Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt...

Full story: PRWeb 8,133
Patients should review the latest recall information to see if they have been implanted with the recalled device and seek medical attention if symptoms such as unexplained or persistent abdominal pain, fever, ... Full Story
Jerry

Mexico, MO

#8171 Nov 29, 2013
Has anyone had problems with the Parietex Composite mesh? I had the Kugel Mesh removed and the ring had broken but since I developed more hernias one year later I had another surgery to repair the surgery. I just got my medical record which shows Parietex as the mesh that was used this last time.

I have soreness and a skin irritation around the groin irritation and wonder if it is not from the "mesh"? I gave up on Dermatologist I was seeing. Not sure how to determine cause. After reading all the problems I wonder if the external is not related to the internal mesh.

I'll have a new doctor in 2014 but unsure he will be able to get to the root of my problem. What type test should one due to tell if the mesh is the problem?

These golden years have not been very "golden" since mesh came into my life.
Amanda Bard Mesh Survivor

Middletown, NY

#8172 Nov 30, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
<quoted text> Thank you Amanda for your kind words and encouragement. My Prolene was removed in 2008 and I had the hospitals Pathology lab keep my mesh in their freezer. It was clearly marked with red tape with big letters saying Do Not Destroy. I also had my name, address and phone number clearly labeled on the package. I also called every 3 months to confirm it was there and that there was no problem with keeping it. It was destroyed supposedly by an intern that was cleaning the freezers. I guess it was an intern that was color blind AND could not read. As far as videoing my surgery, my idea was for it to be used for educational purposes and possibly to use as part of a documentary of Mesh victims and what Mesh does to the body.Of course I am going to have to get permission for this but I hope to work it out. I have little if no chance of ever getting a case into court mainly because of the Statute of Limitations but also because I have had 2 meshs. I am so looking forward to getting this mesh out. I am getting infections fairly often and now my Thyroid is causing me problems. Like so many of us, I am fairly positive that having mesh for a long period of time starts a whole cavalcade of infections and immune system breakdown. I try not to talk to my Dr. in those terms but even they are starting to wonder why I am having these symptoms and why they are coming about one right after another. Again, Thank You for your words of encouragement and I hope that your Holidays are Happy and Healthy! Best Wishes........
Wow, unbelievable,, I think with complete certainy that there was a conspiracy to destroy evidence, it is so sad that we "as victims" can never ever place trust in the healthcare system again, and the lawyers that cover up the fact, that the doctors don't want to bite the hand that feeds them. Meaning, the doctor will take the $50,000 plus to take the product out of you but won't bite the manufacturers hand that feeds them, the certain few law firms that take on these cases get elected onto the committees that manage the mass tort cases. The lawyer repeatedly shot me down every time I asked them to get the stored mesh out of the lab, then the big whammy 2 years in to the lawsuit of that oh it was never kept. The corruption is so sickening. And if any of you have the slightest idea that its not then may I suggest reading John Grisham's book The King of Torts, once u read that it will all become crystal clear how realistic the mass tort cases are and how this author has to have bad a very near perfect observations. I pray all goes well with the removal, and with PTSD getting back on the OR table will be murder for u.
Amanda Bard Mesh Survivor

Middletown, NY

#8173 Nov 30, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
<quoted text> Thank you Amanda for your kind words and encouragement. My Prolene was removed in 2008 and I had the hospitals Pathology lab keep my mesh in their freezer. It was clearly marked with red tape with big letters saying Do Not Destroy. I also had my name, address and phone number clearly labeled on the package. I also called every 3 months to confirm it was there and that there was no problem with keeping it. It was destroyed supposedly by an intern that was cleaning the freezers. I guess it was an intern that was color blind AND could not read. As far as videoing my surgery, my idea was for it to be used for educational purposes and possibly to use as part of a documentary of Mesh victims and what Mesh does to the body.Of course I am going to have to get permission for this but I hope to work it out. I have little if no chance of ever getting a case into court mainly because of the Statute of Limitations but also because I have had 2 meshs. I am so looking forward to getting this mesh out. I am getting infections fairly often and now my Thyroid is causing me problems. Like so many of us, I am fairly positive that having mesh for a long period of time starts a whole cavalcade of infections and immune system breakdown. I try not to talk to my Dr. in those terms but even they are starting to wonder why I am having these symptoms and why they are coming about one right after another. Again, Thank You for your words of encouragement and I hope that your Holidays are Happy and Healthy! Best Wishes........
All Meshed Up: I just commented to my husband about how not coincidental the fact that both of our kugel patches being sat in the lab are thrown away, I mean what are the chances of that, out of 7700 posts on this forum our posts cross and we both have evidence thefts in our cases!!! Unbelievable, SMH... Seriously, not a coincidence. Note to future explant patients, ask to take your kugel patch home with you and buy a bullet proof safe.
brittany

