Body Image: Four-Year-Olds 'Feeling P...

Body Image: Four-Year-Olds 'Feeling Pressure'

There are 15 comments on the Tay FM story from Mar 22, 2013, titled Body Image: Four-Year-Olds 'Feeling Pressure'. In it, Tay FM reports that:

Pressure to live up to unrealistic body images leaves many youngsters with anxiety issues, low self-esteem and eating disorders, according to the poll by the Association of Teachers and Lecturers .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Tay FM.

HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#1 Mar 23, 2013
The issue is weight control again under disguise by the Mental Health Industry that lacks any credibility under the profession to speak truthfully on the issue.

Weight gain is the direct result of pharmaceutical medication such as anti depressants or any of the mind drugs especially for bi-polar disorder and ADD/ADHD and those drugs that caused Diabetes and the drugs used to control the blood sugars.

Lets stop the bullshit and lies on the diets that children and adults are suffering as a result of the scumbags of medicine and psychiatry and their attempt to hide their cash cow of profits with medical prescriptions that serve no purpose other then side effects that damage health and cost the government or people more money

Lets face the facts, There is no science to the mental health industry. No medical model. NO evidence based medicine. No test for chemical imbalance of the brain to which the APA (USA) admitted to the falsehood in 2004. The industry is based on hearsay and is political and is damaging the mental stability of people including children and is a threat to the health and welfare of all societies

Inside the Battle to Define Mental Illness

Every so often Al Frances says something that seems to surprise even him. Just now, for instance, in the predawn darkness of his comfortable, rambling home in Carmel, California, he has broken off his exercise routine to declare that “there is no definition of a mental disorder. It’s bullshit. I mean, you just can’t define it.” Then an odd, reflective look crosses his face, as if he’s taking in the strangeness of this scene: Allen Frances, lead editor of the fourth edition of the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (universally known as the DSM-IV), the guy who wrote the book on mental illness, confessing that “these concepts are virtually impossible to define precisely with bright lines at the boundaries.” For the first time in two days, the conversation comes to an awkward halt.

Pasted from < http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/12/ff_dsmv... ;

There are no genetic tests, no brain scans, blood tests, chemical imbalance tests or X-rays that can scientifically/medically prove that any psychiatric disorder is a medical condition.

-----
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#2 Mar 23, 2013
Don't forget that insulin for the diabetic cause a great deal of weight gain.
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#3 Mar 23, 2013
If we haven't destroyed the metabolism by the psycho mind drugs by bogus diagnoses from the Mental Health Industry leading to diabetes and high blood pressure too then surely Mental Health Industry will attempt counseling for weight and prescribe a mind drug creating more weight gain and profits for their industry.
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#4 Mar 23, 2013
Why your kid is drugged in school

How it works:

The State Department of Education gets monies from the Federal Government (Disability) under a program called "IDEA" for each child diagnosed with a disability. A disability could be ADD/ADHD, Bi-polar disorder, Depression or any of the other mental diagnoses.

Who profits: The State Department of Education, the mental health and counseling Industry, the Pharmaceutical company and the money that is kicked back by lobbyists for politicians special interest and of course the legal profession.

All this at the cost of your child's Health and welfare.

----------IDEA" Final Regulation (part 1 of 2)

300.7 Child with a disability.

(a) General.

