Gardasil shot's pain is worth it, doctors say

Jan 9, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

“But the pain is not so bad that it's preventing girls from coming back for their second and third doses.”

A much-debated vaccine to prevent cervical cancer in girls and young women is getting a reputation as one of the most painful childhood shots, but the sting isn't enough to turn away patients, Rochester-area ... via Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

Comments
1 - 20 of 30 Comments Last updated Oct 16, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
monica

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2008

Well I just got my first shot and let me tell you it's not easy but it is worth it.
Lisa

Rochester, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Yeah, except getting regular Pap smears and practicing safe sex give you a better chance of avoiding cancer than Gardasil does. Nevermind the fact that Merck admits getting the shot when you're already infected with HPV actually INCREASES the cancer risk, yet doesn't recommend any screening before administration. Yeah, I'll pass on this for me and my kids, thanks.
Nick

West Chester, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2008

Me and my girlfriend were both virgins when we met. We have only been with eachother and no one else. Is there any point in her getting the shot? I always felt that the LESS chemicals you injected into your body the better, so I don't want her to spend the money for a vaccine that she dosn't even need.

“I work for you. It's my job. ”

Since: May 08

Charlotte, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2008

Lisa wrote:
Yeah, except getting regular Pap smears and practicing safe sex give you a better chance of avoiding cancer than Gardasil does. Nevermind the fact that Merck admits getting the shot when you're already infected with HPV actually INCREASES the cancer risk, yet doesn't recommend any screening before administration. Yeah, I'll pass on this for me and my kids, thanks.
That's really weird about the increase in cancer risk because the studies I've seen (NOT conducted by Merk) have shown a decrease in risk (see this link for a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine by Australian researchers last May). The vaccine boosts the body's immune reaction and therefore helps fight off the infection faster. New theraputic vaccines are currently in development that will help cell-mediated immunity destroy the virus more effectively than the preventitive vaccine on the market now. It is pretty friggin expensive for all three shots of Gardisil, but it can save you a ton of money later on repeat Paps and Colposcopy/LEEP/CONE procedures, which your OB/GYN is going to insist you have done in order to identify and remove pre-cancerous lesions on your cervix. Considering that cervical cancer is the 2nd deadliest cancer among women (lung cancer is a distant 1st), I'll take any protection I can get, and I hope you reconsider--if not for yourself, then for your daughers' sake. Not that we all shouldn't be getting regular Paps and practicing safer sex, but an extra mode of protection can save a lot of stress and money and pain from intrusive gynecologic procedures later on.

Charlotte, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2008

http://content.nejm.org.pallas2.tcl.sc.edu/cg...

--Australian Gardisil Clinical Trial
Kristen

Cardington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2008

I think that any vaccine that prevents cancer is wonderful... I just got my first injection and it wasn't even that bad... Even if you aren't planning on being sexually active what if your future mate has been? And what about rape? You don't really have control over that either.
christina

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2008

I got my 1st shot a few days ago & let me just say, it hurt like hell. Not to mention the side effects that came along with it made it more unpleasant. Reading a lot of other stories that girls have wrote, make me feel a little uneasy about getting the other 2 shots needed. Not sure what to do.

Charlotte, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2008

christina wrote:
I got my 1st shot a few days ago & let me just say, it hurt like hell. Not to mention the side effects that came along with it made it more unpleasant. Reading a lot of other stories that girls have wrote, make me feel a little uneasy about getting the other 2 shots needed. Not sure what to do.
I'm not sure exactly how severe the side effects were for you, but I do know that having a chunk of my cervix surgically removed hurt a hell of a lot more than getting those three shots did. You'll just have to weigh the risks (i.e. how many partners you have, whether or not you use condoms-which have been shown to reduce the trnsmission rate by about 25% or so, Whether cervical cancer runs in your family, whether you get regular checks ups to catch abnormal cells early, whether you have insurance to cover any procedures to remove pre-cancerous/cancerous cells, etc. against the pain and side effects and cost of the vaccine. I hope you find a balance! Good luck to you. If your in a long-term monogamous relationship, you're probably not at that high of risk, so there's always that to consider, too.
Mercedes

Winter Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2008

Im Really Scared To Have These Shots!!
From The Looks Of It And The Hearings Of It Im
Really Scared. Im Only 14 And Pain Isnt My Thing
But If It Helps Me In The Future Aww What The Heck.
Harveysjule

Winona Lake, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2008

Go to www.909shot.com and learn more about it!! By NON- drug manufacturing companies.
Danielle

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

I just my first shot the other day and it HURT! But its 2 days later and my arm is still sore! I dont wanna get the other 2 but there was no point in gettin this one then. I'll go thru with them
whitney

Savannah, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

i got the garadasil shot and im gettin painful headaches and dizzyness.please do not get this shot!!!read what other people have to say about it.please again do not get this shot
Emma

Coventry, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2008

I think that the dizzyness and headaches and other side affects that may occur outweigh the what actually happens when you contract HPV. It is painful, embarrassing and dangerous and if serious may effect you chances of giving birth.
I would rethink and look up what happens when you have HPV and how serious the disease actually is before you decide not to get the shot over vomitting!!!
Sally Smith

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2008

I have had the first two shots for it. I do have to admit they do not feel to great. I felt the second one hurt worse then the first because i knew what to except. Hopefully the third one won't hurt as bad, although I heard it hurt the worst. Is that true?
Concerned Parent

Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2009

So I have had the whole series, and I did not experience any negative side effect. I did not even think that the injection site hurt, but maybe that is just because I was not scared. I was more than anything glad to be able to get the vaccination because I know the benefits. Being an aspiring OB/GYN, I know the consequences of HPV and have seen Cervical Cancer with my own eyes. That is enough to want to go through with the vaccinations for me!
shen

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2009

i just got my first shot yesterday.
and it really hurts.
i have a horrible headache, im dizzy, and i have a fever. i really dont want to get the other two.
sammy

Mount Vernon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2009

i had all three and i didnt think the first 2 were that bad but the 3rd one hurt like hell. im not that bad with needles but the 3rd one felt like oil being injected into my arm, isnt fun
Jennifer

Mason City, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

absolutely worth any pain. All shots hurt, this one can save your life and a lot of pain down the road. It didn't hurt any more than the Hep B shots all school children are required to get in Illinois.
leah

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2010

Got my first shot today. Shot itself doesn't hurt just the medicine burns a bit and arm feels bruised. I will never regret or rethink finishing the series because my health is way too important if I can possibly avoid cancer with a shot why not do it.
FBOMBER

Winkler, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2011

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wichita Falls Smoking Ordinance Goes Into Effect 36 min Official Historian 13
Fitness-related traits in bipolar disorder rela... 1 hr humanSpirit 1
Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 1 hr mcapricee 5,924
Study: Combining vaccines boosts polio immunity 2 hr WARNING FDA APPROVED 1
Drug used in dementia carries kidney risk 2 hr WARNING FDA APPROVED 2
HIV is a Gay Disease (Oct '06) 2 hr Rudy 284
Thomson Reuters Collaborates with Susan G. Kome... 4 hr Anonymous 2

Search the Health Forum:
•••