Gloucester wins grant for cigarette p...

Gloucester wins grant for cigarette problem at Beaverdam

There are 70 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Jun 24, 2013, titled Gloucester wins grant for cigarette problem at Beaverdam. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

Gloucester County has received a $500 grant to help solve its problem with smokers tossing cigarette butts around Beaverdam Park.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Freddy

Gloucester, VA

#1 Jul 20, 2013
This situation has an easy fix, make it a non-smoking/zero tobacco use park!

If they can't figure out how to use an ashtray, then fine the crap out of them for using ANY tobacco product inside the park.

Use the fines to pay for the clean-up of the butts.

Since: Dec 13

Location hidden

#2 Jan 24, 2014
Put ash trays or bins in place and people will use them. If not, many people (myself included), will continue to drop them on the floor.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#3 Jan 24, 2014
missnoname123 wrote:
Put ash trays or bins in place and people will use them. If not, many people (myself included), will continue to drop them on the floor.
You, dear, are a litterbug. FILTH. Look at yourself in the mirror. UGLY. That is what we see. Next time you go to Walmart- look at the ground by the ashtrays. Filth like you drops their butts on the ground. All over the place. Hundreds of butts. Then you sit there and piss and moan when we ban you from smoking "It's outdoors, why should that bother you?" It bothers us because you stink like ass and you litter. After you get done littering in front of the store, you go in and breathe heavily while looking at food. When you walk away, someone has to stand where you were just standing and all they can smell is fetid breath. Keep on littering and you will see more bans cover more outdoor areas. Some day it will get to the point that the only place you will be able to smoke is inside your own single family detached home as long as their are no children present and as long as you do not employ someone inside your house. As you sit back and winder how this happened, just remember that you were once too f^^^ing lazy to find a spot to dispose of your cigarette butts where they did not become unsightly and unhealthy litter.
Smokin Baboons

Winnipeg, Canada

#4 Jan 24, 2014
missnoname123 wrote:
Yea right, just like emptying your car ashtray in a parking lot. Something in cigarettes causes definite regression back to cave dwellers. OOH OOH AAH AAH

Location hidden

#5 Jan 24, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
You, dear, are a litterbug. FILTH. Look at yourself in the mirror. UGLY. That is what we see. Next time you go to Walmart- look at the ground by the ashtrays. Filth like you drops their butts on the ground. All over the place. Hundreds of butts. Then you sit there and piss and moan when we ban you from smoking "It's outdoors, why should that bother you?" It bothers us because you stink like ass and you litter. After you get done littering in front of the store, you go in and breathe heavily while looking at food. When you walk away, someone has to stand where you were just standing and all they can smell is fetid breath. Keep on littering and you will see more bans cover more outdoor areas. Some day it will get to the point that the only place you will be able to smoke is inside your own single family detached home as long as their are no children present and as long as you do not employ someone inside your house. As you sit back and winder how this happened, just remember that you were once too f^^^ing lazy to find a spot to dispose of your cigarette butts where they did not become unsightly and unhealthy litter.
I've been called many things, but not ugly. Most men find me very attractive actually. I don't drop my butts on the ground where there's an ash tray. When there isn't one I use a bin, but sometimes there are no bins either - what else are you to do! I find people who have BO offensive, their smell lingers far longer. It's not about being lazy, if the facilities are not there it doesn't matter how much good will you have, you can't use them. Put ash trays or some form of disposal unit in place and I'll use it, if not they're getting dropped on the floor. They're tiny anyway and rot away in no time. Also what about those that cause permanent damage dropping chewing gum? Smokers are a small part of the problem.

Location hidden

#6 Jan 24, 2014
Smokin Baboons wrote:
<quoted text> Yea right, just like emptying your car ashtray in a parking lot. Something in cigarettes causes definite regression back to cave dwellers. OOH OOH AAH AAH
I've only emptied it in a parking lot on rare occasions, but in fairness where are the bins? People moan when we throw them out of the window, so I tend to use the ash tray then get flamed!

Nothing you say will change my mind, I'm not stopping smoking in my car or house. I will use ash trays on all occasions where possible, however, I can't be responsible for a lack of bins etc. Take that up with your local authority.
Die Already

Winnipeg, Canada

#8 Jan 25, 2014
missnoname123 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've only emptied it in a parking lot on rare occasions, but in fairness where are the bins? People moan when we throw them out of the window, so I tend to use the ash tray then get flamed!
Nothing you say will change my mind, I'm not stopping smoking in my car or house. I will use ash trays on all occasions where possible, however, I can't be responsible for a lack of bins etc. Take that up with your local authority.
Every butt you create is your responsibility to dispose of. Lack of bins is no excuse. Dump your ashtray in your own garbage can. Don't throw packaging or butts out of car windows or toss on the ground. Have some class.

