Report: Most women need Paps every 3 ...

Report: Most women need Paps every 3 or 5 years

There are 23 comments on the WJLA-TV Arlington story from Oct 22, 2012, titled Report: Most women need Paps every 3 or 5 years. In it, WJLA-TV Arlington reports that:

Most women can wait three to five years between checks for cervical cancer, depending on their age and test choice, say guidelines issued Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJLA-TV Arlington.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
John

Louisville, KY

#1 Oct 23, 2012
How does this effect women who get yearly birth control? You have your test. You don't plan on getting another one for 5 years. What will doctors require of women for the next 4 years before they perscribe pills when the exam isn't literally related to getting the pill?
MMM

Maroubra, Australia

#2 Oct 23, 2012
They should require nothing as per WHO's guidelines except for a blood test. That's it. Doctors have no right to require anything before they prescribe birth control. It's available OTC in Europe. The greatest risk to a woman's health is pregnancy, so denying birth control unless she comes in for a test is unethical.
MMM

Maroubra, Australia

#3 Oct 23, 2012
That should read blood pressure test.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#4 Nov 22, 2012
MMM wrote:
That should read blood pressure test.
Wonderful resource:

http://forwomenseyesonly.wordpress.com/
Judy

Lincoln, NE

#5 Nov 23, 2012
I think a woman should be required to have both a pelvic and breast exam before going on the pill. Since it has to do with your reproductive area your reproductive area should be examined. You wouldn't expect to get a prescription for hay fever medication without the doctor checking out your sinuses. And as far as women being shy about it that's just too bad. If you take off your clothes for a guy you can take off your clothes for the doctor.
mmm

Maroubra, Australia

#6 Nov 24, 2012
First of all there is no clinical value in breast or pelvic exams which is why they are not performed on asymptomatic in the rest of the world except for Canada and Germany. Do you realise Judy, that women in other countries do not have annual well woman exams and yet women in Australia for example, have a longer life expectancy than women in the US and a far far lower hysterectomy rate? What does that tell you about pelvic exams? That they cause overdiagnosis-ie doctors thinking they've found something when there is nothing wrong with you at all.
Secondly, just because something "has to do with the area" doesn't make it a scientifically valid reason to have an unrelated pelvic and breast exam. In case you haven't realised, best practice medicine is based on evidence not a "while we're talking contraceptives I may as well stick my fingers in your vagina" argument.
And your analogy is ridiculous because you're comparing going to the doctor for medication that is directly related to the condition with going to the doctor for medication that is unrelated. As I stated before in a previous post, it is only blood pressure that is related to the medication.
Thirdly, your callous "And as far as women being shy about it that's just too bad. If you take off your clothes for a guy you can take off your clothes for the doctor" comment beggars belief. Frankly I take exception to that offensive comment as a married mongamous woman. Secondly, your attitude implies that women who have had sex are whores and deserve to be degraded by doctors as punishment and finally, it reminds of a brutal gang rape that occured here many years ago. The woman who was being raped asked why were they doing this to her, to which they replied, noticing that she had a wedding ring said "you're married, you've done it before".You pretty much have the same attitude as those rapists.
I would just like to add that the experts in the field have announced that the pill should be available OTC. Of course you wouldn't agree with expert opinion based on research, you would prefer to stick to your brainwashed thinking that pelvic and breast exams are compulsory, ignoring that ethical concept of informed consent.
Here's some links to enlighten yourself.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57552743/...
http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/double...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#7 Nov 24, 2012
Judy wrote:
I think a woman should be required to have both a pelvic and breast exam before going on the pill. Since it has to do with your reproductive area your reproductive area should be examined. You wouldn't expect to get a prescription for hay fever medication without the doctor checking out your sinuses. And as far as women being shy about it that's just too bad. If you take off your clothes for a guy you can take off your clothes for the doctor.
Typical shallow hateful statement against woman kind.....just because one chooses to engage in a special unique intimate relationship with one man....doesn't/shpuldn't open you up to a string of strange men in white coats, this is an abuse of the system and of the female....and has long-term damaging consequeces - physical and psycological

DONT BELIEVE THE LIE

Seek a female gynecologist and avoid medical rape.

As for unnecessary checking - even Dr's do/would admit that only a blood pressure check is necessary to perscribe the pill.....after all we dont perform brain surgery to examine the brain organ before perscribing anti-depressants or headache pills do we?