Tampa, FL

#8174 Nov 30, 2013
Who do I call about the mesh?
Ambulance Chaser Scam

Saint Paul, MN

#8175 Dec 1, 2013
I smell scam! Not from bad hernia mesh but from bad shady slippery ambulance-chasing sleazeball fly-by-night law school dropouts planting phony stories on the internet in hopes of getting a class action lawsuit going.
Sheila

Walla Walla, WA

#8176 Dec 2, 2013
You know what there are slot of people that have had a lot of medical problems due to hernia mesh. I in fact am one of them I had a marlex mesh put in on march of 2008 and due to that mesh I had a entro abdominal abcess and almost died after surgery to remove the infection with the mesh having 6 tubes put in place for drainage and 32 staples with stiches down my belly and I still have problems every day I still have a area that drains and has been from 2009 till now becouse there is still a small part of the mesh they didn't remove. So unless you know for a fact that what people are saying is not true you truly need to keep you mouth shut.
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#8177 Dec 2, 2013
Ambulance Chaser Scam wrote:
I smell scam! Not from bad hernia mesh but from bad shady slippery ambulance-chasing sleazeball fly-by-night law school dropouts planting phony stories on the internet in hopes of getting a class action lawsuit going.
What "phony" stories are you talking about? I smell something but I'm not sure where it's coming from. Though I do have an idea....
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#8178 Dec 2, 2013
brittany wrote:
Who do I call about the mesh?
What mesh are you talking about, Brittany?
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#8179 Dec 2, 2013
Amanda Bard Mesh Survivor wrote:
<quoted text>
All Meshed Up: I just commented to my husband about how not coincidental the fact that both of our kugel patches being sat in the lab are thrown away, I mean what are the chances of that, out of 7700 posts on this forum our posts cross and we both have evidence thefts in our cases!!! Unbelievable, SMH... Seriously, not a coincidence. Note to future explant patients, ask to take your kugel patch home with you and buy a bullet proof safe.
I have no idea if there was a "conspiracy" concerning the sudden destruction of mesh's stored at local hospitals/pathology labs but I do know of at least 6 that were all destroyed on or about the same week. I do believe however that there is a conspiracy concerning the Manufacturers and the FDA when it comes to being truthful about the dangers of mesh.I also believe that the "Big" law firms are working with the Manufacturers and the Courts when it comes to the MDL's and the determination of "payouts" to mesh victims. The only people that are "making out" on any settlements seems to be these "Big" law firms ( i.e. Migliori, Motley-Rice etc.)In the mean time the victims of these Medical Mesh's are left with life long pain and suffering, massive surgical scars and massive medical bills. In the past 5 months I have contacted Attorney Generals in 14 states to talk to them about the investigation by the states concerning J&J's Hip Replacement and Ethicons Mesh. The investigations are centered on the Hip Replacement failures and Ethicon's product advertising fraud.None of these state Attorney Generals' offices would talk to me at all about or if they were in the process of suing J&J for the states medical expenditures.Though they were kind enough to give m,e the FDA's MAUDE data base website! Gosh, I didn't know about that! Many of us that have been watching this thought that MAYBE we as victims may now have a chance at a full out public investigation. We hoped that there would be public disclosure of what we all know about mesh. We had hoped that finally we as victims may have a better chance of going after J&J ( and hopefully the rest of the manufacturers) for what their mesh has done to us. But that hope has now disintegrated to the knowledge that the states are after J&J for their money expenditures and we victims are again left out. Everybody is at the trough to get what they can but we as victims are forgotten statistics. Best Wishes.........P.S. I was run over by the Ambulance. I wasn't chasing it.....
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#8180 Dec 2, 2013
Jerry wrote:
Has anyone had problems with the Parietex Composite mesh? I had the Kugel Mesh removed and the ring had broken but since I developed more hernias one year later I had another surgery to repair the surgery. I just got my medical record which shows Parietex as the mesh that was used this last time.
I have soreness and a skin irritation around the groin irritation and wonder if it is not from the "mesh"? I gave up on Dermatologist I was seeing. Not sure how to determine cause. After reading all the problems I wonder if the external is not related to the internal mesh.
I'll have a new doctor in 2014 but unsure he will be able to get to the root of my problem. What type test should one due to tell if the mesh is the problem?
These golden years have not been very "golden" since mesh came into my life.
There have been many complaints about Parietex.Parietex complaints are included in at least one MDL for it's Gyno use. Unfortunately there are no "tests" to determine if what you are experiencing is from the mesh. The only way to do that is by the process of elimination of any other possible cause. As in my case it took over 3 years to convince the Dr.'s that there was no other reason for the infections and pain I was experiencing. Many Doctors will not want to make that diagnosis because they believe they will be caught up in litigation.( if t5hey only knew!) Best Wishes......
Jerry