Location hidden

#9 Jan 26, 2014
missnoname123 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, we are doing just that:
http://fox2now.com/2013/12/31/new-illinois-la ...
ďA couple of court cases recently here made them change the law so it specifically targets flicking the cigarette butt so there is no confusion on if itís actually littering or not,Ē Illinois State Trooper Calvin Dye, Jr. said.
If you think $1,500 is high, try the third offense. That carries a $25,000 fine and jail time as a Class D felony.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/cig ...
Cigarette litterbugs pay $3m in fines after being dobbed in to EPA
You notice that people are calling in these litterers.

Here is a program in Texas (and many other states have it):
http://www.dontmesswithtexas.org/programs/rep ...

And here is the ULTIMATE result in littering activities:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/23/new.york.smo ...

I do report cigarette litterers. I video them and send it in with my report.
Here is a cigarette litter convict complaining about having to pick up litter. He should be in jail where he is unable to smoke. Make him spend weekends in jail. That way, he starts smoking during the week and has to nicfit all weekend over and over again.
Make PUFFERS SUFFER

Winnipeg, Canada

#10 Jan 26, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
ďA couple of court cases recently here made them change the law so it specifically targets flicking the cigarette butt so there is no confusion on if itís actually littering or not,Ē Illinois State Trooper Calvin Dye, Jr. said.
If you think $1,500 is high, try the third offense. That carries a $25,000 fine and jail time as a Class D felony.
Here is a cigarette litter convict complaining about having to pick up litter. He should be in jail where he is unable to smoke. Make him spend weekends in jail. That way, he starts smoking during the week and has to nicfit all weekend over and over again.
AWESOME your best post ever!!!

Location hidden

#11 Jan 26, 2014
Make PUFFERS SUFFER wrote:
<quoted text> AWESOME your best post ever!!!
Thanks
I try
:-)

Location hidden

#12 Jan 26, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Here are the links to the story. I especially LOVE the last one. Some smoker is complaining that he has COPD and cannot pick up litter that he threw on the ground.
Tobacco Victims

Winnipeg, Canada

#14 Jan 26, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Here are the links to the story. I especially LOVE the last one. Some smoker is complaining that he has COPD and cannot pick up litter that he threw on the ground.
That sums it up, a useless smoker and even more useless human being.

Location hidden

#15 Jan 26, 2014
Tobacco Victims wrote:
<quoted text> That sums it up, a useless smoker and even more useless human being.
I could not have said it better myself.

Location hidden

#16 Jan 27, 2014
missnoname123 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been called many things, but not ugly. Most men find me very attractive actually. I don't drop my butts on the ground where there's an ash tray. When there isn't one I use a bin, but sometimes there are no bins either - what else are you to do! I find people who have BO offensive, their smell lingers far longer. It's not about being lazy, if the facilities are not there it doesn't matter how much good will you have, you can't use them. Put ash trays or some form of disposal unit in place and I'll use it, if not they're getting dropped on the floor. They're tiny anyway and rot away in no time. Also what about those that cause permanent damage dropping chewing gum? Smokers are a small part of the problem.
I am sorry for not being more explicit. When I said ugly, I was not referring to the outward appearance, although smoking definitely has a negative impact on looks. I was referring to your soul. Any soul that would deliberately litter is ugly. Any soul that would litter with something that could cause devastating fires is black of soul. You drop your butts on the ground when there is not an ashtray present. I can only imagine what you do when you visit someone for dinner. "Nobody put a garbage can by my seat, so I tossed the rest of the food on the floor." "Nobody put a toilet by the couch where I could watch tv, so when I had to go, I just,,,,,,, By the way, sorry about the stink, and I am still pretty, aren't I?
michael bern

Tunisia

#17 Jan 27, 2014
The effects of smoking are serious. It can harm nearly every organ of the body. It causes nearly one of every five deaths in the United States each year.
http://www.titobuzz.com/index.php/english/107...
Tom

Gloucester, VA

#18 Jan 27, 2014
missnoname123 wrote:
<quoted text>
"I find people who have BO offensive, their smell lingers far longer. It's not about being lazy, if the facilities are not there it doesn't matter how much good will you have, you can't use them."
Since when ever has BO caused a forest fire Miss NoName? Since when has halitosis left debris all over the place for other people to have to clean up? Since when has "second-hand bodily stink been proven to cause cancer.

I think I would rather you kept your disgustingly intolerant judgemental attitude and your filthy personal habits to yourself!

Keep smokin' girl you will see your beautiful skin surrender to baggy eyes and crows feet all over your face in no time at all. Soon all the Mary Kay in the whole world won't be enough to cover the damage on your face and we won't even discuss the "other" things smoking will definitely do for you, you vain little thing.