Silly woman

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#8 Nov 24, 2012
mmm wrote:
First of all there is no clinical value in breast or pelvic exams which is why they are not performed on asymptomatic in the rest of the world except for Canada and Germany. Do you realise Judy, that women in other countries do not have annual well woman exams and yet women in Australia for example, have a longer life expectancy than women in the US and a far far lower hysterectomy rate? What does that tell you about pelvic exams? That they cause overdiagnosis-ie doctors thinking they've found something when there is nothing wrong with you at all.
Secondly, just because something "has to do with the area" doesn't make it a scientifically valid reason to have an unrelated pelvic and breast exam. In case you haven't realised, best practice medicine is based on evidence not a "while we're talking contraceptives I may as well stick my fingers in your vagina" argument.
And your analogy is ridiculous because you're comparing going to the doctor for medication that is directly related to the condition with going to the doctor for medication that is unrelated. As I stated before in a previous post, it is only blood pressure that is related to the medication.
Thirdly, your callous "And as far as women being shy about it that's just too bad. If you take off your clothes for a guy you can take off your clothes for the doctor" comment beggars belief. Frankly I take exception to that offensive comment as a married mongamous woman. Secondly, your attitude implies that women who have had sex are whores and deserve to be degraded by doctors as punishment and finally, it reminds of a brutal gang rape that occured here many years ago. The woman who was being raped asked why were they doing this to her, to which they replied, noticing that she had a wedding ring said "you're married, you've done it before".You pretty much have the same attitude as those rapists.
I would just like to add that the experts in the field have announced that the pill should be available OTC. Of course you wouldn't agree with expert opinion based on research, you would prefer to stick to your brainwashed thinking that pelvic and breast exams are compulsory, ignoring that ethical concept of informed consent.
Here's some links to enlighten yourself.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57552743/...
http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/double...
Thank you
NEIL

Riverside, RI

#9 Nov 24, 2012
Judy wrote:
I think a woman should be required to have both a pelvic and breast exam before going on the pill. Since it has to do with your reproductive area your reproductive area should be examined. You wouldn't expect to get a prescription for hay fever medication without the doctor checking out your sinuses. And as far as women being shy about it that's just too bad. If you take off your clothes for a guy you can take off your clothes for the doctor.
They do get Checked, blood pressure and weight that all which is needed.
CHRIS

Riverside, RI

#10 Nov 24, 2012
mmm wrote:
First of all there is no clinical value in breast or pelvic exams which is why they are not performed on asymptomatic in the rest of the world except for Canada and Germany. Do you realise Judy, that women in other countries do not have annual well woman exams and yet women in Australia for example, have a longer life expectancy than women in the US and a far far lower hysterectomy rate? What does that tell you about pelvic exams? That they cause overdiagnosis-ie doctors thinking they've found something when there is nothing wrong with you at all.
Secondly, just because something "has to do with the area" doesn't make it a scientifically valid reason to have an unrelated pelvic and breast exam. In case you haven't realised, best practice medicine is based on evidence not a "while we're talking contraceptives I may as well stick my fingers in your vagina" argument.
And your analogy is ridiculous because you're comparing going to the doctor for medication that is directly related to the condition with going to the doctor for medication that is unrelated. As I stated before in a previous post, it is only blood pressure that is related to the medication.
Thirdly, your callous "And as far as women being shy about it that's just too bad. If you take off your clothes for a guy you can take off your clothes for the doctor" comment beggars belief. Frankly I take exception to that offensive comment as a married mongamous woman. Secondly, your attitude implies that women who have had sex are whores and deserve to be degraded by doctors as punishment and finally, it reminds of a brutal gang rape that occured here many years ago. The woman who was being raped asked why were they doing this to her, to which they replied, noticing that she had a wedding ring said "you're married, you've done it before".You pretty much have the same attitude as those rapists.
I would just like to add that the experts in the field have announced that the pill should be available OTC. Of course you wouldn't agree with expert opinion based on research, you would prefer to stick to your brainwashed thinking that pelvic and breast exams are compulsory, ignoring that ethical concept of informed consent.
Here's some links to enlighten yourself.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57552743/...
http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/double...
It's nice to see an educated answer from someone who know what there talking about. Judy, did you learn anything ?
CHRIS

Schenectady, NY

#11 Nov 25, 2012
John wrote:
How does this effect women who get yearly birth control? You have your test. You don't plan on getting another one for 5 years. What will doctors require of women for the next 4 years before they perscribe pills when the exam isn't literally related to getting the pill?
The A.C.O.G. Just came forward with a recommendation that b/c pills should be sold over the counter. We're starting to see the influence of woman doctors on medicine. Finally.
Not With My Lady You Dont

AOL

#12 Nov 25, 2012
mmm wrote:
First of all there is no clinical value in breast or pelvic exams which is why they are not performed on asymptomatic in the rest of the world except for Canada and Germany. Do you realise Judy, that women in other countries do not have annual well woman exams and yet women in Australia for example, have a longer life expectancy than women in the US and a far far lower hysterectomy rate? What does that tell you about pelvic exams? That they cause overdiagnosis-ie doctors thinking they've found something when there is nothing wrong with you at all.
Secondly, just because something "has to do with the area" doesn't make it a scientifically valid reason to have an unrelated pelvic and breast exam. In case you haven't realised, best practice medicine is based on evidence not a "while we're talking contraceptives I may as well stick my fingers in your vagina" argument.
And your analogy is ridiculous because you're comparing going to the doctor for medication that is directly related to the condition with going to the doctor for medication that is unrelated. As I stated before in a previous post, it is only blood pressure that is related to the medication.
Thirdly, your callous "And as far as women being shy about it that's just too bad. If you take off your clothes for a guy you can take off your clothes for the doctor" comment beggars belief. Frankly I take exception to that offensive comment as a married mongamous woman. Secondly, your attitude implies that women who have had sex are whores and deserve to be degraded by doctors as punishment and finally, it reminds of a brutal gang rape that occured here many years ago. The woman who was being raped asked why were they doing this to her, to which they replied, noticing that she had a wedding ring said "you're married, you've done it before".You pretty much have the same attitude as those rapists.
I would just like to add that the experts in the field have announced that the pill should be available OTC. Of course you wouldn't agree with expert opinion based on research, you would prefer to stick to your brainwashed thinking that pelvic and breast exams are compulsory, ignoring that ethical concept of informed consent.
Here's some links to enlighten yourself.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57552743/...
http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/double...
Perfectly stated mmm. Nice job!
Lloyd Robinson

