Select Specialty Hospital Charleston, WV

Select Specialty Hospital Charleston, WV

Posted in the Health Forum

Hurt by poor care

New York, NY

#1 Jul 14, 2012
I was a victim of serious malpractice that caused a couple month of serious pain and treatment (that should have been unnecessary) due to doctors delivering less than the standard of care. I also witnessed my "roommate" have to go what should have been unnecessary chest surgery (HIPPA does not exist in non-private rooms) because of an elementary mistake. That's all I'll say about it.
Sad but SOP at Select

New York, NY

#2 Jul 15, 2012
My mom was a patient there and we visited often. Like you our mother was in a semiprivate room. We were asked to step out into the hall as a doctor preformed surgery on her roommate with the door left open. They are barbaric with what they did to that poor lady. She had bedsores and operated on her with little regard to her comfort or her privacy. Noone cared. We heard her screams of pain. When we complained to the head of nursing he did not care. We complained to head administrator and all he said was he did not have a private room for our mother. We asked why surgery is done on someone with a roommate in the next bed and was asked if the curtain was pulled. Is a curtain enough? What about the door being open and the poor woman in pain? We were told it would be looked into and Mr. Weber never did get back to us. He is very unprofessional and did not even make eye contact with us. I am sorry for your pain and suffering. I am sorry my mom had to be there. I wish they would give thought to what others see and hear. Money is not everything. Select has some good people and some worked really hard at giving good care, but no one should be put through surgery in a semiprivate room curtain or no curtain.
Hurt by poor care wrote:
I was a victim of serious malpractice that caused a couple month of serious pain and treatment (that should have been unnecessary) due to doctors delivering less than the standard of care. I also witnessed my "roommate" have to go what should have been unnecessary chest surgery (HIPPA does not exist in non-private rooms) because of an elementary mistake. That's all I'll say about it.
Run away from here

Charleston, WV

#3 Jul 16, 2012
Not a good place people. Keep your loved ones away. Cornerstone in Huntington WV is a fine place with exemplary care. Select is a s?it hole run by a douchebag.
Mary Ann Wooten

United States

#4 Feb 18, 2013
I see things haven't changed since my mother was a "patient" there in 2010. She was in a private room, with 24 hour care provided and paid for by us. If they hadn't been there, I shudder to think what would have happened. The place is dirty, the employees are callous, the party atmosphere was disgusting, and the overdose of morphine to my mother was horrendous.

Her "case worker" happened to be the charge nurse on the day the overdose occurred.(Oh and did I mention that her "last day" in the hospital was on Monday and the OD occurred on Sunday.) An IV Drip of morphine was ordered, and the nurse taking care of my mother asked the charge nurse/case worker to help her calculate the ratio of saline to morphine. Well, they couldn't or didn't find the chart they were SUPPOSED to use, and manually calculated the ratio, and my mother ended up with 5x the amount of morphine she should have received.

Yes, my mother was on "comfort measures, was not getting any better, and was in the dying process", but comfort measures doesn't mean careless calculations of medications to hasten someone's death in a not so comfortable manner.

An autoposy had to be performed (against my mother's wishes and her family), her entombment was postponed because of the autopsy, and the family will NEVER recover from the atrocity that happened at Select Specialty.

The charge nurse/case worker was fired, and slapped on the wrist by the Board of Nursing, but my mother is still gone.

Run away from Select Specialty, don't put someone in there you love.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jim Carrey Misused Photo of This Woman's Autist... 16 min anothervoice 3
News How Undocumented Immigrants Help Strengthen Our... 26 min Your Ex 203
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 1 hr Lilu 6,380
Jeddah massage (Apr '14) 3 hr Man 11
News Generic Online Pharmacy Xmas Offers (Dec '12) 4 hr Steve 13
News California governor signs bill limiting school ... 6 hr arcanaknight 5
News 11 Countries with the Highest Rates of Autism i... 7 hr arcanaknight 6
More from around the web