Location hidden

#19 Jan 31, 2014
Here in Europe we're a bit more tolerant of others than you clearly are. I didn't say I wouldn't walk to a bin/ashtray, I do, but in some cases there are no bins or ashtrays. If dropping the odd end makes me a litterer then I'm sorry but that's the way it is. I do empty my ash tray in my bin, and don't usually throw ends etc out of the window - it's why I have the ash tray! I've even emptied it on the car floor before!

If I drop them on the ground, I make sure they're stamped out to avoid fires, though I'm not sure how that would happen on hard tarmac ground etc, it's more so people (children in particular) don't burn themselves. I've no idea what halitosis is, I've never heard of it.

Your attitude is just as intolerant as mine, it's the opposite! At one of the places I go to the 'smoking area' outside has no ash trays! Or bins?! So guess what, the floor is covered in ends. We've asked for ash trays but not got them - what are we to do? We can't take ends inside incase we get accused of smoking inside, we can't use an ashtray because there isn't one!

I don't throw food on the floor, piss on their floors (unless it's outside when I'm sure we've all done it) as I know that there is a bin/toilet nearby. I'm not planning to smoke forever, I'll certainly give up before I try for children, but for now I want to continue as I like doing it. I'm completely reasonable about it - I don't care what people think. No bins or ash trays and I'll drop it. Nobody over hear complains about it, it keeps people in jobs and the only downside for me is that I get black marks on the bottoms of my shoes.
Nick Fitt

Winnipeg, Canada

#20 Jan 31, 2014
missnoname123 wrote:
Here in Europe we're a bit more tolerant of others than you clearly are. I didn't say I wouldn't walk to a bin/ashtray, I do, but in some cases there are no bins or ashtrays. If dropping the odd end makes me a litterer then I'm sorry but that's the way it is. I do empty my ash tray in my bin, and don't usually throw ends etc out of the window - it's why I have the ash tray! I've even emptied it on the car floor before!
If I drop them on the ground, I make sure they're stamped out to avoid fires, though I'm not sure how that would happen on hard tarmac ground etc, it's more so people (children in particular) don't burn themselves. I've no idea what halitosis is, I've never heard of it.
Your attitude is just as intolerant as mine, it's the opposite! At one of the places I go to the 'smoking area' outside has no ash trays! Or bins?! So guess what, the floor is covered in ends. We've asked for ash trays but not got them - what are we to do? We can't take ends inside incase we get accused of smoking inside, we can't use an ashtray because there isn't one!
I don't throw food on the floor, piss on their floors (unless it's outside when I'm sure we've all done it) as I know that there is a bin/toilet nearby. I'm not planning to smoke forever, I'll certainly give up before I try for children, but for now I want to continue as I like doing it. I'm completely reasonable about it - I don't care what people think. No bins or ash trays and I'll drop it. Nobody over hear complains about it, it keeps people in jobs and the only downside for me is that I get black marks on the bottoms of my shoes.
Trash begets Trash

Location hidden

#21 Jan 31, 2014
Not quite sure what you mean by that, but if you want to drop ends in my garden then go for it, but you'll find there's always an ashtray so no need!

What next - I'm not allowed to wear shoes in my house because I might get dirt in?

Location hidden

#22 Jan 31, 2014
missnoname123 wrote:
I've no idea what halitosis is, I've never heard of it.
Halitosis is a malady that smokers suffer from. Smoker's breath smells like fart. Cheese fart, to be more precise. With hang time. Walking around in the store you can always tell when a heavy smoker has just stood where you are at. There is a stench, with a but of swampiness underlying it. That odor emanates from a smoker's mouth. The air that comes out begins in the lungs by absorbing stale tar and other smoke odors. It then moves up the irritated and oozing passages of the windpipe. From there, it crosses the tobacco smoked tongue as it passes the slowly seeping gum disease caused by smoking. Each and every bit of the way, it picks up an increasing amount of stench. From there it broadcasts itself to the public much like a newly stepped in pile of dog feces does to the unfortunate soul who happens upon it.

Does that explain halitosis?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why do women wear such short skirts (Jun '11) 1 hr ricky 46
News Problems With Some Patients At Mid-State Pain C... (Aug '09) 3 hr vbrown 325
News The Latest: Insurer says cost-sharing will stab... 3 hr mike pence veep 1
News Early Pregnancy Symptom - How To Detect Pregnan... (Jun '07) 4 hr Nancy 389
News Developing nations are taking the lead on healt... 5 hr Trumpsajoke 13
News The Best Meat Pies in Toronto 7 hr Scone 1
News President Trump gestures to the crowd while lea... 7 hr Hostis Publicus 5
Nudity at doctor's office (Mar '07) Jun 21 David 176
More from around the web