(1) As used in this part, the term child with a disability means a child evaluated in accordance with §§300.530-300.536 as having mental retardation, a hearing impairment including deafness, a speech or language impairment, a visual impairment including blindness, serious emotional disturbance (hereafter referred to as emotional disturbance), an orthopedic impairment, autism, traumatic brain injury, an other health impairment, a specific learning disability, deaf-blindness, or multiple disabilities, and who, by reason thereof, needs special education and related services.(i) The term means a condition exhibiting one or more of the following characteristics over a long period of time and to a marked degree that adversely affects a child's educational performance:(A) An inability to learn that cannot be explained by intellectual, sensory, or health factors.(B) An inability to build or maintain satisfactory interpersonal relationships with peers and teachers.(C) Inappropriate types of behavior or feelings under normal circumstances.(D) A general pervasive mood of unhappiness or depression.(E) A tendency to develop physical symptoms or fears associated with personal or school problems.(ii) The term includes schizophrenia. The term does not apply to children who are socially maladjusted, unless it is determined that they have an emotional disturbance. 9) Other health impairment means having limited strength, vitality or alertness, including a heightened alertness to environmental stimuli, that results in limited alertness with respect to the educational environment, that-(i) Is due to chronic or acute health problems such as asthma, attention deficit disorder or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, diabetes, epilepsy, a heart condition, hemophilia, lead poisoning, leukemia, nephritis, rheumatic fever, and sickle cell anemia; and (ii) Adversely affects a child's educational performance §300.24 Related services.(a) General. As used in this part, the term related services means transportation and such developmental, corrective, and other supportive services as are required to assist a child with a disability.(9) Psychological services includes-(i) Administering psychological and educational tests, and other assessment procedures; (ii) Interpreting assessment results; (iii) Obtaining, integrating, and interpreting information about child behavior and conditions relating to learning; (iv) Consulting with other staff members in planning school programs to meet the special needs of children as indicated by psychological tests, interviews, and behavioral evaluations; (v) Planning and managing a program of psychological services, including psychological counseling for children and parents; and (vi) Assisting in developing positive behavioral intervention strategies.---------
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#5 Mar 23, 2013
Inside the Battle to Define Mental Illness

Every so often Al Frances says something that seems to surprise even him. Just now, for instance, in the predawn darkness of his comfortable, rambling home in Carmel, California, he has broken off his exercise routine to declare that “there is no definition of a mental disorder. It’s bullshit. I mean, you just can’t define it.” Then an odd, reflective look crosses his face, as if he’s taking in the strangeness of this scene: Allen Frances, lead editor of the fourth edition of the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (universally known as the DSM-IV), the guy who wrote the book on mental illness, confessing that “these concepts are virtually impossible to define precisely with bright lines at the boundaries.” For the first time in two days, the conversation comes to an awkward halt.

Pasted from < http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/12/ff_dsmv... ;

There are no genetic tests, no brain scans, blood tests, chemical imbalance tests or X-rays that can scientifically/medically prove that any psychiatric disorder is a medical condition.
Been there

United States

#6 Mar 23, 2013
As someone who went through a depressive hell as a child, I take issue with the stand against medication. In my family, clinical depression has run wild through several generations. My father committed suicide. I barely got through high school, unable to meet the simplest challenges and thinking it was my fault that I was failing, self-injuring, and reclusive. It wasn't until I got on the right SSRI that my life opened up and the depression lifted. Let me tell you, medication HELPS!!! It took years, but these days I actually LOVE my life. My act is together! So don't go telling people that there is no medical model. If SSRIs had been around when I was a kid, I would have been a powerhouse. I am now! Medicine may not be an exact science, but by God, 40 mg of Prozac wins hands down over a shotgun barrel between the teeth! I'm glad we've come as far as we have in understanding the mind-body connections, and for the sake of other kids who are dying inside, I hope we continue to make progress in treating depression. Nobody deserves to feel that way.
Been there

United States

#7 Mar 23, 2013
As for young children being affected by unrealistic body "standards", at some point we need to step outside ourselves and realize how the media shape our attitudes, and just bring it to a screeching halt.
Teen girls' and women's magazines are nothing more than advertising vehicles. Even the sparse "articles" buried in page after page of airbrushed ads are just advertising MORE products. We actually pay for our own indoctrination.
It's insidious and plays to our insecurities.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#8 Mar 23, 2013
Without a test for chemical imbalance the mental health, the "psychiatric diagnosis" is limited in the ancillary tests of medicine like an EKG, EEG, blood work or other tests in the diagnoses of a patient. They aren't really needed in Psychiatry.

I think you can see, and probably know, as a student, that the psychiatric diagnosis is made on the basis of behavior or spoken words or the hearsay from a neighor, friend, estranged husband/wife who may very well be making a false allegation or creating a position in a court of law for their advantage. I am sure that Medicare or Disability and insurances play a large part in the diagnoses. Basically you are making a diagnoses on the physiological differences between the so called "mentally ill" and the "normal" without knowing what a proper and healthy chemical "balance" look like?" There is no test.

