Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt...

Full story: PRWeb 8,113
Patients should review the latest recall information to see if they have been implanted with the recalled device and seek medical attention if symptoms such as unexplained or persistent abdominal pain, fever, ... Full Story
Mary

Largo, FL

#7766 May 11, 2013
I had a Trelex propylene mesh implanted in my abdomen in December 2012 due to a TRAM flap procedure. I have had 3 more surgeries since then to debride the abdomen, remove part of the mesh and remove infection. I am constantly nauseous and have serious pain in the abdomen that is now radiating to my hip, back and leg on the right side. Could this possible be a recalled mesh issue? I am really worried. The surgeon says that he thinks the mesh is causing continued infection, but I still have mesh in the upper abdomen area. What do I do now?? Any suggestions? Thanks for listening.
Mitch

Grand Junction, CO

#7767 May 11, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
<quoted text> The only way pictures are taken is if you make aggangments for such. Same goes for the mesh being removed. If you want to send some to the FDA and the Manufacturer, you will have to do it yourself. I have also found that "descriptions" of mesh removed to the point of being able to use it for legal means RARELY happens. The Dr.'s do not want to be part of any legal entanglments.Next, I do not understand why they cannot tell you what "New" mesh is that they are putting in. I would not let them do a thing to me till they can tell me the what and why of it. I would also say, Lin, that any Dr. that tells you of an outcome on ANY surgery, much less a mesh removal, before he gets in there is really " Pushing the Envelope". How the heck does he "know" what is going on inside you? Are there any adhesions etc? I hope that this surgery helps you rather than injures you, Lin. Best of Luck and Best Wishes.....
I think AMU is telling you and if you read more, unless your surgeon know what the hell he is doing dont let him touch that mesh! Risk -V- Gain very few folks get relief and if their Doc does anything but remove old bad mesh dont let them do it! Taking this crap out can be devastating and increase your pain, as hard as that sounds be careful Doctors especially Surgeons think they are God.
laurie

Houston, TX

#7768 May 11, 2013
i had tration done twice andi'am in a lot of painthe doctor told me the messsepereate nd movd to my back hip and he said nothing wl hapen well that is not the casei'am in a lot of pain and my le goes numb and the back hip itwon't stop with the pain sometimes icant even walk what should i do my wa a hernia repair in my belly button with mess
laurie

Houston, TX

#7769 May 11, 2013
i hope to here from someone so i know what we need to do
Terlin

Wayne, MI

#7770 May 12, 2013
Does anybody have severe pain that you can't sit? And walking pain from groin to the foot. When sitting makes it hard to breath?
Tash

