Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns ...

Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt...

There are 8238 comments on the PRWeb story from Feb 4, 2007, titled Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt.... In it, PRWeb reports that:

Patients should review the latest recall information to see if they have been implanted with the recalled device and seek medical attention if symptoms such as unexplained or persistent abdominal pain, fever, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at PRWeb.

Michael

Muskegon, MI

#4123 Apr 10, 2011
Kelly wrote:
Has anyone had a problem with the Bard Mesh Perfix Plug,#0012970; lot #43EOD128?
I have had problems with that same plug, My lot number is 43JPD386 though
Becky M

Arvada, CO

#4124 Apr 12, 2011
Hi, I am looking for some advice. I had a ventral hernia repair with DualMesh in 2009 because of a laproscopic surgery hole that did not heal or wasnt sewn up and became a hernia 8 weeks after surgery. A year after surgery I was exercizing and pulled something do abdomen situps. Since then if I do anything that is physical on my stomach like riding in a truck on bad roads and get jarred around. I start having spasms under where my mesh is that penatrates into my back. I also have nausea, lathargic feeling, and pain. Pain killers calms it some, but every 3 hrs have to repeat them until the spasams stop. I also have a small knot on the top of my insision on the inside of my stomach that causes pain. I got better for about 6 months and then for the last month have not been able to get better. Does anybody know what could be causing these symptoms, I thought it is my lg intestine has become attached to the mesh under neath and causing the spasams. Thanks
Mesh removed at UCLA med

Gilbert, AZ

#4125 Apr 13, 2011
Becky M wrote:
Hi, I am looking for some advice. I had a ventral hernia repair with DualMesh in 2009 because of a laproscopic surgery hole that did not heal or wasnt sewn up and became a hernia 8 weeks after surgery. A year after surgery I was exercizing and pulled something do abdomen situps. Since then if I do anything that is physical on my stomach like riding in a truck on bad roads and get jarred around. I start having spasms under where my mesh is that penatrates into my back. I also have nausea, lathargic feeling, and pain. Pain killers calms it some, but every 3 hrs have to repeat them until the spasams stop. I also have a small knot on the top of my insision on the inside of my stomach that causes pain. I got better for about 6 months and then for the last month have not been able to get better. Does anybody know what could be causing these symptoms, I thought it is my lg intestine has become attached to the mesh under neath and causing the spasams. Thanks
I had my Kugal incisional hernia mesh removed 3 wks ago. I have small bowel obstruction three times and had indigestion and pain ever since I had the mesh implanted almost 6yrs ago. Even though I had all kinds of scans and hospitalized several times of intestinal blockage, severe pain and unidentified infections none of the doctors found the mesh to be causing any/all of my problems.
I kept on insisting my symptoms/problems began AFTER the mesh implant but none of the doctors wanted believe or admit the mesh ccould be causing the pain and digestion problems. As mentioned, I lived with the pain and the discomfort for many years then late last year, I felt that if I did not find the solution to my pain I would be dead in a few year. I developed autoimmune disorders, hives, muslcle pain and all kinds of odd symptoms. So I began to research on the internet and found out the exact mesh I had in my body was recalled six months after the implant but I was never told by anyone.
I went to my surgeon eight times to complain about the surgery but he denied mesh is causing any of the issues. I finally found a doctor in LA, CA that believed me and agreed to remove it so I had it explanted 3 wks ago. Although I am still in recoverying state I could tell the difference in just few days. After 4 days of bowel rest after the mesh removal, I was slowly given food and I digested better then prior to the surgery. Now, I have no problem digesting and the pain and the lump has disappeared.
The doctor who removed the mesh told me, my intestines were tangled up in a ball about 7-8feet, it was hardened, inflammed with evidence of chronic infections. This ball of intestines were right below the mesh. The ring had been broken and bent. My body was rejecting the mesh so it was inflammed for almost 6yrs. My body probably developed autoimmune disorder trying to get rid of the mesh out of my body but it couldn't.
Cont...
Mesh removed at UCLA med

Gilbert, AZ

#4126 Apr 13, 2011
cont....

Most doctors are in denial that mesh causes problems so the Radiologist that read the CT scans do not "see" the problem. The surgeon who remove it saw the problems on the CT scan that the other doctors were not able to see. Not all doctors are created equal. You must fight for your health, be your own advocate. Question everything and trust no one, be guarded. Sadly, most doctors are out to make money rather then to do what is right for the patient.

Thank God I found a surgeon that is the true epitomy of a doctor. There are several doctors who specializes in removal of the mesh, you need to find someone with lots of experience. Do not just go to any surgeon. I feel for you, I've been in your place and it is awful...there is hope out there.

