Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns ...

Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt...

There are 8238 comments on the PRWeb story from Feb 4, 2007, titled Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt.... In it, PRWeb reports that:

Patients should review the latest recall information to see if they have been implanted with the recalled device and seek medical attention if symptoms such as unexplained or persistent abdominal pain, fever, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at PRWeb.

hernia shadow

AOL

#2609 Sep 14, 2009
htt://www.goremedical.com/en/f ile/AD0683.pdf
Dave

Rapid City, SD

#2610 Sep 14, 2009
AllenP wrote:
Can someone tell me what C-Qur mesh is? There are many types of mesh out there? And Dr. David Grischkan uses a particular type of Gortex mesh?
C-QUR mesh is a lightweight polypropylene mesh that is coated with Omega 3 fatty acid. It is manufactured by Atrium medical group. The Omega 3 fatty acid is designed to decrease the inflammatory response.
Howie

Centreville, VA

#2611 Sep 14, 2009
If anyone googles, Dr. Roth, he has an Ask the Doctor forum where he answers hernia related questions.
Carolann Hayes

AOL

#2612 Sep 14, 2009
Medical Nightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
I have chosen to prolong surgery for as long as possible. I too suffer from severe pain. This is how I have been handling it. Typically my pain level is a "6", when it gets to around to a level of "8-10" I take my pain meds and constantly use an ice pack 20 min. on 20 min off. Simply lie prone for about a half an hour if she can manage to stay still for that long. If she can not stay still, wrap the ice pack in a towel or something that she can either hold up against her abdomen or secure it to her body.
I can only sit or stand for 2 hours at a time. My abdomen distends and causes extreme pain under these conditions: stress, eating, and activity of any kind. So I try to limit eating to one small meal a day with small snacks throughout the rest of the day. As soon as I feel an increase in pain I begin the ice packs. I also am in prayer with God a lot.
I know that this next one might be a little hard but hopefully your wife can try it. I refocus my energy (what little I have) to drawing or playing Sudoku. These are my hobbies. Maybe she has a hobby that she can use. This does not always work but sometimes it can take your mind away from your physical being and redirect it to your mental being. Just keep on trying anything and everything. Hopefully she will hit upon something that will work for her. Yoga has not worked for me but might for her. I am only offering up what I do, the answer is not the same for everyone.
Please accept my gratitude, you are a God send for standing by her and being supportive. This is just as hard on you as it is on her. Remember to take time out for yourself.
May God stand by the both of you in this time of tribulation.
I found a wonderful surgeon to help my husband with his recurrent incisional hernias. Please get in touch with Carolinas Hernia Center. They are experts and can work miracles. The surgeons name is Todd Heniford. You can find this on the internet. May God Bless.
AllenP

Tacoma, WA

#2613 Sep 14, 2009
I think what you are referring to is Dr. Scott Roth who had his own hernia clinic at the University of Maryland. He is in private practice now with his own question and answer forum.
____Sandra____MS ____

Brandon, MS

#2614 Sep 16, 2009
hernia shadow wrote:
___Sandra__MS___, Hi. How far are you from Colbert Count AL????( i am in the North West Corner of the state. About 1 1/2 hours from Ms and same from Tenn. I found a surgeon here that everyone says is good. he removes and does stitch, uses a light weight mesh. he likes touse Lap. surgery. He goes through everything. My neighbor told about one other surgeon from Huntsville, he also seem very caring, he has miltary surgery back ground.
Hi Hernia Shadow, Sorry just getting back to you.
I am about 261 miles from Jackson, MS to Colbert County Alabama. Looked it up on MapQuest. Could you give me his name? My e-mail is [email protected] I've heard so many horror stories about replacing mesh with a different mesh. The mesh that is in me now is very thick and uncomfortable also I have a kidney under there too. Both of them together feels really heavy. This surgery is going to be very expensive anyway I look at it. I'm praying for you that you will find solutions to your hernia problems real soon. I've never been in such a mess in all my life. But hopefully we'll conquer this problem soon. Thanks for the information. God Bless Sandra
Hernia702