Spring Branch, TX

#7771 May 13, 2013
I a looking for a good surgeon in San Antonio,tx I had an umbilical hernia repair in 08' it was preformed just months after my hysterectomy. I developed chronic Epstein Barr and just a year ago pain in one specific point right where the edge of my mesh would be. They did an MRI and said the mesh was fine, Of course doctors say reflux, then delayed gastric emptying with IBS . Pretty much can't eat anything anymore . And yet pain is still there and now developing in the other side of my belly botton . I know it's this stupid mesh . I'm hoping someone has had good luck with a surgeon in Texas? Any help would be appreciated!
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7772 May 13, 2013
ron wrote:
I had an inguinal hernia done in 2013 on my left side.It was fine after one week and the swelling and pain was gone.I went to work and one morning while coming out of my car I felt a sharp peircing pain not on the spot where the incision is but lower between my groin and my upper thigh. It is very painful to get into the car and come out.I know that the hernia is healed,because there are no pain or swelling in the area.I am wondering if I pull a muscle or pinch a nerve,my left thigh is very sore and coming from the lower groin.
Hello Ron. You will not heal from a Hernia surgery, especially open surgery with mesh for about 3-6 months. You have a foreign piece of plastic in you and the body is trying to cover it up with tissue. Also, when you have surgery you are completely relaxed and laid out on a table. NOW you are up and moving, twisting, picking up stuff etc. I would not worry about your surgical area UNLESS you start seeing redness, swelling, ANY fluid discharge or major change to the scar itself. Itching is a normal process also but if it is excessive and will not stop you may be having an allergic reaction. Along with allergic reactions will be other symptoms like "abnormal" swelling, loss of "Pep" or "get up and go", you might feel sick, you might have a low grade fever, chills or excessive sweating. Let your Dr. know about what you are experiencing and see what he says. Alot of Dr.'s either donot know or will not admit to Mesh problems because they do not want any legal entanglments so be prepared for the Meshoma 2 Step from your Dr.. The Meshoma 2 Step is very recognizable. You mention you think you are having a problem with your mesh and the Dr. will immediatley take 2 steps away from you. Let us know how you are doing. Best Wishes.....
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7773 May 13, 2013
Mary wrote:
I had a Trelex propylene mesh implanted in my abdomen in December 2012 due to a TRAM flap procedure. I have had 3 more surgeries since then to debride the abdomen, remove part of the mesh and remove infection. I am constantly nauseous and have serious pain in the abdomen that is now radiating to my hip, back and leg on the right side. Could this possible be a recalled mesh issue? I am really worried. The surgeon says that he thinks the mesh is causing continued infection, but I still have mesh in the upper abdomen area. What do I do now?? Any suggestions? Thanks for listening.
Hi Mary. Right off the bat I want to tell you and anybody else reading this post, THERE IS NO MESH RECALL. The only recall is the Kugel Patch and that is for the RING that keeps the mesh tight. There are WARNINGS but NO recalls. If you have been treated for infections already then I think you have most of your answer now. It sounds like your body is rejecting the mesh in a BIG way. Also, does your Dr. believe that the mesh is STILL IN THE SAME PLACE that it was installed. Mesh is notorius for "Migrating" and finding organs and tissue to cut into. Next, mesh, when installed is "tacked in". When this is done there is a VERY good possibility of the mesh OR the tack to adhere to or compress the nerve thereby causing "radiating" pain. I had right inguinal Hernia surgery and along with everything else it has caused nerve damage that affects my right leg in weird ways. I will feel hot flashs down my leg or pain, tingling and/or numbness. I would have a very frank and upfront talk with your Dr. about the mesh that is still in you. The bad part about a Mesh Removal is all of the scarring and tissue that builds up around a mesh patch that has to be removed also. There are nerves and muscle that will be cut. It makes for a LONG recovery. There is more possibility of infection spreading because you already have infections and the DR. will be cutting right where they are. That could bring infections to areas not yet affected. I wish I could be more positive but we deal with what we know about mesh and 9 out of 10 its not good. Try to find a Lawyer that handles Personal Injury cases or Medical Device fraud. DO NOT TELL YOUR DR. ANYTHING ABOUT LEGAL MATTERS!!!! He will clam up so quick you'll have to count your fingers and toes afterwards. Make sure you get your OP reports from all your surgeries concerning Mesh from the Hospital. If you HAVE to have another surgery, make arrangments to have a Videographer in the surgery room with you to document everything. Please make a report to the FDA MAUDE data base also. Put as much info in there as possible. If you do get the rest of the mesh out make arrangments to send a sample to the FDA and the manufacturer. Keep us appraised of your situation, OK? Best Wishes....
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7774 May 13, 2013
I am going to address EVERYBODY that comes on here and wants a Lawyer. The Law Firms that are advertising for clients are focused on the Vaginal/ Gyno Meshs. If you have a Hernia Mesh you will have a VERY difficult time finding a Lawyer to represent you. They are handling only specific mesh types or manufacturers. Ethicon is NOT one of them. Kugel Patchs are not being pursued ANYMORE. That is OVER. Motley Rice got THEIR Millions and are now Trolling for Gyno victims to exploit. This is what I want everybody to understand about Mesh and the POSSIBILITY of a Law Suit. 1. It is incredibly expensive to get a case of this nature into the court room. 2. The Lawyers are "Picking and Choosing" the clients in such a way that 1 out of 10 or 20 MAY get representation. 3. Unless you are DEAD you are not going to get anywhere near the settlment that YOU think YOU deserve. 4. Even if you get a settlement with lots of zeros, the Manufacturer will appeal and you won't see a dime for YEARS. 5. Until the FDA "fesses" up about what Mesh is all about we as a group are just screwed. Until ALL of us get active and talk to our Senators, Congressman, Governors and Attorney Generals and make full and concise MAUDE reports we are going no where. Please understand that we are the Guinea Pigs. We were experimented on with products that should NEVER have been approved for what they are being used for now. That is the way it is and NO amount of bodily damage, crying or screaming will make a bit of difference. Yes, you were harmed. Yes, you are in pain and PERMANENTLY scarred. Yes, its not right and something has to be done. I am sorry but you may never get a Lawyer, a Settlement or your life back. That is just the way it is. The Manufacturers have too much influence with our Government and money enough to pay them all off. We as a group do not matter to the Manufacturers or the FDA. Until all of us make a MAUDE data base report and make all the calls I suggest over and over again, we will never be recognized as the VICTIMS that we are. Until the day comes when the "Big Break" happens we are S.O.L.. That is just the way it is. So continue trying to get a Lawyer but understand that the Lawyer is there to make money. If you happen to get some too, well, Bonus! But the Lawyer is there for his pocket book not yours. He is looking for the most expediant way to make that money and if you do not "fit the scenario" then you are not one of the "Chosen". That is just the way it is........It is now up to you.
Lin