BTW, I too did a sit up and heard something pop with severe pain immediately after, that lasted over six months then the pain got covered up by too many other intestinal complications. Now it all makes sense since the doctor found the ring inside the mesh broken, which probably happened when I was trying to exercise.
Shirley

Doha, Qatar

#4129 Apr 17, 2011
What is the name of the mesh that is recalled?
Anonymous

Holden, MO

#4130 Apr 17, 2011
TO"Mesh removed at UCLA med "

Who was the surgeon who removed your mesh at UCLA?

Thanks
Mesh removed at UCLA med

Gilbert, AZ

#4131 Apr 17, 2011
Anonymous wrote:
TO"Mesh removed at UCLA med "
Who was the surgeon who removed your mesh at UCLA?
Thanks
Kugal Composix, mostly large sizes were recalled for rings being broken.

The surgeon was Shlomo Raz, he is a Professor at UCLA. He is the Chief surgeon for female pelvic reconstruction, department head. He basically fixes the damage that other surgeons did to many women. Many had several surgeries by other surgeons and were written off, saying the rest of the mesh can not be removed. However, Dr. Raz removes most that other doctors can't. If Dr. Raz can't take it out then no one else can. Luckily before going to a local surgeon I went to Dr. Raz directly and he was able to remove both of my meshes at the same time, ALL of the mesh. Dr. Raz is a true epitomy of what all doctors should be, sadly it's rare to find doctors like Dr. Raz. He still practices medicine to help women because he knows there are only handful of really skilled mesh explant surgeons even though thousands of women need the meshes removed. He has been a doctor for 45yrs, so he has lots of experience, he is in his late 70's yet he is a "sharp as a knife" per his OR nurse. I am told he is very fast and accurate, over four decade of experience is a big factor. Plus, he has great bedside manners, he truely cares for his patients. When I was hospitalized the nurses told me, he is unlike other doctors that only knows patients as numbers but Dr. Raz KNOWS his patients and is very picky about having his patients taken care well. I've had other health issues prior to this mesh problems and needed several procedures and surgeries so I know about medical care. I probably had about 25 anesthesias and have seen probably 20 or so doctors and by far Dr. Raz is in his own league.

I first emailed him in January on a Sunday morning at 1AM, he responded at 6AM, I replied back and he replied back at 10AM, that's the type of doctor he is. He spent many hours communicating with me and looking at my Op reports and medical records even before I technically became his patient. Most doctors would not have given me few minutes without wanting to bill me but not Dr. Raz. His colleagues and nurses all call him "Super Doctor", they don't know how he does it nor know where he gets all his energy.
Sue

Walled Lake, MI

#4132 Apr 19, 2011
I had abdominal hernia surgery, I had infection from the mesh but the surgeon said the mesh was okay. I had 3 more infections until they finally decided to take the mesh out. I had to wear a wound vac for the drainage and spend thousands of dollars because my insurance wouldn't pay for this wound vac. Well I still have my hernia and it is as large as a kids small football. I'm afraid to try anything else to have it repaired. From all the infections I even ended up on dyalasis for 4 weeks. They want to try pig skin but I'm afraid might just live with the hernia. I have no pain or any other symptoms except I can't lift for than 2o lbs. Anyone ever have a hernia repair with pig skin?
justme

Fargo, ND

#4133 Apr 19, 2011
Hello Sue,
One of my patches was replaced with collamend fm this is a bio mesh or pig skin. Be aware there are synthic-bio mesh as well.I still have three synthic mesh in me they are going to be removed shortly and replaced with bio mesh. Dr are going to do abdominal wall reconstruction.
Sue

Walled Lake, MI

#4134 Apr 19, 2011
justme wrote:
Hello Sue,
One of my patches was replaced with collamend fm this is a bio mesh or pig skin. Be aware there are synthic-bio mesh as well.I still have three synthic mesh in me they are going to be removed shortly and replaced with bio mesh. Dr are going to do abdominal wall reconstruction.
Thanks justme, I'm still afraid but I have to get it done. Thanks for the info. Now I just have to find a surgeon who uses the bio mesh
Terrie

AOL

#4135 Apr 22, 2011
11:02am c-time. Friday 04/22/11. To all women that have had female, bladder sling surgery with the AVAULTA ribbion mesh surgery. I just saw a advertisment for call Attorney Davis & Crump @ 1-800-928-9191.
All Meshed Up

Boulder, CO

#4136 Apr 27, 2011
I now have been turned down by every law firm I have contacted concerning damage done by Prolene mesh. I now have been turned down by 2 law firms concerning Kugel mesh that was implanted to repair the damage done by the prolene. Call us when the Kugel breaks and you are damaged is what I am being told. Meanwhile I have had to apply for disability because I can no longer work as I used to. I am in pain 24/7. I almost passed out yesterday because of a "rolling pain" that hit me while I was in a state office trying to get assistance. Scared the hell out of the lady there. So.....we have been used as guinea pigs, damaged and experimented on and then ignored and left to deal with what is left. The lawyers suck, the FDA is criminal and nobody gives a rats butt about us. I have no family, no job, no legal representation and no money. What am I to do now? I still try to work but spend the next couple of days curled up in pain. This is not a life any more. Its survival. And I am a mild case in this wonderful world of Mesh.
angi meadows

