Call for tax hike on cigarettes

Call for tax hike on cigarettes

There are 5 comments on the Halstead Gazette story from Mar 11, 2014, titled Call for tax hike on cigarettes. In it, Halstead Gazette reports that:

Campaigners are calling on Chancellor George Osborne to increase the tobacco "tax escalator" from 2% to 5% above inflation year on year More than 100,000 people would quit smoking in one year alone if the Chancellor increased the tax on cigarettes to 5% above inflation, according to 80 leading health charities and experts.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Halstead Gazette.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#2 Mar 13, 2014
"More than 100,000 people would quit smoking in one year alone if the Chancellor increased the tax on cigarettes to 5% above inflation, according to 80 leading health charities and experts."

"The move would net the Government an extra 485 million in the first year and 7.4 billion over the next five years, it said. "

Um, if more than 100K people quit smoking annually, where's the money going to keep coming from?

"Increasing taxes not only helps smokers to quit but also deters children from starting a life-long addiction."

Children in the UK can buy cigarettes? The tax hike would deter their purchases?

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#3 Mar 13, 2014
Dan wrote:
"More than 100,000 people would quit smoking in one year alone if the Chancellor increased the tax on cigarettes to 5% above inflation, according to 80 leading health charities and experts."
"The move would net the Government an extra 485 million in the first year and 7.4 billion over the next five years, it said. "
Um, if more than 100K people quit smoking annually, where's the money going to keep coming from?
"Increasing taxes not only helps smokers to quit but also deters children from starting a life-long addiction."
Children in the UK can buy cigarettes? The tax hike would deter their purchases?
Yes. Children, in case you did not know it, refers to anyone under the age of 18. Make it so expensive a guy has to choose between buying smokes or taking his girl out and getting laid.

Location hidden

#5 Mar 13, 2014
Tobacco Cologne wrote:
<quoted text> That girlfriend better have a strong stomach or no sense of smell like crows and buzzards.
Two smokers were riding in their beater when they ran over a skunk. The girl gets the guy to stop to look at the poor wounded animal. "Lets take him to the vet." she says to him. "How are we going to do that?" He asks her. She tells him "I'll just pick him up and hold him in my lap. It's only a few miles. He'll be okay." The male smoker asks her "Well, ok, but what about the stench?" She replied "It'll be alright. I'll hold his nose."
Dan

Omaha, NE

#8 Mar 14, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Children, in case you did not know it, refers to anyone under the age of 18. Make it so expensive a guy has to choose between buying smokes or taking his girl out and getting laid.
I know what "children" are, legally.

They can buy cigs in the UK?

Didn't know that.

The UK thinks that you have to be 18 to buy them. Better call them and let them know.

Location hidden

#9 Mar 14, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what "children" are, legally.
They can buy cigs in the UK?
Didn't know that.
The UK thinks that you have to be 18 to buy them. Better call them and let them know.
Dan- in case you were not aware- many children under the age of 18 are able to procure cigarettes. All anyone is doing is making it more expensive and difficult for them to do so. Doing this gives them the opportunity to actually think about becoming a filthy nicotine addict who is a slave to cigarettes before they actually go that far.It is cutting off the replacement consumers from the cigarette companies by targeting an age group where kids tend to start smoking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dialysis patients frustrated with Washington Ri... 1 hr 4th July Party Pl... 32
News Jim Carrey Misused Photo of This Woman's Autist... 1 hr anothervoice 10
News President takes victory lap on Supreme Court Ob... 2 hr serfs up 9
News Hawaii Raises Smoking Age to 21 - Could New Yor... 2 hr WTF Really 6
News California cracking down on anti-vaxxers 3 hr friend 14
News California governor signs strict school vaccine... 4 hr moose 21
News Why I take my daughter with me to the gynecologist (Dec '14) 4 hr thenose 45
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 15 hr Lilu 6,380
More from around the web