates) are
handled on a case-by-case basis."
Here is the link I copied the above info from, so you don't think I am making it up:
http://health.mo.gov/living/healthcondiseases...
I am sure if the owner was given an option of paying for 10 days quarantine, they would have done it for a family pet, but they were not given that option. Being the health department went against state law of 10 days,(not 6 months, where the health department came up with that crap, who knows!) I hope Macy's owner gets a darn good attorney.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mums sick of kids' illnesses - 18 times a year 34 min Crystal_Clear722 24
News Why American Researchers Want To Use Cuba's Can... (May '15) 53 min Francis Drake 41
News Bernie Sanders's claim that '36,000 people will... 2 hr Democrats R LIARS 36
bath in hospital 4 hr kirton 1
school medical 4 hr kirton 1
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 5 hr chilledice67 7,078
News Donald Trump may have just destroyed the Republ... 6 hr FYI 16
Nudity at doctor's office (Mar '07) 7 hr Well-Endowed 132
Esophagus Spasm - How my mom STOPS her Esophage... (May '12) Jan 14 Kay 254
More from around the web