Opelika, AL

#7775 May 13, 2013
05/13/13. Hi AMU, Is Bruce B. out here in Mesh Never Never Land of the Hernia Mesh lost? I just got a a 4 page letter from Ethicon dated o5/09/13. wanting information on my pass Ventral Hernias and all products involed in the surgeries. I guess someone filed a letter to them in my behalf. I don't know who, but the first line states that someone contact them last June 2012. all information is now been filed into theit complaint handling databases. They have sent authorization disclosure medicalforms and request permission to contact my pass surgeons, family physicians. wanting all surgery reports. It makes me now wonder if maybe if SSDisability is looking to to why a 3rd surgery? After the pass ones of 2003, being that one was an emergency medical need county aid etc.... in which a life change of not knowing of hernias, to now almost can write my own book on hernias. My lessons of what they are. So then in 2003 another onein which my husbands work insurance covered, Blue Cross, Now this 3rd one for 05/21/13. Their is a statment of a possible relation,of Ethibond sutures causing adhesions/ scar tissue. I don't know quit what to do!!! Sure I willing give information to them, IF IT WOULD BE A HELP TO KEEP OTHER PEOPLE FROM GETTING HURT BY THESE PRODUCTS!!!!! But the other side of the coin is that this company uses my information to hide and lie to conseal the truth of the damage the PRODUCT Causes. "Dam if you do, Dam if you Don't. Any advice would be greatful.
Mwagner

Hewitt, NJ

#7776 May 13, 2013
I had a hernia repaired with mesh in Jan 2012, I got an infection and just had my 3 rd surgery where they found more mesh stuck to the abdominal wall and some stitches floating around. They took most of my bellybutton out.I now have an open would in my belly button the size of a golf ball that I have to pack with gauze. I did the antibiotics that I had a horrible allergic reaction to, the pic line to my heart for 2 months with no success. I pray this will be the last surgery and they got out all the debri. It has been almost 1 1/2 years. I talked to 2 lawyers and they said the mesh hasn't been recalled. I'm thankful to have 2 awesome doctors that have tried to fix this mess that another surgeon did. My disability ran out in January and I had to give up my job because I don't have the energy to do it. So sorry to hear how many people are going through this also. I pray this will come to an end for all of this, we need our quality of life back.
George