Colorado Springs, CO

#4137 Apr 27, 2011
I had Proceed surgical mesh sewn into my abdomen in april 07. How do I find out if the lot number of my mesh is on the recall list. I have had problems ever since that surgery with pain. I have had 2 lawyers turn me done for the class action suits. I have no idea how to find a local lawyer who might do something. I have a dr now who believes me about the pain and the mesh but they are putting me through all sorts of tests before they will support a surgery to take the mesh out. This is the 2nd time I have had mesh problems. The first mesh from 05 was put in with little pigtail screws. The pigtails came out and the mesh twisted, pigtails caused abscesses in my abdomen.
Terrie

AOL

#4139 Apr 29, 2011
All Meshed Up wrote:
I now have been turned down by every law firm I have contacted concerning damage done by Prolene mesh. I now have been turned down by 2 law firms concerning Kugel mesh that was implanted to repair the damage done by the prolene. Call us when the Kugel breaks and you are damaged is what I am being told. Meanwhile I have had to apply for disability because I can no longer work as I used to. I am in pain 24/7. I almost passed out yesterday because of a "rolling pain" that hit me while I was in a state office trying to get assistance. Scared the hell out of the lady there. So.....we have been used as guinea pigs, damaged and experimented on and then ignored and left to deal with what is left. The lawyers suck, the FDA is criminal and nobody gives a rats butt about us. I have no family, no job, no legal representation and no money. What am I to do now? I still try to work but spend the next couple of days curled up in pain. This is not a life any more. Its survival. And I am a mild case in this wonderful world of Mesh.
I have been in your shoes. Go to Binder & Binder they are a SS Disability Attorney's.( I used them they did good by me). They have offices thru out the USA. Their main Office is in NY City. They are a BROBONO, they fight for you. Any attorney takes 25% of what you win. How it works is, a whole bunch of red tape. Papers and more papers at first. Keep all doctor appointments, Don't deal with SS they within 6 weeks dein your claim.( Gov. Red Tape). Then thats when you hire attorneys, Stay with out of area attorneys. Small town attorney's rather have ties to doctors hospitals etc.... Ok it can take up to use to be 18 months to get a gov hearing. but now with all Fed Gov budget cut's I don't know how it will work. Anyway once all paper work is filed with attorneys, attorneys deal with ss( also if health insurance is involed ss will make them pay first. You can not own any extra property stocks bonds IRA etc... it all counts against you. SSD bases your payments on your highest payed job. SS deals with all of your medical records from many years, so make sure any and all doctor visits are filed by you, get copies you also are allowed to have your med records that SS gathers. Get back to the drawn out filing which drags out. Along with hearing . From the date you file get deined you hire attorneys up to the time you go to trial or court hearing, all that time accounts as back pay. You win your case SS figures your back pay along with a monthly gov check then 25% is taken out of payment. Google SSDisability. For more imformation.
steven435

Lawson, MO

#4140 Apr 29, 2011
doe's anybody have info. on the next trial????
All Meshed Up

Boulder, CO

#4141 May 4, 2011
Thanx Terri for the info. I have to wait to be denied then I can go to a lawyer. Contacted Motley Rice, was sent a package, sent it back with a lot of info and was then told ( after I called them and talked to Megan) that as soon as my Kugel breaks give them a call.Until then I have to deal with the pain and frustration of being disabled. Wanted to sue Ethicon for the damage the Prolene did to me but can't. Want some sort of compensation for the damage done by the mesh from a simple little hernia gone bad because of the mesh. But I can't find a lawyer that has the balls to go after these people/manufacturers. I know it takes alot to get a case going but when you have a pathology report that states that the damage done to me was because of mesh you would think that there would be something I could do. But there isn't. So at the tender age of 54 I am now disabled. I don't qualify for SSDI because I made to much in 2008 so now its SSI at $645 a month. Can you live on that? I have no idea what I am going to do. The pain is getting worse, the distension of my right side is getting worse and yet there is no recourse. I do not trust Motley Rice to do the right thing after talking to them. I hope they help someone. I don't see a great deal happening. All I read about on this blog is when is the next trial. I don't read about the great success's against Kugel Bard, Ethicon...? WTF? Tell me I am wrong. I don't think I am.
Ouch

Lawrence, MA

#4142 May 4, 2011
Sue wrote:
I seriously regret having the mesh put in. Had I known of this risk I would never have had it done. Please if anyone knows of a solutions, I would be interested to know.
You should, first, determine what mesh was used. You can do this by requesting the records of your operation.
Next, find the lot and reference numbers from, the product (tiny sticker on the operation report, under prosthetics/implants).
Next, go to www.fha.gov/medwatch and report your symptoms. Let's all make them listen by telling everybody the truth about this product.
Next, contact a good personal injury attorney and tell him that you want to file suite against the manufaturer for injuries sustaind by you, due to their.defective product.