Mexico, MO

#8181 Dec 2, 2013
Thank you All Meshed Up for your input. I understand what you are saying. I have already seen that from the doctor's I have seen. There is no easy solution I realize, but I do appreciate your advise.
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#8182 Dec 3, 2013
Jerry wrote:
Thank you All Meshed Up for your input. I understand what you are saying. I have already seen that from the doctor's I have seen. There is no easy solution I realize, but I do appreciate your advise.
You are very welcome. In my experience as a "mild" case of Meshoma, it is the fact that I do not LOOK as if I am in pain. Nor do I look sick, at least until I am sick with pain, infection etc.My girl friend and best friend know and have seen me when it's bad. If you have bulging in the surgical area, especially if that includes discoloration,that is a "visual" that the Dr. can understand. CT scans,MRI's, X-rays can sometimes help but many times add more confusion than anything else. Because Mesh is made of "plastic" and is used to not only strengthen the abdominal area it also inherently causes the body to cover that mesh as it would a splinter. Any scar tissue that is pressing on or pinching nerves (much less organs)is seen as the normal tissue build up by the body and from your surgery. If you do a search on MRI/CT images and detecting Mesh or similarly made material, all that you can see( as in my case with a Kugel Ring) is a dark line. In a Sonogram, you could tell there was a tissue build up where the Mesh was "supposed to be" but nothing definitive.(though they did find another hernia behind the Kugel) So how DO you tell if the Mesh is causing you problems if your health is otherwise good?If your health is compromised, have had several surgeries, obese,etc, those facts will cause the Dr to quickly point in that direction instead of the mesh. But it seems to me it would be obvious that exploratory surgery, if warranted, would be needed. How many Dr.'s are going to want to dig into that mess if they were not part of the original surgery and not doing Mesh removals already? It is a Catch 22 situation. You have to find a Dr. that is qualified and experienced with all that comes with a possible mesh removal. Then can you afford it? Hopefully your Insurance would cover it. If not, Dr. Peterson, because of demand, is now charging $9000 per removal. Tests, Transport and Hotel not included.Or there is the Shouldice method done by few in this country, a good alternative( if your case/hernia etc qualifies) but difficult to get an appointment. And hopefully it's close to you. As I have posted previously, it has taken me 3 1/2 years (maybe more!) to get a surgeon to listen, check my records and then AGREE with what I have been saying for years. Hopefully I go forward with no mesh in my gut next spring. But that aside, keep talking to your Dr., bring info of some of the posted links on here and Jane Akre's site MedicalMeshDeviceNewsletter.com .. If he or you have not seen or perused your Medical files, do so and get copies. Show him your history and what you believe is related to your mesh. Hope this helps. Let us know how you are doing and Best of Luck. Take Care.....
friend of BR

Honolulu, HI

#8183 Dec 3, 2013
AMU:

Do you know of any surgeons proficient in the Shouldice method who are also proficient in removing mesh?
Jerry