If we respect metabolic changes based on daily dietary habits, weight gain / loss , terms of the survival of the organisms as a person age along with physical conditioning, physical illness, electrolyte level, gender differences , body temperature, I don't see where the Mental Health and Counseling Industry could conform to any consistency in data with consideration to the above to state a person has a mental disease or illness based on chemical imbalance. Beside that, the mental health psychiatric diagnoses isn't even part of standard medical procedure known as the medical model in which all doctors are trained and is the only branch of medicine operating completely on political decisions.

So, on the basis of a 10 minute exchange between doctor & patient, a diagnosis of atypical schizophrenia (others) can be made and what is disturbing is that with the aid of a 2nd physician, the patient can be involuntarily hospitalized without any due process of law.. There is no other branch of medicine that permits this sort of thing.

If an orthopedic surgeon operated on a patient without the aid of an X-ray, he would be working at the car wash the next day.
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#9 Mar 23, 2013
Been there wrote:
As someone who went through a depressive hell as a child, I take issue with the stand against medication. In my family, clinical depression has run wild through several generations. My father committed suicide. I barely got through high school, unable to meet the simplest challenges and thinking it was my fault that I was failing, self-injuring, and reclusive. It wasn't until I got on the right SSRI that my life opened up and the depression lifted. Let me tell you, medication HELPS!!! It took years, but these days I actually LOVE my life. My act is together! So don't go telling people that there is no medical model. If SSRIs had been around when I was a kid, I would have been a powerhouse. I am now! Medicine may not be an exact science, but by God, 40 mg of Prozac wins hands down over a shotgun barrel between the teeth! I'm glad we've come as far as we have in understanding the mind-body connections, and for the sake of other kids who are dying inside, I hope we continue to make progress in treating depression. Nobody deserves to feel that way.
As I stated, I believe the practice of medicine is predicated on something called the "medical model" which doctors learn in medical school and has a set of procedures by which they practice medicine. Psychiatry, Psychologist, psychotherapist" (psycho - the - rapist) and the 101 other titles of importance, if any, in the field of psychiatry / psychology I lump into one broad category: "The mental health worker" for convenience.
To me, Psychiatry is misplaced in academia and belongs in social medicine. Psychology should be part of anthropology and brains are topics of biology.
Psychiatrist mainly guess as to psychotropic drugs used on many of the made to order mental disease which were voted on by the hand raising exercises of the American Psychiatric Association members, yearly, and listed in the DSM. I think you can see, Psychiatry with it inventive ideology stemming from "phrenology" to electro shock therapy is dealing into the dark science much like one that would practice voodoo or witchcraft or play a game, with a person mind, of Tarot cards.
A quote of Psychotherapy for you:
“Psychotherapy may be known in the future as the greatest hoax of the twentieth century.” Dr. Lawrence LeShan, former president of the Association for Humanistic Psychology
As for psychiatrists diagnosing an illness predicated on something like pain & suffering or behavior or conduct is absurd to me and I would discount the diagnoses as much as I would distrust their theories of physical or chemical lobotomies or shock treatment.
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#10 Mar 23, 2013
APA Admits there is no test for "chemical imbalance"

In an explosive admission, American psychiatric Association President Steven Sharfstein did a 180-degree turnaround from his TODAY show interview (June 27) and admitted that there is no way to test for a “chemical imbalance” as the cause for mental disorders. PEOPLE magazine (July 11), quoted Dr. Sharfstein conceding,“We do not have a clean-cut lab test.”

Dr. Sharfstein is not alone. Elliot Valenstein, Ph.D. says,“[T]here are no tests available for assessing the chemical status of a living person’s brain.” The late Dr. Loren Mosher stated,“…there are no external validating criteria for psychiatric diagnoses.”

In 2004, psychiatrist M. Douglas Mar debunked the theory that brain scans can help diagnose mental diseases stating,“There is no scientific basis for these claims [of using brain scans for psychiatric diagnosis].”