West Palm Beach, FL

#13 Dec 26, 2012
Women should follow their Doctors advice and proceed with all necessary tests.The good thing is that all Individual Health Insurance now covers most of these test needed by women and that is one of the good things about the Affordable Care Act among many others.Florida Women now Have more affordable options for Affordable Health Insurance.
Lloyd Robinson
http://allhorizonfinancialservices.com
All Horizon Financial Services Corp.
Not With My Lady You Dont

AOL

#14 Dec 26, 2012
Lloyd Robinson wrote:
Women should follow their Doctors advice and proceed with all necessary tests.The good thing is that all Individual Health Insurance now covers most of these test needed by women and that is one of the good things about the Affordable Care Act among many others.Florida Women now Have more affordable options for Affordable Health Insurance.
Lloyd Robinson
What a load of donkey dump!
Show me ONE doctor (especially of the male gender) that is going to advise a woman (especially one he finds attractive) that she doesn't need a pelvic!

You're just trying to pedal your insurance without a true interest in what is best for women. I hope a moderator/admin sees your post and deletes it. Go advertise somewhere else.
CHRIS

United States

#15 Dec 27, 2012
Not With My Lady You Dont wrote:
<quoted text>
What a load of donkey dump!
Show me ONE doctor (especially of the male gender) that is going to advise a woman (especially one he finds attractive) that she doesn't need a pelvic!
You're just trying to pedal your insurance without a true interest in what is best for women. I hope a moderator/admin sees your post and deletes it. Go advertise somewhere else.
DITTO !
Soundguy

Marysville, OH

#16 Feb 28, 2013
What a bunch of retards worrying about a doctor looking at your girls lady parts. Let me tell you this. My wife went from a clear Pap smear to stage 3 cervical cancer in one year. Wonder where she would have been in three... Get the test. Grow up.
Neil

Bedford, MA

#17 Feb 28, 2013
Soundguy wrote:
What a bunch of retards worrying about a doctor looking at your girls lady parts. Let me tell you this. My wife went from a clear Pap smear to stage 3 cervical cancer in one year. Wonder where she would have been in three... Get the test. Grow up.
She must have been loaded with H.P.V. Which causes 99% of all cervical cancer. Better off getting checked for H.P.V. No H.P.V., no cervical cancer. Get educated.
Neil

Medford, MA

#18 Feb 28, 2013
Soundguy wrote:
What a bunch of retards worrying about a doctor looking at your girls lady parts. Let me tell you this. My wife went from a clear Pap smear to stage 3 cervical cancer in one year. Wonder where she would have been in three... Get the test. Grow up.
Are you the one who gave her H.P.V.? Or did she pick it up somewhere else ?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#19 Feb 28, 2013
Soundguy wrote:
What a bunch of retards worrying about a doctor looking at your girls lady parts. Let me tell you this. My wife went from a clear Pap smear to stage 3 cervical cancer in one year. Wonder where she would have been in three... Get the test. Grow up.
Have you not understood anything posted here? Female gynecologist are available for female medical care....its nothing to do with being "Grown up" As a woman, I deserve the choice, and the right, to voice my concerns with male gynecologists.
Neil

Bedford, MA

#20 Feb 28, 2013
Bootz65 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you not understood anything posted here? Female gynecologist are available for female medical care....its nothing to do with being "Grown up" As a woman, I deserve the choice, and the right, to voice my concerns with male gynecologists.
Did you get that sound guy ? No one here is going to be manipulated by your "NAME CALLING." Get it, Got it, GOOD.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Asbestos Cleanse Discovery Needed 14 hr bluebell 1
News In Trump's First Year, Anti-Abortion Forces Mak... 15 hr cpeter1313 175
News Anti-vaccine movement focuses attention on Texa... 18 hr MOUSE FARTS 2
I need help. I don't know what's going on. Sun hkinslow0003 1
News Province backing 128-bed long-term care home in... Sun BoBo 1
News Annual Milton Dragon Boat Race to Raise Funds i... (May '13) Sun bring 100 beds back 4
News Senators call for $1B for flu vaccine development Sat VACCINES CAUSE AU... 1
watching wife get pregnant by another man (Jan '17) Feb 17 black toy 4 wf 52
More from around the web