Las Vegas, NV

#2615 Sep 16, 2009
Check out www.NoInsuranceSurgey.com Free Consulation No Obliations! Hernias/Gallbladders
Anonymous

Browns Mills, NJ

#2616 Sep 16, 2009
Carolann Hayes wrote:
<quoted text>
I found a wonderful surgeon to help my husband with his recurrent incisional hernias. Please get in touch with Carolinas Hernia Center. They are experts and can work miracles. The surgeons name is Todd Heniford. You can find this on the internet. May God Bless.
If I were you, I would stay away from Dr. Heniford, he has caused many people to suffer with the mesh that he implants. When as a patient and you go back to him for complications, he becomes very very nasty and then brushes you aside, check back thru these posts for Bruces posts and Bruces email and contact him immediately. He has posted on Dr. heniford. You should talk to him before you let Heniford do anything. You may change your mind after speaking with Bruce and with what heniford did to him.
AllenP

Tacoma, WA

#2617 Sep 16, 2009
After researching this board a little more, I don't think even if it is one patient, a surgeon should get angry with them. If this is the case with Heniford, then we should look elsewhere. He may have achieved notoriety simply because he was or still is on the board of the American Hernia Society.
This in itself, does not make someone great. It may only be to put a feather in their own hat, etc, have a paper published, etc.
john dauley

Mesquite, TX

#2618 Sep 16, 2009
Katy wrote:
Hi,
if you or someone you know has had a hernia repair surgery and a MARLEX mesh patch was used and this has caused pain or other complications, please email me with your story. My husband and I are trying to find enough people for a lawsuit against the manufacturer, as he is in so much pain on a daily basis. Thanks.
Hello Are you still haveing problems? I had this Marlex put in me had had problems but Dr. all told me it was nothing. I have heard that Marlex shrinks and as it does it pulls and streeeches your inards to the point of pain,bowel problems,infection,and many other problems..wanna talk? [email protected]
AllenP

Tacoma, WA

#2619 Sep 16, 2009
When did you have the Marlex put in? Was it lap or open?
steven435

Osceola, MO

#2620 Sep 17, 2009
i have had five henia surgeries ,they were all done by dr scott werner in kc mo.i have had problem from rupture to infections.i have rupterd again .does anyove know a dr. in my area.
Steamer

Seattle, WA

#2621 Sep 19, 2009
Should Hiatal hernias be "stitched" or can something like Rebound HRD be used? Can the MD please comment?
Dave

Belle Fourche, SD

#2622 Sep 19, 2009
Steamer wrote:
Should Hiatal hernias be "stitched" or can something like Rebound HRD be used? Can the MD please comment?
Management of hiatal hernias is different from inguinal and ventral. The reasons for closing these is complex and related to difficulties with acid reflux or occasionally giant hernias with risk of blood flow being cut off to the stomach. People who have an asymptomatic hiatal hernia need no treatment. When they are fixed a simple suture repair, or suture repair re-enforced with a gortex or felt pledget. This is my personal opinion, but I do not believe that a large artificial mesh should be placed next to the esophagus. I occasionally will place a biological mesh over the suture repair if they are large since these hernias have a high chance of recurrence. I would worry about an artificial mesh eroding into the esophagus.

“God Loves You!”

Since: Sep 08

Miami Beach, Florida

#2626 Sep 19, 2009
Steamer wrote:
I am not a medical professional. Just someone who has a hiatal hernia.

I have had a hiatal hernia since fall 2004. I DID NOT have surgery. My chiropractor adjusted it and did a couple of acupuncture treatments. I am careful about food combinations, chew my food really well and take digestive enzymes called Zypan by Standard Process. I rarely eat fried foods, pizza or heavy foods like them.

It works for me AND I DID NOT HAVE SURGERY! I don't have acid reflux because I eat properly.

SURGERY IS NO MAGIC BUTTON AS IT IS MADE OUT TO BE BY SURGEONS.