Harvard University professor, Joseph Glenmullen, author of “Prozac Backlash,” said the questionnaires of symptoms used to “diagnose” depression “may look scientific,” but “are utterly subjective measures.”

“But unfortunately, the tragedy in this misinformation campaign has been the children who have been pegged with these invented illnesses and given life-destroying drugs,” said Marla Filidei, VP of CCHR International.“We’ve seen hundreds of cases where children’s lives have been destroyed as a result of these labels.”

Ten-year-old Shaina Dunkle collapsed and died from toxic levels of the psychiatric drug she was prescribed.“Shaina looked into my eyes as her life ended and I could do nothing to save her. It’s been two years and I relive those last few minutes every day. Believe me, it is a nightmare no parent should ever have to live with, said Mrs. Vicki Dunkle.

At age 7, Matthew Smith was diagnosed with ADHD. His parents were told he needed to take a stimulant to help him focus and that non-compliance could bring criminal charges for neglecting their son’s educational and emotional needs. The parents acceded to the pressure and put Matthew on a psychiatric drug and on March 21, 2000, while skateboarding, Matthew suffered a heart attack and died from the effects of the drug.

By their own admission, psychiatrists cannot cure. Norman Sartorius, President of the World Psychiatric Association from 1996-1999 concluded that “the time when psychiatrists considered that they could cure the mentally ill is gone"

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp...
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#11 Mar 23, 2013
Death, violence, erratic behavior and the suicide by mind drugs

http://ssristories.com/index.php

-------

Psychiatry: An industry of death

&fe ature=youtube_gdata_player

Psychiatry No Science

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#12 Mar 24, 2013
Been there wrote:
As for young children being affected by unrealistic body "standards", at some point we need to step outside ourselves and realize how the media shape our attitudes, and just bring it to a screeching halt.
Teen girls' and women's magazines are nothing more than advertising vehicles. Even the sparse "articles" buried in page after page of airbrushed ads are just advertising MORE products. We actually pay for our own indoctrination.
It's insidious and plays to our insecurities.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
Parents need to learn how to help their kids understand fitting "into" the idealized version of commercial America's standard of beauty is selling themselves short in the self esteem department since the merchants are always coming out with what they consider as the "new" ideal. Too bad the new ideal is sexualizing kids barely out of diapers with sexy clothes. What's next, thong bikinis for newborns?

http://www.livescience.com/21609-self-sexuali...

A six year old should not have to feel like she needs to dress like a prostitute to "fit in" or become "the" alpha female of the pack.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#13 Mar 24, 2013
HumanSpirit wrote:
APA Admits there is no test for "chemical imbalance"
In an explosive admission, American psychiatric Association President Steven Sharfstein did a 180-degree turnaround from his TODAY show interview (June 27) and admitted that there is no way to test for a “chemical imbalance” as the cause for mental disorders. PEOPLE magazine (July 11), quoted Dr. Sharfstein conceding,“We do not have a clean-cut lab test.”
Dr. Sharfstein is not alone. Elliot Valenstein, Ph.D. says,“[T]here are no tests available for assessing the chemical status of a living person’s brain.” The late Dr. Loren Mosher stated,“…there are no external validating criteria for psychiatric diagnoses.”
In 2004, psychiatrist M. Douglas Mar debunked the theory that brain scans can help diagnose mental diseases stating,“There is no scientific basis for these claims [of using brain scans for psychiatric diagnosis].”
Harvard University professor, Joseph Glenmullen, author of “Prozac Backlash,” said the questionnaires of symptoms used to “diagnose” depression “may look scientific,” but “are utterly subjective measures.”
“But unfortunately, the tragedy in this misinformation campaign has been the children who have been pegged with these invented illnesses and given life-destroying drugs,” said Marla Filidei, VP of CCHR International.“We’ve seen hundreds of cases where children’s lives have been destroyed as a result of these labels.”
Ten-year-old Shaina Dunkle collapsed and died from toxic levels of the psychiatric drug she was prescribed.“Shaina looked into my eyes as her life ended and I could do nothing to save her. It’s been two years and I relive those last few minutes every day. Believe me, it is a nightmare no parent should ever have to live with, said Mrs. Vicki Dunkle.
At age 7, Matthew Smith was diagnosed with ADHD. His parents were told he needed to take a stimulant to help him focus and that non-compliance could bring criminal charges for neglecting their son’s educational and emotional needs. The parents acceded to the pressure and put Matthew on a psychiatric drug and on March 21, 2000, while skateboarding, Matthew suffered a heart attack and died from the effects of the drug.
By their own admission, psychiatrists cannot cure. Norman Sartorius, President of the World Psychiatric Association from 1996-1999 concluded that “the time when psychiatrists considered that they could cure the mentally ill is gone"
http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp...
Too bad there isn't a "sad" judgicon.