Paramount, CA

#7778 May 13, 2013
If you guys have Facebook we have formed 2 groups with people with complication from the mesh, we have people on their that have taken out mesh with good results. Go on Facebook and look for this group ....

fighters and survivors of all hernia mesh and plugs

Email me if you can't find it raidernation07es@yahoo.com
Chris

Paramount, CA

#7779 May 13, 2013
What do you guys think about dr petersen in Las Vegas ? Is he skilled enough at removing the mesh?
ramshawed2000 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, he implanted mine in 2000, when he was "on the cutting edge". It's Krazy how this stuff is Still on the market. I say we go to Washington and express our concerns. Someone is bound to listen. My GI doc told me one of the Commissioners here in GA has also suffered from this. I'm positive he had No problems getting an Attorney to fight for him. I on the other am like many of U. Doctors at Grady hospital here in Atlanta removed mine. 12 hours an two teams of 10 doc's, and finally that crap is out!! All I can say is Hallelujah!!!! Bowel & bladder resection, left me with nerve damage. To SSI I GO!!!! Good luck to U. Grady is a training hospital, and I would suggest if U want it removed U stay away from private surgeons, they have Not a clue the extent of this procedure..
Anonymous

Kenmore, WA

#7780 May 14, 2013
I have read a lot of complaints online because of the vaginal mesh products that caused them a lot of pain. I have heard some of them even filed lawsuits against the manufacturers of these products.
The bodies of these patients have simply rejected surgical mesh implants. As a result, many recipients of surgical mesh and bladder slings are experiencing harmful side effects.
You may also read this one for a more comprehensive information: http://www.rotlaw.com/transvaginal-placement-... .
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7781 May 14, 2013
sandreas148 wrote:
I have read a lot of complaints online because of the vaginal mesh products that caused them a lot of pain. I have heard some of them even filed lawsuits against the manufacturers of these products.
The bodies of these patients have simply rejected surgical mesh implants. As a result, many recipients of surgical mesh and bladder slings are experiencing harmful side effects.
You may also read this one for a more comprehensive information: http://www.rotlaw.com/transvaginal-placement-... .
RotLaw or AKA Rottenstein Lawfirm is the "Lady" that "won" the case for the Nurse with GynoMesh last month. "Won" the case on the fact that the DR did not tell the patient about mesh. The Actual, Factual evidence about Mesh was thrown out of Court. Way to GO ROTTENSTEIN. Welcome to the Appeal Process Mesh Victim. Please contact said website with your particular views on "Trolling for Victims" ( Insert Game Show Voice Over Here) by yet another Law Firm Today! Major Law Firm. Cheep ASS Lawyer. Advertiseing on a Blog for Mesh Victims for Free. Yep, now thats class. Or was that crass? Best Wishes......
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7782 May 14, 2013
Chris wrote:
What do you guys think about dr petersen in Las Vegas ? Is he skilled enough at removing the mesh?
<quoted text>
Dr Peterson has a lot of experience with Mesh Removal. His website will tell you so. The problem with taking mesh out is what is left behind. Adhesion damage, Mesh not removed and now migrating, Nerve cut or damage, where did the "Tacks" go, what is going to be used to repair the "Hole" that you now have, will the removal of the Mesh give you a better "Life", what will be the side effects of removing the Mesh and all that has been mentioned do to me in the next 10 years? These are the questions you will need to ask yourself. It is one thing to have the "Crap" removed and it is a completely other thing to deal with the aftermath. The best surgeons for this sort of surgery are cognisant of what comes WITH the removal and not just removing the mesh. Go back a couple of pages and check out the links I posted about 2 of the Best Dr.'s in the country for mesh removal and the subsequet problems before and after mesh. As I found out 6 years ago and since, the removal of that little monster has long lasting problems. Let us know how you are and know that All of us on here have and are going through what you are dealing with now. You are not alone, nor crazy. Well, that may be a bit judgemental but there you go! Best Wishes and get back to us when you can........
PLC1999