Hernias recur, mesh or no mesh. It is just a matter of time. If you have mesh the first time, you will have larger mesh the next time and the next time.

FIND A SURGEON WHO HAS THE SKILLS TO DO A TRADITIONAL HERNIA REPAIR...WHATEVER KIND OF HERNIA IT IS.

Surgeons who use mesh don't have the skills to do a traditional repair - OR - they want to do more surgeries faster and make more money off of you.

THESE DOCTORS ON THESE SITES...HOW DO THEY HAVE TIME TO BE ON THESE SITES AND STILL BE DOCTORS?

AND WHY ARE THEY GIVING MEDICAL ADVICE WITHOUT SEEING YOU?

BE CAREFUL WHO YOU LISTEN TO...THEY JUST MIGHT BE A SALES REP OR COMPUTER I.T. GUYS PAID BY THE PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES OUT HERE STEERING YOU TO HAVE MESH IMPLANTED. THEY WANT YOUR MONEY $$$!!!

blessings to all, hope you find solutions, Lana
Steamer

Tacoma, WA

#2627 Sep 19, 2009
Thank you Dave, I really appreciate your insight. I am having trouble with my 2nd lap Nissen repair. I had my first repair because of Barrett's esophagus and a Hiatal hernia about 4 years ago. The hiatal hernia was stitched. This had reduced the Barrett's esophagus to the point where it is for all practical purposes eliminated. But the wrap had "slipped" about 7 months ago and I had to have a redo. The redo revision of the lap Nissen was done in Mid June. But about two weeks ago, I started to have should and chest pain and felt a little swallowing problems. I don't feel any acid reflux. It seems just like it was 7 months ago where the wrap had slipped. My original surgeon had also done the hiatal hernia repair by stitching it. I am going back to see him. I think I need to repeat some of the tests like the Upper GI and Barium swallow. If I need another revision, do you think it is best to just take the Nissen down? I know this is difficult, but would this be better rather than to risk a third failure? I think my original surgeon is top notch but there is another surgeon by the name of Dr. Ralph Aye who has done or assisted with about 3,000 of these Lap Nissen.
Do you know Dr. Ralph Aye or heard of him? He works at Swedish Hospital in the Seattle area. It could very well be that there is nothing wrong with the hiatal hernia repair and my pain is just from the slipped Lap NIssen. I would find it hard to believe there is an early failure of the hiatal hernia which he used stitches and no mesh.

Thank You
Dave

Belle Fourche, SD

#2628 Sep 20, 2009
Lana Keeton wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a medical professional. Just someone who has a hiatal hernia.
I have had a hiatal hernia since fall 2004. I DID NOT have surgery. My chiropractor adjusted it and did a couple of acupuncture treatments. I am careful about food combinations, chew my food really well and take digestive enzymes called Zypan by Standard Process. I rarely eat fried foods, pizza or heavy foods like them.
It works for me AND I DID NOT HAVE SURGERY! I don't have acid reflux because I eat properly.
SURGERY IS NO MAGIC BUTTON AS IT IS MADE OUT TO BE BY SURGEONS.
Hernias recur, mesh or no mesh. It is just a matter of time. If you have mesh the first time, you will have larger mesh the next time and the next time.
FIND A SURGEON WHO HAS THE SKILLS TO DO A TRADITIONAL HERNIA REPAIR...WHATEVER KIND OF HERNIA IT IS.
Surgeons who use mesh don't have the skills to do a traditional repair - OR - they want to do more surgeries faster and make more money off of you.
THESE DOCTORS ON THESE SITES...HOW DO THEY HAVE TIME TO BE ON THESE SITES AND STILL BE DOCTORS?
AND WHY ARE THEY GIVING MEDICAL ADVICE WITHOUT SEEING YOU?
BE CAREFUL WHO YOU LISTEN TO...THEY JUST MIGHT BE A SALES REP OR COMPUTER I.T. GUYS PAID BY THE PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES OUT HERE STEERING YOU TO HAVE MESH IMPLANTED. THEY WANT YOUR MONEY $$$!!!
blessings to all, hope you find solutions, Lana
Mam,
I know you had difficulties with surgery, but you are misguided on this topic.
Dave