Too many doctors are too quick to prescribe drugs to kids who don't really need them. My daughter's pediatrician suggested my daughter needed something for hyperactivity and when I asked him (in surprise) "why" he thought she needed it, he pointed out that she was swinging her feet back and forth (a few inches at most, nothing wild) while on the exam table. I declined his offer by pointing out that I did it too, sometimes, after being kept waiting for a long time. It pissed me off since we have eaten at the same restaurants as him and while MY daughter was sitting calmly at table HIS two daughters were knocking things off of their table, shredding paper napkins and crawling over the back of their booth and bothering the people behind them with loud questions and flailing legs. His brats didn't look very medicated to me. I find it repulsive that doctors push these dangerous drugs like Prozac and Cipro on their patients but hesitate prescribing them to their own family. The big pharma reps offer far too many percs to these doctors to push bad drugs on us. The resemblance of their behavior to that of Washington lobbyists is too close for comfort. It's bribery, clear and simple, which indicates something underhanded to me.
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#14 Mar 24, 2013
Why kids were bouncing off the wall is obvious.

The dirty deal of the Amino Acid Tryptophan

The MKULTRA project was a CIA initiative to control the thought and actions of people and was tested on unsuspecting American and Canadians during the 1950-1970. It is still happening today using psychotropic, anti-depressant, anti-psychotic and Statin drugs and involves children.

Bogus diagnoses by the mental Health Industry to which there is no science, no medical model, no evidence based medicine and no test for chemical balance is the political means of controlling the population by mind drugs, psychotherapy and Electro Shock Therapy and represents the greatest threat to any political structure including a Constitutional country like the USA. It is now happening on a Worldwide basis.

Project MKULTRA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKULTRA

MKULTRA was followed up by the Hippie generation, then the controlling of the school system and eroding of parental authority (1989 -90). The limiting of the essential amino acid Tryptophan in the same time frame as Prozac entered the market place (1989).

This is the basis for the corruption of the Mental health / Pharmaceutical industry in the societies today using Pharmaceutical mind drugs.

-----

The FDA Ban of L-Tryptophan: Politics, Profits and Prozac & other psychotropic drugs by Dean Wolfe Manders, Ph.D.

http://www.whale.to/a/manders.html

----------
Starts With Vaccines

Winnipeg, Canada

#15 Mar 24, 2013
Neurological damage and brain swelling encephalitis a known side effect of numerous vaccines is where much mental illness starts. Aluminum adjuvants like polysorbate 80, thimerosal, formaldehyde and who knows what else are neurotoxic, mutogenic, genetoxic, causing spontaneous denovo genetic mutation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Harbor-UCLA Medical Center cited for safety vio... (Oct '11) 2 hr Human 239
News Gauging the real risks and benefits of a medica... 4 hr Spiralight 1
News Governor signs bill making Oregon first to offe... 12 hr spytheweb 1
News Church accused of offering to 'cure homosexuali... 14 hr Charles P 5
Morgellons - What I believe it really is (Oct '12) 16 hr Whysoserious 295
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) Wed Angela 7,244
News Do You Have a Psychiatrist or a Therapist or BOTH? Wed Humanspirit 1
Nudity at doctor's office (Mar '07) Aug 12 2nd Time is a charm 211
More from around the web