Breast Cancer Overdiagnosis Estimated at 31%, Say Researchers

Dec 21, 2012 Full story: Cancer Treatment

Breast cancer screening programs using mammograms have led to 1.3 million women aged 40 and up to be overdiagnosed with breast cancer over the last thirty-two years, according to a study appearing in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Full Story
Gail Perry

Clearwater, FL

#1 Dec 21, 2012
Excuse me? Overdiagnosed? Those cells weren't cancerous?

Even at the earliest stage, about 5% of women eventually die. That's one in 20. If we were passing on treating something that killed one in twenty children when we could have saved them, the outcry would be horrendous.

These researchers need to remove their heads from where they store their data and look around. We're talking about real people, individuals who have children, loved ones, who want to live the rest of their lives, not have it cut off by 45 because some statistician said the odds were in their favor when they were 38.

Sometimes breast cancer spreads very, very early in spite of aggressive treatment.

Unconscionable to even print such an article. It's an outrage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should the U.S. Do More to Address the Ebola Ou... 3 hr justsayin 157
Botox approved for use as migraine cure on NHS.... (Jul '10) 4 hr Dean Nason 2
Dr. Peter Wong sucks (Jul '09) 6 hr rmaro 744
Sam's Club Launches Electronic Medical Record (... (Apr '09) 8 hr Calvin James 2
Incentives push doctors to electronic medical r... (May '13) 8 hr Calvin James 2
The flu vaccine is imperfect, but please get it... 8 hr APV 1
As Statewide Smoking Ban Burns Out in Capitol, ... 10 hr generalsn1234567 1
Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) Thu Cece 6,016
More from around the web