Belle Fourche, SD

#2629 Sep 20, 2009
Steamer wrote:
Thank you Dave, I really appreciate your insight. I am having trouble with my 2nd lap Nissen repair. I had my first repair because of Barrett's esophagus and a Hiatal hernia about 4 years ago. The hiatal hernia was stitched. This had reduced the Barrett's esophagus to the point where it is for all practical purposes eliminated. But the wrap had "slipped" about 7 months ago and I had to have a redo. The redo revision of the lap Nissen was done in Mid June. But about two weeks ago, I started to have should and chest pain and felt a little swallowing problems. I don't feel any acid reflux. It seems just like it was 7 months ago where the wrap had slipped. My original surgeon had also done the hiatal hernia repair by stitching it. I am going back to see him. I think I need to repeat some of the tests like the Upper GI and Barium swallow. If I need another revision, do you think it is best to just take the Nissen down? I know this is difficult, but would this be better rather than to risk a third failure? I think my original surgeon is top notch but there is another surgeon by the name of Dr. Ralph Aye who has done or assisted with about 3,000 of these Lap Nissen.
Do you know Dr. Ralph Aye or heard of him? He works at Swedish Hospital in the Seattle area. It could very well be that there is nothing wrong with the hiatal hernia repair and my pain is just from the slipped Lap NIssen. I would find it hard to believe there is an early failure of the hiatal hernia which he used stitches and no mesh.
Thank You
Start with an barium swallow. It's always possible that the wrap may have slipped, but it maybe that the wrap is also a little tight. This should be identified on the barium swallow. You were right to have had it done in the first place since Barrett's can occasionally progress to cancer.
Steamer

Tacoma, WA

#2630 Sep 20, 2009
To Dave, my surgeon said after my 6 months followup the esophagus looked so good that it was not worth trying take biopsy samples. I told him that I was thinking about the BARRX machine or Cyroablation. It appears now the Barretts may be completely eliminated. I have some neck, shoulder and chest pain. I wonder if there is some sort of twist of the wrap? It may be a good idea to try to wait for another 3 months to see if any of pain subsides.
I think Dr. Ralph Aye has developed a surgical procedure which incorporates the best of the Hill Repair and regular NIssen repair. He says the success is spectacular. Dr. Aye studied under Dr. Hill. I think the Nissen is still considered experimental and all the time the surgeons learn more from the variations of it.
But I think it would be best to see my original surgeon first before I see Dr. Aye. He does know Dr. Aye.
gerald

Bainbridge, PA

#2631 Sep 21, 2009
Mikail wrote:
Hi! I have read the terrible complaints of those who had hernia mesh patch surgically resulting with infections and pains etc. I had a surgery with stitches technique about 25 years ago from the left side and it broke three years ago. Now, the doctor I have visited, suggests me to implant one mesh patch on each side. But, after reading these experiences, I am scared to opt for the mesh. Perhaps, stitches would be safer. If I accept the doctors suggestion for mesh surgery, what should I pay attention to for a safe and successful surgery? What kind of mesh would be advised? What can be done to prevent infection?
Thank you for the help
a doctor is to do no harm.find one who will not recomend or put in mesh.live search mesh complications, putting mesh in is not in your best interest.Mesh is a foreign body.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In tobacco-loving Va., bars to quit cold-turkey... (Nov '09) 36 min martin garey 29
News Mokena couple fight to keep fence they say prot... (Aug '12) 2 hr Robert Balcom 108
News Addiction program to provide Bible-based recovery 3 hr Knowledge is good 33
News Bill to ban airport smoking soars through Senat... 3 hr Scrow Tumm 5
News 12 year old makes devastating video about anti-... 4 hr John 1
News Anti-vaccination program offered to gifted chil... 4 hr John 1
News Healthy Living (Oct '11) 11 hr movietubenowinhd 3
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 18 hr ARivera9987 6,846
More from around the web