Then find a doctor who believes you an look for medical options.
Terrie

AOL

#4143 May 5, 2011
Sue wrote:
I had abdominal hernia surgery, I had infection from the mesh but the surgeon said the mesh was okay. I had 3 more infections until they finally decided to take the mesh out. I had to wear a wound vac for the drainage and spend thousands of dollars because my insurance wouldn't pay for this wound vac. Well I still have my hernia and it is as large as a kids small football. I'm afraid to try anything else to have it repaired. From all the infections I even ended up on dyalasis for 4 weeks. They want to try pig skin but I'm afraid might just live with the hernia. I have no pain or any other symptoms except I can't lift for than 2o lbs. Anyone ever have a hernia repair with pig skin?
Hi, Not to take away from your message. I have be told that alot of the infection on mesh comes from cross contamination off of latex surgery gloves, the powder (CORN STARCH). I researched about the possible connection. The article I read also stated alot of hospital illness is also related to powder.
Terrie

AOL

#4144 May 5, 2011
All Meshed Up wrote:
Thanx Terri for the info. I have to wait to be denied then I can go to a lawyer. Contacted Motley Rice, was sent a package, sent it back with a lot of info and was then told ( after I called them and talked to Megan) that as soon as my Kugel breaks give them a call.Until then I have to deal with the pain and frustration of being disabled. Wanted to sue Ethicon for the damage the Prolene did to me but can't. Want some sort of compensation for the damage done by the mesh from a simple little hernia gone bad because of the mesh. But I can't find a lawyer that has the balls to go after these people/manufacturers. I know it takes alot to get a case going but when you have a pathology report that states that the damage done to me was because of mesh you would think that there would be something I could do. But there isn't. So at the tender age of 54 I am now disabled. I don't qualify for SSDI because I made to much in 2008 so now its SSI at $645 a month. Can you live on that? I have no idea what I am going to do. The pain is getting worse, the distension of my right side is getting worse and yet there is no recourse. I do not trust Motley Rice to do the right thing after talking to them. I hope they help someone. I don't see a great deal happening. All I read about on this blog is when is the next trial. I don't read about the great success's against Kugel Bard, Ethicon...? WTF? Tell me I am wrong. I don't think I am.
All meshed up, Hi. I'm 53 yrs of age. Been in your shoes. It's dam if you do & dam if you don't. I'm seen been deiened jobs called a job risk now with 4abdominal surgeries. Maybe I should of rewrote comment. I was denied the first time around. I filled the SSDISABILITY paper work out online. If you do something wrong they deien you.(But yet I do know afew people have gotten onto SS on the first try). But all the red tape BS All the triple copies of medical records. Might ass will say life history. What ticks me off is WE pay into the system every week or every paycheck, but got be almost dead before you get it. I have lost everything from the first screwed up hernia repair. and while waiting for almost two years for judge granting me temp ssd. But my husband say's that because I have multi health problems I will stay on it. Slowly blindness, low thyroid, joint problems, edema, bloodpresure, other words I'm over the mountain slidding down the other side. I said I wanted to have body given to bio science, when I pass away. I figure this could help learn what genes go wrong. any way. I used BINDER & BINDER they were good by me. I would reuse them again. What scares me is with the clowns in the white house and them not taking pay cut and living on smaller incomes like us that put them where they are. it's us that get hurt, with all the government cuts. Their was word that cuts were going to be made heavy to SS less Social workers. Form readers, up to what few judges that do the trials. Just to much BULL CRap. Which in part I blame on Health Insurance Companies, SSD Medicaid Medcare. Wall Street. Wall Street controls all the rest like puppets on knotted strings.
jeremy fulk

Mcnary, AZ

#4145 May 8, 2011
i got a double herina and i want to know if my mesh patches were recalled i got it like three weeks ago

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Addiction program to provide Bible-based recovery 45 min in god 19
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 1 hr worried 6,845
News In tobacco-loving Va., bars to quit cold-turkey... (Nov '09) 5 hr martin garey 28
insulin 6 hr dillyboy1 1
News Mosquito district opens door to aerial spraying 6 hr kathrin huber 2
Esophagus Spasm - How my mom STOPS her Esophage... (May '12) 18 hr AlainV 220
Gay/Bi k...k 19 hr Top me 2
News What does a low blood platelet count mean? (Jun '07) Jun 19 genuinelady2 887
More from around the web