Mexico, MO

#8184 Dec 3, 2013
Thanks for your advice AMU. I'll keep you posted in the future. Best of luck to you as well.
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#8185 Dec 4, 2013
friend of BR wrote:
AMU:
Do you know of any surgeons proficient in the Shouldice method who are also proficient in removing mesh?
There lies the rub. I will have to let you know about that. BR would probably know better than I.
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#8186 Dec 4, 2013
Here is a paste from the Shouldice Hospital website concerning Hernias, Mesh and Shouldice repair.*******Mesh repair – There are many different types of mesh repairs. The common characteristic is the dependence on mesh, an artificial foreign material, to address the hernia. Instead of an actual anatomical repair, a mesh implant is placed over or in the hernia defect to “patch” or “plug” the opening in the muscle and connective tissue. The repair depends on scar tissue to grow into the mesh, forming a large layer of scar tissue. As the scar tissue shrinks, so does the mesh, creating a fibrous mass, which is often associated with chronic or long-term complications in mesh surgery.

Not every hernia can be repaired with a natural tissue technique. Shouldice surgeons have the expertise to perform a mesh repair but use it only in special cases, such as when the natural tissue has been destroyed by earlier surgical repairs at other hospitals. In these cases, the mesh is introduced as part of a Shouldice hybrid technique. Over 95% of our repairs are pure natural tissue, with no mesh implants required.

Any hernia repair may cause complications for the patient. However, mesh repairs are associated with additional complications if an infection develops around the implant and the mesh has to be removed. Mesh can also be troublesome in later years for men if urological or prostate surgery is required. Mesh repairs have not demonstrated better results for the patient than a natural tissue repair performed at Shouldice Hospital, and the recovery time for both techniques is very similar**********This was just a portion of their info advertising their services. Obviously Shouldice is a more natural way for Hernia repairs but does have limits when it comes to the extent of area damage. It's unfortunate that in some circumstances a Mesh product has to be used. There are some very explicit photo's that show wounds that Shouldice sure as heck can't fix nor will a porcine sheet. Be that as it may, Shouldice repair may soon become the best and most economical way to repair most Hernias'. Now if we could only find a way for Mesh repairs to become easier,more economical and with no plastic left behind. Best Wishes.....
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#8187 Dec 10, 2013
If anybody is suffering from Low Blood Pressure, I would recommend doing a Google search on Ethicon destroying literally thousands of documents related to their Mesh products. Last week it came to the light that Ethicons employees, against a long standing court order, destroyed memos, e-mails, personal and business correspondence and research documents.Makes for interesting reading but try not to shout, scream or punch the computer screen! Best Wishes........
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#8188 Dec 10, 2013
I misquoted the article. J&J executives had told Ethicon employees to keep all documents.The employees apparently "did not understand" or "did not know" about the policy. The article also mentions that the hard drive on the computer of the former President of Ethicon was destroyed with all documents, e-mails etc..No conspiracy there! Just a simple mistake Judge! Possibly hundreds of thousands of documents were destroyed. Teflon. Totally Teflon. WTF?
riverrat

Winona, MN

#8189 Dec 15, 2013
when dose this mesh crime end and what group with the backing will do it
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#8190 Dec 16, 2013
riverrat wrote:
when dose this mesh crime end and what group with the backing will do it
I wish I knew. After 6+ years of trying to figure it all out, none of this makes sense. I think those of us with Mesh (Gyno/Hernia) would never imagine that a medical product would not only do what it does to the victim but how wide spread the damage is around the world. Not only that but 90% of the victims are ignored even though they have the same material in them as those that were able to sue the Manufacturer. And it continues unabated Thanks to our beloved FDA and their Pay Masters, the Manufacturers. It would be a bit funny if it all wasn't so damn real to us. Can't wait for the movie to see how this all ends! Merry Christmas everyone! Best Wishes..........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who will care for children with autism when the... (Aug '13) 2 min ScrewChristianVal... 95
Natural Tinnitus Treatments That Involve Homeop... (Sep '09) 13 min Chrisa 2
White House: Science indicates parents should v... 28 min Cordwainer Trout 9
Smoking ban revisited in West Virginia 7 hr PASS 1
New Mexico bill would limit smoking with kids a... 8 hr Heck Boy 2
No, The Measles Vaccine Doesn't Cause Autism 8 hr BAD SCIENCE 4
Parents claiming 'religious' exemption can skip... 10 hr BAD SCIENCE 1
B-12 and Lipotropic Injections for Weight Loss (Jun '06) 13 hr mary 4,705
Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) Fri hmm 6,112
More from around the web