United States

#7783 May 14, 2013
Hello all,I have previously commented on this forum. Well since my last post, I have now been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, with a positive ANA,SM-antibody,and RNP-antibody. Just another process of my FBR(foreign body rejection). It's only time before the mesh toxins progress into much more. PLEASE,PLEASE read the following link so that maybe you can present this to your primary care physicians, so that maybe they can be educated on our Mesh sentence. Also, for those of you that experience bowel problems like I do, try liquid Magnesium gel tabs, I use the Carlson brand from Vitamin Cottage. THIS HAS CHANGED MY LIFE!!!
The Links Between Surgical Mesh Complications and the Development of Autoimmune Diseases.
http://tvtno.org/the-facts/surgical-mesh-and-...

Since: Jan 13

Burlington, WI

#7784 May 15, 2013
PLC1999 wrote:
Hello all,I have previously commented on this forum. Well since my last post, I have now been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, with a positive ANA,SM-antibody,and RNP-antibody. Just another process of my FBR(foreign body rejection). It's only time before the mesh toxins progress into much more. PLEASE,PLEASE read the following link so that maybe you can present this to your primary care physicians, so that maybe they can be educated on our Mesh sentence. Also, for those of you that experience bowel problems like I do, try liquid Magnesium gel tabs, I use the Carlson brand from Vitamin Cottage. THIS HAS CHANGED MY LIFE!!!
The Links Between Surgical Mesh Complications and the Development of Autoimmune Diseases.
Very interesting PLC1999, I was diagnosed with MS Sept, 2012, although I believe I have had it for a while. A month after my MS diagnosis, I felt severe pressure/then pain in mesh implanted area(still do), weather or not the mesh had anything to do with this----? I do not know, Thank You for posting the great info, I appreciate it
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7785 May 15, 2013
PLC1999 wrote:
Great link and information for everybody. Thanks much for the input. I would only hope that the FDA would "Read and Heed".
C Smith

Hayward, CA

#7786 May 15, 2013
Kristina wrote:
I had a hernia operation in 2011 and horrific pain after. I was told that I had a trapped nerve and they removed 3 nerves and replaced the mesh. My pain after the second surgery was extremely worse. I had a mesh that was from a company that some recalls. I can not get a dr to help me because they say I need the mesh and I need to just take narcotics and injections. I am 34 years old and I have 2 small children. I am in pain all day and take pain killers at night. Does anyone know how I can get help?
I felt extremely sad for you after reading about your situation above, and am wondering if you would be willing to consider the option of having a qualified surgeon try and remove the implant? Doing so will remove the pain, and greatly improve your situation. A surgeon who has been recommended on other websites is Dr. Clark Gerhart; his contact information can be found at http://www.clarkgerhart.com/contact.html This situation will not improve or go away on its own, and trying to find a surgeon who can remove as much of the mesh as possible really may be your only solution.
If medical bills are a problem, you also may wish to find a lawyer who will take on what seems to be a very obvious and severe case of a mesh implant injury case. You may wish to try www.MeshInjuryCenter.com to get a number of referrals for one. The site at first will ask you if you have had a mesh implant for urinary incontinence, but when you click to the second page to fill out your contact information, they then explain that they take all mesh implant cases that have resulted in injury and pain.
It sounds as if your nerves are still being trapped, irritated, or affected by your implant still; maybe a temporary solution could be a nerve block pain reliever?
I hope that you are able to get one of the above types of help soon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Low-income people in Arkansas and other Souther... 41 min jacc123 1
Esophagus Spasm - How my mom STOPS her Esophage... (May '12) 1 hr yorkshell 137
Abortion (Jan '12) 1 hr Ms_Julie 32
Elizabeth Taylor & Michael Jackson at Her Final... 2 hr goodvibrations 4
Nonbacterial prostatitis is likely to be caused... 4 hr Anny Tabby 1
Swelling testicles is the most common symptom o... 4 hr Anny Tabby 1
Higher cost cigarettes, smoking bans advised in... 4 hr Marty 8

Health People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE